3,298 miles, 10 breweries, and 1 Mega Meet - a July '16 Trip Report *New 6/5/17 - Link to new TR!*

I'm so happy to hear about your positive CM experiences! Sometimes I feel like I read a lot of negative things, and I love to hear the positive too.

Sophia and Doc always have given me the heebeegeebees (I just goggled that to make sure I spelled it right!). Something about that unblinking stare...

Looking forward to your next update!

Toy Story is one of my favorite standby queues at WDW. Not worth the long wait (which is why we always do FP+), but it's so immersive.

I love the pictures of Peter and Doc McStuffins! I always love stories of characters spending extra time with kids and making it a great experience. All of the Disney Jr pictures look great!

The first cast member we saw, in the lot gave a bit of pixie dust right away, giving the kids stickers. This would be a trend for the whole trip as it felt like we couldn't go 10 feet without a CM wanting to give the kids stickers. I guess the whole #ThanksShanghai hasn't impacted the sticker budget.
:rotfl2: Good to know!

As we walked down Hollywood Boulevard I noticed how there were so many CMs out and welcoming everyone and everyone just seemed so happy. I noticed this a lot this trip and maybe just because I hear people talk about how the Disney service isn't as good as before and CMs aren't so great anymore - but we had so many super positive experiences this trip.
That's great to hear! :goodvibes

While we had a FP for TSMM at 9:25 I thought we would head right there and see what the standby wait time was - well, it was only 10 minutes so we figured why not ride it twice.
Wow, nice, 10 minutes! :hyper:

12_Kids%20with%20Stinky%20Pete.jpg
13_Olivia%20and%20Peter%20in%20claw%20machine.jpg
Cute pictures!

We then went to walk back to Judi and the girls who were still on line for meeting Sofia, but as, I guess she didn't have anyone with her, Doc McStuffins came out to Pete and led him back to her area and spent a bit of time. It was really cute
02_Doc%20coming%20to%20get%20Peter.jpg
Doc%20walking%20Peter.gif
Doc%20dancing%20with%20Peter.gif

03_Peter%20with%20Doc%201.jpg
04_Peter%20with%20Doc%202.jpg
Aw, sweet meet! :lovestruc

Always great to start the day with 2 rides on TSM! It's still one of our favorites too. I love the queue for that ride, and we got to check out the new track in July, which was cool because it's a little different than the original one.

Cute pics with the Disney Jr characters! We still haven't met Doc, but DS is showing a renewed interest in that show as well as Jake and Sofia (for awhile, he was all about Nick Jr and claimed not to like ANY Disney Jr stuff anymore) so maybe we can hit them up for photos in October.

Love getting multiple rides on Toy Story!

I love this set up for Disney Jr characters, so nice to be able to meet them and not got on H&V.

Great pics as always! Storm troopers are so cool in the parks! At least I think so

Looks like a great day at DHS so far!

I have only done TSMM once via standby and we waited 55 minutes. It was the first time we ever rode it and have FP'd it ever since.

Great photos with buzz and woody. That is one of my favorite meets from one of my favorite movies.

I haven't experienced the march yet since that started after I was at WDW but it does look like a nice little thing they do.

Your kids looked like they loved the Disney junior meets! My sister who is now 10 is past the Disney Junior phase but still likes meeting those characters.

We did have a good day at DHS - I keep reading people say that there is nothing to do there anymore but we still find a ton to do

It's definitely been a while since we had done TSMM standby - I was trying to take more pictures of the queue but the line was moving so well a lot of the photos came out blurry

I always love when it is more than one character meeting together

The march isn't anything super special and is pretty short, but it's a nice little thing - and where else can you see a brigade of Strom Troopers led by Captain Phasma ?

Last visit we missed a lot of the Disney Jr meets (we didn't realize they stopped meeting relatively early and the lines can close) so that was a pretty high priority - especially now that Emma is old enough to get into the meets and know who they were

Great start to the day!

Really awesome getting to do TSMM standby with a short wait. Great pic with Buzz & Woody!

That is so cute that Doc spent time with Peter! Lots of great pics with the Disney Jr characters!

I think the third track has really helped with TSMM waits - I mean, it isn't a walk on or anything but much better than in the past

To be honest, Doc wasn't the main priority but was a neat little interaction that happened - sometimes the unplanned things are the most memorable

Very productive day at Studios!! I suppose you can really do a lot of meet & greets if you get there early enough and aren't running for RnR/TOT!

I know not everyone likes FP+ but for us it is nice knowing we have at least most of the big rides we want to do reserved so we can take the time to do character meets and stuff rather than rushing around to do the rides or collect paper FP

I haven't ever ridden TSMM standby, so I've missed most of the cool queue. Maybe on our next trip we'll be there early enough.

I love Buzz and Woody. They're actually one of my favorite meets. I guess Emma wanted Judi's autograph!

How sweet of Doc McStuffins to spend some time with Peter. My granddaughter would be in heaven to have a meet like that!

We have an adr at Sci-Fi for our January trip, so I'm looking forward to your review. We haven't eaten there in about fifteen years.

The TSMM queue is pretty neat - and adding the third track has really helped with wait times I think

Well, who wouldn't want Judi's autograph? ;) I think she just wanted a card b/c the others had one but then didn't know what to do with it

It was such an unexpected moment with Doc - which I think made it even more memorable

Sci Fi is coming up - next update!

Love all the pics with all the kids and the characters, they are all SO cute. And LOVE the pic of Peter hugging Doc McStuffins (or Dr. FeelGood, as Pete would say). :rotfl2:

Thanks Heidi! Yeah, let's not think about my Pete actually meeting Dr. Feelgood ;)

So true about all of the stickers! I keep finding them in pockets of bags where the kids stashed them from this trip. Also agree about the ultra friendly CMs. Mind you, I've only had a few WDW CMs that have stood out as anything substandard, but people were super bubbly this time.

Great pics with the Disney Jr./Playhouse Disney characters! Looks like the kids loved this :)

Same thing has happened to us with the stickers - especially in stroller pockets! Good to know it wasn't just me imagining things or anything and that you noticed the extra positive CMs (and I am like you in not having witnessed many sub-standard CMS ... whenever I see Pete rant on the podcast about how CMs have gone downhill I wonder if I am just lucky or what in that we haven't experienced that)

Yeah, kids had a lot of fun meeting the Disney Jr characters - it's nice that they have them all lined up there together!

I'm so happy to hear about your positive CM experiences! Sometimes I feel like I read a lot of negative things, and I love to hear the positive too.

Sophia and Doc always have given me the heebeegeebees (I just goggled that to make sure I spelled it right!). Something about that unblinking stare...

Looking forward to your next update!

Thanks Elena - yeah, not sure if we are just lucky or what but we have always had very good CM experiences and this trip if anything they were more positive. yeah, some of the characters with the unblinking stare can be creepy ... I actually Jake seems even wierder as he has really wide eyes and the whites go all around his irises - so like he is spaced out or something. especially after seeing talking Mickey who does blink you really notice it with the ones who don't

BTW - I see in your countdown you are only a few days away from your next trip .... Have a great one!!!!

Toy Story is one of my favorite standby queues at WDW. Not worth the long wait (which is why we always do FP+), but it's so immersive.

I love the pictures of Peter and Doc McStuffins! I always love stories of characters spending extra time with kids and making it a great experience. All of the Disney Jr pictures look great!

The waits at TSMM have always been crazy - though I do think the third track has helped. Not a walk on or anything but we generally didn't see it much more than like 35 min wait

Fully agree - love when the characters do something special with the kids or get down lower so they are on their level, etc.

:rotfl2: Good to know!

That's great to hear! :goodvibes

Wow, nice, 10 minutes! :hyper:

Cute pictures!

Aw, sweet meet! :lovestruc

Not sure if we are just lucky but we've always ahd pretty good CM experience at WDW - just noticed that even more than past trips they seemed very positive and bubbly.

The third track has really helped with TSMM I think - more evidence of that coming up later!

Thanks! I think the Doc meet really stands out to me as it was unexpected

Always great to start the day with 2 rides on TSM! It's still one of our favorites too. I love the queue for that ride, and we got to check out the new track in July, which was cool because it's a little different than the original one.

Cute pics with the Disney Jr characters! We still haven't met Doc, but DS is showing a renewed interest in that show as well as Jake and Sofia (for awhile, he was all about Nick Jr and claimed not to like ANY Disney Jr stuff anymore) so maybe we can hit them up for photos in October.

I'll be honest, I don't know what tracks we got on ... it's been a while since we had ridden it (almost 2 years)

It's funny when my kid want to watch Nick Jr I get all like loyal to Disney and ask them "why don't we watch Disney Jr?" Olivia's been pretty into Elena of Avalor so that has helped but they do like some of the Nick Jr stuff (Paw Patrol, etc.)

Love getting multiple rides on Toy Story!

I love this set up for Disney Jr characters, so nice to be able to meet them and not got on H&V.

Great pics as always! Storm troopers are so cool in the parks! At least I think so

It is great that they have a number of the Disney Jr characters there in the same area for meets - and super glad we can skip H&V as that was the breakfast meal we liked the least

I think it is neat the Storm Troopers are out and about in the park (though I can see how those who don't like Star Wars would be annoyed since at times it is almost hard to avoid them)

Part 22: At Disney - Day 2: Disney's Hollywood Studios
A Frozen Sing-along and a Citizen's Brigade

As mentioned in my last update we tweaked plans by moving our Tower of Terror FP to later in the day. One of the reasons was we wanted to fit in the Frozen Sing-along and now was time to head over and hope to get into the 10:30 showing. We got in line at about 10;15 and there was definitely still room, but you can see there was a bit of a crowd already. You may also notice that Emma looks a bit tired in the first picture and that will become a relevant fact shortly (oooh, foreshadowing!). They did have screens up with some facts and quizes and things to keep people entertained.

01_In%20line.jpg
02_screens%201.jpg
03_Screens%202.jpg

This was our first time seeing the show since they moved to the current theater and we definitely had a better view this time (last time there was a pole/support in our way). Emma was into some selfies with Judi

04_View.jpg
05_Judi%20and%20Emma.jpg

Shortly after this Emma started melting down a bit and wouldn't keep quiet so I took her out of the theater for a bit. She settled down and wanted to go back in so we did - but it didn't last long and I just really didn't want to disturb anyone else and just ruin the experience for others so I decided to take her out, strap her in the stroller and walk her around a bit and after roughly 3 minutes she fell asleep .

So it was up to Judi to take the pictures and video of the show and I think she did a good job - starting with Ninja Anna and then ending with one of my favorite pictures from the trip of Olivia just losing herself in the moment (and in the "snow).

06_ninja%20Anna.jpg
07_Frozen%20case.jpg
08_Elsa%20with%20snow.jpg

In%20summer.gif

09_Olivia%20with%20snow.jpg

While they were enjoying the show I was wandering around a bit and ended up on Sunset Boulevard just in time to catch the start of a performance by the Citizens of Hollywood. Truth be told, I think I'd rather watch them than the Frozen Sing-Along so it all worked out in the end. I just love this style of humor and how well they involve the crowd and to me is just something very unique to Disney. It is also something I really hope doesn't leave once Hollywood Studios completes its transformation into Fantastical Intellectual Property Land.

I love all the Citizen's but this performance made me a huge Betty Shambles fan

Betty%20Shambles.gif

10_Citizens%201.jpg
12_Citizens%203.jpg
11_Citizens%202.jpg

After the show I explored the store there that had a bunch of Star Wars Merchandise (including a lot of Her Universe stuff if anyone is looking for that), then headed back to the exit of the theater, stopping for a quick selfie with Walt's (not frozen) Head.

13_Phil%20with%20Walts%20Head.jpg

We met up with the rest of the family and Emma started to wake up. We then headed to our next destination .. which was for lunch

Last edited:
Part 23: At Disney - Day 2: Disney's Hollywood Studios
A Sci-Fi Kinda Lunch

We were walking towards our lunch destination but stopped for a few minutes to watch the Star Wars Stage show while Judi took Peter to the bathroom. The show was cute and featured a lot of cool characters - though I wouldn't plan my day around it and also there is very little shade in the area, so be aware of that if it is a hot day ... later in the day we would discover a better place to watch the show from (ooooh ... more foreshadowing)

01_View%20of%20SW%20Stage%20Show.jpg

We were off to a new location for us - The Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant. We were a little early but no issue checking in. When we did I requested that we sit in a Car table and the hostess indicated that if you made an ADR you are guaranteed a car table - which is the first time I had heard that. Apparently I didn't take any pictures until we got to the table. The kids were pretty excited for this restaurant as they really liked the idea of sitting in a car to eat. Emma had actually gone back to sleep and they let us take her in the stroller and we just parked the stroller next to the 2nd row where Judi and I sat with Olivia and Peter in the front seat
02_view%20from%20car%20of%20kids.jpg

I loved the details of the place, like the speakers on the poll next to the car. Also, the details in the video like the advertisements for food and the weird movies - like this first one that came on about baby care in the future - such as suspending the babies to transport to their crib

03_speakers.jpg
04_floating%20baby.jpg

We ordered some drinks to start. I had a Key West beer from Florida Beer Company which was pretty solid - definitely refreshing on a hot day. We ordered one of the special Milk Shake they had which was a S'mores Milkshake and split it amongst us and the kids - it was pretty darn good, but was pretty darn rich. Judi got the Orbiting Oreos - which is an Oreo shake mixed with Godiva chocolate liqueur and a souvenir Glow Cube - this was really good!

05_beer.jpg
06_half%20milkshake.jpg
07_Judi%20drink.jpg

Judi and I decided to split the appetizer sampler and an entree. The sampler was pretty good and nice to try a few things. The onion rings were great as were the fried pickles. The wings tasted good but were like swimming in sauce (if we got them again I would ask for the sauce on the side). For our main we split the Smoked Turkey Sandwich - this was rather tasty - the avocado mayonnaise was really tasty (as you can see I got all the bacon as Judi doesn't eat it). We decided to get the cucumber salad instead of fries which was pretty good and nice that they have that option. The kids both got burgers - nothing special but did the trick. You can also see their half of the milkshake.
08_app%20sampler.jpg
11_half%20sandwich.jpg
10_kids%20burger.jpg

While eating we got to see some movies featuring Walt, and then some others that were really strange. I did notice a trend in theme of people traveling to other worlds and finding groups made up only of women who utilize men just for breeding and then kill them ... so guess during this time frame men were really scared of women having power.

09_walt.jpg
12_beach%20movie.jpg
13_creepy%20doll.jpg

While we were all pretty full I had heard really good things about the House-made Sci-Fi Candy Bar - White and Dark Chocolate Mousse layered with crispy Pearls sandwiched between Sponge Cake and dipped in Chocolate Gananche. This was really good - one of the best chocolate desserts I've had at Disney ... but super rich so we struggled to fit it

14_dessert%20bar.jpg

While waiting for the check the kids took some pictures of Judi and I. Not all of them came out great but we did get one of my favorites pictures from the trip

15_Judi%20and%20Phil.jpg

So overall, I think we have mixed thoughts on Sci-Fi ... I really liked the setting and found it very creative and something different. The food, while nothing super special was definitely solid and much better than the quick service burgers and stuff - though perhaps a tad on the expensive side. The kids weren't crazy about it and found the movies to be too creepy/scary (they just haven't gotten into that "fun-scary" thing). So we may try it again in the future but it's not a "must do" for us at this point.

Coming up next - Emma is still asleep so we do some more character meets!

TTFN

I have yet to do the Frozen sing a long in my last 3 trips to WDW. Maybe in January I will finally get around to it.

I am also a bad Diser and have never stopped to watch the citizens of hollywood. I really should as I have seen plenty videos of them.

Nice Selfie with Walt!

I really enjoyed Sci-Fi when we did it. I didn't know they had fried pickles and I love fried pickles, looks like I will have to try those next time I eat there. I agree with your review of it though. The atmosphere is great but the food isn't anything special.

While they were enjoying the show I was wandering around a bit and ended up on Sunset Boulevard just in time to catch the start of a performance by the Citizens of Hollywood. Truth be told, I think I'd rather watch them than the Frozen Sing-Along so it all worked out in the end. I just love this style of humor and how well they involve the crowd and to me is just something very unique to Disney. It is also something I really hope doesn't leave once Hollywood Studios completes its transformation into Fantastical Intellectual Property Land.
Regrettably on my trips I have always passed by their performances. Someday I need to just send my family off somewhere (maybe the Frozen sing a long!) and I'll stay to watch. I have seen video online and they really do seem entertaining. I hope they stay as well.

So overall, I think we have mixed thoughts on Sci-Fi ... I really liked the setting and found it very creative and something different.
That's pretty much my feeling on it too. I ate there once 6 years ago and haven't been back since. It wasn't a bad experience, just OK. However I didn't try that chocolate bar dessert and I have a family of chocoholics, so it might be worth going back for that!

I was going to say I was sorry about you missing out on Frozen, but seems like you found a better alternative! ;)

I'm sure you were glad to try a new restaurant, even if you don't end up going there again any time soon. Love the pic of you and Judi!

As we walked down Hollywood Boulevard I noticed how there were so many CMs out and welcoming everyone and everyone just seemed so happy. I noticed this a lot this trip and maybe just because I hear people talk about how the Disney service isn't as good as before and CMs aren't so great anymore - but we had so many super positive experiences this trip.

I definitely feel like the CM's have been fantastic - haven't seen any slippage at all. Love the stickers and Aria certainly enjoys them too.

We then went to walk back to Judi and the girls who were still on line for meeting Sofia, but as, I guess she didn't have anyone with her, Doc McStuffins came out to Pete and led him back to her area and spent a bit of time. It was really cute

That is really cute! I love Doc there (we have a fantastic meet with her in May)

Shortly after this Emma started melting down a bit and wouldn't keep quiet so I took her out of the theater for a bit. She settled down and wanted to go back in so we did - but it didn't last long and I just really didn't want to disturb anyone else and just ruin the experience for others so I decided to take her out, strap her in the stroller and walk her around a bit and after roughly 3 minutes she fell asleep .

Aw poor Emma, she must have been exhausted to fall asleep so early!! And poor you for missing out on the show! BTW, what great "crowds" you experienced this morning!

the hostess indicated that if you made an ADR you are guaranteed a car table - which is the first time I had heard that.

Interesting, didn't know that

actually gone back to sleep and they let us take her in the stroller and we just parked the stroller next to the 2nd row where Judi and I sat with Olivia and Peter in the front seat

How nice!

ordered one of the special Milk Shake they had which was a S'mores Milkshake and split it amongst us and the kids

YUm and good idea to split it

Judi got the Orbiting Oreos - which is an Oreo shake mixed with Godiva chocolate liqueur and a souvenir Glow Cube - this was really good!

Again sounds delicious!

So overall, I think we have mixed thoughts on Sci-Fi ... I really liked the setting and found it very creative and something different. The food, while nothing super special was definitely solid and much better than the quick service burgers and stuff - though perhaps a tad on the expensive side. The kids weren't crazy about it and found the movies to be too creepy/scary (they just haven't gotten into that "fun-scary" thing). So we may try it again in the future but it's not a "must do" for us at this point.

This is my take on it too. The videos are strange for the most part and food is pretty good but still burgers and sandwiches. it's pretty low on my list of places to visit although I can see maybe doing it again in a few years. Maybe. :-D

I love that picture of Olivia in the "snow" at the end of the Frozen show!! She looks like she's loving the snowfall.

I've never been to Sci-Fi Dine-In, but the food looks good. I can understand why it's not a must-do, though ... if the food's not special and the kids don't love the movies, I understand skipping it in the future ... at least until they get a little older.

I've heard the addition of the third track on TSMM has helped tremendously with standby times. Glad to see that was the case with you guys and you were able to hop on first thing in the morning.

Lots of character meet and greets! Very nice. I enjoy the Woody and Buzz meeting place mainly for the A.C. But the photo spots along the way are pretty cute, too.

It's been years since I've eaten at Sci Fi; I don't even think those items were on the menu the last time I was there. That S'mores milkshake and candy bar dessert look really tasty. However, I agree with you on the mixed feelings about the place. It's really difficult eating there with kids. Whether it's the movies being played, having to sit away from them (my kid would have caused a mess being unsupervised like that. If we're not catching at least 3 food items a meal somethings amiss.) or the darkened room, I could see the dining experience being hard.
You and Judi just have to plan to return to Disney and hit up Trader Sam's and Sci Fi sans kids. :rotfl:

Late to the game but all caught up. Really enjoyed the coverage of the drive down and can't wait to see more Mega Meet stuff!

I love watching the Citizens of Hollywood and we stop for them every chance we get! I also hope they don't end up going away.
We haven't been to Sci-Fi in years, DH isn't a fan :( My kids don't really remember it but I think they'd like it if I could ever talk him into going again lol. That dessert looks awesome!

Love the Solo/Chewbacca shirt! Maybe have to write them in ... :)

Enjoying reading about all your adventures so far!

I've read that the food at Sci Fi has gotten a lot better lately (of course, last time I went was probably 2009) so I'm eager to try it again soon. :)

I love that picture of Olivia in the "snow" at the end of the Frozen show!! She looks like she's loving the snowfall.

I've never been to Sci-Fi Dine-In, but the food looks good. I can understand why it's not a must-do, though ... if the food's not special and the kids don't love the movies, I understand skipping it in the future ... at least until they get a little older.

Thanks Sarah - that is one of my favorite pictures as well

The food was definitely solid - I think it is the atmosphere that makes it special so if you don't like that aspect, the food isn't good enough to covercome that

I've heard the addition of the third track on TSMM has helped tremendously with standby times. Glad to see that was the case with you guys and you were able to hop on first thing in the morning.

Lots of character meet and greets! Very nice. I enjoy the Woody and Buzz meeting place mainly for the A.C. But the photo spots along the way are pretty cute, too.

It's been years since I've eaten at Sci Fi; I don't even think those items were on the menu the last time I was there. That S'mores milkshake and candy bar dessert look really tasty. However, I agree with you on the mixed feelings about the place. It's really difficult eating there with kids. Whether it's the movies being played, having to sit away from them (my kid would have caused a mess being unsupervised like that. If we're not catching at least 3 food items a meal somethings amiss.) or the darkened room, I could see the dining experience being hard.
You and Judi just have to plan to return to Disney and hit up Trader Sam's and Sci Fi sans kids. :rotfl:

Third track has definitely helped - and more evidence in the next update to come! (even more foreshadowing!)

I like that they have those photospots for something to do on a line that can get pretty long and slow moving

I seriously am up for an adults only trip - I felt that way after doing Disneyland as well. Don't get me wrong, I don't want them all to be adults only but I think it would be fun to try. If they do wind up doing something for the DISBoards 20th anniversary next June and we can swing it I think doing it Adults Only would be fun

Late to the game but all caught up. Really enjoyed the coverage of the drive down and can't wait to see more Mega Meet stuff!

Thanks for catching up! A few more updates to get through this DHS day and then more Mega Meet stuff coming for the next 2 days!

I love watching the Citizens of Hollywood and we stop for them every chance we get! I also hope they don't end up going away.
We haven't been to Sci-Fi in years, DH isn't a fan :( My kids don't really remember it but I think they'd like it if I could ever talk him into going again lol. That dessert looks awesome!

Yeah for another Citizens of Hollywood fan!!! I would definitely try Sci-Fi again but maybe in a few more years when the kids are older

Love the Solo/Chewbacca shirt! Maybe have to write them in ... :)

Enjoying reading about all your adventures so far!

I've read that the food at Sci Fi has gotten a lot better lately (of course, last time I went was probably 2009) so I'm eager to try it again soon. :)

Thanks! I got a lot of comments about that shirt - including from CMs saying they'd love to vote for them! And coming up in a bit you will see that Chewbacca really liked the shirt! :D

The food at Sci-Fi was definitely solid - I just think it wasn't good enough to overcome not liking the setting and the kids weren't crazy about it. It isn't the cheapest option too - maybe in a few years we will try it again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter