• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

4 Parks One World, and the Sea...5/24/09

g-ma

Mouseketeer
pirate: Ahoy Matey's! What a thrill it is to be both on the recieving end of reading through so many fabulous trip reports :surfweb: (with great anticipation, I might add) and to now be sitting here ready to share our voyage. Our first time at sea for all of us.

The cast of characters is myself (grandma to the group), husband (grandpa), three of our children, their better halfs, 6 of our grandchildren, and a freind who joined my son last minute.

Ahhh, where to start? We excitedly picked this cruise (May 24--28) a year ago around College schedules. The young ones we would pull from school. The older ones had vacation days, and so it was the College age we would need to work around. What did all of this mean...A YEAR TO PLAN!!! LOL, A YEAR TO WAIT!

By the time May of '09 rolled around I had Disney OCD. I had gathered info, mapped out parks, planned, made ressies, door magnets, spa appts., excursions all set, plane tickets bought, Mickey shirts packed and tick tock, tick tock, the dates were finally here. :cool1:

13 family members (and one friend), all set out by plane or car to meet up by the next day in WDW. The itenerary included a lay over for the night upon arrival, off property, 3 days at Caribbean Beach. The 4 days on the Wonder, and then 3 more days at Pop Century. This trip report will focus on the 'Wonder', however I am willing to answer any questions you may have on any of it. Especially our days/nights at the resorts, which also included many character meals. :mickeyjum

This was our first cruise. In my searching on the dis I had come across a list of songs for the sea to get you in the mood. After making a cd for myself I'd pop it in as I drove around town waiting for the dates to arrive and one paticular favorite was 'Come sail away' by, I believe, the Styx. 'Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with me". It beckoned to me with a calm peaceful stillness that my soul so desperately longed for. Thoughts of cool crisp breezes and warm waters came to mind everytime. And still do. The 'Wonder' and Disney staff at it's finest did not for one second dissapoint us. This was a trip to remember, even in it's simple quiet moments the magic happened.

I hope I can bring some of that back home to all of you.

I can't wait to read all about your trip. It sounds like you worked hard to make this a memorable one and it paid off. Looking forward to more of your report!!!

(P.S. My own mother's name is Marlene...it's not a common one, so I know you must be special! :cutie: )

Hi Narnia, Marlene is an unusual name it seems. Would you believe I am the last of 8 and by then my mother had run out of names,lol. I was named after a friend of my sister's. My mother liked the name. :confused3

Sunday morning, the alarm sounded before 7 am. There was much to do before an 8:30 scheduled breakfast at O'Hana's with Lilo and Stitch and the long ( long more out of anticipation than length) drive to Port Canaveral. After dressing, we surveyed the room one more time for any forgotten items, loaded the car and headed to check out.

It was hard to say goodbye to the Caribbean Beach Resort. My days there hadn't afforded me enough time to do all that I had wanted to do. I miss esp. the fact that I never made it into one of the many hammocks to sit for a spell. The scenery was beautiful. Lush. And at night, when we arrived back from a full day at the parks I would take a stroll over to the beach to take it all in. Seems others had the same idea as I was never out there completely alone. It's spread out quite a bit and for this reason it's easy to find a quite spot to see the stars or watch the passers by. Definitely a thumbs up from me.

Check out went quick and smooth but of course we were running late. Just too many of us to get all on the same page. The four of us that flew down were now jammed into the 2 cars that drove down and all of our luggage. The car I was in left first then we were rerouted back as the second car wouldn't start. Ugh, :confused3 a few minutes and a jump and we're on our way to O'Hana's.

Mickey waffles anyone? They were great and so cute we had to take pictures. (pics will come later).

We were hoping to arrive to port early but you know how real life can be. Had to get gas. Stop for beer (yes, you CAN take your own onboard and it saves so much money). The two cars ended up being about half hr. behind each other at this point so we traveled separately and met up at port.

I've never seen a ship this size up close and I was told it would amaze me when it came into view for the first time. My heart jumped! With the excitement of a child I squimered in my seat. "look', I shouted, 'there it is'. I fumbled for my camera but really couldn't get all of it in the picture. And all the while we're moving closer, closer.

Baggage ws a breeze. They do all of the work. Customs also easy. We had pre-regestered at the hotel since we were doing land and sea. No passport for me. No problem. My I.D. and my birth cert. ( now I think you must have a passport) a quick picture and we were being announced. We were home!

I think we made it on around 1:00. Our rooms were ready so we made a quick stop there (our group had 5 rooms in all) and after grabbing some lunch at Beach blanket buffet re-met back up on deck 10 over looking the port where we leisurely snacked on lunch. Honestly, I don't even remember what I had. I was so anxious to keep going. I wanted to take a walk and check out the ship before the life boat drill and sail away party.

And we did just that. Hubby and I went our way as did the kids and their kids. The families went mostly to check out the children's area's. My son went in search of bars (and single girls) and hubby and I walked most decks slowly back and forth just getting acclaimated.

We went back to the room, read through the navigator then it was life boat drill time on deck 4. And for the briefest of moments I wished my son was in our drill section as he is a paramedic/firefighter and I knew he would know how to handle a 'situation'. Funny, it's human to have these thoughts and just as human I suppose to let them go. To believe you are safe. Thank God we were. Kuddo's to the captain and his staff!!!

We flew after the drill to our rooms to drop our life jackets back off and ran to deck 9 up front on the right (our dis meet spot) where a few fellow diser's showed up as well. We were all wearing those pin on photo buttons with our dis names in it.

The grandkids gathered and we pushed them up front when the music started. Mickey and the gang came out. The party was in full swing and I couldn't get enough of it. I was the one (the big kid) smiling ear to ear. Dancing, singing. Yep, that was me!

Disney does a wonderful job of bringing out the kid in you. I was as excited as any 6 yr. old to see the characters arrive on stage. We danced and laughed. Visited with our dis members and really had a great time. I even treated myself to one of those pretty 'adult drinks' they sell.

After about a half hr. or so the crowd started to thin out and I haden't realized it, but we were moving. My son and I ran up to deck 10 to see the Mickey hands wave goodbye to us. And there were so many other people waving. Families had come out. Maybe to wave to someone on board or for a Sunday afternoon adventure of watching a ship leave port. It was exciting! The land pulling away from us. The sea before us.

We had early dinner rotation so we were off to Animators P. Where we met Alex and Nino for the first time. Alex is from France and Nino the Phillipines. They made us feel at home the moment we met. Alex was a little laid back and we had some laughs on his account. He is typical frenchman. A relaxed attitude. Disheveled, of sorts, and I thouroughly enjoyed him. 'Madam, are you fin--ished?' I loved his accent and wanted to take him home with me. He plans to study design in Paris next year and we wish him great success.

Nino, was very sweet. All bussiness but wih a gentleness. He took care of our meals and did it with great pride. I think, he's a Disney lifer. He's been serving 9 yrs. already and hopes to climb the ladder.

Please, please treat your servers well. They are worked very hard and held to such a high standard. Some get up very early and work 12-14 hr. shifts. We saw these guys in Beach blanket in the mornings. Nino worked Scuttles cove on Castaway Cay day and there they were again at dinner with a smile. And we were early seating. They had another seating at 8. Tip them well if you can afford it. They do count on it.

Our table was set for the whole group of us. 14, but the children rarely came with the exception of my grandson David who is two. The kids all wanted to be in the clubs and they took great care to feed them as well so we let the kids play and enjoy what the ship had to offer them. I think, our servers were worried at first (by the look on their face everytime we showed up to a table set for 14 with only 8 or 9 of us in tow) that their tip might be less. Nothing they said, or did mind you. But they only had 2 tables and we were their large party. Again, they depend on these tips. We tipped accordingly on the last night. Kids or no kids. They held a spot for them. Had to set the table in case they came. And did cater at times to the little ones. Like the one time the pager went off and my granson Jimmy (8), wanted picked up. His mom orderd him a dinner, then dad went to get him. Then dinner arrived and so did dad empty handed. Jimmy had changed his mind and decided to stay in the clubs. :confused3

I liked the fare. But I can see why most wouldn't. Esp. if you are a pickey eater ( like my daughter). Disney tries to make it tropical or specialty food by adding sauces or spices. On the menu there is a little DCL logo next to the tried and true favorites of past cruisers. I stuck with these mostly and found them quite enjoyable. On one night I was leaning towards a mushroom dinner, (I know, yuck for most people), but I asked Nino his opinion, and he suggested the dcl choice. Some mix of meat. I think lamb and beef. ' I dunno', I told him. 'I think I'll go with the mushroom dinner'. He said, 'I bring you both!'. Well, they both arrived, and Nino and the past cruisers were right on target. The suggested dish was much better. Very good. And the mushroom dinner even looked bla. In fact i never tried it.

Dessert was the same. I couldn't decide. o.k., well truthfully, I wanted a bite of them all. (YES, I had thrown the diet out the window the minute we boarded, lol). Luckily, they had trio desserts that afforded you a taste of several desserts. And, my Nino, always bringing me out a taste of what I didn't choose. I'll miss him saying, " I bring you both'. Wouldn't it be nice if like were like this and we always had plenty and never had to choose. Kuddo's to Alex and Nino!!! :thumbsup2

great report!! ...looking forward to hearing more and seeing some pics.

So, where was I? Our first dinner. Hubby had gotten lost in the shuffle at the sail away party. So did my son's friend. We were all having a great time and when we turned around they had wondered off. (my husband does this alot). My son and I ran between deck 10 to watch the ship pull out and deck 9 to look for both of them and then finally gave up.

We walked into Animators and both of them were sitting there. Waiting. I was shocked my hubby even knew where to go. The rest of the gang arrived in shifts within 5 mins. of us and we ordered. This is when my daughter felt sick. You could feel the ship pull a little. Now you knew you were moving. I just ordered some gingerale and tried to put it out of my mind. My daughter could not. She excused herself. Came back awhile later then after a few mins. went to her room to lie down.

A few of us had the patch on. I would recommend this. I put it on the night before at bedtime because I heard it could make you sleepy so I figured I'd sleep it off. No problem for me. I was fine. The only side affect I felt, if any was a lil headache the next day and maybe a lil fog, but very slight. All in all I was glad to have the patch on.

I had read on here it helps to eat light the day of sailing. No greasy or fried food. Nothing heavy. And yes, gingerale, ginger snaps, etc. can help. When I felt the ship pull on I orderd my gingerale and sipped it. I had also read the lower the deck the more you feel the ship move. I did feel it most at Animators than at any other time. However, for me it was bearable and I don't like motion and certainly did not want to be sick on vacation.

My daughter who used nothing for the motion sickness never did get sick. She just felt a little sick and couldn't eat that night. Later that night she had settled down after some rest.

For us, hubby and I, the plan was to take in one of the many shows each night. After dinner we walked to deck 4, one of our favorite stopping points to have a smoke. Did I lose some of you? Yes, gasp, we smoke. We sat in thoses comphy chairs taking in the view, having a smoke and waiting for the show 'The Golden Mickeys' to begin.

What a show! I've read to arrive early to the shows and I'm really good at following directions so we did. The cruise director, Christian comes on stage before the shows to give updated info and offer a few laughs.

My husband and I found a great seat toward the front on the aisle. We waiting for the kids but no one showed. They were off doing their thing, having fun. We nestled in and enjoyed the show. The premise is that they are at the Oscars or Emmy's and awards are given to the best Disney comedy, love story, etc. Each pick is acted out and it is as entertaining as I had hoped it would be. Honestly, I thought the kids missed out because each show is only shown once. You cannot see it tomorrow. And I thought it was worth seeing but there is SO MUCH to do on the ship that you cannot do it all. So you must choose what it is you most want to do. It may mean missing out on something fun or entertaing but hey, that's the price you pay to be on vacation in the middle of the sea. Ahhh, you have to make choices and can't do it all. Poor us!

After the show we found some of the group in Shutters looking at pictures and as the nights followed that seem do be the thing to do. Go to shutters after dinner or the show to check out the days pictures.

In the evenings we would walk the decks. Make our way in and out of each bar (usually to find my son, lol.) And on occasion, we would sit to take in some panio music in caddillac lounge or play a game in wavebands.

So day 1 is comming to a close. About midnight or so now. As grandma and mom to everyone I've touched base with them all and everyone is well and safe and having a great time. Most have turned in for the night. And hubby and I walk the deck again and gaze out into the dark sea and dark night. My husband found a spot he liked at night that we had to visit most nights before we turned in. It's on deck 10 looking over the service pool (which you can't see at night). It's near the sports area and pitch black. The closest spot you can get to the front of the ship. Hubby was in the navy years ago and the sea still calls his name. He loved this spot. The dark sky. The quietness of it all. The breeze. And so it was a place we visited during our walks each evening.

One night, a first mate (or someone?) had stepped out of the bridge to get a moment of air. My husband called to him, 'anyway we can get a tour of the bridge?'. The answer was no. But they talked awhile about the ports to come and times we would arrive and the sea. As we walked away, my husband said, 'you can't blaime me for trying'.

It was a good first day. Up early. Long. Full. Anxieties put to rest. Anticipations met. Tomorrow, Nassau.

:thumbsup2Your vaction sounds so great so far. It seems like you are taking advantage of everything! So wonderful. I cant wait to see pictures!
Have fun in Nassau!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter