3 Generations Wandering the Wilderness from "Cabin" Camping to Club Level-FW & WL

Day 2
Downtown Disney & House of Blues
Part 1

After a day of relaxing at the pool (if that’s what you want to call it), we were ready to head to DTD for dinner! We’ve never traveled by bus to DTD (always drive) because you hear nightmare stories about the travel time. :rolleyes: Well, we decided to brave it and take the plunge.

Everyone was eagerly anticipating the long ride. Contrary to what it might look like, we were happy ::yes::

Before long, the bus arrived – I don’t think we waited more than 10 minutes.

We had plenty of time before dinner, so we exited the bus on the first stop…opposite end of where we needed to be :upsidedow That means a long walk awaits us...

The flowers are always in bloom at Disney!

The kids wanted to do a little shopping since their money was burning holes in their pockets!

First stop…Disney Pin Traders! We met this super nice gentleman, I think from California, that had a wealth of pins and tons of “pin” knowledge! The kids had a great time chatting with him and trading.

This will be the first of my “construction” pictures on this trip. :rolleyes: Lots more where this one came from. Disney seemed to be doing an excessive amount of work. Not complaining, though – it has to be done. But still a lot.

We had a very long walk to the House of Blues, and because we were so hungry, it seemed like an eternity to get there! Mom and dad have eaten at this restaurant, but it was a first for the rest of the gang. Per Pop’s request, we had to have dinner there.

We’re almost there! This is their “gift” shop.

I already liked this place! The décor is fabulous!! ::yes::

We decided to see if they would take us early. The check-in line was long and moved REALLY slow.

No big deal…we had nothing but time to kill.

We sat outside and enjoyed a beverage while waiting patiently.

Continued to next post…

Continued from previous post…

Day 2
Downtown Disney & House of Blues
Part 2

Finally – we were called! The inside of the restaurant is just as cool as the outside! :woohoo:

This was way awesome! Check out the shoes around the door and the ceiling! LOVE IT!

So far, so good! And great table location!

Did I mention how hungry we were??!! I was starving! Thank goodness Ma Hopie always helps to occupy Jesse’s time while we wait on the food. By this point he had already been taken to the restroom for an attitude adjustment :sad2: He's exhausting sometimes!

Appetizer Time!!

Fish Tacos - simply the best I’ve ever had!!! Seriously!!!

VooDoo Shrimp – another OUTSTANDING appetizer!!!

Entrées

Jesse actually had one of the slider appetizers for his meal. And again, very tasty!

Stephen ventured out and tried the Jambalaya. This was OMG good!!! Spicy but great!! He was so excited to be ordering off of the adult menu. So long to days of the kid’s menu! :wave2:

I had Shrimp and Grits! What good Southern girl doesn’t like her grits??! ;) Again, spicy but FABULOUS!!!

Dessert

Really??! Dessert! :rotfl: I couldn’t put another bite of food in my mouth!!!

Whether you’re a picky eater or more adventurous, this is a must try restaurant for all!! We’ll be back for sure!

On our trek back, we stopped along the way to enjoy the sights and scenery.

The shop windows were simply precious! Faith just stood there and stared at Belle.

We had to stop by one of the stores and pick up Jesse’s toy. This is something he had to have….but bought with his own money. Then it was time to head back to the cabin. Believe it or not, I was tired.

Up next...Day 3 with lots and lots pictures :rolleyes1 :laughing:

Hey I am joining you! May fort wilderness looks so much fun! I wanted to stay there since I read your last report but nobody else wants to stay in the cabin with me! I do not see why, It so much bigger than the hotel rooms:confused3

10 minutes is pretty good for the bus. I never have that luck going to DTD. Last time, we waited over 30 minutes for bus back to the YC. :eek:

Can you believe even as Disney CP, I have never been to HOB. It was like the hot spot for Disney college program kids after Pleasure island closed. The food looks so good and I am loving those fish tacos!

Looks like a fun evening at DTD! We have yet to try House of Blues, maybe next trip! :). Looking forward to more updates!!

Dinner looks scrumptious! I'll have to look at the menu again and see if there's any veggie options for mom.

Glad the bus ride wasn't as long as feared!

I like I wanted to post something and I forgot what it was :rotfl: So I'll start here....I am so non-adventurous when it come to food. Not for me but my picky DH and kids..House of Blues looked YUMMY, I love DTD time!!! Great update! We love all the stores, making Potato heads and the LEGO store are must-dos. :cool1: What is so awesome about the Disney resorts is all you can do without even going to the parks!!

Several years ago a friend from San Pedro Sula, Honduras, told us about The House of Blues. Se we gave it a try - now it is a "must do" for MaHopie and I. Fish Tacos are one of the best medleys of flavors that have ever passed over my tounge. Simply outstanding! !! every dish we have had there has been outstanding. Now I know this only our opinion and your taste may be different but we like it and reccomend it - highly.

WOW!! I totally want to try House of Blues now. And DH loves Jambalaya!:worship: And I am so glad my kids aren;t the only cuties to be taken to the bathroom for attitude adjustments!:rotfl:

Several years ago a friend from San Pedro Sula, Honduras, told us about The House of Blues. Se we gave it a try - now it is a "must do" for MaHopie and I. Fish Tacos are one of the best medleys of flavors that have ever passed over my tounge. Simply outstanding! !! every dish we have had there has been outstanding. Now I know this only our opinion and your taste may be different but we like it and reccomend it - highly.

:thumbsup2 That is great to hear. My DS13 and I are the ones who would LOVE the food!:goodvibes

WOW!! I totally want to try House of Blues now. And DH loves Jambalaya!:worship: And I am so glad my kids aren;t the only cuties to be taken to the bathroom for attitude adjustments!:rotfl:

Of course not!! Why do you think we avoid TS :faint:

Hey I am joining you! May fort wilderness looks so much fun! I wanted to stay there since I read your last report but nobody else wants to stay in the cabin with me! I do not see why, It so much bigger than the hotel rooms

:wave2: So glad to have another Georgia girl here :thumbsup2

WHAT??! :scared1: :confused3 They don't want to give it a try??!! I'm totally kidding. It's certainly not for everyone...especially if you don't like the "woods". Lots of people that go on vacation want to feel like they're in a real resort...ya know the hotel rooms, etc. So I get that ::yes:: Maybe one day they'll give in to your request;)

10 minutes is pretty good for the bus. I never have that luck going to DTD. Last time, we waited over 30 minutes for bus back to the YC. :eek:

:eek: Too long! Those are the stories I'm talking about! Not fun.

Can you believe even as Disney CP, I have never been to HOB. It was like the hot spot for Disney college program kids after Pleasure island closed. The food looks so good and I am loving those fish tacos!

I still think it's soooo cool that you did the college program. I'm hoping one of mine might be interested in that when the time comes!

Looks like a fun evening at DTD! We have yet to try House of Blues, maybe next trip! :). Looking forward to more updates!!

It's kind of out of the way, especially if you aren't planning a DTD day or evening. But...well worth a visit!:thumbsup2

Dinner looks scrumptious! I'll have to look at the menu again and see if there's any veggie options for mom.

Glad the bus ride wasn't as long as feared!

:scratchin I have no idea about the other options. Mom and dad basically told me what was good and that's what I tried :laughing: Didn't really look at the menu in depth.

I like I wanted to post something and I forgot what it was :rotfl:

That's called, you have too much going on....SLOW DOWN!! :laughing:

So I'll start here....I am so non-adventurous when it come to food. Not for me but my picky DH and kids..House of Blues looked YUMMY, I love DTD time!!! Great update! We love all the stores, making Potato heads and the LEGO store are must-dos. :cool1: What is so awesome about the Disney resorts is all you can do without even going to the parks!!

They do have burgers ::yes:: ;)

Not sure how you keep up with 5 kids at DTD!! I have trouble with 3! In the stores, out the stores, in again...where's Jesse?? :faint: It exhaust me thinking about it :laughing:

:wave: Glad y'all recommended this one!!!!!

WOW!! I totally want to try House of Blues now. And DH loves Jambalaya!:worship: And I am so glad my kids aren;t the only cuties to be taken to the bathroom for attitude adjustments!

:rotfl: Always fun, isn't it?! Never a dull moment!

Of course not!! Why do you think we avoid TS :faint:

:lmao: I'm sure they aren't as crazy as you think. One big happy smiling family :teeth: Your kids are precious, Pas!

Day 3
Early Morning Pics

And

A River Country Rant :offtopic:
Part 1

On day 3, I was flying solo. I left everyone in the bed, including dad. I had a very specific agenda on this very early morning…. sneak some pictures of the old River Country! ::yes:: Yesterday morning I was a little late getting over there. When I arrived, there were several men already cutting grass. Thought it would have been a little awkward trying to nonchalantly snap pictures through a very tall fence that is obviously there to keep people out. ;)

Anyway…on we go to the lake!

I actually had to wait around 10- 15 minutes for the sun to rise. The pictures were just too dark (told ya I was early :thumbsup2)

Yes, I know…lots of lake pictures. Ya just never know when you’re going to get that perfect shot. Believe it or not, I deleted tons!!

There wasn’t a soul around…honest to goodness. It was like I had the entire place all to myself. My choice of parking spots...:rolleyes1

Now it was time to head over to the remnants of River Country.

Continued to next post…

Continued from previous post...

Day 3
Early Morning Pics

And

My River Country Rant :offtopic:

Part 2

On my way over, I noticed a few people making their way out to start work.

The old River Country isn’t hard to find if you know where to look. Just head over to Mickey’s Backyard BBQ and it’s right there for all to see behind a huge green fence. You’ll have to walk into the area where you line up for the BBQ. It’s never roped off, so it wasn’t like I was trespassing or anything :rolleyes: seriously...

The first thing you’ll spot over to the right is the roof top of one of the dilapidated buildings.

Then as you move towards the back, you’ll see the big rock.

What once was fun for all ages ….

…has now been left to rot away.

Even though I’m one of Disney’s biggest fans – and usually defend them to the nth degree- I have a very difficult time understanding this. As a kid, we made great memories here, like so many other families!

(and this would be me! :teeth:)

And now Disney is just allowing River Country to waste away. Now please understand… I realize that bringing it back is out of the question. Too many issues with the lake water…Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon now exist. But for heaven sakes, tear it down and get rid of the eye sore! :sad2:

Mom and I ran into a very nice cast member one morning, and we were discussing the whole River Country situation. He said at one point when Disney talked about building a DVC at the Fort, it was going to be torn down in order to have room for the new resort. Since that’s been put on hold, there has been no further mention of getting rid of RC. He also stated that he doesn’t understand either, and doesn’t understand why Disney allows it to literally waste away for all to see.

Call me peculiar and too sentimental, but the whole thing makes me very sad. It’s one of those things that irritates me to no end, but at the same time is intriguing...in a weird way.

Some of you have seen this link to my Old River County post, but for those who haven’t, here it is. Very old pics of the family enjoying some Florida Sunshine at RC! :teeth:

River Country 1983

Ok…enough of my ranting about things of the past! Back to the positives of Disney!!! ::yes::

It was time to head back to the cabin :moped:…I’m sure they were awake by now… or at least I hoped.

Always nature to see at the Fort!

Up next a few pool pics then pictures of the monorail resorts...including the Poly construction ;)

I loved seeing the old pictures, thanks so much for that link! I'm so glad your folks took pictures of that trip, what fabulous memories!!!!

Now this is very un-Disney to leave the place crumbling to ruins. Maybe it would be a huge expense to tear down? I had no idea River Country even existed.

You got some beautiful pictures of the morning :)

I have a pic of our oldest daughter coming off that rock slide! :sad1: The treatment of this area is so unlike Disney. I don't get it either. Pretty morning though ...

Continued from previous post... Day 3 Early Morning Pics And My River Country Rant :offtopic: Part 2 On my way over, I noticed a few people making their way out to start work. http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hs...3/Early Morning/DSC_0035_zps75084515.jpg.html http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hs...3/Early Morning/DSC_0029_zps2a313a91.jpg.html The old River Country isn’t hard to find if you know where to look. Just head over to Mickey’s Backyard BBQ and it’s right there for all to see behind a huge green fence. You’ll have to walk into the area where you line up for the BBQ. It’s never roped off, so it wasn’t like I was trespassing or anything :rolleyes: seriously... The first thing you’ll spot over to the right is the roof top of one of the dilapidated buildings. http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hs...3/Early Morning/DSC_0031_zps2554f636.jpg.html Then as you move towards the back, you’ll see the big rock. http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hs...3/Early Morning/DSC_0032_zpsb5d5ccf4.jpg.html What once was fun for all ages …. http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hstrick72/media/Old River Country/5.png.html …has now been left to rot away. http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hs...3/Early Morning/DSC_0033_zps13f5069f.jpg.html Even though I’m one of Disney’s biggest fans – and usually defend them to the nth degree- I have a very difficult time understanding this. As a kid, we made great memories here, like so many other families! (and this would be me! :teeth:) http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hstrick72/media/Old River Country/2.png.html And now Disney is just allowing River Country to waste away. Now please understand… I realize that bringing it back is out of the question. Too many issues with the lake water…Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon now exist. But for heaven sakes, tear it down and get rid of the eye sore! :sad2: http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hs... Morning/20140605_065330_zps33a182e8.jpg.html http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hs... Morning/20140605_065301_zps289049c5.jpg.html http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hs... Morning/20140605_065313_zps6d91572b.jpg.html Mom and I ran into a very nice cast member one morning, and we were discussing the whole River Country situation. He said at one point when Disney talked about building a DVC at the Fort, it was going to be torn down in order to have room for the new resort. Since that’s been put on hold, there has been no further mention of getting rid of RC. He also stated that he doesn’t understand either, and doesn’t understand why Disney allows it to literally waste away for all to see. http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hs...3/Early Morning/DSC_0034_zpsf693b37d.jpg.html http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hs... Morning/20140605_065614_zpse3608046.jpg.html http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hs... Morning/20140605_065425_zps731cb629.jpg.html Call me peculiar and too sentimental, but the whole thing makes me very sad. It’s one of those things that irritates me to no end, but at the same time is intriguing...in a weird way. Some of you have seen this link to my Old River County post, but for those who haven’t, here it is. Very old pics of the family enjoying some Florida Sunshine at RC! :teeth: River Country 1983 Ok…enough of my ranting about things of the past! Back to the positives of Disney!!! ::yes:: It was time to head back to the cabin :moped:…I’m sure they were awake by now… or at least I hoped. http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hs...3/Early Morning/DSC_0037_zpsb5e157f2.jpg.html Always nature to see at the Fort! http://s560.photobucket.com/user/hs...3/Early Morning/IMG_3909_zps387ef9f7.jpg.html Up next a few pool pics then pictures of the monorail resorts...including the Poly construction ;)

Love all the RC pictures! Are you able to see through the fencing our are you somehow looking over the fence? :)

Thanks for sharing those pictures of River Country Heather, it is very eery but intriguing. I loved that pic of you!! :upsidedow

Sounds like y'all had a great meal @ House of Blues. I've always heard good things about the food there.

It really is a travesty that Disney has allowed River Country to rot away like that. I'm with you - at least demolish it. :confused3

I had never heard of River Country until I got on the Dis. I am so curious as to why it has not been torn down. It is not like Disney to leave something in such a horrible state! Especially where it can be easily seen by guests! I'm sure Walt is shaking his head!

I am loving your trip report so far! Your pictures are great! I especially like the ones of the sunrise on the lake.:thumbsup2

Love the report! Looks like a really relaxing time with the family

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter