5:00 vs 5:15 'Ohana

Caitriona

Mouseketeer
For most of my ADRs, I made first seating reservations, because I figure that will work well with my 2 youngest kids (1 & 3)

'Ohana opens for dinner at 5:00 and I debated between 5:00 & 5:15 ADRs, and ultimately decided for 5:15 to give us a bit of buffer getting there from MK. I booked a few days before the $10/pp credit card guarantee was in place, so even though I'm tempted to change over to 5:00, I kind of don't want to 'have' to re-reserve with a guarantee if I don't have to (it's not one we'd miss, but I do have 3 young kids...)

Is there an overly huge difference between 5 & 5:15? Is there just a slightly higher chance that we could get seated in a less than desirable area? Is it possible we could get seated early? (I'm not really bothered about getting seated early, just really hope to get seated as close to our ADR time as possible and not too much later...)

I'm just having one of those "why did I do that?" sort of moments, since I had a choice of all times...

I think you should be fine. You are still early in the seating to not have a long wait, if any wait at all. I'd try to get there at 5:00 as they say to arrive 15 mins prior to your ressie time anyways.

We did Ohana's our last trip at 5:10. First of all, be prepared to wait to check-in. There was a long line to get to the podium. Second, we weren't seated at our ADR time, actually I recall being sat something like 20 minutes late. But, we really like it and scored ADRs 3 weeks before our trip and got 5:15.

WOW! I can't believe that. I would have thought that it being so early that there wouldn't be that long of a wait. :confused3

We have eaten there once but it was a 7:30pm ADR. I figured we waited because it was later.

OP I change my answer I'd change the ADR time to 5:00pm and check in early. You could take the kiddo to the beach and look around the resort while you wait.

We had a 5:00p reservation in September for Ohana, and we got there 4:45p. The line to check in was LONG!!!! From the podium all the way down one whole side of the upstairs. It was nuts!!

If you are in line at 4:30 (4:45 latest) you should be fine. They will check you in and you will should be seated when you reach the podium.

We always try for the 5-5:30 slots and we are always there at 4:30 checking in and are sat within our time frame.

As I was told by a CM on the phone a couple years ago....an ADR is NOT a guarantee of an exact time of seating. ONLY a guarantee of "A SEAT". We've found that to be true especially since they started this whole "free dining" thing and now there are people going to eat in droves at the nicer places, more than ever. Used to be you could walk up to alot of these places and get a table pretty easy, sometimes a little wait. Over the years that has allllll changed. So IMO 5-5:15 really isn't going to make much difference. I would NOT chance loosing a reservation that you already have by canceling just for a 15 min. diff....people are watching these ADRs like hawks and it will disappear before you can get back to grab a new one!!

They are really the same thing. Just get there like you had the 5 PM slot and you'll be treated as if you did. Most of the restaurants will just seat you in the order you were checked in. If you're too early, they won't check you in. But those times are close enough it won't matter.

We had a 5:00p reservation in September for Ohana, and we got there 4:45p. The line to check in was LONG!!!! From the podium all the way down one whole side of the upstairs. It was nuts!!

We saw that crazy long line last year, too. It was actually 2 separate lines--1 for people checking in, and 1 for walk-ups desperately hoping to squeeze in. But that's the only time I remember seeing a line like that--just before the restaurant opened AND during free dining.

OP: stick with 5:15 because it was booked before the credit card guarantee rule was enacted. You can still show up early, and will probably be seated early. If not, the outside the bar at the 'Ohana is a great place to hang out!

WOW! I can't believe that. I would have thought that it being so early that there wouldn't be that long of a wait. :confused3

Since they open at 5, everyone who has a 5pm ADR is there to check in. Plus a lot of people who have 5:10, 5:15, 5:20 ADRs, etc. We ran into the same thing at Tusker House. Once they are open, people checkin in for ADRs is a little more staggered.

Since they open at 5, everyone who has a 5pm ADR is there to check in. Plus a lot of people who have 5:10, 5:15, 5:20 ADRs, etc. We ran into the same thing at Tusker House. Once they are open, people checkin in for ADRs is a little more staggered.

Oh, that is good to know. And we also have a few other first seating lunch ADRs (Crystal Palace, Tusker House, CRT...) so I will keep that in mind for those, as well

Ohhh........... I may not do Ohana after all. I scored a 5:15, and my oldest son is not a big sit and wait person.

I'm torn.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter