2yo getting his tonsils out

LisaNJ25

DIS Veteran<br><font color=aqua>I paid $300 back i
My just turned 2yo has to get his tonsils out next month. has anyone dealt with this at a young age and have any tips/suggestions?

The dr is going to do it in the hospital and not at the surgery center because of his age.

How miserable is his recovery going to be? The dr said to try to get him indoors or 2 weeks.. more quiet time playing with toys or watching tv vs going outside..
:lmao: The dr has never seen him and my 3yo in actions.. this should be good.

Hi there! It's so scary to have your little one go through surgery . . . hugs!!!
We've never had a tonsilectomy (sp?), but my youngest had open heart surgery at 18 months--and he was bouncing up & down in the hospital crib just 6 hours after surgery, completely hooked up to a chest drainage tube--not to mention the 7 inches of stitches down his chest! My point is, they have amazing healing powers at that age!!! We took him home a mere 36 hours after surgery (the cardiologist was pleasantly surprised by his recovery--we were anticipating at least 3 days in the hospital). When we got home, he ran around the living room laughing!!! (He had never been able to take more than 10 consecutive steps before without getting dizzy and falling down, so he actually felt better than ever!) He was sore, of course, but we kept him medicated (as directed by the Dr.) and kept him at home for a few weeks--away from "germy places" (like the grocery store). But he was very "active" at home, in spite of instructions for "lots of rest" (and he has a brother 16 months older than him, too--they have always been "wild ones"--and I couldn't very well tie them down!!! :). Hopefully your little one will have a quick recovery, as well!
Sending lots of prayers and magical wishes your way!

Hi there! It's so scary to have your little one go through surgery . . . hugs!!!
We've never had a tonsilectomy (sp?), but my youngest had open heart surgery at 18 months--and he was bouncing up & down in the hospital crib just 6 hours after surgery, completely hooked up to a chest drainage tube--not to mention the 7 inches of stitches down his chest! My point is, they have amazing healing powers at that age!!! We took him home a mere 36 hours after surgery (the cardiologist was pleasantly surprised by his recovery--we were anticipating at least 3 days in the hospital). When we got home, he ran around the living room laughing!!! (He had never been able to take more than 10 consecutive steps before without getting dizzy and falling down, so he actually felt better than ever!) He was sore, of course, but we kept him medicated (as directed by the Dr.) and kept him at home for a few weeks--away from "germy places" (like the grocery store). But he was very "active" at home, in spite of instructions for "lots of rest" (and he has a brother 16 months older than him, too--they have always been "wild ones"--and I couldn't very well tie them down!!! :). Hopefully your little one will have a quick recovery, as well!
Sending lots of prayers and magical wishes your way!

Aweeee that is so much for your little one to go though at such a young age.. how is he doing now?

I have had no luck with kids and surgery lately. My 3yo had surgery a year and a half ago to have an extra toe removed.. and my 8yo had ear tubes put in last month. They only one who has escaped a surgical procedure is my teenager.. but the year isnt up yet.

My just turned 2yo has to get his tonsils out next month. has anyone dealt with this at a young age and have any tips/suggestions?

The dr is going to do it in the hospital and not at the surgery center because of his age.

How miserable is his recovery going to be? The dr said to try to get him indoors or 2 weeks.. more quiet time playing with toys or watching tv vs going outside..
:lmao: The dr has never seen him and my 3yo in actions.. this should be good.

My 3 year old just had his adenoids out on Aug 15th and had no problems at all. We had a really hard time keeping him quiet and not too active. He wanted to eat and play as soon as we got home following his surgery.
(Around 2 1/2 hrs after!) He's a really tough kid and it didn't phase him.
We kept him off of his bike and out of sports for around a week and didn't
let him play rough. He also wasn't allowed to swim for 2 weeks.
A couple of my friend's kids have had both tonsils and adenoids out a young ages and were pretty quiet the first day but were back to normal within a couple of days. There is usually a little more pain with swallowing when they get their tonsils out. Have lots of popsicles, jello and clear fluids to soothe his throat. Kids seem to recover so much faster than we do!!
Good luck

Wow, you've definitely been through a lot with your kids lately! I'm really hoping this goes well for him (and you!)
My little guy is doing really well! He has a pacemaker, so he'll have surgery every 5-7 years when the "battery runs down", but that sure beats the "alternative"!!! I'm so grateful for modern medicine--but that doesn't make the pain of a child's surgery go away, does it?
Hopefully you have some people to help & support you? Maybe family/friends/ect. to listen to your tears, bring casseroles, and vaccuum your floor while you deal with "things"???
Good luck! I'll be looking for a positive report! :)

Both of my boys had their tonsils and adenoids out before they were 2. The surgery went well and they kept them overnight for observation. Keep lots of Popsicles on hand! :thumbsup2

My 2.5 yr old had her tonsils/adenoids out this past June. Stayed overnight because of sleep apnea history. Was wanting to eat a sandwich later that night. We kept her indoors for most of the week (summer/hot and she wasn't drinking as much as she should). One tip from here would be to make sure you have a medicine dropper on hand for when you go home to put water in. DD did not want to drink (obviously because it was sore to swallow) and the dropper helped us direct the first few swallows into her mouth so she would feel ok to continue with a cup. Watch out for 5-7 days later though when the real pain starts (scabs falling off apparently). DD was crying for 1 1/2 days. She had surgery the Mon afternoon and the following sat nite/sun morn she began to wake up crying. Hope this helps! If any other questions let me know!

My son was a little over 1 years old, and had to have his removed, as they were so big he couldn't eat very well, I had three children that had to have them removed.
First one was the middle child she was only 3 at the time, she did okay, but she had to
Be run back a few times to the hospital, as she would bleed from her surgery, one time was only a little bit but the second time she had a lot, they put some in her mouth and she was okay after that.

The second child was my son, he went in after one month after my daughter, he was the youngest one, he was only a little over a year old.
I had the dr. look at them, when I took my daughter in to have her check-up, hers was removed because she was sick all the time,
He took one look at my son, and said this is the other reason we remove them, because he can’t eat or breathe very well.
So he took them out one month later. He did easier then the other two, you couldn’t even really tell after two days. He didn’t cry he was so good, I think the younger they are the better they do.

The next child was my oldest she went in 6 years after the first one, she was 16 or 17. she had the hardest time she was in so much pain, and I know it took her at least a week before she bounced back.
She didn’t want any one over, she wanted to be left alone, she was sick to her stomach, as well as she was in a lot of pain.
The only bad thing was she had surgery to remove her adenoids and put in ear tubes in when she was 6 or 7, and the dr. at the time, said he will see her back in 10 years to remove her tonsils, he was mad because the insurance company wouldn’t let him take the tonsils at the same time.
Even when she was 16 or 17 the insurance company didn’t want to pay to have them out as she didn’t have strep throat three time in one year, he had to find other dr. that would sign that she needed them out too. Thank god we don’t have that insurance company any more.

I think they do better if they are younger, but any time any one has a child having surgery, or course you are going to be scared, but the younger the child is the quick they will bounce back.

All my children left within a few hours of them waking up. It was a thing where they went in, and left the same day.
I think that they should at least stay over night just for observation, only because of the youngest daughter bleeding; it was scarily to see the blood in her mouth, but all in all, my children are all doing so much better heath wise, then before they had them removed.

You do need to make sure they drink, or eat Popsicles.

DS was 3 when he had his adnoids and tonsils removed. The surgery was only about 15 mins long. The hardest thing for me was leaving him on the surgery table. I was crying so hard. Anyway, DS did fine with the surgery and was able to go home the same day. That night he slept a lot and didn't want to eat or drink anything. It is really important to make sure you get some fluids into him. Ice pops worked the best for DS. He didn't eat solids for about 3 days because he said he was in so much pain. We were told to not give him any ice cream or shakes and not to give him anything red. So if you are going to give him Jello or ice pops make sure they aren't red. He was up and playing the next day, but not his normal self. It took him a good week to get back to normal. I tell you I am so glad we had the surgery done. He is like a dfifferent kid! No more sleep apnea or snoring and his speech has improved drastically. He sleeps so much better too. DS is 4 now and doesn't remember any of it! Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter