23 Days on the Magic, including 12 Night Baltic ABD add-on/UPDATED Complete with pics!

CaliforniaGirl09

DIS Veteran
This is a cross post, but I thought some of you might be interested in my thoughts (so far) on the 12 night Baltic add-on that we are currently doing right now on the Magic. I'll be updating more soon. http://www.disboards.com/threads/23...-scotland-the-baltics-with-abd-add-on.3427323 (hopefully the link works).

My biggest complaint so far--and it's a big one--is the enormous group size of 49! I haven't been able to check on the ABD website, but I could have sworn they limited groups to 44 at most (which is still way above what it used to be and above the trips I've been on). It's been a big negative IMO. The group is way too large, and not what I signed up for. I might as well be on a regular port adventure. :(

I think 49 is way huge. That would be disappointing for me too. We had a group of 44 in our Scotland ABD and I thought that was huge. You can't hear the guide talking (no whispers), for one thing and I thought I missed a lot on that. I wonder why they can't come up with at least 2 groups?

49? That *is* huge! There were 39 on my Med cruise add-on, and that was pushing it. I can't imagine 49! :eek: What were they thinking??

Sayhello

Agreed. That's too big a group.

I'll be interested to follow along. We did the Baltic back in 2010 with DCL and it was incredible.
Apparently we were getting off the ship (9 Day Norway) as you were getting on... I so wanted to stay on :)

WOW!!!! 49???? I would not be happy too. Logistically I wonder about bus service and number of guides per person. On our Southwest Splendor trip we had 42 and it was really tight sometimes in the bus and just moving the group. I bet it would be way cheaper to just go on port adventures than this group. You should voice your disappointment. Good Luck.

I just called ABD and there are only 40 people signed up for the July 22nd add-on. Apparently, they can go up to 50 for the add-ons vs. land adventures. Not sure that's stated clearly anywhere.

I think it's because there is not a lot of moving involved (luggage, coach transfers) that's why they accommodate more people. I still think 40 is too big for the premium. Ideal for me is 30, less even better. I think with a group that size, they should add a third guide. I was told a guide goes solo if the group is 12 or less.

Yuck! Too big a group for the money we pay for these trips! I hope ABD takes another look at that!

I really hope they take another look at it, too! Thanks for all the comments. I'm on my way to St. Petersburg right now and the internet has been a little spotty so hopefully this will go through...

I wonder why they can't come up with at least 2 groups?

I have no idea! I was wondering the same thing.

49? That *is* huge! There were 39 on my Med cruise add-on, and that was pushing it. I can't imagine 49! :eek: What were they thinking??
Sayhello

I have no idea! It is way way too big. Totally changes the dynamic of the trip.

Is James the American-Japanese guide?

Yep, that's him! He's great (as is Dusty).

WOW!!!! 49???? I would not be happy too. Logistically I wonder about bus service and number of guides per person. On our Southwest Splendor trip we had 42 and it was really tight sometimes in the bus and just moving the group. I bet it would be way cheaper to just go on port adventures than this group. You should voice your disappointment. Good Luck.

It would be! Believe me, I've had the same thought many times. I will definitely be sending a letter when I get back. Thanks!

I just called ABD and there are only 40 people signed up for the July 22nd add-on. Apparently, they can go up to 50 for the add-ons vs. land adventures. Not sure that's stated clearly anywhere.

That's strange that there isn't as many when there were supposedly a 200 person wait list for our trip. But cross your fingers it stays at 40. Thanks for calling--really interesting--but I can't recall seeing that anywhere. Not surprising. I bet they just changed it :)

I think there were more people waitlisted on the July 10 trip because of the stop in Warnemunde which is replaced by an extra day in CPH on the July 22 trip. When comparing between the two trips, it looked like the July 10 was getting fuller ahead of the July 22. Just my deductions.

I think there were more people waitlisted on the July 10 trip because of the stop in Warnemunde which is replaced by an extra day in CPH on the July 22 trip. When comparing between the two trips, it looked like the July 10 was getting fuller ahead of the July 22. Just my deductions.

I heard that the first cruise was way more popular but 40 to 249+ seems a pretty weird discrepancy. Wonder if someone in our group had pull to get on. Anyway... updated through Helsinki. Hope to get the rest up tomorrow ...

We are back exhausted, but glad to be home. 24 days is a long time to travel with kids, LOL. Just updated with St. Petersburg and hope to have the rest up (with some pics) soon.

Hi! We are in Copenhagen now and did a DCL PA in Tivoli Gardens. Our group is only 7 and most of the ones I saw were small groups as well. I have not bumped into the ABD group though.. They even provided a full coach for the 7 of us, we'll 8 including our wonderful guide!

Hi! We are in Copenhagen now and did a DCL PA in Tivoli Gardens. Our group is only 7 and most of the ones I saw were small groups as well. I have not bumped into the ABD group though.. They even provided a full coach for the 7 of us, we'll 8 including our wonderful guide!
Wow, I'm so jealous right now. 8 people on a bus? That's amazing. It is so ironic that 3 of the 4 Disney PAs we did don the first cruise had less than half the people of the ABD. Two were 16 and the RIB was even a little smaller, I think. Hope you guys are having a blast!

Californiagirl, I concur 100%. My husband did the math for me (I can't do math!). Our ABD for a 7 day cruise, of which there were 4 actual days that we had "adventures" was $2100 and change per person. The literature we got/read promised no more than 40 people per tour. So, adding another 5 people translates to the tidy sum of $10,000 in ABD's coffers for ONE trip. On your add-on, 9 additional people x $3349 = $30,141 for essentially zero additional overhead.
That's a LOT of money.
I don't mind paying for a premium product. But, this was not it.
There are plenty of folks out there who insist that "Disney can do no wrong!" I'd like to see how those people feel getting stuck in a 30 minute bathroom line at the Hermitage or losing 40 minutes of a 5 hour port day at a photo stop. That is a lot of time when you have limited hours in port.
Geez, why not just add another ABD on the cruise and make both experiences exclusive and wonderful?
I think this being the first batch of Baltic add-ons might have something to do with it. You can bet that if we do another ABD, I'll make sure we are in the sophomore group, at least.

I could not imagine the add on with 49 people PLUS the guides....I did the second 7 night Baltic add on (June 13 sailing)....we had 42 people plus our 2 guides. It should have been 44 people but 2 people were unable to leave the US due to passport issues (not valid for 6 months). I think our group was a good size (my two previous ABD's were land based and smaller (26 & 22). Our group had a mix of adults and kids. I never really noticed the size of our group except at meals. Never really saw an issue with bathroom breaks but I think because ours were usually at meal times, people were able to space out the times so it wasn't a long wait...I think the only time it was an issue was when we went to the restaurant in St. Petersburg after Peterhoff Palace and the Hydrafoil (sp?) boat ride...but when I saw 2 stalls and a long line I just waited until partway through our meal (I always carry Purell to clean my hands before eating) and there were only 2 people in line...I think Dusty and James did a great job with our group and I'm sorry that you had such a large group that it impacted your experience. I would definitely let ABD know your concerns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter