4th of July Report - Photos/Stories/Ideas?

DisneyPhans

Disney Phan since 1978
Man I love this board. I've received so much help and input from others. I don't mind sharing some fun family pics from yesterday, as I'm sure some of us have to deal with large families consisting of multiple units of varying ages.

Feel free to post any photos/cell shots/selfies/descriptions of anything you would like to share from 4th of July. I'm fascinated by how others make their own fun.

Home & Block Party. There's no wrong choice, but I think typical American activities involve a home or block party, a park, and/or an event. We have a large family so our party occurred in Ladera Ranch, where there was a large community festival. There was face-painting, rides, waterballoon battles, and a local band. We can enjoy anything that's fun for all ages and this seemed to work out perfectly. On my way to my family party, I also saw families at Mile Square Park - pinatas, BBQ, outdoor soccer, and that looked fun, too.

Food. Watermelon-feta cheese salad, Hot dogs, Bratwurst, Beef Tri-tip, Homemade Hummus & Chips, soft peanut-buttery brownies. The meat was generally from Costco/Ralph's. One of the ladies made the salad and it was my favorite. I made the Hummus from scratch.

I would love to see if anybody has shots of any food, activities, etc. Did anybody do something Disneyish, or did we just have local/home fun?

Your photos are great and your hummus looks absolutely delicious! The swing dancers at the Royal Swing Ball in PFF had a dress up night on Saturday, 7/02. Everyone dressed up in red, white, and blue. Great band (Stompy Jones) and lots of fun all around. 4th of July weekend is always fun at DLR. Dressing up and dancing just adds to the festivities. :)

Your photos are great and your hummus looks absolutely delicious! The swing dancers at the Royal Swing Ball in PFF had a dress up night on Saturday, 7/02. Everyone dressed up in red, white, and blue. Great band (Stompy Jones) and lots of fun all around. 4th of July weekend is always fun at DLR. Dressing up and dancing just adds to the festivities. :)
LOL!! OMG you got to go to DLR? Pics or it didn't happen!!! I love swing, big-band, and retro Disney. I grew up playing Clarinet and recorder, and singing chorus in musicals. Love all pre/post Depression, Pre/Post War music and imagery.

Thanks.. glad you like Hummus. There it is during prep phase. I'm very into creating my own things, do-it-yourself, homegrown crops. Y'know, I had this interesting epiphany after reading more about Walt.

Walt Disney never preferred restaurants or fancy food. He ate very modestly and liked produce. He wanted a good basic salad, then a traditional meat dish with one vegetable.

Walt Disney's Favorite Foods:

ENTRÉES:
• Chicken Fry Cube Steak
• Roast Lamb with Potatoes and Gravy
• Pan-fried Chicken with Potatoes and Gravy
• Roast Chicken with Dressing and Gravy
• Spam and Eggs with Biscuits and Honey
• Oyster Stew with Crackers and Cheese
• Breaded Veal Cutlets with Bread and Gravy
• Chasen’s Chili and Beans
• NOTE: Only one vegetable with meals — corn, canned peas, leaf spinach, stewed tomatores, etc.

SALADS:
• Carrot and Raisin
• Waldorf
• Tomato and Cucumber
• Chef’s Salad

DESSERTS:
• Jell-O — All flavors with pieces of fruit
• Diet Custards
• Pineapple — Fresh or Canned
• Fruit — Fresh or Canned

I would have thought he ate at the best restaurants, but he wasn't into that. He actually preferred homemade stuff. I can make some MEAN salads with organic homegrown crops, and maybe do some sculpted hummus.. alfala sprouts for hair, cucumbers for eyes, etc. You should try it out once I figure out what our food plan is going to be. It's looking more and more like we can't do Restaurants -- our party size may actually exceed 40.

I want the Restaurants for the photography and of course to eat well, but it's equally Disney-ish if we made simplistic 3-course American meals.

LOL!! OMG you got to go to DLR? Pics or it didn't happen!!! I love swing, big-band, and retro Disney. I grew up playing Clarinet and recorder, and singing chorus in musicals. Love all pre/post Depression, Pre/Post War music and imagery.

... It's looking more and more like we can't do Restaurants -- our party size may actually exceed 40.

I want the Restaurants for the photography and of course to eat well, but it's equally Disney-ish if we made simplistic 3-course American meals.

If you ever visit DLR on a Saturday, check out the Royal Swing Ball (usually from 7pm-10:30pm). Live bands, swing dancing, lots of fun. :) Also, check out the Ellis Island Boys in DCA (Paradise Gardens gazebo) -- one of the tightest bands at DLR -- music of the 20's and 30's.

Regarding your group size, can you book at least one meal at a DLR restaurant? For example, you could book a half ballroom at one of the hotels or try for a private room at the Jazz Kitchen or CCR. I think Tortilla Jo's books the second story for private parties. That would give a great view of DtD and people watching.

I'm sold on RSB. PERFECT. Probably will hit that on Saturday morning. Sister-in-law (pulling red wagon in Original post) is fine with everything we've talked about (except CHOC-5k). Few in my family do physical activity. She likes EVERYTHING, including the idea of VIP. It's everyone else that's scrooge-like.. I'll probably just do her DH (my baby cousin) a favor and let him sleep in on Saturday.. He, along with most other adults would probably prefer to lounge on saturday during the day. I'll just bring her and several random kids (up to the limit of my VIP) for a six-hour run.

Okay the Ballrooms... You do want me to keep all my hair, don't you? I can vividly remember the DLRH ballroom experience like 2 years ago when Sis had her Disney wedding. It was close to $30,000. Looks like he's smiling, right? Then look at the hairline.. I was losing hair watching that, too. For just a dinner for 40 in a ballroom, prices are like $8000-$10,000 at Grand Californian.

I'm actually intrigued by Tortilla Jo's. They DID say they can accomodate 40 on the phone.. that's a seriously nice-looking upper deck view at surprisingly reasonable food prices ($11-$30). I would get good photos with outdoor lighting, and great background. I sent an email to their special events requesting quotes and availability. Looks good for Saturday early lunch, because everybody at the suites should be awake by then. if we can pull that off. If Jazz kitchen has workshop on that date, a few of us will walk the kids over to that...

BTW today I saw the DIS board live stream of Star Wars Galactic fireworks show at WDW... MAN, if they had that on 4th of July that's the best firework show I've seen anywhere. I hope MHP fireworks are good.

I'm sold on RSB. PERFECT. Probably will hit that on Saturday morning...

I'm actually intrigued by Tortilla Jo's. They DID say they can accomodate 40 on the phone.. that's a seriously nice-looking upper deck view at surprisingly reasonable food prices ($11-$30). I would get good photos with outdoor lighting, and great background. I sent an email to their special events requesting quotes and availability. Looks good for Saturday early lunch, because everybody at the suites should be awake by then. if we can pull that off. If Jazz kitchen has workshop on that date, a few of us will walk the kids over to that...

BTW today I saw the DIS board live stream of Star Wars Galactic fireworks show at WDW... MAN, if they had that on 4th of July that's the best firework show I've seen anywhere. I hope MHP fireworks are good.

Just remember that the RSB happens on Saturday nights (usually starts at 7pm). Also, I've heard good things from people who've planned large events at Tortilla Jo's. I know when I've planned large events at the Jazz Kitchen, things have been great. There are rooms upstairs that can be closed off for a private party.

If MHP does do the "Halloween Screams" fireworks this year, they are one of the best shows DL does. Look on YouTube for a good video of the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter