2nd Bag- I Have An Idea Will this work?

megveg

Drink up me hearties, yo ho!
Okay.

I am planning on bringing two bags to Disney.
One full of clothes and another full of food for the week.
Out of the two bags, the smaller one fits inside the bigger one.
Im flying Delta after May 1 and I would be charged $25 for a second bag.
I have thought about shipping a box down to our resort but if this works I won't have to.

Here's My question;

If I check two bags (1 free, 1 for $25) on the way down, can I put my smaller bag inside my bigger bag and check only one bag on the way back?

I figure shipping 1 or 2 boxes to FL from MA is going to be more expensive than the $25 second checked bag fee.

Anyone know if this is allowed?

thanks so much! :3dglasses

Your single bag on the return flight can contain any legal item, including another bag, just watch the weight limit.

Bill From PA

Sure. Just be careful not to have an overweight bag which will cost you even more than your second bag.:goodvibes

I could see packing an empty duffel bag, bring souvenirs home.

Why pay $25 to check a suitcase of food? Just buy food at WDW. You can rent a car, use a car service with a grocery stop or just use a delivery service.

Pack too much food and you'll go overweight. A suitcase that can hold food may not be collapsible and easily fit in another suitcase. It would suck to pay $25 to check an empty suitcase coming home.

I could see packing an empty duffel bag, bring souvenirs home.

Why pay $25 to check a suitcase of food? Just buy food at WDW. You can rent a car, use a car service with a grocery stop or just use a delivery service.

Pack too much food and you'll go overweight. A suitcase that can hold food may not be collapsible and easily fit in another suitcase. It would suck to pay $25 to check an empty suitcase coming home.

We use Garden grocer. They charge $12 for their service and will deliver food to your hotel. You need not be there when it arrives. Of course I also ship some incidentals down via UPS for about $12 from PA.

Thanks, I think I'm going to do this then.

$25 bucks to transport the food I need rather then spending money on a car, or having to use a grocery service is fine for me:)

Check your airline CoC. You can probably check a box. An empty box will probably weigh less then your empty suitcase. If you buy too many stuffed animals pay the $25 to check the box for your return flight, otherwise just discard it at WDW.

I don't think you're main suitcase will have room for your stuff, and your smaller bag and stay under 50 lbs.

UPDATE: I got a promocode forUPS through my dad's work so were shipping a box down for $15 :)

Just wondering what kind of food is so important that it has to be brought with you? I may bring a bag of almonds and some cheese sticks to tide me over until a meal - but I don't eat cereal in the room or make sandwiches. That's why it's a vacation!

well im packing all my food for the Week, im not buying anything inthe parks,its about saving money and enjoying my vacation rather then worrying about oh is this food stop in the budget or not. im 18 and i have a crappy job so what ever i can do to save money i will, im buying 75 bucks of food from Sams Wholesale Club and sending it down.

Hey we're bringing some stuff down too. We will have a car and go to the grocery store, but my grocery store here is much cheaper on some things so I'd rather bring them. Even if it only saves me $30, that money can be used for something else...like a TL ticket!

well im packing all my food for the Week, im not buying anything inthe parks,its about saving money and enjoying my vacation rather then worrying about oh is this food stop in the budget or not. im 18 and i have a crappy job so what ever i can do to save money i will, im buying 75 bucks of food from Sams Wholesale Club and sending it down.
It seems to me that having GardenGrocer deliver food to our hotel ($10 service charge) is a whole lot easier and cheaper than packing food into a box and shipping that box on the plane ($25 plus cost of packing materials). Unless you have specific dietary needs/ allergies (even many of those can be taken care of by GardenGrocer), you are probably better off just ordering ahead and having it magically show up in your hotel room.

Now when the second bag was free, I could see sending down a box full of food as a potentially reasonable idea; but now that there is an extra bag charge for it, I expect it would be more expensive than delivery or even perhaps paying the on-site mark-up :scared1: (heaven forbid). Shipping is gonna be more expensive and less convenient than delivery, IMHO.

OP is shipping the grocery items, via UPS, for $15. The OP is buying her food at Sams Club ($75). My guess is Garden Grocer will be charging a lot more then an extra $5 for the same items.

Sounds like a reasonable way for a budget trip.

It seems to me that having GardenGrocer deliver food to our hotel ($10 service charge) is a whole lot easier and cheaper than packing food into a box and shipping that box on the plane ($25 plus cost of packing materials). Unless you have specific dietary needs/ allergies (even many of those can be taken care of by GardenGrocer), you are probably better off just ordering ahead and having it magically show up in your hotel room.

Now when the second bag was free, I could see sending down a box full of food as a potentially reasonable idea; but now that there is an extra bag charge for it, I expect it would be more expensive than delivery or even perhaps paying the on-site mark-up :scared1: (heaven forbid). Shipping is gonna be more expensive and less convenient than delivery, IMHO.

I agree. The service fee might be cheaper than the shipping, but the items I can get are much cheaper than what I'd pay at Garden Grocer.

Last night, I researched the Garden Grocer website to see what items I could order (yes I should get a life ;) ) and if it would be really more expensive to use them, or if I should pack a few items in my son's luggage and supplement at the resort store, or rent a car and go to the grocery store. Well . . . for every item that I thought was reasonable and only a little over a usual grocery price, I would find a case of water costing $8.00 (when I can get it for $3.85) and a 12 pack of pop for $4.59 when I can get it for $3.33. My first thought was no way, what a rip off. :cutie: Then I realized I was only looking at an extra cost of $10 - 15. over what I could get the stuff for, plus the $12. fee. :goodvibes Truthfully, my vacation time is worth something.

Now I'm not saying the OP should use them . . . I totally understand budget trips. BUT, they really aren't that out of line.

OP is using UPS to ship the items to her resort. She wouldn't gain a single minute of vacation time if she used Garden Grocer.

The OP is buying her stuff at Sams Club. I assume she's buying the large boxes of items like breakfast bars, and shipping the quantity she is planning on consuming. My guess is the savings is close to 50%.

I'll agree using DME, and a service like Garden Grocer, may be a better use of vacation time then booking a car service and using a grocery stop.

Last night, I researched the Garden Grocer website to see what items I could order (yes I should get a life ;) ) and if it would be really more expensive to use them, or if I should pack a few items in my son's luggage and supplement at the resort store, or rent a car and go to the grocery store. Well . . . for every item that I thought was reasonable and only a little over a usual grocery price, I would find a case of water costing $8.00 (when I can get it for $3.85) and a 12 pack of pop for $4.59 when I can get it for $3.33. My first thought was no way, what a rip off. :cutie: Then I realized I was only looking at an extra cost of $10 - 15. over what I could get the stuff for, plus the $12. fee. :goodvibes Truthfully, my vacation time is worth something.

Now I'm not saying the OP should use them . . . I totally understand budget trips. BUT, they really aren't that out of line.

Yeah I understand. But there's 13 people total in my party, and we're there for 9 days. We have two meals in the parks, the rest is breakfast and dinner in our room, and bringing lunch in. We have a timeshare so we have a full kitchen. With a family of 5 on a budget this was our only option. So for us it wasn't just a difference of $10 plus the service fee. Wish it was though!

HI,

Aren't I correct in assuming that the bag limits are PER TICKET, right? So if a famil of four is traveling, I'd have four bags I could check free. And I'd have to put whoever's name is on the ticket, on the luggage, even if its a child's. Right?

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter