4 people killed on rapids ride at Dreamworld

Holy wow. Just awful :(

Yes, from my recollection of riding it years and years ago it's similar to Grizzly.

Such a terrible thing to happen. How sad for those involved, their families and those who saw it happen.

It is the same concept as the Disney rides. I remember taking my dd on it as a toddler. It was a favourite of ours.

The ride looks almost identical to Grizzly River Rapids and Kali River Rapids.
Grizzly and Kali have different types of rafts.

It looks like the Dreamworld raft holds 6:
7964620-3x2-460x307.jpg

Grizzly holds 8:
How-to-Make-the-Most-of-Your-Disneyland-Getaway-9a02160e3c0b47e58bfca2b7cf133110.jpg

And Kali holds 12:
Kali-River-Rapids-may-get-wet-asia-animal-kingdom-walt-disney-world.jpg

The smaller capacity/more narrow rafts have felt a little less safe to me. But who knows if that had anything to do with it.

I'm one of those people that thought of Kali right away, when we were there a couple of weeks ago it was closed in the middle of the day because of whatever reason and then reopened and we ran right in there the minute it re-opened and it really makes you think!

Holy wow. Just awful :(

Yes, from my recollection of riding it years and years ago it's similar to Grizzly.

It's even tamer, children 2 and older can ride with an accompanying adult.

I feel shocked by this, we have ridden this several times with the kids.
These people weren't doing anything stupid and this isn't some dodgy poorly run theme park.

This type of ride is pretty common. There are at least five of this type just in California. The one I remember from my youth had a coin-operated box near the end. It gave the buyer several button presses where water would shoot straight up and back onto the ride vehicles.

Sounds like it flipped over on the return.

Absolutely tragic. My prayers to the family and friends of those victims. I don't mean to be morbid but a couple of the quotes from the news sources are absolutely chilling:
"substantial injuries that were not compatible to living", "crews are still working to recover the bodies from the scene, a complex retrieval that will require heavy equipment". In addition it's been reported that young family members witnessed the deaths. In Tampa at Busch Gardens they have closed their Congo River Rapids ride to double check the safety. It really is alarming that something like this can happen in a mid thrill ride.

Absolutely tragic. My prayers to the family and friends of those victims. I don't mean to be morbid but a couple of the quotes from the news sources are absolutely chilling:
"substantial injuries that were not compatible to living", "crews are still working to recover the bodies from the scene, a complex retrieval that will require heavy equipment". In addition it's been reported that young family members witnessed the deaths. In Tampa at Busch Gardens they have closed their Congo River Rapids ride to double check the safety. It really is alarming that something like this can happen in a mid thrill ride.
The not compatible to living quote made me feel sick.

It's horrible. What a nightmare to go to an amusement park for a day of fun and have it end this way.

Terribly said. Two of the victims were siblings, and I can't even begin to imagine how horrific this is for that family, and also the families of the other two victims.

Dreamworld's usually such a lovely park, but sadly not for everyone this week. :(

Didn't a raft ride like this flip over at Six Flags years ago too? The one in NJ.

Didn't a raft ride like this flip over at Six Flags years ago too? The one in NJ.

Think of it was New England. More injured, some permanently, but they survived.

Yes, there was such an accident at SF New England. All the other Six Flags river raft rides were temporarily closed afterwards.

I think someone was killed on the river raft ride at SF Over Texas, but I don't remember the circumstances.

A GOOSE was killed at NJ SF a few years ago when it got caught in the conveyor mechanism. http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/goose_killed_after_being_pulle.html

Also at Six Flags in New Jersey. Haunted House fire in 1984 killed about 8 people. Lightning Loops coaster ejected girl who wasn't properly strapped in, killing her. Circa 1987.

There have been several incidents over the years.

A tube deflation caused a roll over at Six Flags Texas killing one.

A roll over occurred at what is Now Six Flags New England. All survived.

I know a woman stood up on a ride at Knott's Berry Farm and was injured there.

Horrible news from Dreamworld on the Gold Coast in Queensland. The ride looks almost identical to Grizzly River Rapids and Kali River Rapids.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...-at-dreamworld-gold-coast/7963880?pfmredir=sm
And Universal's Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges and Worlds of Fun's (near me) Fury of the Nile.

Grizzly and Kali have different types of rafts.

It looks like the Dreamworld raft holds 6:
7964620-3x2-460x307.jpg

Grizzly holds 8:
How-to-Make-the-Most-of-Your-Disneyland-Getaway-9a02160e3c0b47e58bfca2b7cf133110.jpg

And Kali holds 12:
Kali-River-Rapids-may-get-wet-asia-animal-kingdom-walt-disney-world.jpg

The smaller capacity/more narrow rafts have felt a little less safe to me. But who knows if that had anything to do with it.
That's an interesting observation. I do know that Universal's holds 12.

upload_2016-10-25_20-29-59.png

And Fury of the Nile (mentioned in the above quote) holds 6
upload_2016-10-25_20-32-20.png upload_2016-10-25_20-32-48.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter