3 Brits and 3 weeks at Disneys Grand Floridian (**Completed**)

Hello fellow brit! Have been following your report along but think this is the first time l've posted, so hi!
Great update, love the pic of your DD after the water ride. I have a very similar photo of my DH after that ride, he was not impressed with how wet you get :rotfl2:

Hi, Sara!
So happy to see an update! Sorry the MK was so crowded, but you guys definitely had a lovely day at IOA/US! Those water rides at IOA definitely get you wet!!

What a great trip report. I'm a bit late joining in but I'm loving it so far. I can't wait for the rest of your updates.

Thanks for reading along - hope to get another day up soon.

Hi Sara,

lovely update!

I must admit.. I've never been in to Harry Potter so the whole thing goes right over my head about WWoH :rolleyes1 ... but that ride & the area does look very fun! :thumbsup2

Lol Amber's face is just how mine was after Dudley Doo Right's... I got too wet!! that combined with Popeye's ride & Jurassic Park, I was completely soaked through when we went in 2009 :eek:

love the photopass picture of all the family in MK :wizard:

hope you are all well.. new job sounds good but you are doing a lot of hours!! :surfweb:

Emma princess: x

Amber is such an actress - she was putting that face on!!! I think those rides border on the too wet!! Took ages to dry off!

I thought that was a lovely pic of all of us. :)

New job is crazy busy but it will hopefully calm down soon - I don't have enough time to plan my holiday!! I have booked the ADR's for August/September now though - thats a big weight off my mind!

Glad to see you back. I am glad that you had such a fun day. I can't believe how soaked everyone got on that ride. I think when we go we should take a change of clothes, go on all the water rides at once and then get changed into dry clothes so we aren't uncomfortable for the rest of the day.

How exciting that you got to pick the wand at Olivanders. I didn't know that they ever picked adults, now I know that I have a chance I will make sure I am as overexcited as possible so that I get picked. I will have no shame :lmao:, that wand is mine :wizard:.

Definately act OTT - it works!! I would take a change of clothes - you get soaked and it is uncomfortable as no part of you is dry :eek:

Great update! You really packed a lot into one day!

It was a busy, but very fun day!!

Hi Sara!!

I'm so glad you made it back! I'm sure that with everything going on, it's been so busy for you! The Wizarding World of Harry Potter looks fantastic! I'm glad you got picked for the wand bit, but boo on having to pay $30 for the wand. Does Amber get to play with it at home?

Getting wet on those rides probably felt good in the hot sun. Amber doesn't look pleased in that one picture!:rotfl:

Sorry for the bad luck in the Magic Kingdom. I think we've all been there!

Ghiradelli always hits the spot. It does seem to take forever though.

I have tried the wand out on the housework and ironing but think I must have been sold a dud!!! :rotfl2:

Hello fellow brit! Have been following your report along but think this is the first time l've posted, so hi!
Great update, love the pic of your DD after the water ride. I have a very similar photo of my DH after that ride, he was not impressed with how wet you get :rotfl2:

Hi - thanks for reading along!!! So pleased you left a comment!!

Hi, Sara!
So happy to see an update! Sorry the MK was so crowded, but you guys definitely had a lovely day at IOA/US! Those water rides at IOA definitely get you wet!!

Hi Kylie - it was nice to see it so busy - but not so nice to feel so trapped!!

Glad to see you back! Hope you've been well and enjoying your new job.

Thank you - it is a lot of fun. Hope to check in here more often!! I have this years PTR to start!!

Nice tip about the wand shop. I see your Dad has his usual photo expression on, classic! :)

I know Dave - he told me off about that - he asked if I picked out all the bad ones!! He is known for the photo expression!!!

Can't believe you only have 4 weeks on Monday to go :yay:

The wand trick is tried and tested - do it!!!

Monday 6th September

Today was Busch Gardens day. Mum and Dad came to the hotel to get us about 8am. We stopped off on the I4 at a Dennys to get some breakfast. It was good. I love American breakfasts!!

958.jpg

We arrived at Busch Gardens about 10am.

963.jpg

961.jpg

966.jpg

We went on Gwazi first. I sat with Dad and laughed all the way round. We kept bouncing out of our seats. We have a old wooden roller coaster at an aumsement park in our home time and it reminded me “slightly” of that.

We then had a wander round and watched an animal show. It was a bit cheesy but nice to get out of the sun for a little while.

970.jpg

From here we walked to Sheikra!

979.jpg

983.jpg

Me and Jonathan had prepared ourselves for this by visiting Alton Towers in the Summer which is probably one of the UK’s biggest Theme Parks. They have a ride called “Oblivion” which has the vertical drop. It had taken me some courage but I did it. However, there was no way I was getting on Sheikra – it was HUGE!!! Jonathan agreed – we whimped out!! Dad was very keen. Unfortunately it broke down just before he got in the queue so we agreed to check back later to see if it was up and running.

Dad and Jonathan then went on Kumba. Me, Mum and Amber headed round to Jungala. I loved it here. The tiger enclosure was amazing – you can see them so close!

984.jpg

2219.jpg

2227.jpg

We went to Bengal bites for some lunch. It was OK but we missed the free dining!!

Mum and Amber then went on a carousel – it took forever!!!

2235.jpg

Then all of us except Dad went on Cheetah Chase – again. Laughed all the way round! Mum was really scared! We bought the photo as we were all laughing so hard on it!

Scorpion was next – all except Mum. Amber really enjoyed it. I can remember going on it years ago and being really scared!

We had a walk back to Sheikra (Jonathan and I still bottled!) It was working so Dad went on. He absolutely loved it – said it was a fantastic ride. He loved the fact that you could see so much at the top. That wouldn’t have happened to me as I would have had my eyes tight shut!!

2240.jpg

2245.jpg

Jonathan and Amber walked round to Sesame Street and went on Gwazi again. We agreed to meet at the Montu.

As Dad, Mum and I walked over to the Egypt section Mum said she was too hot so would wait for us on a Bench. I went off with Dad to get Amber from Jonathan. It was a long walk! All through the construction area where they are building the new Cheetah ride. Jonathan and Amber arrived about the same time so Amber and I went to get a drink. By the time we got served they had done Montu! We walked back to Mum who had nearly fainted on the Bench! She had got really dehydrated. We got her some water and then got the tram out. It was 4:30pm.

Mum and Dad dropped us back at the hotel.

We all got ready and Jonathan went and picked them up from there hotel about 8pm. Amber and I met them in our Lobby. Amber went over on her own first to look in the shop. When they arrived Mum and Dad loved how our lobby looked at night and to hear the pianist play.

2246.jpg

2252.jpg

We all got the monorail over to the Contemporary and got the lift up to the 15th Floor. Tonight was our dinner at the California Grill.

2256.jpg

2259.jpg

2260.jpg

We were seated very quickly. We ordered 2 flatbreads to share between us for an appetizer. One was delicious – the other was good but not quite as nice.

2263.jpg

For the entrée Dad and I both had the filet. Jonathan and Mum the lamb chops and Amber a small steak.

2267.jpg

2268.jpg

It was then 10pm so we went out onto the roof to watch Wishes. It was fantastic! Lovely to see it from up so high!

2273.jpg

2274.jpg

Once back inside we had Dessert. Jonathan had a banana something? I had the chocolate crème brulee and Amber a chocolate pudding.

2275.jpg

2276.jpg

It was a fantastic meal and we had a fantastic server. What was even better was that our portion of the cheque should have been $173 but was free!!!

It was a really lovely evening. Mum and Dad got a taxi back and we got the Monorail round to our hotel . We packed for the next day as we were going up to St Augustine to stay at Sawgrass. We all then collapsed into bed!!

Great update!! I've only been to the Busch Gardens in Virginia, but I found it to be just lovely and clean. Seems like the Tampa one was too.
YAY-- glad you made your August/September ADR's!! We're SOOO excited to go this year (of course!)!!

Love your trip report!!!! we normally only stay in Disney for a week so we don't usually have time to go to some of the other orlando places. This last trip we were staying for 10 days since I was on a month long break from school and we ended up being able to go to Islands of Adventure for Harry Potter land. We absolutely LOVED it!!!! I'm a harry potter freak so this was like a section of heaven for me!!! everything was sooooo realistic that it was incredible. It has become a must-do in our family to go there for a day out of our trip. Did you guys get to try butterbeer? We got both the regular and the frozen butterbeer and the frozen one was significantly better, especially for the time of year you guys seem to go often. Another stand out for us were the cauldron cakes. seriously these are the most amazing things EVER!!!!!!! Every part of that cake was my favorite part of the cake!!!!! If you didn't get to try it I seriously suggest trying it. It lives up to the hype definitely.

Love the TR! Looks like you 3 had a wonderful time! You have a very cute family and also, your daughter looks strangely like a girl that I babysat for a few years ago.

Great update!! I've only been to the Busch Gardens in Virginia, but I found it to be just lovely and clean. Seems like the Tampa one was too.
YAY-- glad you made your August/September ADR's!! We're SOOO excited to go this year (of course!)!!

Hi Kylie!!! Busch Gardens was much better this year than when we went 7 years ago - much cleaner. Have you made any plans for your trip??

Love your trip report!!!! we normally only stay in Disney for a week so we don't usually have time to go to some of the other orlando places. This last trip we were staying for 10 days since I was on a month long break from school and we ended up being able to go to Islands of Adventure for Harry Potter land. We absolutely LOVED it!!!! I'm a harry potter freak so this was like a section of heaven for me!!! everything was sooooo realistic that it was incredible. It has become a must-do in our family to go there for a day out of our trip. Did you guys get to try butterbeer? We got both the regular and the frozen butterbeer and the frozen one was significantly better, especially for the time of year you guys seem to go often. Another stand out for us were the cauldron cakes. seriously these are the most amazing things EVER!!!!!!! Every part of that cake was my favorite part of the cake!!!!! If you didn't get to try it I seriously suggest trying it. It lives up to the hype definitely.

Hi :welcome:

We love Harry Potter too and I loved being in Harry Potter World!! We didn't try a Butterbeer but its on my list for this time and I have to have a cauldron cake!!

Love the Report Thanks for Sharing!

No problem - thanks for reading :thumbsup2

Love the TR! Looks like you 3 had a wonderful time! You have a very cute family and also, your daughter looks strangely like a girl that I babysat for a few years ago.

Hi :welcome:

We did have a wonderful time! How strange that Amber looks like someone else - they say that we all have a double :)

Hi Kylie!!! Busch Gardens was much better this year than when we went 7 years ago - much cleaner. Have you made any plans for your trip??
Hi Sara! Yup, we pretty much know exactly what we're doing. Our ADR's are made and (although DBF doesn't know, LOL) I know what parks we'll be hitting which days. Are you going to do another PTR?? We'll have to compare days :-)

Tuesday 7th September

Today we were up early! Jonathan left for golf at 7am and me and Amber walked over to the Poly as we had a breakfast reservation at Ohana for 7:40am. It was a lovely walk over there.

When we arrived it wasn’t busy at all. We were seated very quickly.

2279.jpg

This was our first time here for breakfast and it didn’t disappoint. We had bread, fruit, eggs, sausage, bacon, scones and Mickey Waffles. All served family style. It was very good.

2285.jpg

2290.jpg

We saw Stitch, Lilo, Mickey and Pluto.

2299.jpg

2302.jpg

2315.jpg

2323.jpg

Before we left we went in the gift shop and bought a couple of scrapbook kits, some photo albums and a few presents. We had everything in a huge bag which was extremely heavy. As we left the Poly Security pulled up in a golf buggy and asked where we were headed. When I said back to the Grand Floridian he told us to hop in as it was far to far to carry our heavy bag. How lovely was that. He took us all the way back to our room!!

Once back there Amber and I had a tidy up. Jonathan rang to say they would pick us up from the front at 10am. They had been to play the Oak trail. Amber and I walked over to Gasparillas and used some snack credits for the Journey.

Today we were headed up to St Augustine. Dad drove us up there. It was rather a boring drive and just before we got to St Augustine Dad stopped for fuel. We then headed for Ponte Vedra Beach and had to go along this really long Coastal Road that you are not supposed to stop on. We were all marvelling at the huge houses on our right when I noticed that Dad was feeling round his pockets. I asked him what was up and he said he couldn’t find his credit card wallet. I told him to pull over and we would check the seats. You know when you instantly feel sick! We all got out and checked everywhere – nothing! He said he was sure they fell out at the petrol station. I said not to panic as we could cancel the cards. His reply was that that wasn’t what he was worrying about – it was the fact that he had $1000 of travellers cheques tucked in there!! We needed to get back to the garage straight away. Dad suggested taking us on to the hotel but we all agreed to go back to the garage together. Well … except one of us. I noticed Amber looked a little disgruntled and I said “Don’t worry sweetheart, Grandad will find his money”. She said “That’s not what I’m cross about – I want to go to the hotel”!! Don’t you just love them!!

Anyway 30 minutes of silent driving later we arrive back at the fuel station, which as you could imagine wasn’t in the nicest part of town. Dad got on and Jonathan and I searched all around the pump. We followed Dad in who was politely waiting in the queue to ask if anybody had handed a wallet in. He got to the front and asked if they had received a wallet of credit cards – they asked if it had travellers cheques in and Dad said yes and guess what – they had it. Some really nice person had handed it in – he had dropped it on the ground in the garage! I can’t tell you how relieved we all were!

We then drove back – along the same long road!! Passed the same amazing houses. We later found out they were worth between $25 and $30 million!

Shortly after we arrived at the Sawgrass Marriott.

986-Copy.jpg

It was very nice and we checked into our very nice room.

987.jpg

We all went down to the pool and had something to eat at the pool bar as it was now 3:30pm – it was lovely and overlooked one of the golf holes.

991-Copy.jpg

992.jpg

993.jpg

994.jpg

997.jpg

998.jpg

1002.jpg

1003.jpg

We spent some time in the pool and then went back to the room for a rest.

1004.jpg

1011-Copy.jpg

We went down to find somewhere to eat – everyone was to tired to leave the hotel. The thought of losing all that money had really wiped it out of us!

We found a sports bar type place in the hotel and Mum, Dad and Jonathan had a steak and me and Amber had fish and chips. It was OK.

1014.jpg

1015.jpg

1018.jpg

1019-Copy.jpg

1012.jpg

1021.jpg

We went back up to the room and fell asleep very quickly!!

Hi Sara! Yup, we pretty much know exactly what we're doing. Our ADR's are made and (although DBF doesn't know, LOL) I know what parks we'll be hitting which days. Are you going to do another PTR?? We'll have to compare days :-)

I will hopefully have this TR finished by the weekend! I'm on a roll and then I will start a PTR - we can compare our schedules. Hopefully our paths will cross :)

Loving the updates!! So happy to hear we will go straight into a PTR for your next trip!

Brigitte

I love your TR! You have a lovely family. It looks like you all had a magical wonderful vacation! Thanks for sharing! I'm also glad your Dad found his wallet, he was very lucky someone turned it in. I love hearing stories that show that there are still kind and honest people left in this world! :wizard:

Oh no-- you guys must have been terrified when you thought your dad's wallet was gone! That's so great that some nice person turned it in without taking anything!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter