4 adults + different needs = going crazy

kittythepoohbear

Mouseketeer
Ack! I am usually really good at trip planning, but this situation is driving me insane and I would appreciate any advice. My mom and I have were thinking of heading down in Jan. and staying at POP as belated birthday presents to each other. But now we are thinking of surprising my mom's aunt (70+) and including her and my 19 y.o. sister for the trip. My poor auntie is going through a lot of stress and is in serious need of a vacation. We want to give her a few days of R&R. The plan is to stay in a nicer hotel, have auntie sit by the pool or lounge during the day, and then all go out for dinner and entertainment in the evenings. Here is where the craziness comes into play.
We are on a budget and plan on a package so we can use the DP. I figure around $250 - $300/night for 5 nights would be ok. This means either 2 mod. rooms (sharing double beds are not in the plan) or 1 deluxe. Deluxes are nicer and have more options, but the prices can get very steep. The mods. are nice but may be too spread out for my auntie and it will be a pain to get to other resorts. I have considered renting points and getting a one or two-bedroom DVC villa, but with the new rules, I think that may be difficult.
So what in the world do I do? I have crunched too many numbers and now have a headache. The Disney website is no help whatsoever. Any DISers out there ever make a similar decision? Anybody who is better in math that can figure out what would be the best value? What resort would best in terms of both budget and relaxation?

It sounds like a moderate will work out the best (2 rooms). Have you looked at the French Quarter? It is the smallest moderate and walking distance to Riverside. We like it because it seems quiter than the other mods.

If you are looking at Mod's, I also vote POFQ
. . . smallest of all Mod's
. . . quaint
. . . nice pool
. . . usually quiet hot tub
. . . nice, serene atmosphere
. . . nice food court and ESPECIALLY the bakery
. . . good lounge
. . . boat to Downtown Disney

Thank you both for your replies! I am heavily leaning on 2 rooms at POFQ at this point, although the idea of a deluxe room for just a little bit more per night is tempting. Anyone else have ideas or advice?

kittythepoohbear said:
I have considered renting points and getting a one or two-bedroom DVC villa, but with the new rules, I think that may be difficult.

Don't rule out renting points. The 'new' DVC rules aren't new, they've always existed but have not always been enforced. And neither of them will affect you. Disney is just letting members know that they're going to be tightening up in this area. There were two rules involved. One only affects DVC members who are transferring points to other members (restricted to once per year).

The other is the rule against 'commercial' renting of points. In other words, there are people out there who buy up large numbers of points to rent for profit, not to use themselves. This has always been prohibited, but Disney recently announced that they will be monitoring more closely for that kind of activity.

The DVC Rent/Trade board is as lively as ever, and you can still rent points. The vast majority of the members who rent points there are just regular folks who can't use their points at this time and want to recoup their costs.

Lynne M, thanks so much for the explaination of the DVC rules. I am in the "maybe one day" school of DVC ownership but the rules and point system confuse the heck out of me. I am glad to know that renting points is still an option. In fact, I believe that may be the best option in my case. Thanks again!

You're quite welcome! Once you get the hang of it, DVC is pretty easy to understand and use. A lot of people seem to be very concerned about the rule enforcement, but I just don't see how it will affect the vast majority of members and renters.

I agree that renting a DVC villa sounds like a good bet for your group; good luck and enjoy your trip!

I like the POFQ idea. You get more privacy even than if you rent points. Deluxe resorts can be very spread out, rambling affairs. You could pay a pretty penny for a room and still have quite the hike to the monorail or bus. With some of the value and moderate resorts you can get rooms darn close to the transportation, or if you have a car, you can get close to your room to pick up or drop off your aunt, even if you can't park right by it. I have a child who has a mobility disability, and that was one reason we booked ASMovies over SOG. At SOG it's always a trek, but it's less of one at the value and mod resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter