3D Simulators and Eye Problems

Kowwie

Earning My Ears
Hi guys,

My boyfriend and I will be finally getting to go home in February! He unfortunately has a chronic eye disorder that prevents him from seeing 3D effects.

I am not concerned about him going on "It's Tough to be a Bug" or even "Star Tours" because I know there are other effects that he can enjoy. However, I haven't been since 2006 and I am concerned about "Flight of Passage" and "Toy Story Mania!"

Has anyone here had a similar dilemma and could advise?

I know you said you're not concerned about "Star Tours" (because of other effects), Flight of Passage should fall right in with Star Tours. It does have other effects as well.
I could imagine that maybe Toy Store Mania may be a bit of an issue because it is a target shooting 3D game as well as being a ride. I don't know first hand because I don't know anyone with that type of eye problem.
Best wishes on your Feb trip.

Last edited:
Are you saying that the two of you are planning and planning to not go on rides that have 3-D effects because he won't get the full expeirence? Don't do that and miss out on things.

I would think that he can still enjoy the ride without 3-D. If the ride uses 3-D eyeglasses provided by Disney he must still get and wear them.

For the most part you can experience how a 3-D impaired person would see things by closing one eye.

I have a similar issue. A tumor that sits at the nerve and when it gets aggravated (by 3D effects, night driving or fast action on screens) it causes significant pain and I lose function in that eye. I’m explaining because I understand the issue could be different. I go on all 3D rides and don’t wear the glasses (I do take them). The rides I have the most problems with are FoP and Star Tours. Mostly because my eyes work hard to track everything that’s going on. I did not wear the glasses in either as that would make things worse. If I feel the pain coming on, I close my eyes until the ride is over. I had to do that at the very end of FoP but it won’t stop me from going on again in 2 weeks!

I understand that may not be helpful as it is more than likely a different issue, but thought I’d let you know my experience on a couple rides. I’ve never had problems on TSMM as I can concentrate on the target and not the action and of course, I don’t wear the glasses. I can’t wear them in Muppets either.

I don’t see 3D in my regular life. Also I can’t really see it at the movies but whatever technology Disney uses I am amazed because I see 3 D on their rides/shows. Even my eye doctor was amazed. Toy story is the hardest one for me because my eyes get tired on it and by the end it isn’t as good but I have no problems at Disney.

I don’t see 3D in my regular life. Also I can’t really see it at the movies but whatever technology Disney uses I am amazed because I see 3 D on their rides/shows. Even my eye doctor was amazed. Toy story is the hardest one for me because my eyes get tired on it and by the end it isn’t as good but I have no problems at Disney.

This is the same for my DH. He had a "lazy eye" as a kid so his two eyes focus in different planes which is why he couldn't see the 3D stuff. But the newer 3D at Disney also works for him, which is great!

DW sees out of both eyes, but only out of one at a time - so no true depth perception or 3D effects. She uses the glasses because every once in awhile, depending on the 3D tech being used, she'll momentarily have a 3D experience. She still enjoys all of the 3D experiences. She was surprised at how much of FOP was actually in 3D, and she totally enjoyed the experience. It's by far her favorite ride. Toy Story isn't a problem, and she does exceptionally well with all the games except the ring toss (thank goodness, because otherwise she'd beat me nearly every time). She even enjoys the 3D movies (i.e. Mickey's Philharmagic) although she knows she's mostly missing the effects entirely.

Don't skip the 3D stuff just because he doesn't see 3D. The experiences, according to DW, are still great, and he will still see everything in whatever mode is normal for him.

Steve

I would not skip the 3d rides because of a vision problem ( lazy eye, strabismus, tummer or whatever it is) go and have fun closing one eye can help

This is very interesting. My mum is pretty much blind in one eye. Does this mean she'll be able to see the 3D stuff (even if it isn't necessarily in 3D) rather than blurry images (which is what I'd assumed). If so I may have to relook at our touring plan to include all the 3D stuff I'd left out!

This is very interesting. My mum is pretty much blind in one eye. Does this mean she'll be able to see the 3D stuff (even if it isn't necessarily in 3D) rather than blurry images (which is what I'd assumed). If so I may have to relook at our touring plan to include all the 3D stuff I'd left out!

Hopefully someone knows the answer - sadly I don’t. I see out of both eyes but not together - my brain blocks out one eye or the other so I usually only see out of one at a time. I don’t know if I am only seeing out of one eye during these shows or somehow I am able to see out of both of them. If I was going sooner I would close one eye to see what happens but alas I am not going until summer. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer

I have a “lazy eye”. I put the 3D glasses over my regular glasses and occasionally can see some 3 D effects; mainly on mickeys philharmagic where there’s not a bunch of moving. It depends on how different the visual acuity is in each eye whether they can focus enough to get a 3D effect.

I have problems seeing the old type of 3D that really pops out at you instead of showing depth. Parts of Philharmagic (like Ariel sticking her hands out) are doubled for me with both eyes open, but if I close one eye its fine. It’s not 3D but its not blurry either.

I have a lazy eye, and can't always make out 3D effects. However, I still enjoy the 3D attractions.

DW sees out of both eyes, but only out of one at a time - so no true depth perception or 3D effects. She uses the glasses because every once in awhile, depending on the 3D tech being used, she'll momentarily have a 3D experience. She still enjoys all of the 3D experiences. She was surprised at how much of FOP was actually in 3D, and she totally enjoyed the experience. It's by far her favorite ride.
Don't skip the 3D stuff just because he doesn't see 3D. The experiences, according to DW, are still great, and he will still see everything in whatever mode is normal for him.

Steve

Same here. I was diagnosed with lazy eye as a child and went through treatment to strengthen the weak eye, but it was discovered the muscle they were trying to improve was simply missing. I have vision in both eyes, they just don't focus at the same time. Old school 3D was frustrating to me (Honey, I shrunk the audience, 3D comics and those blasted Magic Image pictures) but I'm actually able to enjoy FoP, and lots of Philharmagic and ITTBAB - just not the "jumping out at you" stuff as someone described earlier. I've also adapted to the eye test at the DMV (close one eye!) and life is good. Don't skip the 3D stuff because of this eye thing.... it's still a blast.

This is so interesting- I'm the same! Cheesy, but I'm kind of comforted that I'm not alone in the world, as I've never met anyone else who just doesn't see in 3D during every day life (and certainly not during 3D movies). Raise your hands if your worst nightmare is going down high/long stairways made of horizontal wooden beams :rotfl2: "you guys go on ahead, I'll meet you at the bottom in an hour". Also, balls. don't even bother trying to throw that thing to me. ;)

I too had lazy eyes as an infant (well, muscle issues which then turned into lazy eye). I had them corrected with surgery as a baby, went through treatment and have worn glasses/contacts my entire life. Similar to others, my eyes just do not work together like most people. As I get older, the muscles are re-weakening and they may have to be repaired again.

Movies don't work- I can sit through them and will wear the glasses to sharpen, but no effects. My eye doctor doesn't recommend that I go to many 3D movies, as they'll just exhaust me (both my brain which is trying to keep up by overanalyzing visual cues and my actual eyes), which they do- so I avoid them. I too wouldn't worry too much about your partner. Personally, it's just something I'm used to and wouldn't want to hold anyone back.

think of it this way; we can't see in 3D ever- even during our normal lives, so our brains/eyes won't process that anything's missing. The ride's relative cool factor will be the same for "us" as for y'all. If someone has never seen the colour blue, they aren't going to notice if it's not there IYKWIM.

I am now super intrigued to see if Disney Magic 3D works like some others have said it might- hey, maybe they need to partner up with the Opthals/optometrists of the world and come up with a miracle cure!

The 3D effect of FoP is very light. I felt that there were problems with the design of the glasses, last year it was too large, this year I felt that the edge of the glasses sort of obstructed the view. So I did one ride (I rode it 5 times during my AK day) with the glasses off and I enjoyed it, there was not much difference.
TSMM: you do need the 3D effects -- I once took off the glasses and every object had several replicas, well that is how they achieve the 3D effects.

Raise your hands if your worst nightmare is going down high/long stairways made of horizontal wooden beams guys go on ahead, I'll meet you at the bottom in an hour". Also, balls. don't even bother trying to throw that thing to me. ;)

Sing it, sister! I can't deal with those either. Also.... please do NOT ask me to pull the car up closer to the gas pump/other car/curb. Closer? I am close. Aren't.... I.....?o_O

Sing it, sister! I can't deal with those either. Also.... please do NOT ask me to pull the car up closer to the gas pump/other car/curb. Closer? I am close. Aren't.... I.....?o_O

lol. back up cameras with those amazing green/red lines are the best invention ever made imo. I can now reverse my car like a normal human. Almost ;).

I too had lazy eyes as an infant (well, muscle issues which then turned into lazy eye). I had them corrected with surgery as a baby, went through treatment and have worn glasses/contacts my entire life. Similar to others, my eyes just do not work together like most people. As I get older, the muscles are re-weakening and they may have to be repaired again.

Movies don't work- I can sit through them and will wear the glasses to sharpen, but no effects. My eye doctor doesn't recommend that I go to many 3D movies, as they'll just exhaust me (both my brain which is trying to keep up by overanalyzing visual cues and my actual eyes), which they do- so I avoid them. I too wouldn't worry too much about your partner. Personally, it's just something I'm used to and wouldn't want to hold anyone back.

think of it this way; we can't see in 3D ever- even during our normal lives, so our brains/eyes won't process that anything's missing. The ride's relative cool factor will be the same for "us" as for y'all. If someone has never seen the colour blue, they aren't going to notice if it's not there IYKWIM.

I am now super intrigued to see if Disney Magic 3D works like some others have said it might- hey, maybe they need to partner up with the Opthals/optometrists of the world and come up with a miracle cure!

After my 5 surgery I said no more ( and each one involved the movement of more then one muscle in each eye one involved the muscle in the very back of the eye) did the glasses, eye patch, eye drops thing too but nothing lasted long.

I can not sit thoug movies either. With my eye problems I also have ADD

I have gone to Disney all my life ( took off about 10 years in the early 2000 ) and when I would see 3D movies at Disney it was like any other time I just did not see the 3D effects. My eye dr have done a number of test on me too see if I could see 3D and it has always been a NO ( they did one test too see if I even had a little and that came back as none ). I went too see philharmonic (95% sure this was the show) at the MK and for the first time for a few seconds in my life I saw 3D. I started to cry a CM asked if I was ok and when I told him he told me he was one of the inmaginers that worked on the movie 3D and they made away so people with one eye could see the effects. ( not sure if all of the movies have this ) it was quite cool but saidly has not happened again for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter