3 Families doin' a Surf & Turf Trip! AKL CL & Dream...Good-Byes

Hi Heather! I love all the detail in your report! I somehow got 10 pages behind but I am all caught up now! Sitting in the balcony of our condo with a cappuccino is a great way to catch up! :-)

I am anxious to try BC. We are going during F&W and I think the walk to Epcot will overshadow the lack of CS options. I hope so anyway! Our payment is due when we get home from this vacation (which is relatively cheap since mom and dad sprung for the condo :-D ).

My guess...the EP resort area will certainly overshadow the CS options:thumbsup2 Plus you have SAB! An awesome pool area!!! If we stay at BWV, it will be the same thing....not much to choose from in terms of quick service. Not a huge deal.

Hope yall had a great vacation!!!

I LOVE THE POLY!! I have always said the Poly feels very 1970s in a great way! It feels like a WDW original, which I LOVE. I just never realized the scent @ PR, until you mentioned it. But, now that you have mentioned it, I think that's part of it's appeal to me. :goodvibes It smells like waterfalls. I think it smells clean, fresh & pretty to me. I can't imagine someone not liking that. PR is my FAVORITE, dream resort!!!! I can't wait to one day be able to stay there.

You would be surprised at the people who don't like that smell....there are lots of Poly haters :laughing: And it is a super great resort, especially if you're a monorail/MK fan.....it's so Disney.

I know, I know!!! Ya probably thought I had fallen off the face of the earth....

I guess we shall wait for the weekends in hope of an update? Poor heather....back to work :worried:

Look!!! I posted before the weekend!! Can ya believe it???!! :teeth:

Sorry y'all didn't have the best meal at Boma! :sad2: But, like you said, at least you've tried it. I can definitely understand what you're saying about the ambiance of the restaurant & how it affects your meal. I would probably enjoy those desserts. Not too sure about the other offerings, though.

Phew...:faint: that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be! I am not looking forward to paying adult prices for our DD's when they are over 10. We may have to look at Disney Dining differently!:goodvibes Thanks for all the dessert pics....I may have to try them all too!!::yes::

I know, I know!!! Ya probably thought I had fallen off the face of the earth....

Nah, I knew you were in That Place which will go unspoken :rotfl:
Almost packed. 19 tops too much :confused3 I'm going to make an effort to downsize, really. :rolleyes: Still unable to pick which to leave home!! Sigh.
Haven't got to the shoes yet, hahaha.

Sorry y'all didn't have the best meal at Boma! :sad2: But, like you said, at least you've tried it. I can definitely understand what you're saying about the ambiance of the restaurant & how it affects your meal. I would probably enjoy those desserts. Not too sure about the other offerings, though.

We aren't big buffet people anyway...not that I'm opposed to a buffet, but it's not our first pick when we go on vacation. However the breakfast buffet at Boma that we tried back in 2008 was really good.

Phew...:faint: that wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be! I am not looking forward to paying adult prices for our DD's when they are over 10. We may have to look at Disney Dining differently!:goodvibes Thanks for all the dessert pics....I may have to try them all too!!::yes::

:laughing: Did you think I was going to bash Boma??? I always hate "bashing" restaurants too much unless it was just absolutely awful. Everyone has such different tastes and preferences when it comes to dining. But I will say this....we won't go back there for dinner;)

Nah, I knew you were in That Place which will go unspoken :rotfl:
Almost packed. 19 tops too much :confused3 I'm going to make an effort to downsize, really. :rolleyes: Still unable to pick which to leave home!! Sigh.
Haven't got to the shoes yet, hahaha.

19 tops:scratchin no....not too much. Make it an even number and go for 20. And 10 pairs of shoes will probably do it. 1 pair for every 2 shirts....makes perfect sense to me.

We had a Boma Dinner reservation but ended up canceling it because my brother was sick ( he had already missed Tusker House). We rebooked for breakfast later in the week which based on your review was probably a good move. I don't mind buffets for breakfast but I don't like them for other meals

There you go, trying to sneak in an installment during off hours - that threw me for a loop, but was a pleasant surprise - thank you.

You've brought back memories of our Boma visit back in 8/10 - yikes, it was crowded back then, too. It must be because it's the only one TS credit restaurant? Or maybe because it's a buffet? You should NOT have had to wait that long for a table with an ADR - ridiculous. That would have definitely started things off on the wrong foot.

I had 'adult price transition anxiety' (APTA) at first, too with DD. Once you start ordering off the adult menu all the time though, you never look back. DD has always preferred the adult selection more anyway, so I feel good knowing she has more and sometimes better choices. I will admit that even at 13, her eyes are often bigger than her stomach and I do sometimes suggest she order a kid's meal at some restaurants. But, her pride usually gets in the way and she says a quick, "No thank-you." But at Boma, DD ate many platefuls of African goodness. Did Steven only want prime rib?

I think the guy in the corner liked your shoes;)

Boma has never really been on my radar and I don't think that is going to change anytime soon. :rolleyes1 I'm really not a big buffet fan in general and on top of that not a particularly adventurous eater. $40 seems like a lot... although maybe when Stephen and Jesse are teens you'll get your $ worth. :laughing:

I will also confess that I don't quite "get" the appeal of the zebra dome. :confused3 Maybe I'll give them another try next time. I know so many people rave about them.

As always, thanks for sharing. Loving your report! :goodvibes

My kids didn't eat much at Boma either and we just thought the food was meh. But we were very tired. Maybe that was part of the problem. We thought the line for food was insanely long and everyone in line was joking that Boma could use a fast pass system. :rotfl:

Too bad that Boma wasn't a favorite. The desserts do look delicious though!

I love the DDP for that exact reason. Once I've paid for the trip, I can put the cost of the meals out of my mind. I seriously doubt that DD eats $30 worth of fruit at the character meals we take her to!

We had the same experience at Boma! It was so crowded, and because there was only two of us, we were tucked away in some corner! :laughing: My mom loved it, but I think I would prefer Jiko from what I've heard about the reviews. That picture of the dining area with the man in the corner is hilarious! :rotfl2: I always wonder what faces I'm making in other people's photos!

Back in the day,my dad used to cringe on my buffet price as well. I used to only eat salad & dessert. Now, since I pay,lol!!! I @ least go for the fish, but still not huge into the carving table. :confused3 I think I'll feel the same way once my DS gets to the 10 mark. :crazy2:

I'm sorry your Boma meal was a little disappointing. You know, I love eating dinner there, but last time we went, service was NOT good, and it was also pretty crowded. I am thinking maybe I just love it so much because it gives me an opportunity to be in AKL. :confused3

I'm sorry your Boma meal was a little disappointing. You know, I love eating dinner there, but last time we went, service was NOT good, and it was also pretty crowded. I am thinking maybe I just love it so much because it gives me an opportunity to be in AKL. :confused3

Yes!! I am excited to try the restaurant but I really really really want to see AKL!! It may lead to us staying there someday....pixiedust:

19 tops:scratchin no....not too much. Make it an even number and go for 20. And 10 pairs of shoes will probably do it. 1 pair for every 2 shirts....makes perfect sense to me.

:rotfl::rotfl: o.k!!

Washed my coloured shirts today, hanging out to dry :laundy: Whites tomorrow :goodvibes And pack shoes.

We have 2 ADRs for Boma, one dinner and one breakfast. Did you happen to notice if they had She Crab Soup the night you were there? Had it once there, and can't remember which day they have it. Seriously good stuff!
Can't wait for Zebra Domes. I'm surprised they don't have them in the CL :confused3
3 more days. Have to be at airport by 4am :crazy2:

We had a Boma Dinner reservation but ended up canceling it because my brother was sick ( he had already missed Tusker House). We rebooked for breakfast later in the week which based on your review was probably a good move. I don't mind buffets for breakfast but I don't like them for other meals

Yeah... buffets aren't our first choice either, but since we were there...we tried it. And really glad we did. Now I can officially say I've been there and done that. Once again I'm in agreement with you....breakfast buffets are fine, especially the character ones. I might be changing my mind though when my boys are teenagers :laughing:

You've brought back memories of our Boma visit back in 8/10 - yikes, it was crowded back then, too. It must be because it's the only one TS credit restaurant? Or maybe because it's a buffet? You should NOT have had to wait that long for a table with an ADR - ridiculous. That would have definitely started things off on the wrong foot.

I'm thinking that if AKL removed a number of tables from Boma it would be much better. It was just way too congested for us. We like to sit, relax, and chat without having to yell at each other :laughing: I didn't put this in the review, but there was a reason the wait was so long. One of the hostess' said they had so many people waiting (walk-ups) that they were having to fit them in. Ok...not acceptable....the ressies should take precidence. And because the staff was so dang nice, it was hard to get mad with them:rolleyes:

I had 'adult price transition anxiety' (APTA) at first, too with DD. Once you start ordering off the adult menu all the time though, you never look back. DD has always preferred the adult selection more anyway, so I feel good knowing she has more and sometimes better choices. I will admit that even at 13, her eyes are often bigger than her stomach and I do sometimes suggest she order a kid's meal at some restaurants. But, her pride usually gets in the way and she says a quick, "No thank-you." But at Boma, DD ate many platefuls of African goodness. Did Steven only want prime rib?

Love the analogy....APTA!!! That would be me! We've already jumped through this hurdle at non-Disney places and we've accepted it;) Kind of....Totally get the pride thing. That's Stephen's problem. Usually he's a great 'eater' but that night, he was getting meat, noodles, pasta....:confused3 Who knows?!

I think the guy in the corner liked your shoes;)

You're funny! :laughing: I'm sure that's exactly what he was smiling about.

Boma has never really been on my radar and I don't think that is going to change anytime soon. :rolleyes1 I'm really not a big buffet fan in general and on top of that not a particularly adventurous eater. $40 seems like a lot... although maybe when Stephen and Jesse are teens you'll get your $ worth. :laughing:

Exactly!!!! You're completely right...now that Stephen has hit middle school, his appetite has increased greatly.

I will also confess that I don't quite "get" the appeal of the zebra dome. :confused3 Maybe I'll give them another try next time. I know so many people rave about them.

Your comment makes me laugh! While they're good, I liked some of the other desserts better. You're right though....people RAVE about them.

My kids didn't eat much at Boma either and we just thought the food was meh. But we were very tired. Maybe that was part of the problem. We thought the line for food was insanely long and everyone in line was joking that Boma could use a fast pass system. :rotfl:

The Fast Pass system :scratchin....there ya go! You've found the solution!! :laughing:

Too bad that Boma wasn't a favorite. The desserts do look delicious though!

I love the DDP for that exact reason. Once I've paid for the trip, I can put the cost of the meals out of my mind. I seriously doubt that DD eats $30 worth of fruit at the character meals we take her to!

Normally we always do the DxDp. But, since we weren't doing the parks...no plan. And you're right! When you do the dining plan, it's paid for upfront and you don't worry about the prices at all. I originally said we may not do the DxDp on our BWV trip, but I can almost bet we will. We love the signature restaurants, so that plan saves us money. Funny about the $30 fruit :rotfl: that's so true!!!!!

We had the same experience at Boma! It was so crowded, and because there was only two of us, we were tucked away in some corner! :laughing: My mom loved it, but I think I would prefer Jiko from what I've heard about the reviews. That picture of the dining area with the man in the corner is hilarious! :rotfl2: I always wonder what faces I'm making in other people's photos!

Jiko would be a great fit for yall....much less noise...no hustle and bustle! And speaking of people in pictures....you may or may not remember from last year's TR, but my father snapped a photo at FW and there happened to be a man and his baby in the pic. A lady posted on the TR and said "That's my husband!" How often does that happen??!!

Back in the day,my dad used to cringe on my buffet price as well. I used to only eat salad & dessert. Now, since I pay,lol!!! I @ least go for the fish, but still not huge into the carving table. :confused3 I think I'll feel the same way once my DS gets to the 10 mark. :crazy2:

Go ahead and start saving your money!!! I'm cringing at the thought of paying for 5 adult meals at Disney!!! But....it's gonna happen one day:sad2:

Roni....just suck it up and stay there!!! :rolleyes1

Yes!! I am excited to try the restaurant but I really really really want to see AKL!! It may lead to us staying there someday....pixiedust:

Everyone with kids should give it a try....so worth it!!!

We have 2 ADRs for Boma, one dinner and one breakfast. Did you happen to notice if they had She Crab Soup the night you were there? Had it once there, and can't remember which day they have it. Seriously good stuff!
Can't wait for Zebra Domes. I'm surprised they don't have them in the CL :confused3
3 more days. Have to be at airport by 4am :crazy2:

No She Crab soup! I would have spotted that for sure! Maybe you'll enjoy Boma...breakfast for sure will be good. From what I hear, Zebra Domes used to be served at CL, but no longer. Not sure why??

3 days, huh! Super close!!! I'll be anxious to compare our notes about AKL. Hope your CL experience is just awesome!!!

I'm sorry dinner was so hectic. Have you considered the TiW card? I think that would have saved a bundle. But if you usually do the dining plan that wouldn't work for those trips. I agree, a 40 minute wait when you have an ADR is unacceptable.

Thankfully I used a giftcard for our dinner at Boma, the price tag is a bit oppressive.

I laughed out loud at the man in the corner, he just caught me by surprise :)

Roni....just suck it up and stay there!!!
:rotfl2:

I know! I am toying with the idea right now. But I would have to get a pin code or something though - way too $$$ given the sort of vacation I am tentatively planning right now. :rolleyes1

When I go, I'm going to have to ask and make a note of what day they serve the She Crab soup. It's outstanding :goodvibes
I'll prob post live reports on AKL thread, so stay tuned!!

We've dined at Boma several times. So far we've been lucky to get tables in the back, by the windows where it doesn't seem to be as crowded, and I've enjoyed the food. ESP all the salads. But I know what you mean about the kids, and my daughter was in early 20s first time we ate there, so I wasn't watching what she put on her plate. When she got back to the table with Mac & cheese and chicken nuggets, I wasn't amused :rotfl2: so not paying those prices for that!!!! nOw she's banned from that stuff when we eat there, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter