• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

3/2/2003 Wonder Cruise, Who's Going?

SO GLAD I found you!!! We just booked our family of 7 (Mom, Dad, 17,16,15,14 & 8) on the Mar.2 sailing! It's our first Disney cruise, but have done Carnival several times and last year Royal Carribean. But we are such Disney freaks, this is the next logical step I guess! We booked 2 rooms at the Comfort inn for $169/ room to use the great water facilities at Atlantis (and the Dig) at the Nassau port. DH and I saw the Dig a few years ago, (snuck in) and also looked at the water park. AWESOME!!! So we wanted to do it all this time with the kids. And when you add up the Disney excursion price for all of us...it isn't that much more to do it this way. ..and we get the waterpark. Gonna order room service for sandwiches the night before to take with us too....
We'll be at Pinnochio's at 3:15- can't wait! -Gail:bounce:

Kimball - the documents say that men should wear a jacket and women a dress or pantsuit to Tritons. So not really "formal" but dressier than the other 2. Similar to what they want at Palo's, I think.

Gail - so glad to have you with us! YOu certainly have a crew. So is your 8 year old a girl or a boy? I have a 7-1/2 yr old girl and almost 6yr old boy. It'll be nice for them to meet someone in their age group prior to being in the clubs.

I'm going to try an remember to get on the Port Web cam today to watch the Wonder leave.

Georgianne

Thank You Georgianne! My 8-yr-old is a girl -Sammi- you'll know her by her long white blond hair! She just turned 8. The older kids all know about this cruise but we are keeping it secret from her. She just thinks we're flying down to Florida to visit friends we made on the last cruise! They have a huge house and live right in Cocoa Beach. Unfortunately, they can't come with us:(

Hey Paul- My oldest daughter is 17 1/2 too! I'd think they look and act enough like adults that the beach thing wouldn't be a problem.

Gail - So is Sammi in second grade? My Abby also has long blond hair (not white, though). That would be nice for them to each have a friend right away. I'll tell her about Sammi so she can be on the lookout for her when we get on the ship. Since you've been on cruises before with your kids, do you have any tips I should know about cruising with them, at least at this age?

Is Sammi planning on getting her hair braided? Abby's looking forward to doing that on the ship.

Georgianne

Well...I'm planning on having it done for her...she doesn't like having it pulled but I think it will keep it out of her way. In fact I think we'll try to get it done the first day!
As far as other tips...the kids clubs are great and the kids never want to leave, but I found it nice to go in with my camera during their activities so we'd have photos of what they were doing to remember the trips. Even with the older ones, we would show up and photograph a bit and the counselers just got used to us coming in there, and the kids don't mind a bit.
Lie out on a dark deck at night and watch for shooting stars...it's a blast...we make it a family thing.
Get up early to watch you come into port...pretty interesting.
Schedule more adult time for DH and you- Surial Bath here we come!
Hope this helps -Gail

Gail just sent you a PM about the great comfort inn rates...

the star watching sounds wonderful and the pics during kids club also is a great idea....

I can't wait to try the surreal bath and really want to try a massage for my self....I can't wait....we are trying to keep it a surprise from all 4 of our kids....We had a friend that just admitted telling her kids we would be joinin them in WDW....I'm hoping our kids won't believe it....We shall see soon....

Pinnochio's here we come....

Hi, My family of four is going and our best friends are going too. They are a family of four too.

We have never been on the cruise. We are so excitied. We have been together to Disney 3 times. We love it.

Anything good or important we need to know???:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Thanks, Sharon

Make Spa and Palo's ressies first thing then plan to meet the other DISers at Pinocchio's at 3:15 for a quick intro before the lifeboat drill.....

Hi, Is it really worth spending money on a dinner in a restaurant if all of our meals are already included.

What is so special and so great about it.:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Well, I don't know from personal experience having never cruised before, but Palo sure sounds nice from all the other posts and for just an extra $5 plus tip a person, it hardly counts as extra ( if you add it to what we've already paid for the cruise!) So we are going to try it - make it a special date away from the kids for one dinner.

On a side note - It is snowing here AGAIN! I am so tired of this stuff, I cannot wait to get on that boat. I guess it'll make the vacation that much better to escape this mess.

Sharon - what ages are your kids?

Georgianne

Snow? How about -20 PLUS wind chill? Even my icicles have icicles!

My boy was suppose to move to Orlando Sunday. He's Jeep broke down two hours from home. Had to tow him home. Took us 3 hours. He's toes got a mild case of frost bite.

Why is time moving so slowly?

Paul

Originally posted by mommysharon
My kids are two boys 8 and 5.

I think there's an age restriction on Palo. 18 years and older, I believe?

San

I've read where couples have spent upwards of $50 at Palo's....DH is considering not doing it because of the additional cost.....does anybody have any realistic cost above the $10 for 2 people one would spend at Palo's...

San, you are right, there is an age restriction at Palo; one must be 18 or over.

zurgswife : When I went to Palo with my husband in August, we had to pay the $5 fee. Of course, the tip also adds up, but we thought that it was worth it. However, I wouldn't do Palo every nite because you still are expected to tip your server, the assistant server, etc. even if you don't show up to dinner.

Any other questions, just feel free to ask!

Time to jump in here. My wonderful in-laws are taking my wife and I with our 2 girls (8 and 6) on the 3/2 cruise. For the four of us this is a first ever cruise.

Also, jusy by coincidence - we have friends going on the same trip. their son is 8 and daughter 5.

Hair-braiding is on my girls list - I'm considering limiting them to about 20 braids - is that reasonable?

Would someone bring me up to speed about why hair braiding is such a big deal? Can't any salon do that? Enquiry minds want to know!:teeth:

Paul

Speaking of kids....does anybody have any kids going in these age groups....

DD...11 sixth grade
DS....10 fourth grade
DS ...9 Third grade
DD...5 Kindergarten....

Can't wait....it's getting close.....I"VE GOT TO START PACKING!!!!

Hi, My kids are 5 and 8. Both boys.

I am starting my packing too. Got the boys some new dress pants the other day.

I can't wait. I hope the weather is good???

Sharon
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :sunny:

I think I've mentioned my kids:
Abby is 7 in 2nd grade
Trent is 5 in Kindergarten

Looks like there's a few kids in this age group now.

Paul - The hair braiding could be done anywhere, but it's such a Caribbean thing to do that it makes it a special memory of the trip. They can keep them in for some time.

I have the kids clothes piled in the guest room along with bathing suits and other stuff I want to take. I also bought a few new things for me to wear!

Georgianne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter