• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

3/7/04 Disney Wonder Cruise Report

robby69

Earning My Ears
I got alot of great tips from this bo.ard, so I wanted to share some random thoughts about our 3/7/04 Disey Wonder cruise,
Boarding started about 11:45pm. We took the 10:30am shuttle from the Radisson, very smooth. We were picked out from the back of the line to go thru early, pretty nice. But I think the line would go pretty quick anyway. We went to Parrot Cay for the buffett, good selection. We then went to Wavebands to make Palo brunch reservations at 1pm. Brunch was excellent & the service was as good as any 5-star restaurant. Characters appear throughout the ship at scheduled times & at random. Plenty of photos. We booked the dolphin encounter on our own and took a taxi from nassau port to paradise island. The boat ride was only 20 minutes doing it this way. I would highly recommend this once in a life time experience. Alot of interacting with the dolphins & you can purchase photos & videos.
Buffett at castaway cay was good, hunt for the ceasar salad station. Food on the ship overally was good. Nice selection of entrees and desserts. We didn't like the Hercules how, but thought the Golden Mickey's show was excellent. Can't say enough good things about the kids club, well organized and fun.
Weather was excellent & seas seemed calm except for departing Sunday night & Wednesday night, alot of swaying in our Cat-5.
Room service was prompt for breakfast, just fill out the door hang.
If you don't have to depart early the last day, I would recommend staying on ship until 8:45am, we just walked off the ship & porter met us to take our bags to the Radisson shuttle, arriving every 15 minutes. My main surprises were no waiting, decent food & large cabins with good water pressure. We also visited Atlantis, it was nice to see, but I didn't think the aquarium was worth the $. Air freshener was good hint, & something the keep the closet doors closed, as the swaying caused them to open & close at night. The internet was very slow on ship, almost to the point of unusable. The survey at the end of the cruise indicated they may be thinking about adding another ship. One of the questions were, would you be interested in a Disney Alaska, Mediterranean, Mexican Rivera if offered. Overall it was very enjoyable, but I don't think we would book another because of the limited ports of call. If you just want a relaxing cruise with kids, this is the best cruise line to spend some time with them & also by yourself when they are in the kid's club. We ended up spending an additional $800 on souveneirs, photos, spa & drinks. We didn't drink alot, for 3 people & only $250 of that was for the spa.
We tipped the recommeded amount, & gave our 2 servers & our Palo server extra cash. (Can't say enough good thinks about the Palo service). I didn't feel overwhelmed by the kid's, even though there were over 900 on board. I would have liked to see some more food options on board, such as a general buffett throughout the day, instead of hotdogs & nachos. My wife liked the spa taster ($89) massage & facial. Watch out for the hard sell on their products. (Alot of outlandish claims & very expensive, & look at the ingredients, water, glycerin, proplyene glycol... what's found in most under $10 drugstore products) Just the pharmacist coming out in me. If you stay at the in Port Canaveral & have a car, I recommend the Brevard Zoo. About 15 minutes. Nicely done, hand feed Giraffes & Lora-Keets. Closeup views of alligators & all the animals divided into continents.

Thanks for the information. Especially about the survey - Alaska or Mexican Rivieria - hum decisions decisions.

Hi, Glad you had a good trip. ANy recommendations on what to bring to keep the closet doors from moving. I know someone said that Disney would prefer you not use duct tape on the doors as I am sure it must ruin the finish faster. Lynn

was this offered only on the last day (sea day)?
I LOVE Palo brunch.

Originally posted by Eggleboo
Hi, Glad you had a good trip. ANy recommendations on what to bring to keep the closet doors from moving. I know someone said that Disney would prefer you not use duct tape on the doors as I am sure it must ruin the finish faster. Lynn

Many times when the doors do not close it is a case of the doors being reversed. Just slide them to switch. They should stay shut. It is very easy to mistakingly reverse them.

Thanks so much for your report. We are leaving tomorrow so I am more anxious to find out the weather.

It's really good know that you had a great trip and nice weather.

Apparently, a lot of people use velcro. We were on the wonder on 2/22 - 26 and there was already velcro on our closet doors from a previous visitor :)

Originally posted by kelljacques@aol.com
Did you book this on your own?? how did you do this?? Thanks for the help
Kelly
http://www.dolphinswims.com/
and you can stay on the boat to go back to the disney ship & avoid a 2nd cab fare. They announce at the dock at paradiase island, that if you are on a cruise ship, please stay on the boat.
We took the 2pm encounter. Arrived to check in at the ferry terminal a little before 1pm. Boarded the boat about 1:20pm & got to the blue lagoon at about 1:40pm. You have a 15-min discussion about your encounter, then you are divided into groups. There are lockers for your stuff.
They will show you the video after your encounter, before you buy it at $48. They will have photos of you of the dolphin hug, and dolphin kiss available for purchase.

Originally posted by lwilliam
was this offered only on the last day (sea day)?
I LOVE Palo brunch.
It was on the Sea day. We booked the 10:30am seating & had extra good service because they weren't crowded at that time. You have the normal assortment of brunch items, as well as ordering your main brunch entree prepared fresh. Beef tenderloins, Eggs benedict, Eggs Florentine etc.

Originally posted by swclark
Apparently, a lot of people use velcro. We were on the wonder on 2/22 - 26 and there was already velcro on our closet doors from a previous visitor :)

There was velcro on our door also, but it diidn't hold. Even though the weather was good, we had alot of swells the last night. We finally wedged paper under the tracks.

Originally posted by robby69
The internet was very slow on ship, almost to the point of unusable. .

When we were on the Wonder Feb 22-26th, we had no problems with the internet and used it every day(unlimited package) to keep in touch with 17 DD.

Also checked credit card info,checking, etc everyday with no problems. I have cable modem at home(RoadRunner) and the speed on the computers on the Wonder was just a shade slower.

I wonder if other users have had any problems at the Internet Cafe lately.

Thanks for the report.:D

Hi Nick & Cindy! We didn't get a chance to meet you guys on board, but it was an awesome cruise! The weather was great & we can't wait to go back. We're thinking of doing a 7 Day Western in either Feb. or April 2005. We miss our staterooms! The only movement from the ship we felt was on the last night about 3 am. I guess the seas were getting rough. I've read that the 3 Day after us had quite an adventure! Take care! Cathie

Originally posted by cathie
Hi Nick & Cindy! We didn't get a chance to meet you guys on board, but it was an awesome cruise! The weather was great & we can't wait to go back. We're thinking of doing a 7 Day Western in either Feb. or April 2005. We miss our staterooms! The only movement from the ship we felt was on the last night about 3 am. I guess the seas were getting rough. I've read that the 3 Day after us had quite an adventure! Take care! Cathie

Cathie
We agree with you about that cruise. The only night we felt anything was the last night between 2-3:00 am. We are going to book next Presidents week(Feb 20,2005) for the Wonder.

We were on deck 6(6076) and loved the location(midship). We were also glad we didn't experience the rough seas like the 3 Day after us.:eek:

Originally posted by Nick@ VB+OKW
I wonder if other users have had any problems at the Internet Cafe lately.

On the Dec. 14th Wonder, I tried getting on the internet for about an hour before we departed CC. It was rainy and windy at that point, so I'm wondering if that had something to do with the service.

We too were on the 3/7 Wonder. The last night's seas were up to 13 feet. My DH went up to deck 9 for coffee at about 1 am. and said that it was quite windy and the water from the pools was pouring out all over the deck.

We were on Deck 7 and although walking got a little tricky, no one in my family got sea sick. Our closet doors stayed shut, too.
Our biggest problem was the creaking. Boy, was that noisy. I couldn't fall asleep until 3:30 am. and was exhausted when my wake-up call came at 6:30.

FYI: Our cabin steward told me that the crew was thrilled that we had nice weather for Castaway Cay. The previous two cruises missed it due to rough seas. I think they were happy to get us off the ship!

I was also on the 3/7 wonder. At first our closet doors kept slamming on the last night, but husband realized that the doors were reversed, he fixed them and they had velcro and that did the trick. It was a crazy night, I felt like I was on a ride, but luckily I did not get sea sick. There was so much creaking in the room though made it hard to sleep. I was just glad that it happened when we were in bed and not during the day when we would have been trying to walk.
Other then that the cruise was excellent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter