• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

4/10/2010 eb ta "bound for barcelona"

APRIL 2010 EB TA - PICK A LANYARD - SEE POST #16 FOR PHOTO

• YELLOW LANYARD - BLACK LETTERS

• YELLOW LANYARD - RED LETTERS

• RED LANYARD - YELLOW LETTERS

• DARK BLUE LANYARD - WHITE LETTERS

• DARK BLUE LANYARD - YELLOW LETTERS

• BLACK LANYARD - WHITE LETTERS

• BLACK LANYARD - YELLOW LETTERS

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Anyone know of any good excursion outfits in Gibraltor they would recommend? We're interested in doing the cable car up to the Rock, touring around and then also seeing the Princess Caroline Battery and tunnels and stuff.

Not interested in the Barbaray Apes.

Also, I know in general that it is less expensive to go with a non-cruise line excursion. But wondering how the Disney arranged excursions compare both in pricing and in quality of excursion. Any personsal experiences / comparisons from the group?

This tour (copied from DCL website) is a lot like the tour that we did last time. We however just hured a driver outside the ship and had him for the day. It cost us about $80 for 6 of us for the day. We LOVED him and the tour.

Gibraltar Walking Tour
Activity Type: Sightseeing Adventures and Family Adventures
Activity Level: ActiveHelp
Duration: 3.5-4 hours
Adult Price: $65.00 (ages 10 and up)
Child Price: $55.00 (ages 3-9)
Ages: All Ages
On this tour you will:

Take an approximate 10-minute drive before boarding a cable car for the ascent to the top of the "Rock."
Wander the old battery site, home to a World War II gun emplacement, or shop for souvenirs for 30 minutes before embarking on a walking tour of the amazing St. Michael's Cave, featuring stalagmites and stalactites and a spectacular concert auditorium built inside the caves. Beginning about 350 meters above sea level and descending deep into "the Rock," St. Michael's Cave was once believed to be the territorial bridge between Gibraltar and Africa. Note: This tour includes up to 1.5 miles of walking, including some steep inclines, and up to 50 stairs. Wear comfortable walking shoes.
Journey back down the mountain to the Middle Station and enjoy a stroll through the sanctuary of the Barbary Apes, the only indigenous monkeys in all of Europe and Gibraltar's most famous inhabitants. Note: Barbary Apes are wild animals. Be advised to never touch or feed the apes at any time and to keep all food items out of sight, as the apes are known to snatch things. In addition, please note that there is a strict fine for anyone caught feeding the apes.
From the sanctuary, travel to Princess Caroline's Battery and the entrance of the Great Siege Tunnels. Enjoy a 30-minute guided walking tour through this labyrinth of tunnels, constructed as a massive defense system by the Royal Engineers of Great Britain to ward off attacks by France and Spain during the "Great Siege."
Drive back to the ship, passing the 14th-century Moorish Castle and the boutiques along Main Street.

Brooklyn -

Wow! So it does seem to be significantly less expensive to just hire a driver/van locally in Gibraltor. Did you do the cable car ride up to the Rock or did he drive your group up there? Wondering if the cable car ride is really worth the views or if we can get the same views at the top of Gibraltor.

And thanks also for previously posting the formal/semi-formal/pirate nights.

Cheers!

The next post is not intended to step all over toes, but I just wanted to re-iterate my thoughts.

If you are tired of lanyard discussions, please skip down to the bold letters and make sure you have answered the questions.

Double checking your info on the website would be a big help, too.

I don't see our group's information on your website for the lanyards/name tags. Sent it to you via email last week. Please let me know if you have it or if I need to resend again.

Thanks!

Brooklyn -

Wow! So it does seem to be significantly less expensive to just hire a driver/van locally in Gibraltor. Did you do the cable car ride up to the Rock or did he drive your group up there? Wondering if the cable car ride is really worth the views or if we can get the same views at the top of Gibraltor.

And thanks also for previously posting the formal/semi-formal/pirate nights.

Cheers!

We did not take the cable car. I am NOT a fan of cable cars. I may do it in Madeira bc we really want to do the tobaggan rides but not sure yet. They just make me very uneasy. We just had him drive us up there. The view was wonderful. Here are a few shots. I did not capture the view as I would have liked to but I really am no photographer! :rotfl2:

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

Now the next ones are not at the top but a cool sign that DD really liked to look at. This was one of the first stops. I think it might have been near the caves. It was basically like a look out type spot that our driver too us too. Brooklyn likes maps and it was neat to show her the ancient world and the world today...

One Side...
IMG_2567.jpg

Other Side...
IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

For those who do want interaction with the apes...

DD 4 has problems with her immune system. She got super sick after the day in Gibraltar. I am assuming it was from the Ape on her head. Which was not planned but the ape jumped on her anyway. It is just the way it is there. They are everywhere. No one else got sick in our party but that is usually the way it is in our family. Madison is just super sensative to things around her. Moral to my story...bring purell and any other items like that with you off the boat. We did not even expect to be around the apes at all. I had no idea they were EVERYWHERE! :scared1: They also can be VERY aggressive if you don't give them what they want. If they are trying to take something from you...I would not fight them. That is also another reason not to bring stuff with you that you don't want taken. Jewlery is something they will go for and even those lanyards we spend so much time talking about. You would not want it ripped off your neck after all the effort we have put into them! :rotfl2:

We did not take the cable car. I am NOT a fan of cable cars. I may do it in Madeira bc we really want to do the tobaggan rides but not sure yet. They just make me very uneasy. We just had him drive us up there. The view was wonderful. Here are a few shots. I did not capture the view as I would have liked to but I really am no photographer!

Great pictures...gives me a great idea of what we might be able to see....and thanks for the notice on the apes being EVERYWHERE!

Is there an entry cost/fee to go visit the Princess Caroline Battery and tunnels? I think I would consider paying for a guided tour if available. Would want the kids/me to hear and learn about the history. Or perhaps we'll go visit the museum instead.

You probably already mentioned this but how old are you DD's? Ours will be 7 and 5. They obviously can't wait! :banana:

Great pictures...gives me a great idea of what we might be able to see....and thanks for the notice on the apes being EVERYWHERE!

Is there an entry cost/fee to go visit the Princess Caroline Battery and tunnels? I think I would consider paying for a guided tour if available. Would want the kids/me to hear and learn about the history. Or perhaps we'll go visit the museum instead.

You probably already mentioned this but how old are you DD's? Ours will be 7 and 5. They obviously can't wait! :banana:

Our DD's will be 4 & 8 at the time of sailing. They can't wait either. They are soooooo excited!

Yes, the apes are everywhere. One even ran into the cafe we were eating at and stole a bag of our DD's chips.

There are entrance fees but I think they were covered by our driver. If we did pay them then they were not at a high cost at all.

The caves did not give much direction but in the tunnels there are interactive displays and lots of items to read. It was very informative. They have made the tunnels more like a musuem.

Here are a few examples...

This was explaining a soliders rations
IMG_2719.jpg

This guy talked
IMG_2721.jpg

Here he is eating our chips outside the cafe...
IMG_2617.jpg

Love this packing list. I think it is great bc you can create it online, or print a PDF or personalize the Word version....

Packing List

This is the list I have for the Palo Dinner. If it is not correct, please pm me.

1. Linda (stlkeeler)

2.Lynne (auntlynne)

3.Steven (sdlong329)

4.Donna (sdlong329)

5.Dee (Dee47)

6.Kristi - bound2travel

7. Tricia (Dishy24)

8. Pat (Dishy24)

9. Mike (Dishy24)

10. mommyto3princesses

11. mommyto3princesses DH

Alternates:

Sandra (goofprincess)

Tony (goofprincess)

Jennifer dennisgirl

Dennis dennisgirl

Note: Sandra and Tony are you still interested in joining us?

Love this packing list. I think it is great bc you can create it online, or print a PDF or personalize the Word version....

Packing List

Great lists!

Questions: 1) On the cruise ship, is a special charging adapter required? Or does the ship have normal 110V outlets?

2) For the onboard ship washer/dryer - are quarters required? I thought I read somewhere these machines can be operated/charged via your cruise charge card.

Thanks!

Great lists!

Questions: 1) On the cruise ship, is a special charging adapter required? Or does the ship have normal 110V outlets?

2) For the onboard ship washer/dryer - are quarters required? I thought I read somewhere these machines can be operated/charged via your cruise charge card.

Thanks!

I can answer the first question. No special charger is needed on the ship. The outlet are just like in the US. You will need one if you are spending any time in Europe after the cruise.

Kristi

kumquat88 said:
1) On the cruise ship, is a special charging adapter required? Or does the ship have normal 110V outlets?

1) 110V outlets. There is only one outlet available by the dressing table (with large mirror). Remember to look behind the flat panel TV, as there are extra outlets available for use there. This is especially great when charing multiple items.

2) The W/D's formerly required quarters. Now, you use your KTTW card for W/D, as well as detergent. I thought I saw reference that these are now high-efficiency, and someone suggested making proper selection for laundry detergent (less suds).

Are we sure that the purex sheets work in high-effeciency washers? There is not very much water to activate them?

We are back from wdw :) so now I need to concentrate on stuff for this cruise!

Can someone direct me to whoever is organizing the fish extenders stuff? I need to plan out what we're bringing and how many things we need. I have 3 cabins participating. Can we all group together to do one day's gift? I know on our last cruise there were so many cabins participating that we went in groups of like 6 cabins for each day.

Hello,

Anyone know of any good excursion outfits in Gibraltor they would recommend? We're interested in doing the cable car up to the Rock, touring around and then also seeing the Princess Caroline Battery and tunnels and stuff.

Not interested in the Barbaray Apes.

Also, I know in general that it is less expensive to go with a non-cruise line excursion. But wondering how the Disney arranged excursions compare both in pricing and in quality of excursion. Any personsal experiences / comparisons from the group?

I received the following response from Gibraltar Tours http://www.gibraltartours.org/

I do *NOT* have any personal experience with this tour group and I honestly don't know if someone on this board recommended them or if I found them by searching the internet.

I am a little concern that 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 hours would not give enough time to truly explore and enjoy the sights.

Thank you for your email and interest in Gibraltartours.If so please see information below regarding tours and prices:The Standard Tour, lasting one and a half hours at a cost of £25 per person,this tour includes visiting Pillars of Hercules, St. Michael’s Cave, the Topof the Rock, the Apes, the Great Siege Tunnels.The Extended tour, lasting two and a half hours approx, costs £35 per personand includes visiting Pillars of Hercules, St. Michael’s Cave, the Top ofthe Rock, the Apes, the Great Siege Tunnels and Moorish Castle, we will alsodrive to the Frontier Area and Europa Point via Camp Bay and Keightley WayTunnel. At Europa Point there are spectacular views to Africa and from thispoint you can see three Countries, two Continents, the Atlantic and theentrance to the Mediterranean Sea.These tours do not involve much walking and as a qualified guide, You willbe given a complete historical commentary throughout the duration of thetour. The vehicle used for this tour will be a Volkswagon Caravelle, 8seater, is fully air-conditioned and would be for your party exclusive. Theprice is inclusive of all entrance fees.

Just caught up on all my missed pages. Wow, I miss a few days, and have a million pages to catch up on. LOL
Sorry if these are old topics. :)
QOTD: Have you been to Europe or is this your first time?

This will be my 5th trip to Europe. I have been to England, France, Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Denmark, Norway, Poland, Russia, Sweden, Finland, and Estonia. I love the history and architecture, can't get enough of it. I am excited to add some new countries and a new continent to my list!

We are back from wdw :) so now I need to concentrate on stuff for this cruise!

Can someone direct me to whoever is organizing the fish extenders stuff? I need to plan out what we're bringing and how many things we need. I have 3 cabins participating. Can we all group together to do one day's gift? I know on our last cruise there were so many cabins participating that we went in groups of like 6 cabins for each day.

Welcome back from WDW! I am jealous. How was it? I bet you all had a blast!

I think that the general consensus of the group is that you can go in with someone else to combine to do a FE gift, but it has to be delivered to everbody. Am I wording that right everyone? Alot of times I know what I want to say, but it comes out wrong.
Check post #10 and see if the adults and children in your 3 cabins are correct. After the deadline on February 1st and as cabins start getting assigned, we will start doing a more detailed list. Also, on the website it has a more detailed version.

Auntlynne, my son (DS7) is listed as a girl on the FE list of children. Just wanted you to know so that people won't prepare for him wrong. LOL

I have have been talking to them back and forth and we have now officially booked 2 vans with them on there 2 1/2 tour. We are 3 families with kids and they reassured us it was more than enough time to see everything. they also reassured me they do not rush you through it. If you need a little extra they will accomendate.
This tour is a fraction of the cost of the DCL tours, which I think the DCL tours are extortion (shame on them).

Alex

I received the following response from Gibraltar Tours http://www.gibraltartours.org/

I do *NOT* have any personal experience with this tour group and I honestly don't know if someone on this board recommended them or if I found them by searching the internet.

I am a little concern that 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 hours would not give enough time to truly explore and enjoy the sights.

Thank you for your email and interest in Gibraltartours.If so please see information below regarding tours and prices:The Standard Tour, lasting one and a half hours at a cost of £25 per person,this tour includes visiting Pillars of Hercules, St. Michael’s Cave, the Topof the Rock, the Apes, the Great Siege Tunnels.The Extended tour, lasting two and a half hours approx, costs £35 per personand includes visiting Pillars of Hercules, St. Michael’s Cave, the Top ofthe Rock, the Apes, the Great Siege Tunnels and Moorish Castle, we will alsodrive to the Frontier Area and Europa Point via Camp Bay and Keightley WayTunnel. At Europa Point there are spectacular views to Africa and from thispoint you can see three Countries, two Continents, the Atlantic and theentrance to the Mediterranean Sea.These tours do not involve much walking and as a qualified guide, You willbe given a complete historical commentary throughout the duration of thetour. The vehicle used for this tour will be a Volkswagon Caravelle, 8seater, is fully air-conditioned and would be for your party exclusive. Theprice is inclusive of all entrance fees.

Hi guys!!
I'm a first time Disney Cruiser and so extremely excited. I've been told loads about how fantastic Palo is and was psyched to book my family reservations.
Yesteday at midnight reservations opened for first time cruisers. At 00:12 I was logged in. NOTHING available for Tea or Brunch, and only PORT days available for Palo. REALLY? Not a single day at sea reservation left for us newbies? And NO brunch or tea times?

Has anyone else had difficulty booking Palo?
Any tips would be appreciated!

I have have been talking to them back and forth and we have now officially booked 2 vans with them on there 2 1/2 tour. We are 3 families with kids and they reassured us it was more than enough time to see everything. they also reassured me they do not rush you through it. If you need a little extra they will accomendate.
This tour is a fraction of the cost of the DCL tours, which I think the DCL tours are extortion (shame on them).

Alex

I'm with a group that is also booked with them. There are six adults in our group :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter