4 year old sitting four rows away on plane

Wee Annie

Mouseketeer
Hi! We (me, hubby, two daughters, 4 and 7) just booked a spontaneous trip to WDW for two weeks from today (!). The plane down was almost fully booked, and we took the only 4 seats available -- dispersed all over the plane. We're all sitting in middle seats far apart from each other. Anyone ever deal with this and have suggestions re how to finnagle (sp?) it so that my childen sit with me (at bare minimum, my 4 year old). The problem is no one is going to want to switch to a middle seat! Then again, who would want to sit next to my 4 year old???

Thanks!

Because they often move frequent fliers to first class and assign exit row seats at the airport, it's more than likely that they'll be able to move people around so that one of you is sitting next to your younger child.

Anne

I agree that you most likely will be able to get a seat next to your child. I would keep calling the airlines everyday. Also, when you get to the airport, mention it to the airline employee who calls you to board. I think the airline would also prefer that your child is next to you. So, I am sure they will do whatever it takes to arrange for it. Worse case sceniario, if you have a single sitting next to you, perhaps they will agree to switch seats with your child.

We have Four Children and when we booked our flight down the only seats they had were not together. They told me when I checked in that I should ask to be changed because that airline always opened up more seats before the flight.
Sure enough the morning of our flight we had our pick of the first four rows on the left and right.

On our return trip we had seat assignments that put our two children together and me and DH in different areas of the plane. When we checked in at the airport, they had already moved us around so that one adult was seated next to one child. However, I would definitely call and explain the situation, then ask again at check-in. I really don't think the airlines would want two young children scattered throughout the plane w/o their parents. I know if my DD3 was sitting with a stranger, that stranger would want to move pretty quickly. :earboy2:

Some airlines hold seats in the front for their very frequent flyers. If those seats are still empty on the day of the flight, you can get them. When I'm on a business trip, I do online check-in the morning of the flight to see if I can get a better seat. Last time to Orlando I had 13E, which is middle seat. It was the last seat open on the chart (who wants row 13, and middle on top of it?). That morning when I did online check-in, the exit row was empty, so I took 12F (window). I looked back and a poor tall guy got stuck in that middle seat!

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. I'm sure it will work out somehow. We're traveling on American, and we hade initially chosen seats in the front that appeared to be open, but when we booked (on-line) it bumped us out of those seats. We called and they said they were reserved for very frequent flyers. So knowing that, and with the reminder from you all that they assign emergency seats the day of, I'll just cross my fingers that my four year old will not be wailing several rows behind me (on the other hand, that will probably quickly ensure that she gets moved to me!!!). It's a short flight, though, luckily.

If all else fails, you could always politely ask the person sitting next to you, or the person sitting next to your child if they would mind switching seats.

I also recommend getting there early and explain the situation to the agent at the ticket counter. They should be able to work something out.

You might also ask about preboarding to avoid something like what I noticed happened the last time I flew. I was on a Canadair RJ with 2-2 seating from Chattanooga to Cincinnati. I noticed a woman a couple of rows ahead of me and her son was sitting across the aisle from me. My first thought was maybe she was letting him have a little adventure, but it didn't seem that way from the way she talked to the flight attendant, who then checked in on the son. I told the flight attendant I'd be happy to switch with her if she'd like to sit next to her son, and we did.

Turns out that her son was assigned the seat across the aisle from her, but some inconsiderate person (gotta keep it clean ;) ) decided he wanted to sit closer to the front, and just happened to take the little boy's seat. The lady also had a toddler with her sitting next to her, so the jerk's actions split that party up. I don't know why the FA didn't have the jerk move or ask anyone else if they would mind switching.

I'd concur with talking with the flight attendnat or even beter the ticket agent or gate agent.

I know that I have been involved in both informal seat swaps. "Will you switch with me so our family can sit togehter" as well as being approached by a flight attendant. I often fly alone, so if you ever see me, I don't much care where I sit as long as its in the plane :teeth:

I'd hope that most other people are as understanding in that kind of case.

There is a minimum age limit to sit in the exit rows, so you can't hope for asking for the exit row seats (which cant be assigned in advance, or so I'm told), but hey maybe the people who DO ask for the exit rows will free up some seats together for you.

This happened to us on our return to Boston from Orlando on 1/2. When we had booked the flight 6 weeks prior to our trip, the only seats available were in different parts of the plane. When we checked in to return home, the desk agent for JetBlue was awesome. She noted we were not even near each other. She put my husband in the first row, my daughter right behind him in the 2nd row and myself right behind my dd in the 3rd row. I am sure that once you check in and they see that a 4-yr-old is by herself, she will be put with either you or your husband with your child.

When we flew from Ontario to San Diego we had our seats all booked together, however on every flight (connecting ones) both there and back the airline managed to split us up. We were travelling with 2 and 4 year olds! Boy, were we ticked! On 2 of the flights, the counter people moved us around and we were able to sit together. On the other 2, they did nothing and we had to ask people on the plane of they would move. Fortunately they were very understanding given the kids ages and that the seats were orginally together. So, check in early, and ask the attendant if no luck.

Just got off the phone with usair myself. We're meeting hubby in Orlando (he has earlier meeting) and from Charlotte to MCO myself (26 weeks pregnant), just turned 3 yo and 6 1/2 yo are all in the middle seats of three rows. Reservations told me no other seats available but to check on day of flight. We cannot arrive early since that is our connection but we are hoping the ticket counter will be able to change although I agree that someone really won't want to sit next to either of my little "darlings" especially since only one of them will have the dvd player! Of course, if they'd like to watch over them while I catch a nap, that'd be great too! Good luck, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you if you do the same for us!

The ticket agent or gate agent at the airport you originate from on the first day should be able to move you around as they issue the boarding passes for your connection.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter