• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

5 days on DDP...mostly good, with a couple exceptions. Another update post #16

3PRINCESSMOM

Used to be 3PRINCESSMOM, but alas she nows has a P
This was our "left the kids at home" trip!:cool1:Me :cool1: DH

Day One:
Lunch=CS @ SunShine Seasons
Me: Beef flatbread w/salad, lg water, & waffle cone
DH: turkey sandwich, lg water, & waffle cone

We both enjoyed our lunch. No sides are offered with the sandwich so DH was slightly unsatisfied in terms of portion

Dinner=TS @ Spoodles
Me: Calamari, Shrimp & pasta entree, orange & white chocolate cake. I also enjoyed a Spoodle-rita.
DH: 4 cheese flatbread, beef kabobs entree, ice cream sundae

This is a favorite. This was tie for our best meal, overall; and was, again, the absolute best in terms of service. A plus for us, ESPN private event was going on out back so we got a glimpse of a few of our favorite personalities. A minus, there is some substantial renovations going on and the entire center of the restaurant is boarded up; a definite detractor in terms of atmosphere.

Snacks:DH got a chocolate croissant from Boardwalk bakery for breakfast, then we got a box of donuts from Pop that evening for the next morning.

Day two
Lunch=CS @ Cosmic Rays
Me: Ribs combo meal, lg water, chocolate cake
DH: Double cheeseburger combo, lg water, chocolate cake

The ribs were really, really tough (I have enjoyed them on previous trips), but the mashed potatoes and carrots were good. DH always loves his burgers! I am not a fan of those pre-packaged cakes, either. Again, DH has no problem with anythign chocolate flavored.

Dinner=TS @ Le Cellier
Me: Mussels, mushroom fillet, creme brulee sampler. I also enjoyed a Torontopolitan, (good, but not as good as the Spoodle-rita)
DH: salad, 7 oz fillet, Whiskey chocolate cake

This was another fantastic TS meal. We went late, during Illuminations, so the place was relatively quiet and our watress was phenominal. For feedback purposes, the mussels app was very salty due to the amount of bacon. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I will continue with Day 3 next
Preview: Tusker House and Mama Melrose

Great reviews! We are eating at Spoodles and Le Cellier on our trip next month, so it was great to read the good feedback! Can't wait to read more :thumbsup2

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Day Three:
Lunch=CS @ Tusker House
Me: Salmon, mashed, green beans, lg. water& chocolate cake
DH: Fried chicken sandwich w/ steak fries, lg. water & cheesecake

The best counter service in any of the parks! This place is so consistent...always great! Eating next to John Smoltz and his family was a big plus for DH.

Dinner=TS @ Mama Melrose
Me: Calamari, Shrimp, chicken & pasta entree, tiramisu. I skipped a cocktail here
DH: Salad, chicken parm, chocolate cake

There was nothing "wrong" with this meal. However, when you compare it to 1. other dining experiences at WDW, it is disappointing and 2. we are used to truly authentic Italian cuisine here in Boston, (and at home). I will say our server was quite nice.

Day Four
Lunch=CS @ Rosie's All American Cafe
Both: Double cheeseburger combos, lg waters & chocolate cake

One word...GROSS! Nothing was good...oh, except the bottled water. By far this was the worst meal I have ever had at WDW. We mistakenly thought, 'a cheeseburger at WDW is a cheeseburger at WDW.' NOT!

Dinner=TS @ Whispering Canyon Cafe
Both: All You Care to Eat Skillet
DH got a milkshake and kahlua chocolate cake (are you noticing a trend here?)
Me, I had some kind of margarita and the tortilla w/ ice cream

We weren't sure how this would be, having a party of only two. It was still fabulously fun! Our server was wonderful, but wasn't the most animated; there was a lot going on all around on this particular night, though, so we still had a blast. The skillet was wonderful; both DH and I love the pulled pork. I need to also mention the corn on the cobb...it was SO FRESH! You know how sometimes when you order c-o-t-c it is soggy 'cuz it has obviously been soaking for a while? Not at WCC; cooked just right!

Next up, Day Five: Tangierine Cafe and Kona Cafe

Loving your reviews!! So glad to see you enjoyed both LeCellier and WCC - can't wait to see Kona!!

I am also loving your reviews especially since we have adr's in May & changed our plans from Mama Melrose to Spoodles on our MGM day & it sounds like we made a good choice. We also have adr's for Le Cellier, WCC, & Kona. Our ressies for Le Cellier are 8:10 so I guess we'll miss Illimunations too.

Thanks for posting! Love your reviews. Can't wait to hear how you liked Kona!!

Thanks for the reviews.

We'll be going to WCC for the first time in August. It was nice to hear a good review.

Day Five:
Lunch=CS @ Tangierine Cafe
Me: Chicken & lamb platter, lg. water & only dessert option w/DDP is baklava
This was a solo meal 'cuz DH went to the Braves game.

This is a favorite CS place! Great food quality and quantity, and the atmosphere is grand. It was a bit chilly (not Northeast chilly, Florida chilly), but I put on my sweater and sat outside, in the sun, and people watched.

Dinner=TS @ Kona
Me: Crab cakes, fillet mignon entree (mashed & grilled asparagus), Banana carmel creme brulee. I thoroughly enjoyed my mai tai!
DH: Sticky wings, Beef teriyaki entree, kilauea torte.

This was a fantastic meal. We got a great table location, on the far right side of the restaurant. Our server was wonderful; she was attentive, she made suggestions and complimented our choices. I ordered my fillet medium-rare. It came out completely purple; I explained that it was just a bit too under-cooked. I told her I feared that if I sent it back it would then come out over-cooked. She was reassuring as she took the entree back. Within a couple of minutes she brought it back done perfectly. No problem what-so-ever. Also worth noting, I found the banana too over powering in my dessert.

Notes about our DDP experience:
We felt like we ate like royalty the entire trip. We are big eaters so although I agree with all the "it is SO MUCH food" comments, we did just fine.

You'll notice I made no mention of our snacks...sufffice it to say we did use our snack credits; as for reviewing them...they were all wonderful! We used a few for breakfast foods (Main Street Bakery, Boardwalk Bakery, and boxed donuts), a few on Mickey bars, I got a Dole whip, and then a couple of snacks for the plane ride home (cheesecake, side salad and bag of pretzels).

We had one CS left (DH didn't use it on day 5), so we got a Chicken Caesar salad w/ fruit cup for dessert from Pop to go as we left. On the plane we mixed the side salad and caesar salad and split it, I got the fruit cup, he got the cheesecake and we shared some pretzels.

When I got cocktails with dinner, some places included an 18% gratuity some places did not. We always left a little more than what was included w/ DDP.

FYI: We were at WDW until late afternoon on Day 6. We decided to change our plans earlier in the week and use all our TS credits on dinners, (initially we thought we'd do a CS and pay oop for dinner on Day 5 and use a TS on breakfast Day 6). Knowing that breakfasts are relatively inexpensive, we did a late seating at Crystal Palace on our departure day.

We will return everywhere except Mama Melrose and Rosie's All American.

Day Three:

Dinner=TS @ Whispering Canyon Cafe
Both: All You Care to Eat Skillet
DH got a milkshake and kahlua chocolate cake (are you noticing a trend here?)
Me, I had some kind of margarita and the tortilla w/ ice cream

We weren't sure how this would be, having a party of only two. It was still fabulously fun! Our server was wonderful, but wasn't the most animated; there was a lot going on all around on this particular night, though, so we still had a blast. The skillet was wonderful; both DH and I love the pulled pork. I need to also mention the corn on the cobb...it was SO FRESH! You know how sometimes when you order c-o-t-c it is soggy 'cuz it has obviously been soaking for a while? Not at WCC; cooked just right!

Next up, Day Five: Tangierine Cafe and Kona Cafe

Did you happen to order more of the Skillet, or was what they originally give you enough? I am curios how long you have to wait at WCC for more if you asked for more from the skillet?

:goodvibes Thanks for sharing. We have an adr for WCC and
the skillet is now what I want. DH loves milk shakes so this was good info. :thumbsup2

Glad to hear you enjoyed Kona. last year, they brought out a
special chocolate dessert with happy anniversary on it for us.
They were so nice there!
:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter