2year old tips for dinner?

Mary Lynne

Earning My Ears
Anybody have any tips for entertaining a 2 year old during dinner? My little guy has a very short attention span:rolleyes:

Any other tips would be wonderful also.

I know what you mean. I have a 3 yr old dd who never does well with a long dinner. I had the option of taking her to the club. By the end of the cruise I gave her the option of eating in the club or eating with mommy. She always choose the club to my relieve. She enjoyed dinner and I enjoyed dinner. I know that doesn't help you with your 2 year old. THey do have colors and a coloring sheet each night. You might want to bring other things for your child to play with. The servers were real good about bringing her food out as soon as it was ready.

Our almost 2 year old is usually entertained by coloring (for a while) and then by his trucks & cars. He has a habit of pulling on tablecloths, so i hope that isn't a problem for him. He also once colored on the tablecloth at a nice restaurant :rolleyes:

He also likes stickers. And a plastic slinky seems to be a good emergency toy! I'm just planning to bring a bag of stuff :)

We bring a backpack with some quiet games (like electronic Mr. Potato Head or Candyland) and travel magnadoodle with us for our twins. Our waiters have more fun than the kids-they usually haven't seen the newer toys. I also ask them to bring out their food asap, it usually comes half way through our appetizer. Then I have dessert delivered early, they like to linger over their Mickey Bars.

My 2 yr old threw me for a loop on the cruise.....he went on a fruit eating jag............ate nothing but fruit for the cruise! By day 3, the waiter had a big bowl of fruit all ready for us as soon as we sat down. Well, he was happy!

We also made reservations at Flounders Reef most nights about an hour after dinner started. That gave my ds time to eat with us, enjoy watching what was happening in the dining rooms, and then, just as dessert was served and he was antsy, I took him to Flounders for a couple hours. Ah, yes, dessert and coffee was my relax time! It was also a way for us to enjoy the shows without him being a distraction to us or others.......however, we took him to Disney Dreams, and he absolutely loved that show!!!!!

the waiters are pretty good too at trying to entertain the little ones at dinner, at least from what I have noticed.

I just bought my 4 & 2 yr old the Color Wonder markers and paper. The markers work only on special Color Wonder paper, for mess-free art work. This way the girls can color anytime and anywhere with no mess. Not only does my 2 yr old not draw in the lines but she is thrilled not to color on the paper just around it. I love my little artists but it can be embarrassing when the tablecloths are ruined.

thank you everyone for the tips!! Every new idea helps.

shellgoodman - the color wonder markers are a great idea. I will definatly be getting some before our cruise. This will be great for my son and husband because my husband tends to get upset by our little "accidents"
:p

please keep the great ideas coming!!!

shellgoodman - I'm sure we will see each other around the Mickey pool!!! Just look for the other 2 year old who doesn't share. (your post on the other thread had me lol) Are you driving to the port? We are just south of you in Columbus, GA. We will be driving because my husband does not fly.

This thread brought back amusing memories of our 7-day cruise. We were on the "kids" rotation (even tho' we don't have any, that put us at Parrot Cay on Key West night so we could skip it for Palo). Watching the little ones provided entertainment for us every night! There was one little boy of about two or three who obviously thought that dinner went on too long for his tastes. Each night we would watch him trying to wiggle his way out of his chair (their table was across the aisle from us). A few times he made it, and he'd head for the hills...we loved to watch how far he got before a bigger family member swooped in to abort his escape attempt. Poor little guy, he never made it too far! He was such a little cutie.
Barb
Visit the Platinum castaway Club at: www.Castawayclub.com

When our daughter was two, my husband and I took turns on "roaming duty" - I like appetizers, so he was "on duty" from the time we sat down through the appetizer, and I took over during the main course. This meant that each of us had quiet time during the meal. The person "on duty" would be responsible for everything - cutting up food, organizing toys, and, most importantly, "roaming" as our daughter liked to get up every fifteen minutes or so to wander around. Taking her out of a dining room for five minutes would guarantee another fifteen minutes or more of peaceful playing at the table. It worked like a charm, and now that she's three, she's happy to sit for an hour before she needs to "roam around"! Restaurants were also the time she got to have something "special" like french fries or Coke (mixed with water) that she's usually not allowed at home. This would keep her attention better at the table.

Karen

Mary Lynne, we are definitely driving because flights with my kids do not go too smoothly. Can you imagine that a 9 hr drive is better for us? We put on video after video in the car and it is a godsend. We don't hear a peep from them.

We are leaving Friday at noon after we pick up my 4 yr old from pre-k. See you on the road in 11 days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter