4 Night Wonder out of Miami (update 3/1-Complete)

Pinkocto said:
Welcome Susan! Glad you came out of lurkdom :) what itinerary will you be doing? I absolutely loved the Wonder!

I'm still so torn about the 1BR. It will be a solo trip so I'm thinking I should just go ahead and spoil myself, but on the other hand could get a whole other week of vacation if I save the points. This will be my first time to DL and I'm super excited.

Hi! We are doing the 5 night to Cozumel and Castaway Cay. You will love DL! We like how things are closer together and easier to get to. This will be our first time staying at VGC. I'm super excited about that! I opted for the studio so I could save some points. Hoping to take our kids and a few of their friends to Aulani next spring break for our daughter's senior year, so I needed to hang on to some extra points. :)

Susan

She put the lava stones on our arms and they felt amazing! I've never heard of hot lava shells, same idea as the stones?

The principle is the same, but rather than using the stones that need to be warmed up in a heater, the shells are huge Tiger Clam shells that are filled with something that looks like a huge tea bag filled with a mix including algae and sea kelp which, when combined with salt water, generates enough heat for an hour-long massage. The shells are very smooth.

Corinna

No worries! We've all been there! Trying to update but wanting catch up with friends, too many choices! :rotfl: We're all here when you get back!

And then I didn't even log onto the computer yesterday :faint:

Thanks for understanding :) so much to do and so little time!

I am interested to read what you did in Key West. We just went down to Key West in January, my family who live in AZ were on Magic 8 night from Gal, so we met them for their Key West day and did trolley excursion with them. I am thinking of touring the Truman little White house. At Castaway Cay I have the snorkel with sting rays, we do that every time. I think I will do massage with my hubby on Nassau day and we have rain forest pass too. Since I now live in Florida, not such a big deal to do beaches etc, I will concentrate on being on the ship:)

I had every intention of getting off the ship and going on a key lime hunt but it never happened. We both were enjoying the ship so much we asked each other if we wanted to leave and both of us didn't want to. A total change of plans.

All your plans sound great. :)

Hi! We are doing the 5 night to Cozumel and Castaway Cay. You will love DL! We like how things are closer together and easier to get to. This will be our first time staying at VGC. I'm super excited about that! I opted for the studio so I could save some points. Hoping to take our kids and a few of their friends to Aulani next spring break for our daughter's senior year, so I needed to hang on to some extra points. :)

Susan

I have that itinerary booked for next January, looking forward to it.

I'm so excited about DL! New places to explore :)

Ahhh, yes, I'm hearing Aulani is worthy of saving points for. I've wanted to stay there since I saw the renderings. I gave in and bought some points last year.

The principle is the same, but rather than using the stones that need to be warmed up in a heater, the shells are huge Tiger Clam shells that are filled with something that looks like a huge tea bag filled with a mix including algae and sea kelp which, when combined with salt water, generates enough heat for an hour-long massage. The shells are very smooth.

Corinna

That sounds heavenly!

I'm sorry everybody, I had planned on an update tonight but just spent the last two hours catching up on all the threads I'm following. Must now head to sleep. Hopefully I can get one done tomorrow. Thank you for all your kind words and following along :)

no worries I am so far behind right now, on everything...

The second reason, please don't laugh, is that I've decided I need something to look forward to every three months and this time frame needed filling :) you can laugh if you want, it's a pretty self indulgent plan. :teeth: my dates are 9/3-9/9. I have to work 9/2 which is Labor Day so it'll be a Tuesday to Monday trip.

I don't think a trip every three months is indulgent at all. I totally get it! :thumbsup2

Thanks for your patience everybody.

I had plans to go visit a friend this afternoon for lunch but her kitty is nearing the end. She just found out last night and I was so sad for her I couldn't stop the tears. She lives in WV so we usually drive three hours each to meet in the middle. I was planning on an update last night but couldn't shake the sadness. He is a really sweet kitty and it is heartbreaking when these things inevitably happen.

An update coming up shortly.

Thanks for your patience everybody.

I had plans to go visit a friend this afternoon for lunch but her kitty is nearing the end. She just found out last night and I was so sad for her I couldn't stop the tears. She lives in WV so we usually drive three hours each to meet in the middle. I was planning on an update last night but couldn't shake the sadness. He is a really sweet kitty and it is heartbreaking when these things inevitably happen.

An update coming up shortly.

Sorry to hear this sad news for your friend. I think many people know how the loss of a pet feels. :hug:

We have a ferocious snow day here, so I look forward to some more reading!
Really love reading your report and seeing your pictures. :goodvibes

I left off with us leaving the spa tour and heading down to Diversions for the DVC Member Celebration. A few days before the cruise someone had actually called my cell to invite us which I thought was such a nice touch. I love being around fellow DVC members, and really wanted to go. Of course there was the big $200 raffle at the end I wanted to win.

There was the usual 'what's new with DVC' and the current deal they were doing on the ship. Thankfully that didn't wow me and I was not pulled to buy any more points. At some point I told mom I was thinking about going up to the spa to see if we won the raffle so she was keeping an eye on the clock. As 3:15 rolled around she asked me if I was going and I had decided I just wanted to stay where I was. If I wanted to do something at the spa I would just pay for it. Well mom decided she wanted to head up there and see if she won anything. Please insert some kind of doom music. This was near the end of the DVC presentation and the ship's shopping guide, Maxine, came out to raffle off a Tanzanite necklace. Who's name was pulled out of the bag? If you guessed Jeanette, you were right. However mom was off trying to win spa treatments... I had let out a cry of dismay saying it was my mom and she had been sitting right next to me. No dice. The person had to be there to win. So a second name was pulled out and that person wasn't in the room any longer. A third name was pulled and it happened to be the gentleman behind me. His wife was celebrating her birthday on the ship so that was a nice present. The very nice Maxine gave me an extra raffle card to use the next day at her shopping talk about Nassau where she would be raffling off some diamonds. Still mom had not returned and they did the last drawing of the day. The drawing for the $200. The drawing where they put everyone's name back in the bag. Yes, Jeanette's name was pulled again. An even bigger cry of dismay escaped my lips. I then shamelessly said my name was Jeanette but they wouldn't accept it since I had already said she was missing when she could have won the necklace. And now, this is what got me, everyone turned into raving savages and insisted she redraw for another winner. Someone asked where she had gone and I said she wanted to see if she won the spa raffle. He was very nice and gave me sympathy. Everyone else had turned into animals and wanted to see if their name was pulled out. To say I was upset would be an understatement. It was not the fact that we had lost out on some extra money, it was the way practically everyone in that room turned savage, like the last bit of meat on the planet was on the table. Mom showed up at the end and helped me gather all our stuff. As luck would have it she didn't win anything in the spa. I was by no means upset with her, I was just upset.

We headed off to see our room for the first time and were pleasantly surprised when we got there. The only reason I had booked this trip is because I saw a great deal for a standard inside stateroom and just couldn't pass it up. Our last cruise we stayed in a verandah room with the two bathrooms so this was a completely different experience.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013115.jpg

DisneyWonderJanuary2013117.jpg

DisneyWonderJanuary2013116.jpg

It was lovely. The only complaint was that the shower was super small. I took Corinna's advice and used the showers in the gym for most of the trip.

We didn't stay in the room long because the Lifeboat Drill was happening soon. I misread our location and headed in the complete opposite direction. We almost made it to the other end of the ship before asking a CM who directed us back to Animator's Palate. Very smooth drill, they didn't even ask to swipe one of our cards they just asked for our room number. After it was finished we ended up chatting with one of the CMs who advised us we needed to make sure and see the Toy Story show. The way he said it we asked him if he was in it and he sheepishly told us he was Buzz. Well we had already planned on seeing it but now there was no doubt, we needed to cheer on our new friend :)

Then we headed upstairs to watch the Sail Away Party.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013118.jpg

It was cute but we didn't have the best view. A CM came around asking if we wanted any drinks and I asked if he could make me a virgin Konk Kooler. Well it took him ages to come back and say yes, and then it took him ages to come back with it but I finally had what I'd been thinking about since last March. Yes, it is that good. :love:

DisneyWonderJanuary2013124.jpg

Mom wanted to watch us sail away from the front of the ship so we headed that way. It was super windy so I found a spot to sit while she enjoyed the view.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013125.jpg

DisneyWonderJanuary2013126.jpg

We actually got seperated at this point. Something I ate just did not agree with me so I needed to find a restroom. When I came out she was nowhere to be found so I went back to the room to see if she'd gone back there. Thankfully we both had the same idea and she had just arrived there moments before.

The show was starting in about 30 minutes so we headed down to grab a good seat. We ran into Maxine on the way there where I introduced her to mom who was the one who missed out on the necklace. Maxine had told me not to tell mom what she almost won, all in good fun, so she was amused I had told her. I had told her the second she got back from the spa! We walked and talked for a little bit until we saw that the shops were open. :hyper: Maxine continued on her way and we stopped for some shopping. I had been dreaming about a gorgeous necklace with the DCL logo and a Mickey head made with diamonds. It was there and as gorgeous as I remembered it. There was also another one made with sapphires which caught my eye. I decided to think on it. The nice sympathetic guy in the DVC meeting saw me looking at it and said he hoped I wasn't buying it for mom :rotfl: No indeed not, she missed out on her necklace! I didn't leave with a necklace but mom left with a cute Hawaii themed sundress with hidden Mickeys.

Cruise Director Fabian chatted with us for a little while. He was nice but did not seem as involved as our previous one.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013127.jpg

DisneyWonderJanuary2013128.jpg

The first show of the cruise was a magic show and it kept me guessing the whole time. Scott Pepper I think his name was. Very entertaining show, I highly recommend it. We headed back to the room to relax a little before dinner.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013281.jpg

Dinner that night was in the Animator's Palate. When we arrived all our tablemates were already there and pointedly not talking. Hmmm, how was this going to go I wondered. After about ten minutes of silence mom broke the ice. Thank goodness! We were with a young couple from Argentina and two friends from Florida.

I started out with the Roma Tomato and Portobello Mushrooms on Polenta Cake With Monterey Jack Cheese and Red Curry-Coconut Marinara. This was quite tasty.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013270.jpg

Mom had the Wild Mushroom Risotto and Porcini Twist Served with Parmigiano-Reggiano and Black Truffle Oil. She said she enjoyed it.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013271.jpg

For the salad course I had the Confetti Tomato Salad
With Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Olive Oil, Jerez Vinegar, and Herb Dressing. The only thing confetti about it was the onions and peppers which I took off. Nothing to write home about but it was fresh.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013272.jpg

Mom had the Smoked Salmon and Trout with Goat Cheese Salad
On Baby Greens, with Toasted Almonds and a Cranberry-Balsamic Vinegar Dressing but without the fish. It was ok.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013273.jpg

I had been looking forward to the main course for months. Phyllo-Wrapped Salmon Fillet With Sun-dried Tomato, Garlic Cream Cheese on Fava Beans, and Green Pea Ragoût. It was such a disappointment. The veggies were good but the salmon was so soft I could barely finish the first bite without being sick. It must have been something to do with the garlic cream cheese.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013274.jpg

In replacement I got Penne Pasta In Parmesan Cream.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013276.jpg

Mom's main dish also disappointed. It is no longer on the online menu so I can't quite remember what it was called. Vegetables on noodles but the noodles were hard like they were baked. Completely difficult to eat.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013275.jpg

They took our dessert choices and then we were treated to a cute show. There were clips from several movies and at the end Sorcerer Mickey came out for us. I completely missed a picture.

For dessert mom had the Animator's Sweet Temptations
A Trio of Strawberry Sable, Cranberry and Orange Cheesecake, and Double-Fudge Chocolate Cake.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013277.jpg

and I had the sugar free Chilled Lemon Soufflé with Raspberry Drizzle

DisneyWonderJanuary2013278.jpg

We said goodnight to our tablemates and let them all know we'd be at Palo the next evening. Mom and I have both decided that Animator's Palate on both the Dream and Wonder is our least favorite menu.

We went through the second shop on the way back to the room and saw these cuties.

DisneyWonderJanuary2013280.jpg

Mom wanted to walk outside before calling it a night which was a great way to end the evening.

I tried to catch up in the journal before going to sleep but did not make it very far. I was playing catch up the entire trip there was just so many wonderful things to do :)

Humm, "they" say that you can't have any other stateroom once you've had a veranda...so you didn't like the shower size, but would you stay inside again?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter