4 people, 3 weeks, 2 resorts and 1 Kingdom! ~Day 18 ~IOA, Whispering Canyon, WS Golf

BONZO

<font color=660066>Has been known to go off topic!
TUESDAY 29th May 2001

IOA, Whispering Canyon, Wintersummerland Golf

Cast list: -

Me (Shaun) - Wallet opener, chauffeur and bag carrier
DW (Alison) - Chief planner, navigator and mother
DD # 1 (Alexandra 7) - Cautious, shy and parking lot number guru
DD # 2 (Laura 5) - Daredevil, chatterbox and sleeper

Up early at about 07:15 and over to Shoneys for breakfast. Not as good compared to Sizzler and Ponderosa IMHO, not as much variety as the others. Still around the $20 mark.

We went to pay with a TC, but this was the only place we found the entire 3 weeks where they would only accept it with photo id. We scrabbled together some cash from DDs, paid and left. I don't remember if we ever paid that back come to think of it!!

We headed out to IOA for the last time this holiday - sad day!

At IOA we went to Guest Services to try and cash the TC. We got stuck behind a lady who wanted to upgrade some cards. She had some old ones that she wanted to upgrade to 2 day, two park tickets and this went on forever! “Can I get an AAA discount?” etc. We were fuming!

When we got to the front of the queue, the lady on the desk said “no, we don’t cash TCs!!!!!
Aaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhh!

We went into one of the shops near the entrance and bought a cheap box of sweets and changed a $100 TC at last. (Mum - please don't read that last comment - LOL)

On to IOA for the last time this trip and we had numerous “last” goes on One fish, two fish, Cat in the Hat etc for the girls.

DW and I went on Duelling Dragons (front row on both), and Spiderman. Such a great ride! And I rode the Hulk for the last time. When we got near the front of Ice, we were asked not to go on as a “boy band” were having some promotional photo’s taken – any ideas? They weren't British - but that's all I know!

We stopped for lunch at the Comic Strip café in Toon Lagoon. We had some Chinese and the girls had the obligatory pizza and burger. The Chinese was not top quality but it made a change although it did repeat a bit on us!

It’s very hot and humid again today and eventually I relent and purchase vest top. The kids think it’s cool but DW has other ideas! - Maybe I'll post a pic for a caption competition!

IOA was full of school groups yet again! – Seminole Middle school were the main “culprits” today!

It starts to cloud over a bit so we head back to CBR. The toys are all on the bed playing in a circle! I take the girls off for a swim while DW has a nap and to try and get rid of the indigestion. The storm passes us by and DW gets a 1 ½ hour sleep – see, still not grumpy!

It was very atmospheric being bathed in sunshine whilst all around the storm was all thunder and lightning with loads of black sky.

We drove over to Wilderness Lodge for dinner at the Whispering Canyon. We had plenty of time before our PS so we had a long wander round. Wow, this place has loads of atmosphere and excellent theming – one day we must stay here as it looks wonderful.

We had the “all-you-can-eat” skillet and DDs had the kids meals. I had a couple of beers and DW had a milkshake. The food was quite good, but we weren’t that hungry as the Chinese was filling at IOA! Warning here - you need to be hungry to eat in this restaurant!

The interaction part of the meal is really luck of the draw with your server. Some people were hooting and hollering all of the time but ours was a little more refined. We did the ketchup thing which made the girls laugh out loud. Spoiler here:

The girls asked for ketchup and the server called out for any spare bottles. We ended up with about 10!!

DDs also took part in the Calgary Stampede and were duely awarded their certificates for taking part. I also liked the way some of the servers used the plate stands to mimic horse shoes! This is where the kids gallop around the restaurant en masse! How fast depends on the number of kids present I think. Ours went quite slowly, as there were LOTS of kids there that night!

We looked around the resort for much longer and we were engaged by one of the CM’s on the pin trading cart. As it was quiet, he showed us a lot of “hidden mickeys” and took us on a brief tour of the WL. That was really nice as we hadn’t expected it. We really will stay here one day!

Well, after that we really had the taste for one of the deluxe resorts - but our wallet could not afford it! Time to head back to the CBR. Well, we didn't even get as far as the car park at CBR when we started feeling depressed at going back to a moderate! (How ungrateful is that? We were so lucky to even be staying on site - never mind at a moderate!)

We talked and talked about the Poly but couldn’t decide on what to do. Ok then, to hell with it – we'd go and sort it out at check in/customer services! Well, we booked the next 3 nights to stay at the Poly! (these were the last nights before we had to go home to the UK). Oh my, what have we done? Can we afford it? - well, no, not really!

Why is there no DIS when you want it – we hadn’t planned this so we didn’t know of any rates or special offers! – So it’s rack rate for us and to hell with the consequences!

I can’t believe that we did that!

We go over to Wintersummerland to play the winter half of the course, which is excellent and we talk about what we just did – so excited!

The mini golf is really clever - very well themed indeed. Lots of interactive bits - spraying water etc.
I'm glad we did this at night - it was good fun all lit up - and all Christmas themed too which is a bit bizarre in May! It's not cheap at over $30 for the 4 of us but it was great!

On the course I scored a hole-in-one (It's quite easy really) , so I shouted out "Who's your Daddy?" and we all laughed! - Later in the round, Laura scored a hole-in-one and shouted "Who's your daughter?" and we all fell about laughing!

So, back to the room to pack our bags, but we managed to do half the packing and went to bed at about 1 am! – it’s too late for any more!

(Note from Alison here - 'We'??????? I did the packing - not Shaun! Maybe we'd have finished that night if he'd helped a bit - rather than finish off the beers!!!!)

Tomorrow: POLY, EPCOT LANDS, BRANNIGANS

Thanks for the wonderful reports - luv reading them!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter