3 times today, people ahead of me, no cash, debit card declined

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
At the Grocery store and gas station. Grocery store was at least quick. Both gas station incidents were where people took FOREVER to pick out a brand of cigarette, then take out their wallet, realize they have no cash, then try multiple debit cards, all declined.

there goes another 10 minutes of your life you'll never get back :rolleyes:

A lot of banks are re-issuing debit cards because of the Target breech. A lot of banks were taking the "wait and see" approach at first, but I know that a lot set a time frame to re-issue either last week and this week and are sending the debit cards either to the banks directly or through the mail to the consumer. So if some people didn't pick up their card, didn't receive the mail with the card or didn't check their mail, it is possible their old debit cards have been de-activated and the new ones are sitting somewhere waiting to picked up by the owner.

sookie said:
A lot of banks are re-issuing debit cards because of the Target breech. A lot of banks were taking the "wait and see" approach at first, but I know that a lot set a time frame to re-issue either last week and this week and are sending the debit cards either to the banks directly or through the mail to the consumer. So if some people didn't pick up their card, didn't receive the mail with the card or didn't check their mail, it is possible their old debit cards have been de-activated and the new ones are sitting somewhere waiting to picked up by the owner.

Yes. I was talking to a cousin today whose checking account was cleaned out by the Target scam and it happened late last week. So folks are still getting hit and dealing with the Target scam aftermath.

AKA there could be 100 reasons why cards are declined ..or don't work!
That said, sometimes people just have a tough go of it! And that's really unfortunate..tolerance is a good attribute!

:confused3

No kidding. I honestly cannot recall the last time I set foot in a gas station.

around here they are telling people that it is best to go inside. We are having a real problem with "card readers" being installed at gas pumps. People are getting ripped off. It happened to us 2 times 3 years ago. I refuse to pay at the pump now.

Some banks have also placed limits on how much can be purchased in one day if your card was compromised in the breach. I know Chase put a $100 limit on ATM transactions and a total $300 limit per day on debit cards that had been compromised until new ones could be issued. If you are needing to make a big purchase, that comes out to not that much.

Of course, chances are at least one person genuinely did not have the money in their account. But what does it matter to you, other than slowing you down? There but for the grace of God...

I had my HSA card declined at the doctor and at Walgreens Friday. There was plenty of money in the account. The bank reissued cards at the beginning of the year and many of them had damaged magnetic strips. Sometimes cards get declined through absolutely NO fault of the user. So don't judge. Instead, if you are in a place to help, do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter