3 & 5 @ Epcot. Skip it or See it?

wolfie1

Earning My Ears
My kids are 3 & 5 and last year we skipped a bunch at Epcot 'cause I felt like it would have been over their head. Honest opinions needed please. Should I attempt these things with the kids this year or skip them again?

Journey into the Imagination
The Circle of Life
Cap't EO (wasn't there last year so we think we may go)
Ellen's Energy Adventure
O Canada

DH and I are going to try out Mission Space this year. We wussed out last year.

I think that age might enjoy Nemo and Friends at the Living Seas pavillion. They also have kidcot stations through the World Showcase. Ellen's Energy may be a bit long and scary with the dinosaurs. I wouldn't do Captain EO. You also have character meet and greet locations and Innovations with interactive activities for that age.

Journey into the Imagination - SEE IT. I think kids that age may be the few that appreciate it. ;)
The Circle of Life - See it if you have time. Short but educational film with Timon and Pumba. Wouldn't go out of my way to add it to your schedule.
Cap't EO (wasn't there last year so we think we may go) - not sure..haven't seen it.
Ellen's Energy Adventure - probably skip it. It is a long experience (45 minutes). We actually love it..(kids are 8 & 9) not sure if little ones would like it enough to sit through it for that amount of time.
O Canada - haven't seen it.

:)

Epcot is one of our favorites! My kids have been going since they were babies and they always enjoy Epcot. I would skip Ellen's Energy Adventure. The dinosaurs could scare them. O Canada may be boring to them. Other than that there is lots of fun things for little kids to do :thumbsup2

We love Epcot with the younger ones. That said, I would skip all or most of the items on your list. Journey into Imagination might be OK, but I think it depends on your children. There are periods of complete darkness and loud noises. We did not realize this and took our then 3-year-old, who was not happy and a bit scared. I have never seen the Circle of Life, but I would consider that for this age.

Good luck with Mission Space. We did that the first year when it was really intense. My husband hated it. I'd do it again though.

Thanks for the insight everyone. I'm going to add Journey into Imagination to our Touring Plan and skip the rest.

Maybe I'll take the little one to The Circle of Life while DH and DS ride Soarin' if she's still not tall enough by February to ride with us but I won't worry about it if we don't make it.

My kids are 3 & 5 and last year we skipped a bunch at Epcot 'cause I felt like it would have been over their head. Honest opinions needed please. Should I attempt these things with the kids this year or skip them again?

Journey into the Imagination
The Circle of Life
Cap't EO (wasn't there last year so we think we may go)
Ellen's Energy Adventure
O Canada

DH and I are going to try out Mission Space this year. We wussed out last year.

Is a lot of things for kids young and old in Epcot. O Canada is a film so they may get antsy there. Captain EO is loud but entertaining. Journey they will really like and Nemo and all the meet and greets and kid activities all thru WS and Ellens is so funny. Had thought they Closed Circle of Life??? :confused3

One thing to think about with O Canada (and the China movie) is that it's one of those Circlevision shows where there aren't any seats. So you will have to hold your child to see if there are others in the theater blocking their view.

I think that Ellen is a good choice if you need a nap (45 min show, slow moving car)...if they nod off before the dinosaurs. My 6 and 4 enjoyed Eo but mainly because someone has introduced the 6 year old to Michael Jackson and she likes to dance.

Proud Canadian here but Oh Canada makes me dizzy! And I think standing in the crowd with little ones would be a bit of a pain.

Last time we went DS was 4 and DD was 21 months and they LOVED Epcot. They loved the Nemo ride and the aquarium. We went there every evening. I certainly wouldn't skip Epcot. (We only went to Future World.)

My son was 4 and loved test track. Also, the boat rides in Mexico and Norway are great for little ones -- I would think they would like all of the World Showcase. There's also a cute miniature train I think near Norway my young ones liked.

We LOVE Epcot! Of our 8 day trip we're spending 3 full days there. I just wasn't sure about those specific rides.

My kids really like to meet characters and check stuff out. Rides are fun, but it's not their main focus.

I'm going to skip all of them except Journey to Imagine.

Thanks for all your replies.:)

Just got back from the first trip for my 5 & 7 year old. Epcot was the favorite park of my 5 year old. YMMV

I am afraid I am a rule breaker..I sit during any of those circle films..avoids the dizzy feeling and quite frankly standing that long is more tiring to me than walking

nemo and crush are all things for little kids
I think journey is good
ellen will be long and probably too much, tho i like ellens ride
living with the land is a boat ride..who doesnt like boat rides?

kid cot stations..lots of fun for kids, not so much for parents

then that whole building has kiddie stuff..storm stories(may be scary)

oh and the golf ball, cant forget that and all the performers along the way

Epcot is my kids favorite park - and has been the biggest hit on all four trips. The first trip's oldest child was barely 3. Second trip was 3.5 years old. Third trip had both a 3.5 and 6.5 year old. Fourth trip had a 2.5, 5.5, and 8.5 year old. In the first three trips, we only had one day at EP so we stuck to Future World. There is a lot for kids in the World Showcase as well, but due to limited time, we did just FW. This last trip, we did 2.5 days in Epcot and really needed more.

If you have a 40" child, think about Test Track and Soarin. Though my kids like Soarin, they absolutely love, love, love Test Track -even at 3 years old. We ride that at least 4 times every day we're at Epcot. My oldest loved Ellen on the last two trips, which surprised me since it's not really a little kid show. All three do well at it and no naps are taken in it - which was my intent with the 2 year old this last trip. I'd do Ellen if you have extra time or need some down time, but not work around your plans to squeeze it in. Also, Mission Space was loved by my 5 and 8 year old on this last trip. It's a 44" ride, so I'm not sure if that's a possibility for your older child. We stick to the green side, which is the more mild side. I'm very prone to motion sickness and had no problems on green side. (I skip Canada since it makes me feel sick).

My 2 year old adored Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth. Nemo actually scared him. The other two did fine on Nemo at 3, so it likely depends on the kid. I wouldn't start with Nemo just in case. They all enjoyed Captain EO - though it can be a bit scary during the first half of the movie for some young kids. Journey and Circle of life were fine for my 2 year old.

Don't forget about the Innovention buildings. My kids could spend an entire day in those two buildings alone.

On our second Epcot day, my husband booked over to Soarin' with the two older kids and everyone else at rope drop while I took my sweet time getting there with the 2 year old. That meant he had nearly 10 minutes chatting with Stitch since he was the only kid there. It also meant he got to meet the characters inside the Pavillion with no wait. By doing that, we weren't able to do rider swap with Soarin', but it was worth it to me. On our first day, we all went over Test Track immediately at rope drop and they let everyone skip the briefing which helped us ride it lots more times in a short amount of time.

Your 5 year old may enjoy the Kim Possible missions in World Showcase. My oldest loved them. My 5 year old wasn't into it, but many 5 year olds would be. Instead, she loved collecting stamps for her Duffy Bear cut-out. (Which they'll provide you with at any country). That let us do the countries as a group - with the younger two collecting their Duffy stamps and the older one doing the Missions. He did 7 missions over two days.

Imagination is good for your kids age; go check it out!

Energy Adventure: 3/4 of an hour ride! I would avoid it!

Captian EO: I saw it on You Tube, and skip it. Also, your kids might bee scared if you see it

Circle of Life: Boring. :P

O Canada: Gotta get some educational stuff at Epcot eh! See it.

Nemo would be a good ride, just close the kids eyes at the angler part!

We've been every year since our oldest was 7 moths old (now 6, 4, 3, and 18 mo) and we always spend two days at Epcot. The way I see it, our kids love doing anything outside the house like a trip to the mall, museums, etc... so they'll enjoy Epcot, even the "boring" parts. I've been proven right with our girls. They love it when my wife plays the Canada movie song in the car!

Is it as kid friendly as Magic Kingdom? No, but it's still better than being at home. We also break up the day with a meal at Coral Reef, Beirgarten, Tepan Edo, or Garden Grill.

Overall we plan our day around the things we want to do and bring the kids along for the ride. And everytime they end up having a blast at Epcot. Have fun!

Epcot was DD's second favorite park, after MK, at that age. :goodvibes

My recommendations:

Nemo/Seas/Turtle Talk
Journey Into Imagination
Pop-jet fountains between Future World and World Showcase
Kidcot stops
Gran Fiesta in Mexico
Innoventions (Where's the Fire? and The Great Piggy Bank Adventure)
Character Meets

and, if they won't be scared, Maelstrom in Norway

DS and DD were 3 and 5 on our first trip to Disney and they loved Epcot. There is so much for little kids at that age to do.

Bring them to see Turtle Talk with Crush. The kids get to sit up front and interact with Crush. Also, DS loved looking at the fish in the aquariums (although we have brought him to many aquariums).

They love Innovations. There are so many hands on educational activities even at that young age including the Great Piggy Bank Adventure and the Recyclying game (where you push around a recycle truck and dock it invarious stations). They also loved the velcro area decorating velcro frogs which you can take with you(those came in very handing at meals to entertain the kids).

My kids love Ellens Energy Adventure and were never afraid. Its funny, I often hear comments on how dark and scarey it could be for young kids and I never thought that from the first time I saw it.

We eat at Garden Grill usually every trip so we will ride Living with the Land right before dinner. That way, while eating, the kids will recognize parts of the ride.

In World Showcase, the kids love participating in the various activities...hula hooping outside of America, chalk drawing out side of England, watching the belly dancer outside of Morocco and the Guy with the chairs outside of France (while I have my Grand Marnier Slushie!!)

Although my kids normally do not drink soda, we do bring them in to Club Coll where they can try the different colas from around the world. They love most of them (except for the cola from Italy)

We always start our visit and end our visit with a ride on Spaceship Earth.

There are so many opportunities for character interaction at Epcot...often, I think that is what slows us up at Epcot.

Turtle Talk With Crush! They will love it! I.m not sure about height limits on Soarin', but my 6 year old grandson LOVED it! I love Epcot even more than the Magic Kingdom!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter