• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2022 Trip Planning Thread

I haven’t canceled Christmas yet but am getting closer. We have June booked and hopefully littles will be vaccinated by then , and will be the last few days our flight vouchers will be valid for ( out of NY) fingers crossed

We’ve cancelled November and rented out all our dvc points that were banked into 2022. I still have a villa booked with cash for February, but we will probably not go. I’m hoping October 2022 for my fiftieth. I need mixed dosing to get sorted and we really want testing to be dropped.

Does anyone have a backup plan in case they do test positive before coming home? Where would you stay etc.?
We've talked about this in a few other threads on the Canadian board, and TBH there is really no great answer 🤷‍♀️. There doesn't seem to be any travel insurance that will cover hotel/meal expenses for those who test positive, so I believe the consensus was just to find an affordable hotel/motel and hunker down for 14 days, ordering takeout and avoiding other guests/staff as much as possible. I saw a few replies that they'd rent a car one-way and drive home, but one way rentals are very hard to come by and are only available into major centres (for example, it's not an option for us in Winnipeg).

Does anyone have a backup plan in case they do test positive before coming home? Where would you stay etc.?
My sister lives in Florida and would help us. Her in laws also have an empty holiday home we could use if need be. I realize this is not an option for most. I would not plan a trip if I didn’t have this option available to me as it’s already complicated enough.

Well, we haven't officially cancelled our Feb/Mar trip next year, but it is seeming like that's what will happen. So now I am currently planning for the end of August, just hoping kids will be fully vaxxed and there will be less travel restrictions by then. I'm feeling a bit down now thinking the earlier trip won't happen. I was so looking forward to getting away with the family!

My sister lives in Florida and would help us. Her in laws also have an empty holiday home we could use if need be. I realize this is not an option for most. I would not plan a trip if I didn’t have this option available to me as it’s already complicated enough.
That's a pretty ideal scenario - I'm very envious :)

That's a pretty ideal scenario - I'm very envious :)
Yes it’s much easier on that front but I’m still very uncertain because even though we could enact that plan, me missing two weeks of work is a huge hassle. My husband can work from anywhere but I can’t.

To be honest the closer it gets , the less likely it seems. I think we may move to July. The only thing is my husband can’t come this summer because of work but both my kids can. Nothing feels quite right at this point.

Was really hoping that in conjunction with today's announcement of mandatory vaccines for air travel, they'd also talk about dropping re-entry testing. No such luck so far...

I'm in a (really boring and not relevant to me) virtual meeting so will have to look for a recap later, I thought it was supposed to be about vaccines, and since I'm a public servant I assumed to do with us having to be vaccinated to still have a job (I am so not worried).

I'm in a (really boring and not relevant to me) virtual meeting so will have to look for a recap later, I thought it was supposed to be about vaccines, and since I'm a public servant I assumed to do with us having to be vaccinated to still have a job (I am so not worried).
The announcement was about both vaccinations for fed staff, as well as air/rail/bus travel.

Was really hoping that in conjunction with today's announcement of mandatory vaccines for air travel, they'd also talk about dropping re-entry testing. No such luck so far...
I don't think we will see any dropping of re-entry testing. Especially now with the MU variant gaining traction now too :sad: I wish was could turn back time and it was 2019

I don't think we will see any dropping of re-entry testing. Especially now with the MU variant gaining traction now too :sad: I wish was could turn back time and it was 2019
I guess you're right - there was just so much talk about helping travel/tourism financially recover, that I thought there would at least be a mention of the metrics needed to end testing.

I guess you're right - there was just so much talk about helping travel/tourism financially recover, that I thought there would at least be a mention of the metrics needed to end testing.
there was that 2% of me that was hoping that the re-entry testing would be dropped as well. I'm just grateful that they haven't imposed more items that need to happen to travel outside of the country.

We are all just doing our best with what is being asked of us. We are all trying to get through all of this the best we can - while trying to keep a tiny bit of our sanity along with finding some normalcy in these crazy times. Most days I feel like dory and nemo singing " just keep swimming, just keep swimming " :laughing: In all honestly...we are all just doing what works best for our families. There is not right or wrong way to get through this...it's just what works best for you and your families!!!!! I'm just grateful we have the ability to be able to travel. This is not the case for many people right now.

The Mu variant is not a threat. It was out competed by Delta.

We are planning on booking our 2022 trip in the next day or so. Input would be appreciated. We hope to drive and would attempt to rent DVC.

Wed Aug 24 - Sat Aug 27 BLT standard villa, Drive in mid morning Wed and use the late night MK hours.
Sat Aug 27 - Fri Sept 2 AKL standard Jambo

We are past the 11 month mark so I have some concerns with being able to book BLT. Alternatives are Copper's/Boulder or BC for the shorter stay. Input is welcome.

I cannot think of any detriment to a split stay other than having to move. For example Fastpasses 60+3, 60+6 would be an issue with this split stay in the past.

We are planning on booking our 2022 trip in the next day or so. Input would be appreciated. We hope to drive and would attempt to rent DVC.

Wed Aug 24 - Sat Aug 27 BLT standard villa, Drive in mid morning Wed and use the late night MK hours.
Sat Aug 27 - Fri Sept 2 AKL standard Jambo

We are past the 11 month mark so I have some concerns with being able to book BLT. Alternatives are Copper's/Boulder or BC for the shorter stay. Input is welcome.

I cannot think of any detriment to a split stay other than having to move. For example Fastpasses 60+3, 60+6 would be an issue with this split stay in the past.

I love doing split stays, but that was back when there was a dining plan. We would do a short stay at one resort with the dining plan, and book the expensive restaurants on the plan, then move to a 2nd resort with no dining plan. You would still be able to use the refillable mugs for the 2nd stay. I see less advantage of a split stay now, other than the fact that you can enjoy 2 different resorts.

From what I remember, it was 180+ dining that was an issue before, not the FP+. You could only book 180+ the number of days at the first resort, then wait until the 180 day mark of the second resort before you could book the remaining ADRs.

As for BLT, those dates in Aug are still open at the moment. My only reservation about renting points would be the uncertainty of everything right now. If for whatever reason you couldn't travel in Aug, you will not be refunded.

That is why we rented DVC with the DVC rental store. They are a little more per point than some of the others but they have a cancellation policy. You don’t get your money back but you can get a credit to use. We were sure we would go eventually so the credit works for us. There are some terms to look over, as you lose some of the credit if you are within a certain amount days out , so I would recommend looking it over if anyone goes that route.

Thank you both for the ideas and information. I will take a look at the DVC rental store. I had always used David's.

I am confident we will be able to drive across by August next year. However, if we have to fly I recently learned that I can get a return flight to Detroit (no testing needed for the flight) and get a shuttle across.

There is a lot of breakthrough infection, so I can't see why testing would be dropped. Double vaccinated people can still carry Covid, can get sick with Covid (just likely to be a much milder case than if they weren't vaxxed), and can certainly still spread Covid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter