• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

3 states, 3 weeks and 2000 miles in a Jeep - Day 22

Claire L

<font color=blue>Enjoys a good broadway show<br><f
Friday July 7th 2006

We were up by about 9am and set about packing straight away so that we could leave by 11am. This was achieved and we managed to get everything packed ok! It was then time to check out and query why the garlic bread from the other night had been added to our bill twice! Whilst I waited Nathan took a few pictures around the Bellagio lobby, including one of the cute miniatures Bellagio.

Bellagiolobby1.JPG

Bellagiolobbyfountain1.JPG

LittleBellagio1.JPG

Once at the check out desk the assistant said it would take a while to get through to the room service department and as we were due to catch a flight soon the assistant waived one of the internet connection fees :thumb: Soon we were off and within about 15 minutes we had got to the Dollar drop off which although close to the airport it was not onsite :( The queues were quite long and the bus transfer did not have a lot of room for luggage but we got on ok and were off to the terminal. As soon as we got to the terminal we headed for check in and were pleased to see a separate line for PE which was empty. Our pre booked seats 80H and 80K, right at the back of the upper deck, were waiting for us and then it was off to the departure lounge which was only 4 gates! I was surprised at how small it was with just a duty free shop, newsagents and a couple of fast food outlets. Even though I flew from Las Vegas in 1995 it was an internal flight to San Francisco and is a little bit hazy now! So there was no chance of finding any Crocs.

LASdeparturelounge1.JPG

As we had not had brekkie we grabbed a burger in Burger King which was ok but not great. It was then time to sit and wait, luckily the departure lounge faced the Strip.

LASinsideLAS1.JPG

LASinsideLAS2.JPG

I then noticed we had Jersey Girl as our ride home.

Jerseygirlour_ride.JPG

In the distance we could see storms on the mountains but once again they never got close. It was then time for duty free and we both got some of the miniature perfumes, ideal for taking a couple away on holiday, saves big bottles. The airport had Wifi so we logged on for a short while from the lappie but we weren’t on too long as the battery was running down rather quickly. Soon it was time to board the plane and we noticed it was quite busy. The airport itself must have a huge turn over of take off’s and landings which is evident due to the current construction work on a new terminal and the current queues for planes taking off.

LeavingLV1.JPG

LeavingLV2.JPG

Soon we were off and the view of the Strip as we left was wonderful.

LeavingLV3.JPG

LeavingLV4.JPG

LeavingLV5.JPG

We were soon over the far edge of Las Vegas and there was a lot of housing being built.

LeavingLV6.JPG

But then we approached the storm clouds just as the drinks service began and it got a bit bumpy so much so the seat belt sign came on and one of the Flight Attendants got caught unaware and the trolley smashed into his hand, luckily he wasn't too badly hurt.

VAdrinks1.JPG

It was then that we went over the desert.

LeavingLV7.JPG

LeavingLV8.JPG

And soon I could see Lake Mead with the distinctive high water mark.

LeavingLV9.JPG

Not too long after we had cleared the storms and we were heading over Utah and Salt Lake City.

LeavingLV10.JPG

Then it was onto Wyoming.

OverWyoming.JPG

By now it was time for dinner and I chose the chicken and tomato pasta, while Nathan declined the hot food and just ate a few pieces from the tray.

VAmeal1.JPG

The meal was usual airline food and I ate most of it washed down with a glass of white wine and a Baileys at the end :teeth: By now it was getting dark outside and as soon as dinner was cleared away the blinds were closed and the lighting turned down. I tried to sleep but couldn’t and soon there were a few of us in the cabin chatting to the crew, who also expressed how unusual it was for so many people to be restless and awake! Time passed and every now and then I looked out of the window to see what I could see, at one point it was just snow and the peak of a mountain.

OnlySnow.JPG

It never did get fully dark as we went so high over Canada and Greenland before catching the rising sun. About an hour and a half prior to landing the blinds were taken up and the lighting was turned up. Breakfast was then served, now this is not my favourite airline meal and I just had a few bites of the croissant and the fruit with a cup of tea.

VAbrekkie1.JPG

By now we were over Northern Ireland and then rapidly making out descent into Gatwick airport. We landed virtually on schedule and waited for a few moments before the bridge was out to the exit door. Once again we were quickly off the plane, about 6th and 7th I think! As we got to Immigration the halls were packed even for EU passport holders, it took a few minutes and for once they checked each individual passport against the person producing it. We quickly made our way to baggage reclaim and luckily all our bags soon arrived safe and sound. As we left Customs we were soon met by DMIL and DSFIL and made our way straight home as we were rather tired by now.

The 3 weeks had been a great holiday with lots of fab scenery and being back in our favourite city of San Francisco was a nice way to start the holiday. A lot of driving had been done, in fact the speedo read 2007 miles but then we needed to add on about 10 as we didn’t reset immediately upon leaving San Francisco airport when we arrived. We wil definitely be back maybe in a few years time for skiing in Lake Tahoe.

Claire ;)

Thanks for a great trip report Claire. Depending upon how our "mini road-trip" goes next year I might look at doing something similar in future.

Fantastic reports Claire :thumbsup2 ive really enjoyed all your pictures x x

Thank you, there is one last report to come showing us there, to prove we actually did do it! :lmao: But as the scenery was so great didn't want to detract from it with pictures of us in the main reports.

Claire ;)

Thanks for a great trip report Claire. Depending upon how our "mini road-trip" goes next year I might look at doing something similar in future.

Would love to hear about your 'mini road trip' once you have been, as it is an area I have never been to :)

Claire ;)

Thank you, there is one last report to come showing us there, to prove we actually did do it! :lmao: But as the scenery was so great didn't want to detract from it with pictures of us in the main reports.

Claire ;)

:lmao: yes after all that i suppose it would be nice to see you "there"

None of those superimposed Grand Canyon shots mind ;)

Claire,
I've enjoyed the journey. You've allowed me to see my own country through your eyes and the lens of your ever ready camera. Thanks for your beautifully detailed report.

Thank you for sharing your fantastic holiday with us! It brought back some very happy memories of our 3 week, 2000 miles and 3 state holiday in May of this year! We had planned on doing a trip report but have still not got round to it!
We also love San Francisco and can't decide whether to go back next year and incorporate it with places we have yet to see or to do another area of the States!

Thanks for sharing and writing an excellent trip report Claire. It has made me realise how much I want to go back to Vegas and also how desperate I am to go to San Fransisco.

Although I have been to the US many times I have never driven over there......however this will change in December as we have hired a car for WDW. I hope I feel confident driving as we both really want to do a road trip in the future, even more so after reading you TR. :thumbsup2

Looking forward to seeing your other pics. :goodvibes

A fantastic report. I have really enjoyed reading about it & looking at the awesome photos:goodvibes

Thanks for your great trip report. the photos out of the plane on your journey home were brilliant. I always have my eyes shut grabbing hold of the seat arms at that stage, so it is nice to see what I am missing!

Susan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter