• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

3 most famous people

lots of famous people from my state, but not city

ron howard
garth brooks
brad pitt

are probably the most famous, but many greats....

Lots of famous people from my city, Dublin Ireland

Bram Stoker - author of Dracula
Jonathan Swift - author of Guillivers Travels
All member of U2
Colin Farrell

Folks I can think of offhand (don't know which 3 are most famous, def Babe Ruth):
Mike Rowe
Montel Williams
Toni Braxton
John Waters
David Hasselhoff
Michael Phelps
Babe Ruth

Also: Frank Zappa and Jada Pinkett Smith

ETA: Oh crap, forgot THE most famous in recent times: Freddie Gray

Last edited:

Portland Maine

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Joshua Chamberlain
Judd Nelson
Anna Kendrick
I don't know if he was born in Portland but Steven King is from Maine.
Liv Tyler grew up here.

No one. I came from a small town. Some semi-famous people have lived there at one time or another, but none have ever come from there.

You do realize more cities and towns don't have hospitals than do, right? That not all hospitals had have maternity wards? And that by "born in" low-key means lived in from the time they came home from the hospital?

I do realize all those things, but "born in" would seem to be pretty straightforward as to meaning. However, different people have a different meaning for "hometown". What I consider my hometown, my family didn't move to until I was one year old.

Ben Affleck was born in California but thinks of Cambridge, MA as his hometown. I'm just saying the place of birth or even the first home isn't always a hometown.

Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Manganiello
Michael Keaton
Gene Kelly

There's several others from here, but those are (I think) the most well-known.

Muncie, IN

We've had several pro athletes born here, but none were super stars. Most played in the NBA or NFL. My wife had three in her graduating class that played pro sports. Two went to the NBA and one to the NFL. Currently Ryan Kerrigan plays for the Washington Redskins.

Three famous people (among many) born in Philadelphia.

Bradley Cooper
Joan Jett
Will Smith

I live in Guelph, Ontario, now, and I think of John McCrae (author of In Flanders Fields) and Robert Munsch (author of many children's books). Also children's author Jean Little.

Washington, Missouri

Jack Wagner (Melrose Place)
Carrie Shayne (not her real name, BTW - some soap opera)
Sgt Rocky Sickmann - guest of Iran for 444 days. Only one that got back to the states with his journal.

actually born in is tough, many who grew up there were were actually born at a hospital in Evergreen Park (Little Co. of Mary)
Tim Byrdak (Mets Pitcher)

I grew up in Oak Lawn, IL...the top 3/ most recognizableI guess I would say are:

Kevin Cronin~ REO Speedwagon (born in Evanston, IL)
Pat Sajak~ Wheel of Fortune
Kanye West~ himself :rolleyes2

currently living in Naperville IL (almost 27 years) top 3 here would be:
Dick Locher ~ Artist of Dick Tracy
Bob Odenkirk~ actor (Breaking Bad, Saul Goodman)
Evan Lysacek~ Olympic Gold Medalist

and adding in Sean Payton, head coach of the N.O. Saints~ several pro athletes from here to I guess. Does the Bachelorette count? There have been contestants from here on there lol

Winnipeg, Manitoba

Terry Fox- born here but grew up elaewhere
Louis Riel- founded Manitoba, Metis leader hung for treason
Fred Penner- children's entertainer
Soooo many hockey players

Also

Monty Hall-Let's Make a Deal
Anna Paquin- Actress
Sir William Stephenson- Spy James Bond was based on

I do realize all those things, but "born in" would seem to be pretty straightforward as to meaning. However, different people have a different meaning for "hometown". What I consider my hometown, my family didn't move to until I was one year old.

Ben Affleck was born in California but thinks of Cambridge, MA as his hometown. I'm just saying the place of birth or even the first home isn't always a hometown.
Well, I'm more confused than ever. My "hometown" (the town I grew up in) Mill Valley, CA. No one was born there (much too small) but there were a few notables from there - Eve Arden; Mariel Hemingway; Jonah Hill.

Current "hometown" (where I was married and raised my children) larger city in Southern CA. Still no one born there (no hospital) But many notables from there. Among them: Ruby Keeler; Gaddi Vasquez; Bert Blyleven.

Last edited:
As a tween I moved to Cherry Hill, NJ. Some famous people from there.
Muhammad Ali lived there for a while in the 1970s, same time as me. I knew where his house was.
Orel Hershiser, former LA Dodgers pitcher. Went to the same high school as me, but I didn't know him. He was a senior when I was a freshman.
Andrea Dworkin, feminist author and activist lived in Cherry Hill as a young adult.

After college I moved to near Wilmington, Delaware. A few famous people.
Valerie Bertinelli, actress
George Thorogood, singer and musician
Andrew and Elisabeth Shue, actors and siblings

My hometown was Cleveland Ohio... Now living in Massillon/Canton Ohio... It's most famous residents (not born here) were Paul Brown, President William McKinley (buried here) and Thurman Munson (Yankee great and buried in Canton.) This area is also home of the Pro Football HOF and where the game of football originated.

But to my hometown, Cleveland Ohio there are many born there, but here are a few.

James Lovell Jr. (Astronaut)
Halle Berry (Actress)
Wes Craven (Horror film producer, writer and director)
Jim Backus (Actor- Gilligan's Island & Mr. Magoo)
Drew Carey (Actor & Price is Right)
John D Rockefeller Jr. (Only son to John D. Rockefeller)
Dorothy Dandridge (Singer & Actor- First African-American woman to be nominated for Academy Award for Best Actress)
Paul Newman (Actor... One of the undisputed all time greats in cinema history)
Dr. Oz (Heart Surgeon & own television show)
Don King (Convicted murderer and later Boxing Promoter)
John Heisman (Collegiate coach responsible for legalizing the forward pass and introducing the centre snap and hike count... The Heisman Trophy is named after him)

Bob Hope... (One of the greatest all time actors, comedians and good will ambassador's in the history of the entertainment industry) I know, he was born in England. However, he immigrated to Cleveland at age 4, grew up in Cleveland, had ownership in the Cleveland Indians, always called Cleveland his home, was fiercely loyal to the city and the Indians and made many, many visits back to the city of Cleveland including his last trip at the age of 93 in 1996 to celebrate the city's bicentennial.

I know the OP only asked for three, sorry to be long, but in spite of all the Cleveland jokes over the years and the pathetic football team calling themselves the Cleveland Browns, I'm very proud of where I came from. :goodvibes

I am also from Akron...Here's another one:

Melina Kanakaredes - actress - starred in Providence and CSI NY

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter