40th Birthday Trip - Jan 2006 - Day 5 and Summary

isanda

Mouseketeer
Cast
Ian (Me!) the old looking one
Sandra DW – never gets excited
Alison – DD (12) – starting to enjoy the ‘Big’ rides
Christopher – DS (6) – amazing stamina
Peter – Brother – the older looking one ;)

Our final day at DLP today. We had the taxi booked for 11.30, so we thought it best to just smooch round the hotel for the morning.

We had our final breakfast in the Captain’s Quarters and while everyone else went off to the games room, I went back to the room to wait for bell services to pick up the bags.

The ‘doorbell’ rang and it was time to say goodbye to the lovely suite. Our bags went into storage for a while and we spent the rest of the morning round the hotel, reading the paper and making final purchases in the shop.

Our taxi arrived dead on time and our bags were loaded in and we were off. You do get a few extra touches when staying in a suite as we were not even allowed to touch our bags. I’m sure they don’t just do it for the tip!!!

We arrived at CDG airport far too early as usual and in a very sparse terminal had too much time to kill and too little to do.

Another excellent flight back to the UK with Jet2.com and back to a slightly warmer Leeds. My brother, not being the greatest fan of the French, was desperate to have some Yorkshire fish and chips on the way back…..but nobody else could really muster up the interest.

So how would I sum up the trip?

Bad things!!!

Smoking…..smoking….smoking….everywhere. In the hotel, in the parks in the queues…just everywhere. It really did start to get on everyone’s nerves after a couple of days.

Disney Village. This whole area needs some serious money spending on it. It looks very tired and run down. The whole area seems a bit neglected.

The lack of manners!!! The way people will push and shove to get to see characters and grown men (!) will push their way in front of a child that has been waiting patiently for an autograph.

Disney Studios. Oh dear!! It really gets no better. Tower of Terror and the new Toon Town that are due to open in 2007 will make some difference, but even with that, it is not a park that can occupy you for a full day.

The CM’s. Most of the CM’s at Paris lack that Disney spark. I know they are badly paid and I know it was very cold…but that is one of the things that makes Disney what it is!

Pin Trading. My kids love pin trading, but the range of pins and opportunity to trade seems to have gone downhill at Paris. I think economics are kicking in here..
General_223.jpg

So enough of the moaning what about the GOOD STUFF!

The Suite at Newport Bay. What a lovely suite of rooms, with added extras like fresh flowers, lovely toiletries and the surprise gifts we received. The VIP Fast Pass was a real benefit too, ride as many times as you want with hardly a wait.

Fantillusion. The first time I had seen this parade. It was spectacular and a lovely end to the trip.
General_250.jpg

Bufallo Bills. Again, in all the times we have been to DLP, we had never done this show. It was great fun…the kids really enjoyed the interaction and the food and drink was good. Although expensive……I wish we had done it years ago.
Picture_101.jpg

Space Mountain…..What can I say??? Still one of my favourite rides ever.

The Christmas Lights and Decorations. The castle was just spectacular.
General_242.jpg

General_238.jpg

Salon Mickey. This was lovely, being in the warm with hot chocolate and food whilst waiting for the park to open. The shareholders’ card also gave us good discounts in the shops and restaurants….well worth buying those few shares.

Being 40!! Well they do say Life begins at 40!!!!
Picture_051.jpg

Would I go back to DLP? Probably not for a long time. I have been lots of times and some of the magic has gone for me. They need some serious investment, and some of the construction going on is positive, but I fear it needs a lot more.

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. :goodvibes I can't think of a better way to spend a special birthday!

A great report Ian and very interesing. Thank you :goodvibes

Disney Studios. Oh dear!! It really gets no better. Tower of Terror and the new Toon Town that are due to open in 2007 will make some difference, but even with that, it is not a park that can occupy you for a full day.

They seem to have some plans to to considerably spruce up the Studios - maybe you should try it again in few years time. :)

Disney Village. This whole area needs some serious money spending on it. It looks very tired and run down. The whole area seems a bit neglected.

But, unfortunately they were just finishing make over of the Village while you were there. It obviously wasn't very effective!!!

Bexx said:
A great report Ian and very interesing. Thank you :goodvibes

They seem to have some plans to to considerably spruce up the Studios - maybe you should try it again in few years time. :)

But, unfortunately they were just finishing make over of the Village while you were there. It obviously wasn't very effective!!!

Sticking balloons to the outside of buildings is not my idea of a make-over sadly :)

isanda said:
Sticking balloons to the outside of buildings is not my idea of a make-over sadly :)

They did take the central columns down, and give the place a lick of paint too (I think). But no, on the whole, it wasn't a particularly spectacular make over!!! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter