321GO - The Alternative West Coast TR - Day 5

Chilly

RIP Tag Fairy
Monday 21st May

The day i'd be looking forward to was here! We both woke up pretty early as we'd had an early night that day before so we just chilled out reading and relaxing before we needed to get up. I packed up our bags and Mike did a breakfast run then it was time to check out of the hotel. We'd planned on walking to the cruise terminal but as it was still pouring we grabbed a taxi which luckily took US dollars as we'd spent all our Canadian. When we got there we joined the long queue to enter, well it wouldn't be Disney without a queue would it, and went through security and Immagration where being a non US citizen paid off as no one was in our queue and so we entered the main part of the terminal where we got boarding number 10. We joined the queue to check in which was another long queue, once at the front we give the CM our details including our ESTA to which he says do you have another one as this ones expired. My heart stops beating. I take it back off him and look at the date and point the date out to him and he realises he was reading it wrong. My heart restarts. We sit down to wait for our boarding number which doesn't take long and before you know it they are welcoming the Worden family aboard, well as close to Worden as they can say, I don't know why so many people can't say our surename its pretty simple, Word-en. Unusually they are pointing people in the direction of Parrot Cay not BBB which is not a good thing as its full and they won't let anyone else in so we decide to try BBB. We get some food but there are no seats inside so we have to sit outside in the rain. I don't like eating outside at the best of times so this is not a good start to the cruise and by the time i've gotten extra napkins to wipe down the table my food is nearly cold. What I eat is nice though but neither of us had much and leave to find a warmer spot. To cheer myself up I get my first cocktail at the promenade lounge, a chocolate martini.

Holiday2012197.jpg

The staterooms then opened up so we headed over hoping our luggage would be there but sadly it was not. We just had an inside cabin, I had been going to ask how much an upgrade was at the port but before I could the woman checking in next to us asked and was told they were all gone. The room was fine for us though and meant we saved the money. We were on deck 7 aft the same as on our honeymoon and we liked this location.

Holiday2012198.jpg

Holiday2012207.jpg

We spot that our character breakfast is the same day as Palo brunch so head out to see if we can change that. We go into Studio Sea where they are doing all that sort of thing, I expected it to be packed with people trying to swap things up get Palo reservations but we are the only ones there. I ask if we can move our breakfast and he says it shouldn't be a problem but to speak to our head server. We head back to the room to wait for the luggage, it finally arrives and I unpack realising i've lost track of time and missed the DIS meet, we run over but its just breaking up, and now its life boat drill time. Ours is in Animators Palate, it doesn't take too long but given the list of cabin numbers they read out a lot of people seemed to be missing. We walk around the ship a bit then over at guest services I book martini tasting for later in the week and then stay in the lobby for the sail away party but we don't stay too long, just long enough to see the charcters and get some streamer thingys which I put in my hair much to DH's dismay. We head outside and grab a snack, chicken tendors for me and pizza for Mike then watch the ship leave port and sail under the bridge we'd seen yesterday from the park, we didn't clear it by much.

Holiday2012200.jpg

Holiday2012202.jpg

Holiday2012205.jpg

Holiday2012206.jpg

Holiday2012211.jpg

Holiday2012212.jpg

Holiday2012216.jpg

Holiday2012219.jpg

Holiday2012222.jpg

Holiday2012226.jpg

Holiday2012228.jpg

Back to the room and we change for the evening, first stop the show as we are on second dinner seating, which is part cruise staff and characters and then a preview of one of the acts coming up on the ship that week. I do some pin shopping and spot the D&B bags which starts my campaign on DH for him to get me one. We go outside to play shuffleboard, its not that cold and after a bad start I win 71 to 50.

Holiday2012232.jpg

Holiday2012231.jpg

Holiday2012230.jpg

Dinner is now calling which tonight was at Parrott Cay and we unexpectedly find ourselves seated on our own at a table for 4. We notice other twos at tables for 4 and plenty of empty tables. We are sad to be seated alone and puts a bit of a downer on our first meal. It doesn't get any better when the assistant server comes over, doesn't smile and doesn't introduce herself. Our main server Anthony who is from Jamaica is much more friendly though than Polish Klaudia and doesn't stop smiling. To start DH gets the crab and I have chicken. Main course for DH is mixed grill while I have the ribeye steak. To finish DH opts for tonights trio and I go for the sundae.

Holiday2012233.jpg

Holiday2012234.jpg

Holiday2012236.jpg

Holiday2012235.jpg

Holiday2012238.jpg

Holiday2012237.jpg

Just as Mike takes his first bite of his dessert Klaudia asks for our room key to charge for our drinks, could she not have waited till we'd finished? Also the MDR was lacking atmosphere tonight as all around us they were relaying the empty tables for breakfast which I was surprised about and made you feel a bit like you were in their way, this happened all week though and we soon got used to it. After breakfast we watched the quiz in Studio Sea where I had a lovely pomo cosmo then we headed to Wavebands to check out the band and then played Wonderquest which was a lot of fun but we didn't try too hard and enjoyed the inventiveness of those around us, next time we'll go better prepared. Then it was backed to the room where we found our first towel animal and a gift from a Disser, we weren't taking part in the FE but had been left a gift by the other UK Disser from the group, a diary, very thoughtful. Mike ran up to deck 9 to get us some drinks then it was lights out.

Holiday2012243.jpg

Holiday2012246.jpg

Holiday2012244.jpg

It is great to see the Wonder again so soon. I know what you mean about being disappointed about being seated by yourselves. We had this happen for the last two cruises now. I had to smile when you mentioned who your server was as we had Anthony on our Hawaii cruise. He was teamed up with a different Assistant Server though.

Corinna

It is great to see the Wonder again so soon. I know what you mean about being disappointed about being seated by yourselves. We had this happen for the last two cruises now. I had to smile when you mentioned who your server was as we had Anthony on our Hawaii cruise. He was teamed up with a different Assistant Server though.

Corinna

Anthony got sick on our cruise but he carried on till the end.

Was just a cold.

If it was MAN FLU he must have felt terrible.....I keep telling DW that I have had it :rotfl:
Pity about the poor server, like all dining, they can make a huge difference :sad2:

Yay, you're on the Wonder! pirate:

Your cabin is very nice, we've booked the same one for our DDs this time round as I don't think we'd manage all in the same one for a whole week, it was fine for 3 nights but not for 7.

Shame about you being sat on your own because meeting others is half the fun of cruising. We were sat with a nice family last time and I'm hoping we will be again.
If it was MAN FLU he must have felt terrible.....I keep telling DW that I have had it :rotfl:
You sound just like my DH! :rotfl2:

Yay your are on board. Such a shame about the dining arrangements, doesn't seem to be very considerate, but at least you made the best of it and got used to it all.

The Wonder looks fab! Sorry to hear about the unsmiling server, Anthony sounds nice though.

The cabin you had looks nice and comfortable.

Hope the campain to get DH to buy you a D&B went well! xx

Another great day, you manage to fit loads in. Shame about the assistant server though.

The ship looks really nice, as does the food :)

I don't know why so many people can't say our surename its pretty simple, Word-en.

I've always pronounced it Ward-en :guilty:

So glad you are finally on board. I just wish I could see the photos at work :sad2:

What a shame you didn't have any tablemates. Still, at least it meant you didn't have any BAD tablemates. Be grateful for small mercies ;)

Lovely first day on board the Wonder. Looking forward to seeing what you got up to on your cruise.

Pity about the poor server, like all dining, they can make a huge difference :sad2:

I'm so glad my DH doesn't get man flu he's immune.

Yay, you're on the Wonder! pirate:

Your cabin is very nice, we've booked the same one for our DDs this time round as I don't think we'd manage all in the same one for a whole week, it was fine for 3 nights but not for 7.

Shame about you being sat on your own because meeting others is half the fun of cruising. We were sat with a nice family last time and I'm hoping we will be again. You sound just like my DH! :rotfl2:

Yeah the room was fine we didn't miss outside light at all really, the odd time we were in the room it might have been nice but the money saved was a lot so...

Yay your are on board. Such a shame about the dining arrangements, doesn't seem to be very considerate, but at least you made the best of it and got used to it all.

Seemed a very undisney way.

The Wonder looks fab! Sorry to hear about the unsmiling server, Anthony sounds nice though.

The cabin you had looks nice and comfortable.

Hope the campain to get DH to buy you a D&B went well! xx

More on hte D&B later...

Another great day, you manage to fit loads in. Shame about the assistant server though.

Update on her in day 6.

The ship looks really nice, as does the food :)

I like cruising so I can have 3 courses and not be stuck in my chair as they are nice portion sizes.

I've always pronounced it Ward-en :guilty:

So glad you are finally on board. I just wish I could see the photos at work :sad2:

What a shame you didn't have any tablemates. Still, at least it meant you didn't have any BAD tablemates. Be grateful for small mercies ;)

Lovely first day on board the Wonder. Looking forward to seeing what you got up to on your cruise.

Def glad we didn't get bad tablemates.

Love the posing photos with the posters :) Great start to your cruise.

2 of my fav shows.

Your cabin is very nice, we've booked the same one for our DDs this time round

The cabin looks so nice and cosy, considering we've got that one next year!!

Love reading this trip report and seeing all the photos! Can't wait for the rest of the cruise :)

Yayyyy the cruise has begun... all very exciting and glad to see the chocolate martini figured first! I like your stateroom...Cinderfella and I need to learn how to play that shuttledeckgamethingymajigy

I hope your Assistant Server warmed up... I would have been already looking at this as my challenge for the week!

Boo to dining on your own.. that would make me sad.

Yayyyy the cruise has begun... all very exciting and glad to see the chocolate martini figured first! I like your stateroom...Cinderfella and I need to learn how to play that shuttledeckgamethingymajigy

I hope your Assistant Server warmed up... I would have been already looking at this as my challenge for the week!

Boo to dining on your own.. that would make me sad.

Shuffleboard is great fun we had a few games, DH loves it. I took up the challenge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter