4/21/20 podcast

LOL< sorry about that. I thought it was Japan, because Pete mentioned it on the podcast??? Now I'm doubting myself but you get the gist of it. I think the idea of it is scary and just wouldn't work in the US, that's all. Thanks for clarifying that.:)

Both Apple and Google are talking about setting up a system like this on their phones. I think it’s optional, but Disney could make it mandatory. I’m not sure how it would work for minors.

I think they would really have to upgrade their wifi, as a substantial number of guests don’t have data plans they can use in the park. The WiFi drops out a lot as it is. If everyone had to keep a phone on and using the WiFi consistently, it would be much worse. I don’t keep my phone connected to the WiFi all the time. I screen capture my FP and put it on as my lock screen wallpaper and only turn the WiFi on when I need to add or change something. I would say about half the time, I can’t get a connection.

I don't know about everyone, but there's no one in my family that could have a 100 degree temp and not feel the effects of it.
I would imagine that depends on your personal baseline temp is. Someone with a baseline of 97 would probably notice it more than someone with a baseline of 99. I know people with those two baselines and am concerned that the one who is always 99 could have issues with admission going forward if 100.4 is considered high enough to ban a person from entering.

Sorry not everything we say interests you.

We are a travel agency and this is how we put food on the table.
I understand
Sorry not everything we say interests you.

We are a travel agency and this is how we put food on the table.
Kevin, I'm a long time fan of the show and look forward to it every week. Of course I understand that you are travel agents and no, not all discussion interests me. I will say timing is everything and the ABD discussion was very poor timing.

I think they would really have to upgrade their wifi, as a substantial number of guests don’t have data plans they can use in the park. The WiFi drops out a lot as it is. If everyone had to keep a phone on and using the WiFi consistently, it would be much worse. I don’t keep my phone connected to the WiFi all the time. I screen capture my FP and put it on as my lock screen wallpaper and only turn the WiFi on when I need to add or change something. I would say about half the time, I can’t get a connection.

If the parks let in a limited number of people, the existing service should work better. And Disney could afford to deny those that don’t have sufficient data plans. I can’t see them running at full capacity, so they can be picky.

If the parks let in a limited number of people, the existing service should work better. And Disney could afford to deny those that don’t have sufficient data plans. I can’t see them running at full capacity, so they can be picky.
I understand what you are saying, but I would hope that whatever restrictions they implement are more of a matter of customer "willingness" to cooperate rather than "ability" to cooperate. Things such as temperature checks or required masks will also meet some resistance, but at least they can be administered and/or provided there (even if Disney charged for the masks on site). It's much trickier territory if you are requiring customers to bring something along with them, and failure to bring it completely bars them from entering. Basically, I would think Disney, if they could, would want to come at it from a standpoint of, "hey you showed up, we gave you these doable options, and you refused. It's not our fault".

I understand what you are saying, but I would hope that whatever restrictions they implement are more of a matter of customer "willingness" to cooperate rather than "ability" to cooperate. Things such as temperature checks or required masks will also meet some resistance, but at least they can be administered and/or provided there (even if Disney charged for the masks on site). It's much trickier territory if you are requiring customers to bring something along with them, and failure to bring it completely bars them from entering. Basically, I would think Disney, if they could, would want to come at it from a standpoint of, "hey you showed up, we gave you these doable options, and you refused. It's not our fault".

I think, if they limit entry, they will target the population with the greatest per guest per day spend. They will want to maximize their revenue given the limits they’re going to face.

Last edited:
I understand. Of course I understand that you are travel agents and no, not all discussion interests me. I will say timing is everything and the ABD discussion was very poor timing.

1500 families had their June ABD reservations canceled this week. Guests booked in July have been receiving emails that they can move their planned vacations without penalty. ABD released 2021 dates including 3 new Adventures. Guests that have been displaced can begin booking 2021 dates now instead of waiting until the middle of May.

That all happened this week.....actually Monday.

Im sorry you thought the timing was poor. I think it was mandatory.

Speculating about when theme parks will reopen without any actual data is conversation.

This was news and it affected a great many people.

Last edited:
I can definitely see at least some people just never shaking hands ever going forward, for example
I certainly hope that's an outcome. What an awful custom that is. I work as an Urgent Care physician so I'm seeing sick people all day long. The number of them that expect me to shake their hand despite them being ill is alarming. If the only positive that comes out of this is people realizing their hands are disgusting, I'd be okay with that.

I certainly hope that's an outcome. What an awful custom that is. I work as an Urgent Care physician so I'm seeing sick people all day long. The number of them that expect me to shake their hand despite them being ill is alarming. If the only positive that comes out of this is people realizing their hands are disgusting, I'd be okay with that.

What greeting would you go for? Just like a wave or bow or something like that?

What greeting would you go for? Just like a wave or bow or something like that?

I think flapping your arms like a chicken would be ideal - the number of times would indicate how excited/pleased you are to see the other person. A "one flap" would enter the lexicon as "wow, what an insult, dude!"

Barring that... a nod of the head works!

Someo

I start with, "Hi. I'm Dr. G. What brings you in today?" and I end with "Thanks for coming in. I hope you feel better quickly." No hand gestures needed.
I think flapping your arms like a chicken would be ideal - the number of times would indicate how excited/pleased you are to see the other person. A "one flap" would enter the lexicon as "wow, what an insult, dude!"

Barring that... a nod of the head works!

Guess I am more wondering in current situations where handshakes are expected, what could be a suitable replacement? Like I attend a lot of business meetings where we all go around and shake hands and exchange business cards, etc. - what could that look like int he future if we move away from physical contact?

Guess I am more wondering in current situations where handshakes are expected, what could be a suitable replacement? Like I attend a lot of business meetings where we all go around and shake hands and exchange business cards, etc. - what could that look like int he future if we move away from physical contact?
I think the key is for handshakes to stop being expected. Why does anything have to replace them? What's wrong with, "Hi Joe, I'm Bob. Good to see you. Here's my card."

Indeed. Considering the fact that the handshake was originally used to either a) show you are not going to reach for your sword or b) a test to shake loose any hidden weapons on another person, I could do without that type of initial distrust. A smile and a 'Hello, good to meet you' is more than sufficient for me.

Unless we start going around wearing swords at our hip. I'd go for a cutlass, a classic pirate motif. Maybe a nice hat, too.

I intend to put my hand up as a wave and polite "stop right there" gesture. I have always been big on shaking hands until the last year or so. Granted, I am not out and about as much as I used to be, though.

I know in China they are using a QR code system that indicates if your health is green, yellow, or red and access to places is based on your coding

No idea if that could work in the U.S. - people might push back on invation of privacy and having to share medical information. Also, how does one get their QR code? Would everyone have the same level of access to getting one?
Disney already does room checks when people are in the shower. You'd be surprised what people will put up with. Besides, they can always opt out and not go. (This is what everyone tells us anti-room check folks lol).

As for the fever, plenty of people have asymptomatic fever or are just very stoic. Or just always feel generally tired and wouldn't notice. The problem is that plenty of people have covid without fevers. Many, possibly most, infectious people have no symptoms at all. Fever checks, like room checks, would be largely for show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter