4 and 5 day passes now must show ID and use separate entrance

At 10:30 this morning there was not one single guest in either of the 4 day plus turnstyles. The other turnstyles had long lines but you could not use the two set aside for 4 day plus tickets for anything other than 4 day plus tickets. I asked if AP's could use and was told no the systems in those two turnstyles are set up for 4 plus day tickets only. There are signs up and CMs directing guests with 4 plus day tickets to those two turnstyles.

dsny1mom

ACH! So my sisters will have the 4-day Passes and I'll have my PAP, so we'll have to split up? Man, I feel for families with kids who may have different day length passes.

Couldnt APers that are with others who have the 4-5 day passes go into the 4-5 day pass line? Its quick and easy for Apers to get in, with their photo showing up on the computer.

The difference is that when you buy a six pack of soda, the terms of sale do not indicate that they may not be transferred. The Disneyland ticket does state that you cannot resell the ticket. You are basically entering into a contract with Disney when you purchase the ticket that states that you agree that you will be the only person using the ticket.

Not directed at the person I quoted but my general comments on the subject....
I know some feel that Disney should look the other way to fraud in order to avoid negatively impacting the other guests but I completely disagree. By looking the other way, they are basically giving the green light for people to continue the practice, and in greater numbers. If Disney isn't going to stop the practice, more and more people will jump on the "renting" tickets game. And that will ultimately result in higher prices for all the honest people who actually abide by the terms of sale. Why should we pay more while Disney allows the fraud to continue? I applaud them for taking action to stop the fraud.

I'm saying that if I have one day left on my PH and it's going to go unused, if I gave (or sold) it to a local friend and said, "here, go to Disneyland today", and that friend would 100% have not gone without me offering a ticket, that is one thing. Still it's not allowed but it's not taking revenue away from Disney. The net result to Disney is probably a positive-- more parking $, food $, souvenir $, though one more person in lines and at shows.

But me finding someone (through a ticket broker or whatever) who IS going to Disneyland and has to buy a ticket regardless of what I do with my tickets, if I sell (or give) them mine, I am helping someone take $100+ of revenue out of Disneyland's pocket. That buyer may as well be shoplifting that ticket, from the standpoint of company revenue.

I guess at first we were talking about being generous by giving away your unused ticket if it turns out you couldn't use all the days. I didn't realize people were actually using brokers, or standing outside the gates trying to sell their unused day for a profit. How much profit could they even get? They couldn't make much profit....it's not like a concert where Disneyland is sold out for the day.

I understand that the back of the ticket says you can't give away your unused day, or sell it for a profit. And I also am in favor of Disney protecting their product by restricting people from doing this (giving away or selling) by requiring signartures and ID. But, it seems this problem has been solved for years. This is not new...haven't they been requiring signatures and ID for a long time (mabye not consistently).

What seems to be rubbing people the wrong way, at least until they get the kinks worked out, is the separate lines. And why only for 4 and 5 day tickets, when I assume 2 and 3 day ticket holders are also required to show ID.

I guess at first we were talking about being generous by giving away your unused ticket if it turns out you couldn't use all the days. I didn't realize people were actually using brokers, or standing outside the gates trying to sell their unused day for a profit. How much profit could they even get? They couldn't make much profit....it's not like a concert where Disneyland is sold out for the day.

I understand that the back of the ticket says you can't give away your unused day, or sell it for a profit. And I also am in favor of Disney protecting their product by restricting people from doing this (giving away or selling) by requiring signartures and ID. But, it seems this problem has been solved for years. This is not new...haven't they been requiring signatures and ID for a long time (mabye not consistently).

What seems to be rubbing people the wrong way, at least until they get the kinks worked out, is the separate lines. And why only for 4 and 5 day tickets, when I assume 2 and 3 day ticket holders are also required to show ID.

If a broker has a 5 day ticket, they will charge an amount for 3 days to one person and two days to the other, and could provide a significant profit depending on what the broker paid and what they are charging.

Having the name on the ticket and requiring the ID is new. They really didn't start making people put their names on their tickets until this summer/fall.

The reason the 4 and 5 day tickets are having to show ID everytime and require the special lines is because those tickets can have multiple days rented. It would be more difficult and probably not worth it for a broker to by 3 day or less PH's.

I don't think showing ID is a huge deal. We'll just put them at the bottom of our backpacks once we're through the gates. Not a big deal, although I wouldn't be keen on carrying around our passports.

The long, slow line is a concern for me. Hurry up and wait. I guess if we give enough time to wait through the line we'll be ok. Trying for rope drop at DCa so we can ride RSR. How early should we be there now, with our 4-day hoppers the first use?

I don't think they have been cracking down on the "renters" very hard until now. Sometimes if they have a questionable ticket, they would ask the person trying to use it when they first used the ticket, etc. Since that person wouldn't know when it was first used, they would know it was a rented ticket. But they haven't really enforced the writing of the name on the ticket and checking ID until just recently.

The profit is being made by people who purchase the multi-day tickets solely with the intention of reselling each day individually (not people who use 4 days and then sell the 5th). Ex. a 5 day ticket cost $300. The broker purchases it for that amount but then "rents" the ticket to five different people on 5 different days for $100 each. They end up with a $200 profit on that ticket alone.
(eta...this is just an example. The numbers are made up but it gives you a general idea).

That is why Disney is only concerned with the 4 and 5 day tickets (and why they stopped carrying the 6, 7 and 8 day tickets all together). The renters couldn't make as much of a profit on the 2 or 3 day tickets because the price per day is much higher.

Off topic a little....

In the past we have always booked through Disney too. For our last trip, I figured out those going with me and called to make reservation. To include 5 day Park Hopper passes.

A few weeks before the trip everything came by FED EX. I looked at all the treasures in the packet.

I NEVER read the back of the plastic credit card type Park Hoppers.
It wasn't until we tried to Park Hop, that I found out they sent the wrong ticket type. Instead of "Hopper Passes" we had One day One park passes.

A trip to the end of DTD to the travel office took care of the problem. What a pain!!! I have learned to read everything.

Back on topic
In January, first trip through gates we were asked to sign the back of our tickets.

Geemo

Thank You for sharing that with me, I went and checked, and thankfully my tickets were correct. Since they are the hard card like tickets none of our names were printed on them, so I'll have to buy a skinny sharpie and make sure we all sign them now.

I'm so glad that some of these updates from DISers are positive :cheer2: hopefully we have the same success with minimal lines!

These lines are available for EMH/MM. People start lining up 45+ minutes before the gate opens.

Ok so for MM BEFORE all this, there were separate turnstiles for MM. Now that they have done the 4 & 5 day lines, are those different from MM turnstiles? Or are they processing all (lets say 4) of those turnstiles at once for MM hour?

We have MM for our first morning, and we have 4 day passes. I'd like to know where I should be waiting an hour or so beforehand to get the most out of MM.

Ok, so we are going in December. My husband and I have AP's. My 4 year old son does not. He will have a 5 day park hopper. How will that work? If he can't go through the regular turnstiles, but we can't go through the 4+ day ticket lines? I do not want to separate. Apologies if this has been covered already...........thanks!

Ok so for MM BEFORE all this, there were separate turnstiles for MM. Now that they have done the 4 & 5 day lines, are those different from MM turnstiles? Or are they processing all (lets say 4) of those turnstiles at once for MM hour?

We have MM for our first morning, and we have 4 day passes. I'd like to know where I should be waiting an hour or so beforehand to get the most out of MM.

The 4 & 5 day PH turnstiles will say Special Event Ticket instead of Magic Morning. There are signs that tell you which ones to go to and CM's telling everyone which turnstile to get into if they had one of those passes. I found it very organized last week.

Ok, so we are going in December. My husband and I have AP's. My 4 year old son does not. He will have a 5 day park hopper. How will that work? If he can't go through the regular turnstiles, but we can't go through the 4+ day ticket lines? I do not want to separate. Apologies if this has been covered already...........thanks!

Hopefully someone will gain some experience with this in the coming weeks. Not sure what it will be like in December, but last week there were CM's around the lines telling people where to go if they had a 4 or 5 day PH. If I were you, I would talk to one of the CM's out front as to what to do. They certainly cannot expect a 5 year old to wait in line by himself and provide an ID.

^Thank you! That's what I'm thinking. No way will I leave my kid. I'm sure others will be in the same boat. Glad to hear the line wasn't crazy long at least. =)

jetskigrl said:
Not directed at the person I quoted but my general comments on the subject....
I know some feel that Disney should look the other way to fraud in order to avoid negatively impacting the other guests but I completely disagree. By looking the other way, they are basically giving the green light for people to continue the practice, and in greater numbers. If Disney isn't going to stop the practice, more and more people will jump on the "renting" tickets game. And that will ultimately result in higher prices for all the honest people who actually abide by the terms of sale. Why should we pay more while Disney allows the fraud to continue? I applaud them for taking action to stop the fraud.

I completely agree. I'm all for Disney taking action and not letting others profit off of them. It may be inconvenient for the rest of us for a little while, but I'm glad they're doing it.

I was just thinking back to the very first time I got a multi-day pass to Disneyland. It was in December 1995 and it was 't too long after they started doing the five day for the price of three if I remember right. Or maybe it was any three days within a five day time? The specifics are a little fuzzy.

I distinctly remember having to sign the ticket on the first day and then sign it again each day we entered the park. So this isn't a new solution really. I don't remember having to show ID, but that was a long time ago.

I was actually surprised when I went back a few years later and they weren't requiring that anymore.

I asked if AP's could use and was told no the systems in those two turnstyles are set up for 4 plus day tickets only. There are signs up and CMs directing guests with 4 plus day tickets to those two turnstyles.

dsny1mom
What kind of 'system' is set up that would be different from the other turnstyles? Aren't they just scanning the tickets like the others, as well as checking ID, or are they taking additional steps, such as make copies of tickets? That seems like it would take too much extra time. Don't see why AP couldn't go with their guests through the same gate.

So for Extra Magic Hour with 5 day PH passes, do we get in the 4-5 day lines or the EMH lines?

Some of my kids will have 3 day PH and 2 will have 4day PH. This is yet another thing to plan ahead for and try to figure out. I had assumed we would all be entering together! UGHH! After all of this planning I will NEED a vacation!!
Okay, first, Disney is not going to separate you from small children. Second, may I advise not to worry about "plan[ning] ahead for and try[ing] to figure" this out? Seriously. It's just a question of which line to stand in. We just returned from 9 days at WDW. At no time in any of my planning did I worry about while turnstile we had to go through with our type of tickets. We got there, we read signs and asked a CM, we walked to wherever (a matter of 10-100 steps), and enter the Park for a great day. It's REALLY not something to worry about or (in my opinion) spend any time trying to figure out ahead of time --- especially since it could change any day. Just trying to help relieve you of unneeded planning. :goodvibes

Okay, take a deep breath. Disney is not going to ask you to separate from your 4 year old child and have him stand in a line by himself. When you arrive, ask a CM (who others have reported are walking around assisting people) and just ask them where to go given your specific situation.

So for Extra Magic Hour with 5 day PH passes, do we get in the 4-5 day lines or the EMH lines?

I would find a CM (whom others here have mentioned are walking amongst the lines helping people) and ask them. :goodvibes

- Dreams

I have now experienced the special lines for 4+ PH passes, and it could not have gone smoother. In fact, I was surprised at how short the lines were both at DL and DCA for me and my spouse.

The first time we used it, we printed our names on the back of the tickets, showed ID, and were in. In DCA, we simply showed the ticket and ID and that was that.

A couple with children were in front of us and they simply asked the parents to print the child's name and their name on the child ticket and would verify it via the parent's ID. No child was asked for an ID at any time from what I saw.

There were plenty of CMs available and I asked them which lines, they pointed them out, and I was on my way.

This has really been much ado about nothing, IMO.

I have now experienced the special lines for 4+ PH passes, and it could not have gone smoother. In fact, I was surprised at how short the lines were both at DL and DCA for me and my spouse.

The first time we used it, we printed our names on the back of the tickets, showed ID, and were in. In DCA, we simply showed the ticket and ID and that was that.

A couple with children were in front of us and they simply asked the parents to print the child's name and their name on the child ticket and would verify it via the parent's ID. No child was asked for an ID at any time from what I saw.

There were plenty of CMs available and I asked them which lines, they pointed them out, and I was on my way.

This has really been much ado about nothing, IMO.

Glad it went well for you. Were you there for early entry for either park? Or was your experience only during "normal" hours?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter