3 nights Dream and 7 nights WDW - too much?

stitch34

DIS Veteran
Are we crazy for attempting this? Usually do 7-8 night trips at WDW and is perfect amount of time for us there.
But, this November plan is arrive late to WDW (7:00 p.m -ish), have dinner and relax. Next day have all day at parks to get our park fix and fav restaurants fix. Then the following day leave for 3 nights on the Dream. After that, back to WDW for 5 (or 6, not sure yet) nights in WDW. Knowing us we'll be so excited to be back and excited to start hitting the parks.

But was thinking, doing WDW after the cruise, that the cruise would be relaxing so we'd be all ready to go hit the parks when we return. Am I wrong? Will we be worn out from the cruise? Total of trip will be 10 or 11 nights, and my concern is for us wondering if that's just too long to be away from home.

Still not sure how will get back and forth WDW to PC to WDW, whether Disney ground transfer, which seems easiest and not deal with luggage, but $$$.... or renting a car, definitely cheaper, but hate the thought of dealing with all our luggage (enough for a 10-11 night trip, so for us would be 6 pieces for family of 4, plus son's special needs stroller) - makes me think the ground transfer would be easier - and not sure what size car need to rent to fit everything anyway. Have thought renting car perhaps for getting WDW to PC - and then doing Disney ground transfer on way back to WDW (plus then don't have to deal with getting rid of rental car once at WDW and don't need it).

So if any thoughts on transportation, would be appreciated.... and also, am I just doing too much between the parks and cruise? Initial thought was okay, going to WDW during this time and for that amount of time anyway... just basically am sticking on the cruise beforehand - instead of two separate trips which also means paying airfare for two trips. Made sense to me... but wondering if we're taking too much on? Oh, and yeah, we are crazy to begin with, LOL - our WDW trip last summer was 8 nights and a 5 resort split stay (it was summer, wanted to try out different deluxe resort pools!) Usually do 3 resorts split stay per trip, and park hopping like crazy. So just to give an idea of how we are used to traveling!

I don't think it's too much. But I would go with Disney ground transportation because of your amount of luggage. Although you can't beat the convenience of a rental car. You should check on rental car sites and see how much luggage each grade of car can hold and go from there. See how much it will cost to rent, fill it with gas a time or two, and park at the port. And 7 nights at WDW is perfect to be able to really see everything :)

Go for it. I would try to find a rental car just to have to get off property if needed or wanted. If you had the car you could use it to store your extra luggage so you did not have to lug it on the boat.

We did the same type thing last year.

However....since I can't go..go...go..at the pace I used to be able to, we did the parks first. Then enjoyed 4 days of peace and relaxation on the cruise.

Just my 2 cents ;)

We are doing the same thing in April..We are doing the parks for 6 days after the cruise. We are renting a car though because we are spending the day before the cruise in Cocoa Beach with our friends that live there and also will spend a day at Universal..WWOHP..

In November 2009, we did a three night cruise, went to sea world and discovery cove and then another three nights at WDW. We called it the, "hey lets go on a disney cruise, oh and there is this really cool place called Discovery Cove and we can't be that close to WDW and not go" vacation! :rotfl:

We did the parks after the cruise one time out of seven and will never do that again. We were so worn out after the last day on the ship that we were tired and dragging...so were the kids. Now we only stay at WDW before the cruise...when I still have the energy. Also, after the ship I don't feel like having to deal with the crowds & lines at the park.

If you have to do it that way with the schedule I would plan a down day with nothing planned the day you get off the ship. With reports of debarkation taking longer than usual on the Dream you won't have to worry about when you get out of there. After the EBPC we were going to go to Sea World after getting off the ship. There were delays until after 9:30, we got off the ship around 10 and we didn't get in the rental car until 10:30 or so when DH came back to pick us up at the terminal. On our way to FL both kids {8 & 10} fell asleep in the back seat and I was fighting to stay awake. We ended up driving straight to the hotel, checking in early and taking naps. We went to DTD for dinner then caught our flight the next morning.

We have done one three day cruise...was on the Wonder & our 6th so we knew the layout, the routine and all that so thought we would be able to relax and enjoy it. Not so much. We felt like we were having to cram everything into the three days and without a sea day there was no time to relax. The last day on the ship is always busy with CC, packing, getting to the show, Til We Meet Again, saying goodbye to everyone and you don't get to bed until late. Of course there is breakfast at 6:30 if you have early seating so I have never been able to sleep well that last night.

I don't think 10-11 days is too long of a trip but I would look at trying to do the parks before the cruise if possible. That would also cut down on a couple hours of driving time for you and with kids I try to keep that time to a minimum.

I would schedule as much time on the ship as possible. If you have to do the parks then do them first. We've done the parks after returning from the cruise and after 7 days of top-notch service, no lines, etc. you'll want to shoot yourself or someone else after an hour in the parks. Kids haven't asked to go back to the parks in years.

We have been to WDW several times over the years and always do 2 weeks so we can relax and take our time.

This past January we did 11 nights at WDW and then the Disney Dream Maiden Voyage 4 night cruise. It was great.

We have never gone back to the parks after a cruise though. If we did, we would probably schedule some "resort time" to just hang, shop, and swim.

Quick question: "Is there such a thing as spending too much time at Disney" ?:laughing:

If it works for your schedule, I'd do all your nights at WDW first and then do the cruise to relax and unwind afterwards. The parks are so fun but they can be tiring. I would just worry that i'd spend the cruise time relaxing and then be tired out after doing WDW after. Then need a vacation from my vacation. Just my opinion ...

We are doing a similar thing this month. We are going for 2 days, then a 4 night cruise then 4 nights back in Orlando.

I found that renting a car for the whole stay---we are going to take a drive to Busch Gardens too----was less expensive that the DCL transfers to orlando. The transfers, round trip, I think at $69 (?) per person, there are 5 of us so about $350. I got a rental car for the 10 days for $220. That way also I will probably leave some luggage in the car parked at the terminal.

We did this during Christmas and HATED the parks portion of our trip.

After the cruise, it was just too stressful to get to all the rides and ADRs. My suggestion would be to put the parks portion first and do the cruise last. I saw that suggestion on the boards before I went and thought nothing of it...now I wish I did it backwards. When we discuss our trip, we don't even mention the 3 days in the parks after the cruise :rotfl: Think we're pretending like it never even happened :lmao:

Three out of my four cruises from Port Canaveral have been sandwiched between stays at WDW, and I like it that way. For my Dream cruise at the end of the month, my friend and I will go to Universal for 2 days pre-cruise, 4-night Dream cruise, then 6 nights at WDW post-cruise. I prefer WDW over the cruise, and it gives me something more to look forward to.

We almost always plan for 10 day vacations. We've found that to be a really good amount of time. One week goes sooo fast you're just bummed to see it end so soon (regardless of where you go). We really haven't done longer than that yet but are doing 15 nights this summer for the Med / Europe so I am now wondering if we'll be homesick by the time we're done...but 10 days is perfect IMO. Oh, and a 3 night cruise is not worth it to us. Tooooo short. Not enough time to settle in & enjoy yourself. I wouldn't book another cruise for less than 4 nights...and I would do the parks first.

Thanks guys. I think my big worry now about planning the bulk of our park time after the cruise, is what if after get off the boat I feel lousy? I am very prone to motion sickness, and do admit am quite concerned about being seasick. Would hate to end up sick, or the kids sick, and then get off and have this fantastic WDW trip planned (thanksgiving time, our FAVORITE time with all the holiday stuff) - and then not feeling up for any of it. Have read that seasickness can last for days after getting off the boat while you adjust to being back on land - ugh, I can't imagine that. We'll have a very crammed schedule with so many must dos and ADRs when we get back - would hate to have that ruined because I feel lousy and not up to it.

But I get car sick, and get motion sick on so many rides - Soarin', Dumbo. Would not dare venture onto TeaCups! So yeah, now am concerned if don't do well on the cruise and come back feeling lousy - or have a kid not feeling well, there goes our much anticipated WDW trip down the drain.

Seems Disney transportation is the best way for us to go - but oh, the cost! Would prefer the rental car, and am thinking would allow us on way back to WDW to stop and get a bite to eat before checking into resort.

Thanks guys. I think my big worry now about planning the bulk of our park time after the cruise, is what if after get off the boat I feel lousy? I am very prone to motion sickness, and do admit am quite concerned about being seasick. Would hate to end up sick, or the kids sick, and then get off and have this fantastic WDW trip planned (thanksgiving time, our FAVORITE time with all the holiday stuff) - and then not feeling up for any of it. Have read that seasickness can last for days after getting off the boat while you adjust to being back on land - ugh, I can't imagine that. We'll have a very crammed schedule with so many must dos and ADRs when we get back - would hate to have that ruined because I feel lousy and not up to it.

I take medication for motion sickness daily on the ship - whether or not the seas are rough. IF I feel ill when off the ship, I continue to take the same meds for a few more days. Since you'll be going on rides at WDW, taking meds for motion sickness would not be out of the ordinary - even without having first gone on a cruise.

We just got back from 5 nights at the parks and 3 nights on the Dream. Everyone says that the cruise is more relaxing. I did not really think so. The parks had a very low crowd level so we were able to see everything we wanted and partake in character visits all in one day or less per park. It was really very stress free, no long lines, just fun! The cruise was our first ever and we wanted to try not to miss everything. I found there was not much downtime because of this. We were constantly running from one activity to the next, stressing about being able to get dressed and make it to the show and dinner on time etc ... Don't get me wrong the cruise was great and we had fun, it was just stressful. I think it will be better the next time we cruise when we can relax a bit because we have done it before. Maybe if we had 4 or more days on the cruise we could have relaxed a bit more and not worried so much.

To the person who did the parks @ Christmas - no wonder it was so stressful !! Crowd levels of 9-10 every single day that time of year. We did christmas at WDW once - and it almost turned me off to disney entirely. If you can go off season it really is not stressful at all.

As for transport. We rented a mini-van through National and it was less then $200 for Sat-Sun. We did pay the $45 to park at the cruise terminal as well. I liked having my own transport while at the parks. It gave the option of one person easily taking the baby home if he had a melt down or needed a nap - and the rest of us could bus it home when ready etc... I also HIGHLY reccomend a villa if you can swing it. If you rent points from a DVC member you can usually get a cheaper rate. It was just nice to cook some of our own meals and have seperate spaces for us to go to when we needed a break.

Good Luck in your decisions - and let me know if you have any specific questions since we just did something like this :)

A 3 day cruise was stressful for my family even after having been on 4 7 night & 1 15 night cruise...and we knew our way around. I can't imagine having it be the first cruise.

I start taking Bonine a day before we board the ship so it is in my system. I have only felt slightly nauseous when we have been in 15+ foot seas and a glass of gingerale has helped get rid of that feeling. {You can request that in the dining room.} I continue taking it for 3-4 days after getting off the ship. The one time I didn't I experienced the swaying some post about as you get your land legs back. Continuing on the Bonine eliminates that transitional feeling for me.

Last October, we spent 6 nights at WDW and then did a 3 day cruise. We hit the parks pretty hard (although not as hard as our first trip 2 years before). The cruise was great. We were able to relax and catch up on much needed rest which then allowed us to enjoy all the other activities. For us, I don't think cruising first would allow us to relax much as we are always so amped up at the beginning of a vacation which makes going to WDW first the best choice for us.

In June 2012, we are doing the same thing, only switching the dates around. Going to WDW for 4 nights and then a 7 day cruise. Looking forward to more time on the ship this time!

It's cheaper to hire a limo than to use the Disney transportation to PC and back. That's what we did. Kids loved it! The driver even stopped at the grocery store for me.
I think you are doing too many days at WDW and not enough on the Cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter