• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

3 weeks and counting - advice?

Betsyp

DIS Veteran
I can't believe that my long-awaited trip to WDW is only 3 weeks away - I've been giddy since I booked the trip, lol. My basic itinerary is set - I've made a spreadsheet to organize myself, but I know (based on all my previous vacations) that I might deviate from it based on how I'm feeling at a particular moment. I don't want to plan everything, lol. So, I think I'm basically good, but I would love a critique of my plan - I certainly want to know if I'm making any real mistakes. Thanks in advance!

5/21 - arrival day. Plane touches down at 10:45. Assuming I'm at the CR by 12, I intend to either go to DTD first and then swim or swim and then DTD. I'm leaning towards the former. No parks at all that day - and this will be the only real shot I have at getting to DTD.

5/22 (Sunday) MK (first of 2 days): ARRIVE ROPE DROP. START IN FANTASYLAND, THEN LIBERTY SQUARE, FRONTIERLAND. ONCE I FINISH RIDES, GO ON FAVORITES AGAIN. TAKE BREAK FROM PARK AND GO BACK TO HOTEL FOR SWIM AROUND 2 OR 3 PM.

**Dinner ADR: Sanaa @ 6:50 pm. Afterwards, back to MK for evening EMH

5/23 (Monday) Epcot (first of 2 days): ARRIVE ROPE DROP. FUTURE WORLD. TAKE BREAK FROM PARK AND GO BACK TO HOTEL FOR SWIM AROUND 2 pm.

**Dinner ADR: Flying Fish @ 7:10 pm

5/24: (Tuesday) MK 2nd day: ARRIVE ROPE DROP. START IN TOMORROWLAND, THEN TO ADVENTURELAND. GO ON FAVORITE RIDES AGAIN AS MANY TIMES AS DESIRED. GO TO OTHER "LANDS" AND DO FAVORITE RIDES. **HAVE 2PM TEA TIME RESERVATION AT GRAND FLORIDAN.

**Dinner ADR: Bistro de Paris 7:30 pm

5/25 (Wednesday) Epcot 2nd day: SLEEP IN A BIT - DO SOARIN' AND TEST TRACK (FW) BEFORE GOING TO WORLD SHOWCASE. WORLD SHOWCASE: DO KIM POSSIBLE MISSIONS. CHECK ENTERTAINMENT SCHEDULES. TRY DIFFERENT SNACKS.

**Lunch ADR at San Angel Inn

**Dinner ADR: Jiko @ 7:15 pm

**Sorry for the caps, but I am copying and pasting from my spreadsheet.

5/26 Thursday (DHS):

ARRIVE ROPE DROP. RIDE TOY STORY MANIA AND GET FP FOR LATER . RIDE STAR TOURS. STREETS OF AMERICA, MUPPETS 3-D, LIGHTS/MOTORS/ACTION. STUDIO BACKLOT TOUR, GREAT MOVIE RIDE. WALT DISNEY: ONE MAN'S DREAM. LITTLE MERMAID/MAGIC OF ANIMATION (ANIMATION ACADEMY). AMERICAN IDOL. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. **FOR SHOWS, GET THE TIMES

Lunch ADR: Brown Derby 1:15pm
Dinner ADR: V&A 8:45 pm

** I think the itinerary above is pretty ambitious, but I figure that I will get a pretty good break at lunch. If I have to skip something, maybe it would be the backlot tour based on most reviews, but I'd like to see it for myself. Because my dinner reservation is so late, I can stay at the park until fairly late.

5/27 Friday (AK:

ARRIVE ROPE DROP. DO KILIMANJARO SAFARI (GET FP FOR LATER), THEN PANGANI TRAIL. FLIGHTS OF WONDER. KALI RIVER (OR GET FP FOR KALI). MAHARAHJAH JUNGLE TREK. EVEREST/SINGLE RIDER. LION KING SHOW. LUNCH. DINOSAUR. NEMO SHOW. TREE OF LIFE/BUGS

**I hate not to be able to take a break in the middle of the day except for lunch at Flame Tree, but I'm hoping seeing the shows late in the day will help.

**Dinner ADR: Bluezoo @ 7:30

**EPCOT has evening EMH that night, so I plan to head there right after dinner

5/28 (Saturday -departure day): My flight is 6 pm, so I will have some time in the parks before I go. I will stick to MK (maybe Epcot) so as to avoid doing extensive travelling.

Ok, so this is my basic plan - fire away. Thanks so much!!

Are there others travelling with you or is this a solo trip?

I have friends who will be there the same time as you.

Are there others travelling with you or is this a solo trip?

I have friends who will be there the same time as you.

Solo........ I hope the next time I go someone can go with me so I can share the magic with them, but I adore travelling solo as I only have to be responsible to me. How long are your friends going for?

looks like a good plan, some rest allowances and lots of room to be flexible. We are also going to be there and have MK on 5/22 and Epcot on 5/23.

I think your plan is a good one. My experience has been that whether you go at a busy time or a quieter time of year, if you can get to the park for rope drop you will accomplish a tremendous amount in the morning. One thing you may see as your vacation begins is that you may accomplish more in the morning than anticipated. Have a great trip!

We arrive on 5/22, and your plan sounds good!!! Only once on the 25th I believe that our touring plans cross.....which is our Epcot day! I'm taking family for the first time staying at THV and doing the QS dining plan! I can't wait!!

Small thought on AK -- if you went to EE first to get a fastpass, then go to Kilimanjaro, I would think your return time would have arrived by the time you got off Kilimanjaro for the first time, and you could pick up a second fastpass then.

looks like a good plan, some rest allowances and lots of room to be flexible. We are also going to be there and have MK on 5/22 and Epcot on 5/23.

If my itinerary looks good, it's really thanks to the great tips I've gotten here..(from the Unofficial Guide also, but mostly here). Maybe we'll bump into each other both days - wouldn't that be funny?

The only question I have is about the shows - do they have times posted at the entrance to the parks?

Thanks!

my family is arriving on the 21 too but we are going for SWW we are so excited I am freaking out now that it is getting so close

I was thinking of heading to DHS on the last Saturday just to see what SWW is about, but I'm not sure it's worth it., I love SW, but I'm not a freak about it and while it would be neat to see storm troopers parading about, I'd hate to waste valuable time just looking around while I could be saying goodbye to MK and/or Epcot.

I'm getting VERY antsy. The only thing that bothers me is that lately I've been a nervous flier- I hate that because I love to travel, but bad turbulence a few years ago has gotten me on edge when I fly. I wish I could just close my eyes and wish myself to Disney, lol.

What I've done to keep myself from going stir crazy about the trip is saved some Disney shows on my DVR (a Food Network Unwrapped show about Disney foods and Travel Channel's Best Places special about Disney). Watching them a few times keeps me engaged in my trip and not just feeling like "when is 5/21 going to get here already".

I think your plan is a good one. My experience has been that whether you go at a busy time or a quieter time of year, if you can get to the park for rope drop you will accomplish a tremendous amount in the morning. One thing you may see as your vacation begins is that you may accomplish more in the morning than anticipated. Have a great trip!

Bruce, one thing I've learned from this board is that rope drop is vital. I will have a quick breakfast in my room and get to the parks around 30 minutes early. I love the idea of getting to ride several of my favorites more than once before the mass crowds accumulate. That and allotting 2 days (and more, really, since I'm going to go to evening EMH Epcot on my last night and MK on my departure day) to MK/Epcot were my best decisions, I think.

I can not wait to ride Test Track -I've been wanting to try that out for years. I'm also psyched about getting to see the AK for the first time - it should be pretty special.

We arrive on 5/22, and your plan sounds good!!! Only once on the 25th I believe that our touring plans cross.....which is our Epcot day! I'm taking family for the first time staying at THV and doing the QS dining plan! I can't wait!!

"I can't wait" should be Disney's motto, lol, because that's all I've been saying for weeks, lol. How many vacation destinations get people this excited and almost riled up, lol? It's amazing. I've seen videos of parents surprising their kids with a trip to Disney and the kids basically freaked out - it was hilarious to see. Disney brings joy to so many people - I just finished watching the Walt Disney Man behind the Myth special and now I think I appreciate the place more. The special exhibit they have at DHS on Walt is one of the things I'm looking forward to most.

Small thought on AK -- if you went to EE first to get a fastpass, then go to Kilimanjaro, I would think your return time would have arrived by the time you got off Kilimanjaro for the first time, and you could pick up a second fastpass then.

I could do that for Everest if I want to see that the special details that I'd miss using single rider; thanks for the tip!......Planning my AK day was the hardest because I've never been there - I wrestled with my plan for days, lol.

That part is pretty good, about Walt. We go quite a bit, but the family we're taking has never been. Rope drop is vital!!! Your plan looks good, and an afternoon break sounds good too. We're gonna TRY that, but if we don't make it, that's fine. We're doing the QSDP, so we have flexability to do what we want, when we want. If they like a specific park, sure.....we'll stay. If not, let's go swim LOL

They have a sheet with the park maps with times on them for all the shows, but it's usually for that park only. So you can't go to epcot, and see what time the Lion King show is at AK, which is not to be missed by the way!!! LOL Not sure if I could go solo, I like going with a group, or just me and my son on an afternoon after school.

So, have fun, and just go with it. I'm not a flier either, which is why we live close to the parks!!! LOL

Friends of mine are there from the 20th to the 27th. I've been helping them plan so hopefully they will have a great trip too.

You are going to have a blast. My favourite trip (don't tell my family) was three days by myself several years ago.

That part is pretty good, about Walt. We go quite a bit, but the family we're taking has never been. Rope drop is vital!!! Your plan looks good, and an afternoon break sounds good too. We're gonna TRY that, but if we don't make it, that's fine. We're doing the QSDP, so we have flexability to do what we want, when we want. If they like a specific park, sure.....we'll stay. If not, let's go swim LOL

They have a sheet with the park maps with times on them for all the shows, but it's usually for that park only. So you can't go to epcot, and see what time the Lion King show is at AK, which is not to be missed by the way!!! LOL Not sure if I could go solo, I like going with a group, or just me and my son on an afternoon after school.

So, have fun, and just go with it. I'm not a flier either, which is why we live close to the parks!!! LOL

LOL I never had a problem with flying until that incident - I have to fly as I love to travel. Well, it's only 2 1/2 hours from NY, so it won't be too bad.

Thanks re: the sheets. That's definitely good to know so that when I get to the park I can plan what show I want to be with.

I love travelling solo - I do it most of the time. In this case, I haven't been to WDW in so long that I just want and need to do it all by myself, lol.

Friends of mine are there from the 20th to the 27th. I've been helping them plan so hopefully they will have a great trip too.

You are going to have a blast. My favourite trip (don't tell my family) was three days by myself several years ago.

I've been to a lot of amazing, wonderful places - both in the states and in Europe - but nothing beats WDW for pure, unadulterated fun.

LOL, it's like you stole a copy of our touring plan for the first three days! We are flying in on the 21st too. And we are doing the EXACT same sections of MK on Sunday that you are (except the ADRs). Maybe we'll run into each other!

So, in answer to your question, since it's what we'll be doing too, your touring plan looks great to me!

We plan to check out SWW on Friday, our last touring day before flying home on Saturday. We are doing HS on either Tuesday or Wednesday and hope to get Star Tours out of the way then, along with whatever else we want to do. Friday, our one expectation is the storm trooper parade. After that, depending on crowds and how much we're enjoying ourselves, we'll either stay and play, or park hop to whatever park we want to visit again. We have old, 1 day park-hopper tickets, so that's the only day we're park hopping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter