• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

3 year old girl dies from fall in Anaheim...

When my kids were little, balconies made me very nervous. My boys were climbers, so I couldn't take my eyes off of them around a balcony. One time at home, I turned around and my toddler was standing on the dining room table. Another time he was playing in the backyard and was climbing the fence around the pool.

They really should put some plexiglass or netting of some type to prevent a child from slipping through the bars, if that's what happened.

There's no concrete report on whether she may have gone through the bars or climbed over the railing. One report suggests that she climbed over the railing to be with her family downstairs in the atrium.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/girl-672535-old-death.html

I also mentioned the little girl who fell through the crack at the Golden Gate Bridge. It wasn't even the highest point where it happened, although the issue would have been apparent through the entire bridge. That girl fell down onto dry land before the bridge was over the water. Here's a photo showing where they rigged cables to prevent anyone from falling through:

golden_gate_sidewalk.jpg

Those cables are actually to prevent people and bikers from accidentally going into the traffic lanes on the bridge. The railing on the right is what separates the pedestrians from going over the bridge. There has always been a huge controversy about that railing. People don't want the view obstructed (it's a HUGE tourist attraction, and I doubt people would bother going there if they couldn't see over the railing). OTOH, it is also a very tempting place for people to commit suicide. Tough call.

I've walked that bridge with my children (when they were small) on more than one occasion. Smart parenting dictates that you have your child (young ones anyway) well under control if you walk there.

Those cables are actually to prevent people and bikers from accidentally going into the traffic lanes on the bridge. The railing on the right is what separates the pedestrians from going over the bridge. There has always been a huge controversy about that railing. People don't want the view obstructed (it's a HUGE tourist attraction, and I doubt people would bother going there if they couldn't see over the railing). OTOH, it is also a very tempting place for people to commit suicide. Tough call.

I've walked that bridge with my children (when they were small) on more than one occasion. Smart parenting dictates that you have your child (young ones anyway) well under control if you walk there.

The railing on the left is for that purpose, but I was referring to the cables at the bottom that separate the path from the girders. A two year old slipped through one of those openings back in 1997. Here's an article

PAGE ONE -- Girl, 2, Dies In Fall From Gate Bridge / Toddler trips, slips through 9 1/2-inch gap
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/PAGE-ONE-Girl-2-Dies-In-Fall-From-Gate-2788651.php
A 2-year-old girl stumbled while walking on the Golden Gate Bridge with her family yesterday, plunging through a narrow gap 167 feet to her death on the ground below.

The girl, identified as Gauri Govil of Fremont, fell through a 9 1/2-inch space between the sidewalk and the traffic lanes. The gap runs along a metal barrier that separates the sidewalk from the roadway, and is barely visible to pedestrians.

What's the over/under before the family files a lawsuit against Embassy?

If the railings aren't to code, a lawsuit wouldn't be inappropriate.

The second article says mom was taking a shower. That is NOT unattended. that is a normal part of life. Might have been good to flip that top bar thing on the door, but then some kids are able to climb up on chairs to open it etc.

Poor little thing.

We stayed at an Embassy in Ft Lauderdale last year and I was hugging the walls while walking. Made my son do the same. And he's 10.

The second article says mom was taking a shower. That is NOT unattended. that is a normal part of life. Might have been good to flip that top bar thing on the door, but then some kids are able to climb up on chairs to open it etc.

Poor little thing.

We stayed at an Embassy in Ft Lauderdale last year and I was hugging the walls while walking. Made my son do the same. And he's 10.
How is that not "unattended"? She was in a separate room with no clue as to what her child was doing. I agree that it's normal to do, and that this was a tragic accident, but she was still unattended.

Poor little thing.

If the child was outside of the room while the mom was inside the room, then yes, she was unattended.

How awful for that little cutie and her family. May her memory be a blessing to those who knew and loved her.

:sad:

It is a tragedy and heartbreaking and could not imagine what the parents must be feeling right now but do not think it is the totally the hotel's fault. We were just in Copenhagen and I was shocked that on a multi-story hotel the outside windows actually opened with no screens. That would not fly here but maybe people take personal responsibility to a different degree over there.

We often say we are being smothered with so many protections thrown on us. In general I think it would be very hard to have hotels and businesses and national parks/zoos/attractions foresee every single harm that may come our way. We as humans have to be diligent and use our own common sense more than we do.

MJ

I live in Europe, and our windows are like this. I have three little ones, and our apartment is on the 3rd (4th U.S) floor. I don't ever leave the windows open when my kids are unattended in a room. They'd have to climb and make an effort to get into real danger, but my two year old is capable of it and daring enough for certain. I do love my big open windows, but I sure do wish they had screens to keep kids in and bugs out.

I live in Europe, and our windows are like this. I have three little ones, and our apartment is on the 3rd (4th U.S) floor. I don't ever leave the windows open when my kids are unattended in a room. They'd have to climb and make an effort to get into real danger, but my two year old is capable of it and daring enough for certain. I do love my big open windows, but I sure do wish they had screens to keep kids in and bugs out.

Screens are great for keeping bugs out but I wouldn't count on them to keep a child in. Most screens would give under the weight of a child leaning against them.

Yep, the norm in Germany are windows which swing fully open, just like a door and they do not have screens. Many are pretty low towards the floor, so it would be super easy to go out of one. It took some getting used to.

This easily could be one of those situations where Mom was taking a shower and the other family members decided to get breakfast. The little girl wanted to go too but they told her to stay. After a crying fit she opens the door to follow them. Then the tragedy happens. It's plausible that Mom had no idea that any of this happened.

Regardless, it's a sad situation all around.

That is very sad.
Why wasn't the child being better supervised? It is so important that small children not be left unintended for any longer than what may be necessary at the time.
It really is a tragic situation.

That is very sad.
Why wasn't the child being better supervised? It is so important that small children not be left unintended for any longer than what may be necessary at the time.
It really is a tragic situation.
I really dislike this kind of post. There is no evidence at all to suggest some sort of gross negligence. A family has lost their child and is grieving and in the most horrible of emotional pain. Why add to it by placing blame? In the course of every day life, with attentive and loving parents who normally do it all right, things can still go horribly wrong and tragedy can strike.
I feel nothing but sympathy for those parents.

Last edited:
Yeah. That is what I say too with many posts on this site.
That is how it should work on discussion forums, being you say your peace and to do so without someone censoring, editing or deleting your words, simply because someone doesn't like your posts.
No one censored, edited or deleted your words. You said your piece, and I said mine in reaction.
There is no evidence whatsoever to indicate that the parents were drinking or generally inattentive (the poor mother was out and seeing it happen when the child fell). For all any of us know, the mother went to the bathroom, came out to an open door and immediately went after her child. It would be crazy to tell parents that they are bad parents for daring to use the restroom when alone with a young child.
Sure, it is possible the parents let their child run around totally unsupervised for long stretches, were drinking, etc--but absent ANY indication this is what actually happened, throwing around accusations and adding more pain and hurt to an already grieving family strikes me as cruel.

No one censored, edited or deleted your words. You said your piece, and I said mine in reaction.
There is no evidence whatsoever to indicate that the parents were drinking or generally inattentive (the poor mother was out and seeing it happen when the child fell). For all any of us know, the mother went to the bathroom, came out to an open door and immediately went after her child. It would be crazy to tell parents that they are bad parents for daring to use the restroom when alone with a young child.
Sure, it is possible the parents let their child run around totally unsupervised for long stretches, were drinking, etc--but absent ANY indication this is what actually happened, throwing around accusations and adding more pain and hurt to an already grieving family strikes me as cruel.

When I try to read the post that has people shaking their heads I get an error, so I'm not sure what was said (or who said it), however, I agree with this post. I cannot imagine the grief and guilt that the mother (and other family members) are feeling.

When I try to read the post that has people shaking their heads I get an error, so I'm not sure what was said (or who said it), however, I agree with this post. I cannot imagine the grief and guilt that the mother (and other family members) are feeling.
It appears to have been removed. Ironic since the next post talks about their words being deleted. I wonder if something else had been deleted previously that I didn't even see to respond to?

Oh well.

At the end of the day, my heart still breaks for the family and I just wish them whatever tiny bits of peace and good memories they can get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter