4 Nights of WONDERful 9.3.06 w/ photos

Ker-Bear

DIS Veteran
The cast: Me-34, KP-36, DS-7, and Grandpa-59 & Vavo-58

We were traveling from South Carolina to Florida on Friday, September 1st after school got out at 2:30pm. The drive down was uneventful and smooth. We hung out at Grandpa and Vavo’s house in Daytona Beach for two nights. On Saturday we went to Daytona Beach and it was a beautiful day. We had a great time playing in the sand and surf.

Embarkation Day

It’s Time!!!!! I had hoped to be out the door at 9:15am but alas that was not to happen. We finally got on the road at about 9:45am and arrived at the port at about 11:00am. Later than I wanted but we still got a decent boarding pass-number 5. Grandpa drove my truck to the port and as we went over the bridge and saw the ships, he started honking and cheering. DS thought this was hysterical and kept pointing at the ship and telling me “That’s the Wonder, Mommy” as he clutched his Mickey Mouse. I can’t lie here; this was anti-climactic for me. I had read so many trip reports about the feeling you get as you cross the bridge, all the emotions. I just didn’t have them. I was excited but not any more so than any other vacation. This wave of worry came over me. Was I going to feel let down like this my whole trip? We easily get into port. Grandpa dropped us all off with the luggage and parked the truck. We went to the desk to have our papers checked and then went to the Castaway Club line (thanks DS!) We got our lanyards and pins with our KTTW card. Mickey Mouse & Minnie Mouse was in the lobby so Grandpa got in the line and I went to check DS into the kids club. I really wanted a trial basis for the Lab since he really didn’t like the Club the last trip. Jessica graciously gave it to me, I got my pager and I was off to the DIS meet. A bunch in our group got green wristbands to help identify our group and I started seeing everyone in the terminal. We may not have exactly had the meet in front of the TV’s but we were all there. My DS got a picture and autograph with Mickey & Grandpa.

We mulled around and then Minnie Mouse came out and we got her autograph and a picture.

PDSC00077_002.jpg

I walked around and met my fellow DISer’s. It was great to put faces with names of the wonderful people I had been chatting with for over a year. Pretty soon it was time to start the boarding process. They boarded passes 1 & 2 and within 10-15 minutes they were boarding pass 5. We were on our way!

Our family has three last names. I wish in hindsight I made them announce all 3 but I just had them announce my parents (also my maiden name.) It bothered DS but I didn’t want to alienate my boyfriend and my dad with using my married name. DS soon forgot all about the name issue because we were aboard! We headed to Guest Services to drop off the pillowcase and then went on to Parrot Cay for some lunch. What a pretty restaurant! The peel and eat shrimp was fabulous. It had a spicy seasoning added and it was yummy. DS had the spaghetti and meatballs and he loved them. I also had salmon and pork. The salmon was good and the pork was dry. Overall I gave the food a good so that worked pretty well for me because I was expecting fair at best.

Next we went to the Mickey Pool. DS was so excited. I lathered him with sunscreen and off he went. He was having such a blast. Vavo and Grandpa went to change into their suits and then when they returned, KP and I went to the room. Our luggage wasn’t there but we dropped off our coolers and I made a cocktail. When we returned to the pool we convinced DS to move to the Goofy pool. There we hung out and swam. Suzannef was there with her group. Sat next to her hubby for a little while. Vavo and Grandpa headed to their room and DS went back to the Mickey pool. We enjoyed the pool area and lounged for a while. Ran into ReallyFunMom and her boys played with DS.

PDSC00079_004.jpg

PDSC00080_005.jpg

Soon it was time for the safety drill. We went to the room and got our life vests on. It was a pretty painless process and DS looked so cute!

PDSC00082_007.jpg

Next we were off to the Sail Away party. I was off course running late to the DIS meet I organized. My group wandered off without me and then went right up front to the stage. DS started dancing and having a ball. As much as I wanted to make my way to the meet, I couldn’t pull him away. He danced and jammed with the characters and then when it was all over and they brought kids to the stage, he just had to go up. Needless to say, I hadn’t even unpacked yet!

PDSC00089_014.jpg

PDSC00091_016.jpg

I went back to the cabin and got organized as much as possible. The over the door shoe holder I got at the dollar store was a lifesaver as were the doorstops for the connecting doors. (Thanks DIS) The grandparents were ready in time and so was DS since I got him ready first. They took him to dinner and KP & I finished getting ready. We were only 15 minutes late and we were sitting with the fellow DISer’s that we linked dining with. Vicki and her family were great dining companions. We also were fortunate to have DISer’s all around us as well since we coordinated our dining. Our servers were JoJo and Rocque. They were really great. I had the Grouper dish and it was so good! The Crème Brulee Cheesecake was to die for. We had a great dinner at Parrot Cay. I was glad to have the 6pm dining time.

We went back to the room to make a cocktail and finish the unpacking. We then went and checked DS into the lab. They were having a welcome aboard party and DS wanted to attend. That night was the comedian Gary. He was really funny and made it a family appropriate show. We saw DISer’s here as well. After the show we walked around a bit and then got DS out of the lab. He was sleeping in the grandparent’s room so my mom took him back to the cabin with her and they went to bed. My dad, KP and I went to the tribute to Frank Sinatra. That was really good. We then headed to Diversions for a quick check on some college football. KP stayed there and my dad and I went to Match your Mate. This was very disappointing. I realize that Disney has to remain Disney but other cruise lines do this much better. KP joined us at the end and then 70’s night began. We tried to get up and dance but the band was really not good. It was amazing that this was the same great band at the sail away party. It was kind of disappointing and we went back to the room. In hindsight we should have taken a stroll on deck 4 but I honestly forgot all about deck 4 and those chairs. Go figure.

All in all, day one lived up to most all my expectations.

Day 2-Nassau

We all woke up and started to get ready. My parents and DS went up to Triton’s for breakfast. KP was going to meet them there while I went to a DIS meet in Cove Café to put together the Pirate Goodie Bags. Unfortunately, my mom fell in front of Triton’s. My dad came back to the room and told me I had to take care of DS. KP took DS to BBB for breakfast while I went to the DIS meet.

PDSC00100_022.jpg

The wonderful ladies from the DIS

We had all donated items for the bags to give to the kids on Pirate Night. I had a frozen mochachino thing with vanilla ice cream in it. It was fabulous! Thanks Lionel for letting me try yours first! :thumbsup2 My mom still wasn’t feeling well so she lied down and I took DS to the lab to make cookies. KP, my dad and I went into Nassau to the Straw Market. I bought a wallet and a purse and KP bought his parents’ souvenirs, his uncle a shot glass and DS a hat. We headed back to the sip as it started to rain. Although the weather was not cooperating, I was bound to have a great time even though the weather was not ideal. We had lunch at the buffet at BBB since we had to get off the ship to go on the Dolphin Swim. We booked independently and were told we had to be at the ferry terminal by 1pm. As we got off the ship, KP realized he forgot his id. Once I was off the ship I realized we locked his id in the safe with his wallet and used my KTTW card to lock the safe. I got a little panicked and my mom took my KTTW card and was going to try and get it to him. My dad, DS and I were the ones swimming so we had to go. We found a taxi and were on our way. We got there at 1pm and were told we had to wait 30 minutes for the ferry. I hoped that KP and my mom would make it. I went to the ladies room and when I walked out I saw them walking in. I apparently forgot to lock the safe. Good thing because my mom would never had made it back on. The line to get back on the ship was really long and wasn’t moving.

We took the ferry over in the drizzling rain. We arrived and were given a brief educational talk about the dolphins. Then we were fitted for life jackets and brought over to the platform. The water was beautiful and the dolphins were amazing and beautiful animals. The rain eased up and it remained overcast. I imagine this place is breathtaking in the sun. The water is crystal clean and the prettiest blue. The trainers were also comedians and had us laughing and in the water touching the dolphins. The dolphin would swim up and down the row of people and we would get to rub them as they swam by. Then we got to dance with them, feed them, kiss them and spend time in the water with them. We had four groups of three and the three dolphins rotated among the groups. Even though we went first, they still would interact with the group as a whole in between. When that was over, we went back to the platform and each of us got to do a swim/trick with the dolphins. Each person laid on their belly in the water with their arms in a T and their toes pointed down so their feet were flat. Next two dolphins would swim up and put their noses on the bottom of your foot and then push you through the water. Their strength would push the upper half of your body out of the water in this “King of the World” feeling as they pushed you across the lagoon. It was such a rush.

IMG008-2.jpg

IMG007-2.jpg

IMG006-1.jpg

IMG026.jpg

IMG021.jpg

IMG018.jpg

When the swim was over we went to the gift shop. We bought photos, the video and a towel. My parents bought DS a stuffed Dolphin. DS bought a small Dolphin snow globe. We then caught the ferry back to the ship. The ferry brought us right back to the Disney Wonder free of charge so that was great!

DS was coming own with a cold so I had to stop and get cold medicine when the shops opened. I actually forgot the cold medicine I bought to bring with me. It cost me $8.45 for Tylenol Cold medicine. Highway robbery! We had reservations at Palo tonight. DS went with the lab to see Cars in the movie theatre. I dropped him off and met KP and my parents. We had window seats and the view of the harbor was great. We got to watch as the ship pulled out of port. The food was amazing. We had the most incredible dinner. A beautiful bottle of wine, appetizers, delicious meals and the most amazing chocolate soufflé. He also brought out a dessert that was like cheesecake but more fluffy and light with fruit. It was good but could not touch the soufflé. KP had the filet and the rest of us had the veal. I had a pizza for an appetizer. Very yummy.

PDSC00106_027.jpg

Me and KP at Palo

After dinner we changed and got DS from the Lab. My dad and KP went to watch the Miami and FSU game. Mom, DS and I went to Hercules the Musical. The performers are very talented and I liked the show. Not wowed by it but I liked it.

After that Vavo and DS head back to the room and I go down with them. I made a cocktail and grab KP a beer and start to go hunt down the boys watching football. TaeJa (another DISer) knocks at my door and we head up to Wavebands. I go and find the guys and my dad decides to go back to his room. I head over to Wavebands for 80’s night. The DJ played and we had the lip-synching bands. Heidi (one of the DISer’s) got to be one of Robert Palmer’s “girls”. This was entertaining. KP arrives after Miami loses and we dance for a couple of songs. Next the band comes out and after a couple of songs 80’s night dies out. This band really ruined a great time. I’d much rather had the DJ keep playing.

PDSC00119_040.jpg

sugaswim as one of Robert Palmer's girls

PDSC00118_039.jpg

taeja71 and suzannef

PDSC00117_038.jpg

Erica and Lionel-I can't remember her DIS name :lmao: starts with a "z"

PDSC00132_049.jpg

me and suzannef

Day 3-Castaway Cay

Finally, heaven on earth is mine.

PDSC00134_051.jpg

My dad and DS

My party unexpectedly slept in this day. It was our intention to go to Triton’s for breakfast since we missed it the day before. However, everyone slept until about 9:20am so that wasn’t happening. Everyone that is except me. I was up at 7:30 am anxious to get going. I really should have gotten up and went to Cove Café and sat on the deck. I guess I was just figuring that my DS7 would bounce out of bed no later than 8am because we were at Disney’s PRIVATE ISLAND!!!!!!!!! He didn’t and I just sat in my cabin watching TV as quietly as I could. Thank goodness for in room movies. DS slept the first two nights in the grandparent’s room. I’m quite sure that if he had been sleeping in mine, he would have been up by 8am (hehehe). We went to Parrot Cay again for breakfast and ate way too much. We got onto Castaway Cay around 11:00am and headed to the family beach. I separated from my party because I wanted to mail postcards. This was a bad idea. My DS thought he had to check into the Lab as soon as we got to the island to participate in Monstro’s Dig. My parents and boyfriend didn’t know any better so they checked him in. After about 45 minutes I went and hunted DS down (this really frustrated me because I wasted 30 minutes walking all over the place-bring your navigator to the beach with you). I explained that he could hang out with us until the whale dig and it would be fine. So back to the beach we went and he was glad I came and got him. I plopped down into my chair in the water with the rest of my crew and ordered a BBC. I was finally going to get to try the DIS Boards infamous drink. One word-WOW. This was so yummy. I’m glad that I didn’t realize how great this drink was because my onboard account was high enough as it was and my waistline managed to not expand while on this trip. My mom ordered one as well and we just marveled at the beauty of this day. The beach was not as crowded as I thought it would be. Maybe because it is an off-season cruise??? We just sat and relaxed and enjoyed the water. The weather was picture perfect.

IMG016.jpg

Mom, KP and me

IMG015.jpg

Mom & Dad

IMG011.jpg

KP, DS and me

At 1:15pm, we took DS to the whale dig and the grown ups went to the adult beach. It was pretty much deserted. I still wasn’t hungry and neither was DBF. My parents grabbed a bite to eat and enjoyed the beach while DBF and I got our couples cabana massage. This was very relaxing and peaceful. Now, this massage on land would not have been worth the $$ but in terms of where we were and being together in that beautiful, peaceful environment made it worthwhile. I will probably never do that again but I have no regrets in doing this time. When we finished the massage we took about 15 minutes to float around at the adult beach. Thanks to the couple with the bucket of beers who escaped their three kids. They loaned us their float. We then took the tram back. We ran into a fellow DISer and her group while waiting for the tram and discussed our activities for the day. It seemed as if all had a great time.

PDSC00135_052.jpg

The couples cabana on the adult beach

We headed back to the family beach although we thought DS and the grandparents would have already returned to the ship. Nope. They had made sand castles and swam and all in all had a great time while we were relaxing. Disney had finally opened the play area in the water so DS tried unsuccessful to get across the rope thingy. After a while, we realized we had to head back. I think this realization came from the Wonder crew stacking the chairs and scooping up towels. We semi-dried off and threw on our cover-ups. I wanted to pick up some souvenirs so we headed to the gift shop. DS got a hat and a t-shirt. They were really cute and he seemed pleased. We returned to the ship and took pictures along the way.
IMG006.jpg

IMG004.jpg

IMG003.jpg

Tonight was Pirate Night and we were in Tritons. The DIS group of moms went in together and helped purchase all kinds of items for the kids goodie bags. I gave DS his at dinner and he was very excited. We listened to our table mates adventures from the previous two days and shared ours. Dinner was fabulous. I had two desserts and was quite pleased with myself. DBF had to help me finish one of them. DS and I did the conga line around the restaurant and had a great time.

PDSC00158_071.jpg

Tonight’s show was the Golden Mickey’s. DS got interviewed by Rona Rivers. It was very cute. A fellow DISer and her husband had on the most beautiful and original costumes for pirate night. They were also interviewed by Rona. Dawn AKA Blackunicorn did a fabulous job making their outfits. They looked so authentic. I just wish my picture came out better.

PDSC00163_075.jpg

Blackunicorn and hubby

PDSC00165_077.jpg

DS is a red carpet star!

The Golden Mickey’s were cute and I was glad to see Roy was back in the show. Saw lots of DISer’s here as well. We had such a great group. Still hadn’t see Bill the groups weatherman but I was still hopeful.

After the show we went up to get front row “standing area”. My DS is such a ham! He danced and had a great time. It was a great show. The fireworks were spectacular and he had a blast. My parents and DBF went to the room as soon as the show was over. DS and I hung out for a little bit. I really wanted to try the buffet but to be frank, I was stuffed and I thought if I ate anything else I was going to be very sick. It was DS turn to sleep in our cabin. My parents were a little disappointed. They really thought he would stay with them but he didn’t. Grandpa actually has some competition now in DBF. Hahaha

PDSC00195_097.jpg

PDSC00181_088.jpg

Day 4-Day at Sea

DS and his grandparents finally made it to Tritons for breakfast. They said it was wonderful! DBF and I had a difficult time rolling out of bed and getting moving. DS was having a little breakdown after breakfast because he couldn’t decide between getting a picture with Pinocchio and going to the pool. I convinced him to get a picture with Pinocchio but not until after he changed into his suit. Waited in the longest line ever and got the picture. DBF and I then went to Parrot Cay again and stuffed our faces. DS went with his grandparents to the Mickey Pool.

PDSC00210_105.jpg

After we ate, DBF and I went to the spa for the Exotic Rasul. Since this is a family oriented website I won’t detail this part of the trip for you. However I will say this, if your love life lacks spice, this is a great way to fix that.

After our experience, we showered and headed to the pool. We got DS to switch to the Goofy Pool and my mom and I ordered some more BBC’s. My group hung out by the pool and just relaxed. Around 1:30pm we headed back to cabins so that DS and the grandparents could take a nap while DBF and I went to the beer tasting and wine tasting back to back. Yes, I did catch a buzz. On a scale of 1-10, I give the beer tasting a 6.5. Two of the beers were fairly common and one of them was just plain disgusting. I still had a great time because the group and the presenters were a lot of fun. Without them, I would have rated this a 2. The wine tasting on the other hand was a 10. I really do not like most wines or champagne but all the wines selected were good and that says a lot coming from me. They had cheese and crackers to clean your palate in between wines and that was greatly appreciated because without that I would have had a really good buzz going versus the mild one I ended up with.
PDSC00212_107.jpg

the beer

PDSC00213_108.jpg

us & the beer

PDSC00214_109.jpg

the wine

After those events, we grabbed DS and went to graduation. During the slide show, there was a picture of DS at the whale dig. He got a great t-shirt and hat and we got to see him on stage. Very cool.

PDSC00241_132.jpg

Went back to the room to get ready for dinner. Made a cocktail and took it to dinner with me. Figured I had started might as well keep going. Tonight’s dinner was in Animator’s Palate. It was very good and it was neat to watch the room change. I am glad this was our last dinner stop. I know I has two appetizers and dinner was wonderful. We all rolled out of there with smiles on our face even though it was our last night. We went back to the cabin and packed. It was quick and painless because of our system. I made everyone fold their dirty clothes and stick them in the designated area as the trip progressed. We had plenty of space and this was a real time saver come packing time.

PDSC00246_137.jpg

Our servers

PDSC00247_138.jpg

Me, KP & DS

It was then time to head over to Disney Dreams. This was a cute show as well. After that, we headed to the Until We Meet Again show. The DIS group was gathered on the balcony and I went up to chat with them. We had all tried to find Bill our weatherman and none of us we successful until then. Lisa-LCTsMom pointed him out to me (she wasn’t sure it was just a guess) and I walked right up and said hello. We chatted for a second and off he went. Bill was the male voice of reason among the women and we loved having him on our thread. I’m glad I met him.

The characters came out for Until We Meet Again and DS got some great photos. After that I was pooped and just wanted to go to bed. It might have been the non-stop drinking since 2:30pm but either way, I was crashing.

PDSC00257_147.jpg

PDSC00258_148.jpg

Departure Day

I got up first. I used the wake up call several times during the trip. Never could get DS to answer it! We all got up and got ready. I knocked on my parents’ door only to find out they were still asleep. They scrambled to get ready and out by 8am. We headed to BBB and had breakfast then easily departed the ship.

Final Thoughts and Comments

This was the best family vacation I have ever been on. I overscheduled because in my mind I wasn’t ever going to do this again. One of those "one time only deals". My DS cried as we left the terminal. I think in part because it was over so fast and he was overtired from the activities. I knew right then we would go again and this time it would be for 7 days.

All in all I would rate this trip a 9. We had one moment where a crew member was less than Disney, plus the nurse didn’t follow up with my mom after the fall and the band in Wavebands was horrible. Really, really horrible and given Disney’s entertainment rep that was disappointing. I loved the piano player on Frank Sinatra night. The lounge act stunk. Very bad. For those reasons they get a 9.

The food was very good and on some occasions fantastic. BBB for lunch was fair at best, the pizza by the pool was blah and BBB for breakfast was just okay. Outside of those three things everything else was superb and I wasn’t expecting that given what my mom said about their 3 night trip. She was even pleasantly surprised.

I only spent $70 in Shutters but it was $70 more than I intended to spend. I planned on boycotting because I think it is highway robbery. However, they had some amazing photos of DS and even one of all of us with Mickey in the terminal. I also got one of DBF and me at Palo’s that is probably the best picture I have ever taken. So I was sucked in.

The rental fees for floats and tubes at Castaway Cay is a shame. This should be included with the price of your trip. I understand the snorkel gear fee but floats and tubes I do not understand.

I contacted my travel agent to be called as soon as the summer 2008 sail dates are released. It will be my mom, DS and I and her sister, husband and grandson. My dad and DBF think 7 nights is too long but DBF said at breakfast this morning it would depend on where we were going so who knows, he might change his mind.

I had so much fun planning this trip thanks to these boards and my DIS group sailing with me. It was wonderful seeing everyone all over the ship. They made it such a WONDERful experience.

Kerry, loved reading your trip report! It was great meeting you on board. Hopefully, you'll be able to join us for our reunion cruise in June of 08! We can't wait!

Keep in touch! :goodvibes

Thanks for the great report!!!! Sounds like a great time. We started with a 4 day thinking a 7 day would be too long......we just did our 2nd 7 day !!! :goodvibes It is a blast and I think you would really enjoy it!!!! Much more relaxing and still lots of fun!!!! We are planning to go in 2008 too!!! :thumbsup2

Did you bring your own makings for cocktails with you and also beer? What did you bring it on the boat in? :confused3

Fantastic report! Thanks so much for taking so much time to tell us about each day and night, LOVED it.

Great TR! We were on this trip, and I recognize you and your family from around the ship! In the one picture of your son on the Mickey slide, my family is sitting up on deck 10, to the left! Looks like you had a wonderful time, ,as did us! Thanks for posting your experiences and pic's! :wave:

Great TR
We just got back from a 7 during the last week in August. We had also looked at 3 or 4 night because we felt 7 was too long. But I have to tell you, 7 was not long enough. I would love to go on a 10 Southern. Maybe some day.

Anyhow, liked your TR, the pics were great. I wish we had been able to do the dophin encounter during our trip.

Thanks for posting.
GD

lbrening said:
Did you bring your own makings for cocktails with you and also beer? What did you bring it on the boat in? :confused3

I used a rolling cooler plus another soft sided cooler to bring beer, absolute rasberri (thanks Suzanne :goodvibes ), pineapple juice & Malibu Rum and 4 bottles of wine. Not one person stopped me :thumbsup2

THUNDERMOUNTAINMOMMA said:
Ker-Ber....
Sorry your Mom had a fall. Was it on the steps outside Triton's? :guilty:

yes it was. I get my gracefulness from my mom ;) It said "Watch your Step" she missed that sign.

I laugh now but I was really worried at the time. Everyone was so great when it happened. I was just a little disappointed that no one called to check up on her.

Great job, Kerry!

Don't worry, a 7-day won't be too long! If KP makes a fuss about it, just tell him you can do the rasul every day :) I can't wait for '08. Lionel and I will definately be there!

Ker-Bear said:
I used a rolling cooler plus another soft sided cooler to bring beer, absolute rasberri (thanks Suzanne :goodvibes ), pineapple juice & Malibu Rum and 4 bottles of wine. Not one person stopped me :thumbsup2
Thanks for the great ideas! What do you make out of the absolute rasberri? We leave Friday for Orlando and get on the Magic Sat. :banana:

lbrening said:
Thanks for the great ideas! What do you make out of the absolute rasberri? We leave Friday for Orlando and get on the Magic Sat. :banana:

I did Diet Sprite and Absolute Rasberri. Low Calorie adult beverage. Suzanne mixes it with Cranberry juice I think.

zweihund said:
Great job, Keri!

Don't worry, a 7-day won't be too long! If KP makes a fuss about it, just tell him you can do the rasul every day :) I can't wait for '08. Lionel and I will definately be there!
I have a feeling we will all be there in June 08. ;) My heart is set on the double dip. I hope DCL is listening!

Ker-Bear said:
I have a feeling we will all be there in June 08. ;) My heart is set on the double dip. I hope DCL is listening!
I can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter