• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

5 Days at Disney, But Staying at Universal. Is This Crazy?

Jalva22

DIS Veteran
The thread title pretty much sums it up. But here's the story: Planning a June visit. Will have 2 park days at Universal and 5 at Disney. We have stayed at Disney several times, including the Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Our last visit was 2 nights at Royal Pacific and then we moved to Wilderness Lodge.

This year, however, I'm finding nothing other than rack rate at Wilderness Lodge for our dates. I love it there, but it's not worth rack rate to me. The only other deluxe we can afford is Animal Kingdom, but with a pool view. That's okay, but not super exciting. Honestly, if location wasn't an issue, I'd rather just stay at Royal Pacific.

So, I'm kicking around doing just that: staying at Royal Pacific the entire trip.

Does anybody else spend that much time in Disney parks but still prefer to stay at Universal? Is this just a crazy idea?

Why not?, people do it the opposite way all the time....staying only at Disney and travelling to US/IOA. I don't see a difference. Plus the longer you stay at a US resort the better discount you can conceivably get (Stay More Play More).

Have you considered renting DVC points for the Villas at Wilderness Lodge? Several forums here at the DIS are dedicated to explaining how that works. We've done it and saved a bunch of money - you get to stay in a Deluxe resort for the price of a Moderate.

I don't think it is crazy but remember to factor in the cost of parking at both locations. I am guessing it will still be cheaper to stay at Universal.

Staying at Uni isn't crazy.

Leaving Universal parks for WDW is, according to my son, who is 95% OVER WDW. :)

Might want to leave some room in the budget to add on an extra day for Universal, just in case. :)

We noticed while driving there that, assuming you don't hit highway traffic, it takes more time once you've exited for WDW to get to a certain place than it does to get down the highway. It's just not that many miles away.

I have always been a big Disney resorts fan. We have stayed at the RPR and CBBR recently and feel like they are better for the value then Disney.

I wanted to return to the RPR on our last trip, but the rest of my group wanted to stay at the new resort. It was cheaper then a Disney value and in my opinion put them to shame. I dont know that I want to go back to Disney we just really think the US resorts out shine them in so many ways.

It takes about 15-20 mins to get to WDW from US. We avoid I4 due to all the traffic/congestions. We take Turkey Lake Rd (if you take Hollywood Way or left out of RPR it dead ends into Turkey Lake) which turns into Palm Pkwy, straight south, left on Apopka Vineland and DTD is your next right. So much easier and not as time consuming as I4.

WDW should shiver when reading this thread. People are actually questioning whether it is worth doing a 5-day WDW vacation from a USO location!

WDW should shiver when reading this thread. People are actually questioning whether it is worth doing a 5-day WDW vacation from a USO location!

Better than that we gave the good mouse the boot entirely after our trip a few months ago. I sent them a nice email telling them where they could shove their magic bands, that are anything but, and fast pass plus. The three best days of our September trip were at universal, so factor in express pass and it was an easy goodbye. There just is no advantage to staying at Disney, but express pass is a huge seller of universal. So I'd say stay at royal pacific.

Better than that we gave the good mouse the boot entirely after our trip a few months ago. I sent them a nice email telling them where they could shove their magic bands, that are anything but, and fast pass plus. The three best days of our September trip were at universal, so factor in express pass and it was an easy goodbye. There just is no advantage to staying at Disney, but express pass is a huge seller of universal. So I'd say stay at royal pacific.

We did the same thing and cancelled a 7 night WDW trip for Universal.

Whatever fits your budget, whatever you want to do, as it's your vacation. Vacations are fun and frivolous and why not stay where you want to stay and do what appeals to you. I really do understand and like to stay at one place the whole time too.

I usually travel high season and rent offsite condos from owners on sites like TUG2.net and redweek.com at less than $1000 a week for a two bedroom / two bath condo with balcony that sleep 6 to 8 (places like Cypress Pointe, Sheraton Vistana Resort, etc. that I think are lovely). These do, though, to make things convenient require a rental car. This, though, for me makes both Disney and Universal onsite seem high and has me in the camp of staying offsite most of the time. (Those Universal onsite perks for deluxe, though, of early entry and front of line are pretty appealing.) We're just looking at one day at Universal/IOA on our next trip, and I'm thinking of adding one night Universal deluxe for those benefits. On our last trip, which unusual for us was low season (crowd level 3s and the week before Christmas week), navigating the Universal parks without these benefits was not problem at all, but for spring break and the high crowds predicted I'd like to have those onsite perks. We also like some resort days and will be doing things like Discovery Cove, SeaWorld, and Aquatica. (Those SeaWorld parks are some of our favorites).

It would be hard for me personally to pay Universal onsite prices for any nights that I wasn't using the perks, but I usually have relatively modest budgets for my Orlando trips. And for our travel dates, I see those onsite deluxe hotels running at over $350 a night (there is a lot of supply and demand pricing there and at Disney too).

Anyway you'll have to tell us what you decide and give us a trip report too after you get back.

Have you considered renting DVC points for the Villas at Wilderness Lodge? Several forums here at the DIS are dedicated to explaining how that works. We've done it and saved a bunch of money - you get to stay in a Deluxe resort for the price of a Moderate.

most members have wised up & want at least $11 up to $13 per point to rent. June for most part for a studio @ WL is 17 points a night during the week and 21 on the weekend. IMO a moderate can be had for less thru the promos. The OP mentions AK, the DVC value studios are typically long spoken for at the 7 month window as are the standard studios at BWV (we own at all three so I have a handle on the booking availability over the years;))

The thread title pretty much sums it up. But here's the story: Planning a June visit. Will have 2 park days at Universal and 5 at Disney. We have stayed at Disney several times, including the Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Our last visit was 2 nights at Royal Pacific and then we moved to Wilderness Lodge.

This year, however, I'm finding nothing other than rack rate at Wilderness Lodge for our dates. I love it there, but it's not worth rack rate to me. The only other deluxe we can afford is Animal Kingdom, but with a pool view. That's okay, but not super exciting. Honestly, if location wasn't an issue, I'd rather just stay at Royal Pacific.

So, I'm kicking around doing just that: staying at Royal Pacific the entire trip.

Does anybody else spend that much time in Disney parks but still prefer to stay at Universal? Is this just a crazy idea?

Only a fool would pay rack rate for any hotel room imo. Orbitz likely has their promo codes out thru June at this point which include WDW. Last year in Oct I was short a few nights for the WDW portion of our trip and nothing was to be had @ DVC. A week prior to our arrival, the Orbitz rates dropped like a rock.

If you don't have DVC membership or APs you will pay for parking @ WDW, another thing to consider if the cost would be an inconvenience.

There are many nice deluxe resorts in the LBV area which are far less expensive that Disney. The Grand Cypress & Hilton properties are good choices among them.

I would do it but I would have to plan my WDW days a little more leisurly than I would if I were staying on-site at WDW. It wouldn't make sense to do mid-day breaks/resort down time at Universal. You could be rushing to make rope drop (and have to get up pretty early). Might be a hassle with the traffic and late hours if you go commando staying all day and leaving at closing to head back to Universal. If were comfortable enough to do my Disney days arriving around 10am and staying until 7 or 8pm, then I'd be willing to stay at RPR. Plus I think the option to walk to City Walk and relax with a drink is nice too.

Remember if you don't stay at Disney you will have to wait longer to book your FPP as well as pay for parking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter