• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

3 days before cruise and Birth Certificate is Missing!

Just a comment. An original DD Form 214 is a very powerful document when used with a picture ID card (especially if you also have an original honorable discharge form). I am not saying that DCL will accept it, just that an original DD214 can be used most anywhere (Banking firms, mortgage firms, VA, Social Security, etc). I guard this form as closely as my passport and birth certificate. - Mike

Even Vitalchek can't dig the OP's buddy out of this hole, because they don't guarantee overnight fulfillment.

All that firm does is act as a middleman expediter, which has to deal with the logistics set be each registry. In this case, they would have to request the record from the Los Angeles County Registrar of Vital records. Per the website from that specific registry (note the part in BOLD):

"For those in need of fast turnaround time, you may fax a request to (562) 864-3469, or place your request over the Internet if you have one of the following credit cards: MasterCard, Visa, American Express or Discover.* Emergency orders will be processed within 5 working days of receipt of the Certificate of Identity. Emergency service is available only to individuals applying for a certified copy. Credit card orders will be returned by regular mail unless Express Mail or Federal Express delivery if requested which costs an additional $13.65 and $12.50 respectively. A $6.00 special handling fee will be charged on all credit card orders in addition to the copy fee."

Translation: in an emergency (ergo, this case), the registrar will get it to you (or a middleman like Vitalchek) "within.....five working days."

Add in the time it will take for Vitalchek to forward it to the recipient, and you're definitely looking at a delivery date after the sailing.

In fact, even if said OP buddy is at the Registrar's office as we speak, he's going to have to negotiate NEXT DAY TURNAROUND (good luck) from some cynical, fatigued clerk in that office in order to meet the sailing timetable.

The odds of that happening? Unless he (or some friend) is a close personal friend of said clerk, I'd say about nada,

When I needed to replace my BC (not an emergency), I called the state office which keeps them and they were able to verify that they did have the original and they offered to overnight it to me if I needed it that quickly. Just like most places.......... be friendly and polite and you may be surprised at how accomodating the other person can be.

I think this is the reason that I have passports for everyone in my family AND I have 4 certified copies of everyone's birth certificates. 1 copy for each person is in my wallet, 1 copy is at home in the locked safe and 1 copy each is with each set of parents! I always take both my passport and birth certificate with me whenever I travel by air or on a cruise. I use the passport to get through the airport easier and to get on the cruise ship easier and then it goes into the safe in the room not to be used again until we re-check into the airport to come home. The birth certificates I take 2 for everyone with me as well and lock 1 copy in the safe with the passports and take 1 copy with me. At least this way if we lost A birth certificate I always have a backup and vice versa with the passport. I lost my passport when I was 18 in Japan and didn't realize it until we were leaving our hotel to go to the airport. Needless to say (this was before 9-11 :teeth: ) but I ended up having to stay behind for an extra flight before the state department was able to verify who I was and get me out of Japan! Since then I always carry multiple forms of my birth certificate, copies of my passport so I have the # handy if I need it and my driver's license!

I feel so sorry for the OP's friend! That has to be one of the worst feelings in the world! I thought I would die when I found out I couldn't get home from Japan with all of my friends! I certainly hope he can get one expedited quick enough to go! That just stinks!!

Heidi

I sympathize. The night before our last cruise, I was gathering the boarding documents, but could not find my wife's BC. We had traveled across the boarder to Canada recently, so I was sure it was in the "safe spot" where we keep them all, so had not felt the need to check before then.

As it turns out, the BC in the "safe spot" was a hospital copy, which apparently immigration at the border accepted but DCL said they could not.

Needless to say we were frantic and very mad at ourselves for not checking sooner. How were we going to explain to our kids that we could not go on the cruise (leaving my wife behind was not an option)?

We had no idea where to look, but we turned the house upside down for about 2 hours, and out of despiration, decided to go through the sovenier bag from our first cruise in 1999. Lo and behold, there it was! It took me about 2 hours to calm down enough to resume packing and getting ready - by then it was about 1 AM!

We now have passports for everyone (I already had one for business), and we keep them in a secure spot. We also ordered extra copies of everyone's BC just in case.

Moral of the story - secure your proof of citizenship papers the day you book the cruise!

BTW - when we got to the port, the couple next to us in checkin only had a hospital BC - they had to sign a few extra forms, but were allowed on. This was a 4 day on the Wonder - the DCL CM said they could get by on the 4 day with this BC, but the countries visited on the 7 day would likely not allow it (so they would have been turned away at the dock)!

>>When I needed to replace my BC (not an emergency), I called the state office which keeps them and they were able to verify that they did have the original and they offered to overnight it to me if I needed it that quickly. <<

State, local and civic offices vary in terms of how quickly they can respond to these sorts of requests, and how flexible and willing they are accomodate rush situations. Your experience (the positive end of the spectrum) is only one example, and is not representative of how every registry works and responds, irrespective of how "diplomatic" the requestor is.

In my earlier post, I cut and pasted the stated, published policy of the particular registry involved with the friend of the OP, which is "rush' requests take up to five business days to process. Even if he was extremely nice and polite to the clerks in the L.A. office, and/or put on an incredible, Academy-Award-level "plea-for-mercy" performance, does that absolutely guarantee they are going to turn around his request in 1/5 the time the office states is the maximum?

No.

As for the subsequent posters who documented their ultra-redundant documentation strategies, I respect and note your efforts. To date, when we cruise, I take our passports, color copies of the I.D. pages of each, and copies of our birth certificates. I will now get extra certified copies of the latter to take with us.

One other point: there has been some related discussion here recently about whether one should take passports ashore while in port. We do, in a sealed splashcaddy brand waterproof pouch that stays physically on my person wherever we go. Some feel that is overkill or risky, but my rebuttal always stands:

If you run into an emergency while ashore (accident, arrest, whatever), and miss the ship, you are SCREWED - I repeat, S-C-R-E-W-E-D -- if you don't have a passport. Color copies of the latter and birth certificates won't cut it with foreign magistrates, and won' t get you onto an airplane home.

Judge Doom - Let us know what happens. Was L.A. sympathetic???

They supposedly had mercy on him and he's supposed to pick up his BC at 8 AM this morning. He paid for express on it and he's got a reciept to pick it up at the registar's office. We will see but he seems confident. The lady explained that this happens all the time and the official policy is 5 days but they can do it in 24 hours if needed to, They just don't advertise the fact on the website.

If it doesn't work and they don't have his BC ready he's going to bring his original DD 214 and every form of ID known to man and hope for the best. DCL stated that the more ID the better and with forms like his DD 214 INS would probably let him get away with a waiver form. Probably... :sad2:

I'll let everyone know the finally out come...

>>The lady explained that this happens all the time and the official policy is 5 days<<

Actually, their published policy is up to five days. Subtle distinction that gives them some wiggle room (and makes them look good if they come in under five days). Hopefully, they will be able to get it to him today.

In reality, it should take only a few minutes (15-20) to get it IF someone wanted to. When I needed one to join the Navy in 1989, I went with my grandparents to the county office in Ohio. The clerk pulled up a microfiche and printed a copy of it. She them took out the seal machine to squish the symbol into the paper, stamped it with a red rubber stamp, then signed it. We were done withint he hour, nice and official ::yes::

One of the most suprising things I enjoy witnessing is the speed at which the governemtn CAN move when they want to :upsidedow

Ok he got it!!

The problem was what year he was born because he told me he saw people walk up and get it in 20 minutes like you said. Since he was born before 1975 he could have had to wait up to 5 days.

So now he's on a plane from LA right now to meet me in Florida.

So glad it all worked out! Finally you can breathe! And without having a heart attack by paying a third party

goingbacksoon

LOL, well I am glad he was able to get it in a reasonable time. :sunny: have fun on your cruise, and make sure you give him plenty of grief about it :smooth:

In fact if you want to be evil, you can talk to the CM ahead of time and have them pause whent he ID is presented and say "Sir, unfortunately we need an original with a watermark", "we need a valid passport", or some nonsense, just to watch the blood run from his face (or would that be to evil?) :worried: :earseek: :badpc: :jester:

Have a great cruise!!!

Originally posted by Greysword
make sure you give him plenty of grief about it

Trust me he's not going to hear the end of this one for a long time and it's all gonna begin in 45 mins when I leave to pick him up at MCO.

Originally posted by Greysword
just to watch the blood run from his face (or would that be to evil?)

After what he put me thru I don't think that will be evil enough...pirate:

Again thanks to everyone who helped out with this crisis and let this be a lesson to those who want to put it off till the last minute!!:wave2: ::yes:: :jester:

Originally posted by Judge Doom
Trust me he's not going to hear the end of this one for a long time and it's all gonna begin in 45 mins when I leave to pick him up at MCO.

Glad it worked out and especially in LA. He better not hear the end of it. Give him hell. Have a great trip and enjoy. When they announce him getting on the ship you should give them a false name like Mr. I forgot to get my birth certificate.

Have a great time!!!!!!:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter