• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

4 night Dream worth it?

tortoni

DIS Veteran
Making last minute vacation plans here. Wanted to go to Italy this year but no time to plan it and the airfare is :headache:way to expensive.

Never miss a chance to visit the Mouse so we will likely do that. So the question is whether it is worth the transport to and from Port Canaveral and the expense of the 4 night cruise (almost as much as a 7 night RCCL)?

Convince me to go or not go, please. I'm having trouble pulling the trigger.

Making last minute vacation plans here. Wanted to go to Italy this year but no time to plan it and the airfare is :headache:way to expensive.

Never miss a chance to visit the Mouse so we will likely do that. So the question is whether it is worth the transport to and from Port Canaveral and the expense of the 4 night cruise (almost as much as a 7 night RCCL)?

IMO, any cruise is better than no cruise. That said, I prefer longer, but if 4 nights is all you can do---- go for it.

Our first DCL cruise was a 4-night on the Dream, and we LOVED it. It was me, DH, and DD (who was 8 at the time). We ended up booking a 7-night on the Fantasy while we were on the Dream, and then we booked a 9-night on the Magic while we were on the Fantasy. Clearly we are hooked! Although we're now in the "longer is better" camp, DH and I booked another 4-night on the Dream for our anniversary in September. If scheduling and/or finances required us to book a shorter cruise, we wouldn't hesitate to book a 4-night on DCL. I do think 4 nights would be our minimum, though, since we have to fly to FL.

Have you been on Dcl before? I'd definitely ranked Dcl over Rccl for our family preference at this time. Our dd was 16 mths on our April Dream cruise and it was the best (& easiest) vacay we've been on. Be prepared to rebook on board!

We did the 4 night Dream for the 2nd part of our Honeymoon and loved it! We did WDW first and then DCL. It was a great mix of park time and relaxing time. We were planning on going on the Dream again this year, but were able to book the Fantasy so we are giving that a try. I agree with pps 4 days is better then no days. Good Luck! :goodvibes

Thanks all. We are deciding between 4 nights on the Dream or 7 on the Freedom. Tough decision.

Absolutely, a 4 night on the Dream is wonderful. But just a warning, you will probably love it and become obsessed with how to start budgeting for a longer trip on the Fantasy...or the Wonder to Alaska... or the Magic to the Southern Caribbean... Or all of the above! Oh wait, that's me! :goodvibes

tortoni said:
Thanks all. We are deciding between 4 nights on the Dream or 7 on the Freedom. Tough decision.

Its been since Hawaii 02 since I was on RCI and while i *edit* CAN'T complain, there was zero magic there. We only got to do a 3 Day DCL with 1 day of park hopping but those 4 days blew away all my last yrs several 7 days. It was so family oriented with the best shows we have ever seen (even my husband got there early and stayed thru the end and they rarely have his attention) and best service and food we personally have had on a cruise line in 10 yrs. Not for everyone tho. If you like the Vegas style cruising this is very different. But if you enjoy WDW and great cruises, you may be just as over the moon for it as we were! I would pull up some of the comparison threads going on and do some research.

I would also suggest that if like us you have done RCCL a bit and perhaps others like CCL than you know them and have done them. Why not try something unique and super duper memorable instead? I came back 12 days after our 4 day trip and typed up a journal that filled 20 regular type spaced pages! So many great memories.

All cruises even the cheaper or value lines (which RCI is kinda in the middle) they all cost money. I plan to utilize mine on only DCL for the next several if I can.

And if you are asking, yes, 4 days is still amazing! Just tack a day or two at any Orlando park and you have an incredible vacation without wandering around looking for trivia games like you would on a 7 day with extra sea days etc and thankful to be on a really fun magical trip. I have been cruising since I was 11 and I can never remember a cruise line I was so amazed and entertained with! (Although usually all the ports are good. Buy Castaway was perfection for us!)

How old are your children? I think sometimes the ages of the kids are a deciding factor between DCL and RCCL. I think a 4 night is absolutely worth it. As a matter of fact my DH and I just returned from a 3 night on the Dream and have a 7 night booked on the Fantasy next year. Having said that, my boys are showing interest in the RCCL ships because of the flow riders, wall climbing, zip lining, ice rinks, etc. I know it is only a matter of time before we will start adding RCCL to our vacations. I'm sure you and your family will have a wonderful time no matter which cruise you choose. :)

We did 4 night on the Dream in March and it was amazing. It was myself, DH, DD 3.5 DS 5, my parents and my sisters family. We all were surprised at how much we loved it, We knew the kids would have fun. There is so much for them. The adults all enjoyed the adult sections of the ship too. It was worth it to us.

How old are your children? I think sometimes the ages of the kids are a deciding factor between DCL and RCCL. I think a 4 night is absolutely worth it. As a matter of fact my DH and I just returned from a 3 night on the Dream and have a 7 night booked on the Fantasy next year. Having said that, my boys are showing interest in the RCCL ships because of the flow riders, wall climbing, zip lining, ice rinks, etc. I know it is only a matter of time before we will start adding RCCL to our vacations. I'm sure you and your family will have a wonderful time no matter which cruise you choose. :)

I second this.

Also, what's important to you on a vacation?
Are your kids the kind who love the water and would rather play in the pool / water all day?
Are you looking to enjoy dancing and other adult activities past 11pm?
Are you the active type who'd love to try the flowrider or rock climbing wall or even enjoy ice skating at sea?

If so, RCCL maybe be the better fit for your family.

Are your kids in love with Disney characters and are avid signature hunters / pictures with characters types?
Do they enjoy group activities found in the kids club?
Are they big on live theatre shows or movies?
Are you looking to spend a lot of time together as a family doing "stuff" (not sitting around the pool or loungers but activities such as character drawing, trivia, etc).

If so, then DCL may be the better fit for your family.

Agree with PP about the age of your kiddos. We've been on both (Dream & Freedom) so please feel free to ask away.

Once DD is old enough for the activities on Freedom (or Oasis/Allure) we will return for a RCCL cruise. DD is an only so we figure with bringing a friend RCCL will be the way to go b/c of the abundance of activities. Right now with DD so young, DLC has so much more to offer us. The customer service is also amazing. Although we've never had a bad experience on RCCL either. As far as "private islands," Castaway Cay hands down beats RCCL. I'd also compare itineraries.

I am booked for a 4-night cruise and overall don't believe if is worth it. Why did I book the 4-night? I want to see Castaway Cay!! To me that is the only reason I am booking Disney at this insane price for 4 days. I don't think any other place compares to Castaway and as a Disneyholic, I have to be there! If Castaway is all that it is cracked up to be, I will re-book. If not, I will be cruising elsewhere.

Do like we did and book a 3-night instead. The 3 nighter also goes to Cast-a-way Bay. Saves about 30% and it's a good short trip. We drive from Orlando but the Disney bus also works well. We've been on two other Disney cruises (a 3 & a 4 nighter) and the 4 seemed to kinda "waste" a day rather than add any significant content. 7 day cruises are the best as they have more ports and give you an entire week away but the reality is that many of us can only do the shorter cruises at times.

Took a 4 day dream in April. Was the bomb. Our 4th cruise total, 2nd on Disney. Will probably never cruise any other line again. More $$, but you do get what you pay for.

I am booked for a 4-night cruise and overall don't believe if is worth it. Why did I book the 4-night? I want to see Castaway Cay!! To me that is the only reason I am booking Disney at this insane price for 4 days. I don't think any other place compares to Castaway and as a Disneyholic, I have to be there! If Castaway is all that it is cracked up to be, I will re-book. If not, I will be cruising elsewhere.

Be prepared to rebook! CC is amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter