I know it's not what you want to hear but I would suck it up and use the free online version of turbotax.

Good luck

I used the free version of TaxAct this year and it was much better than TurboTax, which I used to do my mom's taxes last year. You can skip things on it that don't apply to you.

Suzanne

I'm not an accountant but it seems your tax situation is pretty cut and dry. Use Turbotax and pound it out. I did my kids, took 10 minutes tops. Easy peasy questions. I think it took me longer to find their bank routing number than to fill it all out. :rotfl:

Also, if you use TT deluxe you can pick and choose what questions to answer. If you don't own a home, hit skip this section, no deductions, skip. TT is very user friendly.

I'd go back and take a look at it again.

Check the 'rules' for 1040EZ, if your situation is uncomplicated you might be able to use the EZ form and it is super simple (shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes tops to complete it)

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and try one of the online versions.. However, if I find that it's as long and complicated as last year, can I just opt out and try a different version instead?

In other words, if I never hit the "file" button, I'm not obligated - correct?

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and try one of the online versions.. However, if I find that it's as long and complicated as last year, can I just opt out and try a different version instead?

In other words, if I never hit the "file" button, I'm not obligated - correct?

Yes, as far as I know if you don't choose to use it, you don't have to continue.

Suzanne

If your income is 56K or less (which it sounds like yours is) you can file for free through the IRS. Just go to IRS.gov and click on the free file link. They will take you to a provider in your state.

TaxAct online is very easy. They do ask lots of questions, but you don't need to use the Q&A method of input. You can scroll across the top by category, so you can just go directly to the appropriate input for the items you have.

Good luck

Sounds like you used the purchased version of TurboTax last year. While it probably took you a while last year, the easier option this year is to just use TT again. Instead of choosing "guide me through" on each step the quicker option is to say "let me choose" and just pick the options that apply to you. TT will show you which areas you had income/deductions last year, Rather than going through all the questions you know that don't apply to you.

The great thing is once you fill in your FED return it all transfers over to your state returns. Many of the online free programs only work for creating your FED return. You would still need to fill out your state return by hand.

If you still decide to file by hand by mail you need to file a fed form 1040A or 1040EZ and a IT-150 for NY.

IT-150 Resident Income Tax Return (short form)

If you have no dependents you can file a

1040EZ Form
1040EZ Instructions

If you have dependents to claim then you can file a

1040A Form
1040A Instructions

Because of the Avon income you will have to file a 1040 and a Schedule C.
There is a Schedule C-EZ that the OP should qualify to file. There is little difference between the 1040A and the regular 1040. The biggest difference is you can't itemize deductions on a 1040A.

As stated before I think the OP should just suck it up and use TT purchased version so she can import prior year info and then use the "let me choose" options. My mom has a home biz and files a schedule C and my Dad is disabled collecting disability. Since most info sucks in automatically from the previous year return it is snap (way less than 30 min to file)

OP - Don't spending more time trying to find what to do than it would take you to use Turbo Tax to begin with. :)

Sounds like your medication needs to be adjusted big time...if you're getting jittery and impatient, you definitely are on the wrong medication. I would feel better after a couple of days after starting medication, but the fog would not hit me until about 4 or 5 months in. Never jittery though.

There are volunteers (VITA) who partner with the IRS to provide free tax prep services to those who qualify and it sounds as if you might. Here's a link and there is a toll free number to call to find a location near you. You wouldn't have to do anything other than show up with you documents and you will leave with a prepared tax return.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=108104,00.html

There is a simpler solution, look at pages 8 & 9 on this link
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf

Under the scenario you laid out above you wouldn't even have a filing requirement as your income will fall below the filing threshold and the only item that comes close to triggering a return is the Avon income at 300.00, but you must earn 400.00 (from page 9) to need a return if your other income doesn't push you over the minimum filing requirement.

I've got a dumb question.

I've never filed electronically but am planning to this year.
So I'm wondering about the W-2 form. When you file electronically, how do you send in the W-2? Or do you just type in the information and not send it?

Thanks!

I've got a dumb question.

I've never filed electronically but am planning to this year.
So I'm wondering about the W-2 form. When you file electronically, how do you send in the W-2? Or do you just type in the information and not send it?

Thanks!

You type in the information and that's it. Nothing to mail in, unless you owe.

Ok will try this again, if you review my prior message I pointed out that if the facts in your case match the first post in this thread you more than likely wouldn't have to file a return at all. Why bother pulling your hair out over something that doesn't even need to be filed???????

I can't help you on the taxes stuff, but I wanted to give you a :hug: re: the depression. My DH went through that - it took a year and a half of trying different meds, different combos of meds, etc. before they found the best combination for him. He had some major anxiety, his depression got WORSE, not to mention physical side effects. It's not fun, but its worth it once you get on the right medicine. He's back to his normal self again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter