25 Things we learned from our recent trip...

MorgannesMom

Earning My Ears
We just returned home from WDW late last night. These boards have always been so helpful to me, so I just wanted to share a few things that we learned this past trip – I hope it helps someone else…

1) Labor Day really isn't too crowded at WDW. The day after is even better, and the day after that – even BETTER! Tuesday and Wednesday this week we truly walked on everything. Yesterday at 11 AM, Soarin’ had a 15 minute wait! Unbelieveable!

2) September can be hot – and we had a couple of hot days – but overall with mid day breaks – it wasn’t too bad.

3) A two hour mid-day break isn't long enough to nap and swim.

4) In September you don’t have to wait in line for Fantasmic. Twenty min is plenty early. It may not be dead center, but the seats were fine (except for #5 below) and you could see everything.

5)It is hot, hot, hot, at Fantasmic. Bring something to use as a fan.

6)If Wishes is going on at the same time as Illuminations you can watch both from “Germany” in Epcot. It is really cool!

7)You can get stuck in front of Cinderella's Castle during MSEP, and yes, the music is as annoying as everyone has said. Be sure to move away from the parade route before it gets anywhere close or you can get stuck – for the WHOLE parade.

8)I couldn't make the water fountains talk in Epcot. I was very disappointed!

9)Jiko rocks! Best restaurant I have eaten at Disney - and I have tried many of the best like California Grill, O’Hanna’s, Bistro D’Paris, LeCelliere (Can't spell that one...)

10) You cannot see Illuminations from under the canopy at Rose and Crown. Unfortunately our dinner was served to the table about 5 minutes before Illuminations started and we were starved (and didn’t want a cold meal), so we tried to watch from our table – no luck.

11) If you have visited a country which is represented in Epcot’s World Showcase, be sure to talk to the cast members from that country. We visited the real Morocco this past spring and had the best time talking with the Moroccan cast members. We shared pictures, and experiences. The Moroccan cast members were so excited to talk about their homeland with someone who had actually been there.

12) The boats to/from Disney Studios are hot and stuffy. We road 3 different boats and there was no AC on any of them. I’d rather walk…

13) The funniest conversations can be overheard in the bathroom - example - Mother to child - "just sit on the toilet and pee" or again, mother to child - "Are you tired?" Child - "Yes" - Parent - "well that's what happens when you get up at 4 in the morning!" My DH overhead a child in a stall in the men’s room - “Dad, how come there are no stools at ANY of the toilets in Disney?!”

14) Be flexible. Plan everything, but be ready to throw those plans out the window. The magic happens most when it is unscripted.

15) Be proud if it is your Birthday. Wear your badge and wonderful things can happen.

16) Mission Space Orange – so much fun! Especially when your family of 3 has the cockpit all to themselves! Everyone becomes a kid again, flipping buttons, yelling out the countdown, and screaming for pure joy!

17) Don't plan your earliest morning on your 5th day in. It is really hard to get up for that 8:05 reservation!

18) Humans aren't made of sugar. We don't melt. A September rain isn't cold and it keeps the crowds low!

19) The one time you don’t carry the rain ponchos it will rain. But don’t despair – see #18 above!

20) Look at the sleeping faces of the children riding back to the hotel late at night. They become angelic.
21) Look at the faces of the parents of these children. They are tired, but happy to hold their children close - especially the parents of the 8, 9 and 10 year olds who know this may be the last time their child sleeps in their arms.

22) Listen to your children. They often have profound insights that we miss.

23) Your kids are never too old to play. If you take the time and effort to play with them, a miracle may even happen - your teenager may stop texting for a few minutes!

24) I know this has been said before, but it should be repeated – even after many, many trips to WDW you will never see everything, so just relax and enjoy the trip, see what fits into the time you have, but most importantly enjoy the time with your family.

25) A kindness given will always be returned. Not always instantly – but it will come back. Take pictures for other families – the same will be done for you, Let someone move ahead of you in line if they ask – in the long run it won’t add that much to your wait. Give a small child your better view for the fireworks and parades – you can always see over their heads, and just the joy on their faces is worth the two steps backwards!

LOVE IT!!! Thank you for posting this, #20 and 21 choked me up! On our last trip iIwas afraid our 11 y.o. would be bored and gripe...he had just as much fun if not more than our 4y.o.

21) Look at the faces of the parents of these children. They are tired, but happy to hold their children close - especially the parents of the 8, 9 and 10 year olds who know this may be the last time their child sleeps in their arms.

You're going to make me tear up

We just returned home from WDW late last night. These boards have always been so helpful to me, so I just wanted to share a few things that we learned this past trip – I hope it helps someone else…

1) Labor Day really isn't too crowded at WDW. The day after is even better, and the day after that – even BETTER! Tuesday and Wednesday this week we truly walked on everything. Yesterday at 11 AM, Soarin’ had a 15 minute wait! Unbelieveable!
That's why it's our favorite holiday to visit WDW, I am sad we missed it this year but we will be there in 2 weeks.

2) September can be hot – and we had a couple of hot days – but overall with mid day breaks – it wasn’t too bad. Our exact strategy

4) In September you don’t have to wait in line for Fantasmic. Twenty min is plenty early. It may not be dead center, but the seats were fine (except for #5 below) and you could see everything. That has just changed with the change back to nightly this year. Last year that was not the case.

6)If Wishes is going on at the same time as Illuminations you can watch both from “Germany” in Epcot. It is really cool! Didn't know that we will have to try that.

8)I couldn't make the water fountains talk in Epcot. I was very disappointed! I've never gotten to work either but havn't tried in a few years.
9)Jiko rocks! Best restaurant I have eaten at Disney - and I have tried many of the best like California Grill, O’Hanna’s, Bistro D’Paris, LeCelliere (Can't spell that one...) Hmm we have been going back and forth on Jiko or Sanaa and I keep reading great things about Jiko we may have to change

13) The funniest conversations can be overheard in the bathroom - example - Mother to child - "just sit on the toilet and pee" or again, mother to child - "Are you tired?" Child - "Yes" - Parent - "well that's what happens when you get up at 4 in the morning!" My DH overhead a child in a stall in the men’s room - “Dad, how come there are no stools at ANY of the toilets in Disney?!” :rotfl2:

14) Be flexible. Plan everything, but be ready to throw those plans out the window. The magic happens most when it is unscripted. :thumbsup2

17) Don't plan your earliest morning on your 5th day in. It is really hard to get up for that 8:05 reservation! So true!

18) Humans aren't made of sugar. We don't melt. A September rain isn't cold and it keeps the crowds low! :rotfl:

19) The one time you don’t carry the rain ponchos it will rain. But don’t despair – see #18 above! Story of my life at WDW

20) Look at the sleeping faces of the children riding back to the hotel late at night. They become angelic.

21) Look at the faces of the parents of these children. They are tired, but happy to hold their children close - especially the parents of the 8, 9 and 10 year olds who know this may be the last time their child sleeps in their arms. awwww I hadn't thought of it like that yet, DD is 9 and that time is coming pretty quickly. :sad2:

Sounds like you guys had a great trip.

Very nice.

As an adult with no kids who goes to Disney almost every year, I have to say that I agree with so much of this.

The only thing is the parade thing. Because I know how it is, and I want great seats, we always stop about 2 hours early for the night parade whether MSEP or Spectromagic.

I'm sure people probably think I'm rude because my DW get our spot and then guard our territory. However, I will say that we always seem to "reserve" a little extra room in case there is someone behind us with a child that can sit next to us on the curb.

It's a nice thing we do for amateurs who don't understand why so many people stop doing things an hour before the parade starts.

#14 is my mantra...I tend to be obsessive with the planning and when we get there we don't do half of the things planned...but those 'stop and smell the roses' moments are the most memorable.

18) Humans aren't made of sugar. We don't melt. A September rain isn't cold and it keeps the crowds low!

Everyone, ignore that. Rain is poison -- please run back to your hotel any time gray clouds show up. I'll let you know when it's safe to come back out into the parks. ;)

We LOVE the week after Labor Day! It is hot, but the crowds are awesome. I don't even really know what it is like to have lines at Disney :lmao: We were there last year including the weekend before Labor Day and that was a little more crowded than we had experienced on our prior trip, but once Labor Day hit and the days following- AWESOME! So sad we missed it this year.

I've searched the boards for ages on my gf's acct. and never joined and now as of yesterday I am officially a Disboard member. And for my first post I have come here.

13) The funniest conversations can be overheard in the bathroom - example - Mother to child - "just sit on the toilet and pee" or again, mother to child - "Are you tired?" Child - "Yes" - Parent - "well that's what happens when you get up at 4 in the morning!" My DH overhead a child in a stall in the men’s room - “Dad, how come there are no stools at ANY of the toilets in Disney?!”
My 3 yr. old just became fully potty trained which I'm thrilled about. So, for our next Disney visit she may very well be one of these little creatures making comments in the stalls. She does it now w/no filter I can't imagine what she will say in an actual fun place ala Disneyworld. Your other comment regarding watching the sleeping children *sigh*. It's so true. I just adore looking at the faces of the kids conked out on their mom/dad's arm or in their lap. My son who's 8 sleeps like the dead so we usually wait for everyone to leave and literally drag him off the bus to the hotel. Not cute. When this happens we know we've done something right and they had fun.

QUOTE]

Yes, I am now crying!! I have so many pictures of my boys sleeping at WDW, and they are some of my favorites!
Sounds like you had a great trip:thumbsup2 Thanks for sharing with us!
Laurie

Everyone, ignore that. Rain is poison -- please run back to your hotel any time gray clouds show up. I'll let you know when it's safe to come back out into the parks. ;)

HAHA!!! So true!!!

Rain IS POISON!!!!!

!

:thumbsup2

These moments are pure joy. Exhausted, wiped out, want to fall down in a heap tired pure joy, but pure joy nonetheless.

Oh my lord...#21 has me in full blown tears. How sweet!
Heading down in 2 days with my 3 year old and I am very much looking forward to having him fall asleep (or pass out!) on me...because I know soon enough he won't do that and I will miss it so much.
Thank you so much for posting this...made my day. :hug:

Thanks! No matter how many times I've been to the World or how many threads I've read, there's always something new. Today I learned, I am not made of sugar. :rotfl: Seriously, thanks for the tips and advice. Sounds like you had a great time!

You're going to make me tear up

DITTO DITTO DITTO! The tears are welling up especially after reading 20 - 25

Thank you so much now I am that more excited to go back to the World especially since we are taking our 3 nieces 14, 11 and 7!!

9)Jiko rocks! Best restaurant I have eaten at Disney - and I have tried many of the best like California Grill, O’Hanna’s, Bistro D’Paris, LeCelliere (Can't spell that one...)

14) Be flexible. Plan everything, but be ready to throw those plans out the window. The magic happens most when it is unscripted.

24) I know this has been said before, but it should be repeated – even after many, many trips to WDW you will never see everything, so just relax and enjoy the trip, see what fits into the time you have, but most importantly enjoy the time with your family.
s!

These are my favorites.
#9 :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
It's soooo good,

It's almost underrated because it gets overlooked by people mistakenly thinking CG is a romantic place to eat

#14...very true.. We plan what parks but let the kids pick what to do.
So much much more enjoyable doing it their way, then some computer planner trying to tell us how our kids will enjoy it.

#20 That's the reward for parents and why we go to see those smiles..even when they are sleeping.

#24 The whole reason Walt created DL and WDW in the first place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter