• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2021 Vacations?

We have a replacement Vegas trip planned for early to mid March. It was a trip from April 2020 that was cancelled. This one isn't really costing us much. The hotel Wynn is paid for due to an app my husband was using. You could only re-book up to March 31st 2021 and you had to do this by end of August 2020. I would have rather had later in the year. In any case we're just responsible for resort fees (which last I checked was about $50/night--stupid high IMO). We just booked our SWA flights last night using points so no cost there except for 9/11 fees. We also booked a rental car which can easily be cancelled and has not been pre-paid. While it may have been booked it's still up in the air for me. Not wanting to get my hopes up. The furthest we've been from home since last late Feb/early March is several hours away to go to the Lake one time so it will be interesting.

Our 2nd 2020 cancelled trip was a beach or cruise and that will likely be a long while in rescheduling so it's possible if we do a 2nd trip in 2021 (assuming this first one happens) it will be something different.

I a curious as to how this works??? What if you already had invested money into your trip...air, non refundable whatever, and put your time in to HR or whatever you need to do at your place of employment?

We’ve had instances occur once or twice where a employee was really needed for a meeting that was time sensitive and came up last minute,but we compensated them by paying any change fees or tacking on extra day or whatever.
We booked last Fall. No vacation requests are accepted until January of each year. They put the restrictions in after that. You're just out the money.

We've accumulated enough miles for business class tickets to fly direct to Hawaii. We'll probably go there this summer and rent a house on the beach.

We also have some college visits planned to TX, LA and FL.

Domestically, we’d like to go back to WDW but not sure if that will happen late 2021 or later. Depends on the COVID situation.

Internationally, we had a trip planned (in 2019 for 2020) that was cancelled for Asia. We hope to go back soon but I don’t see them loosening restrictions and quarantine requirements for travelers from the US any time soon.

The only trip planned for 2021 is a few days at my favorite condo on Grand Traverse Bay in Traverse City, MI in late June. There will be seven of us in two condos celebrating my 70th birthday! I wanted to take some kind of big trip to celebrate my birthday, but because of COVID-19, that dream disappeared. This will be fun, and I am pretty sure this trip can happen.
What condo do you go to or rent through?

We went to Cancun In February 2021. Have another trip to Cancun booked for May 2021.
we love it there. Clean. Not crowded. Mask mandates. Perfect beach. My happy place before covid and even more now

I have been to the beach a couple times, and I have a prepaid Disney trip that I had to reschedule from January to April that I am still planning to go on. I have the WDW anniversary weekend booked, and plan to keep that also. Other than that, it will depend on whether I find a new job or not. If the Disney trips were not already paid for, I probably would have cancelled them, but I think the mental health benefit of going will be worth it.

So my employer just changed the vacation policy, no more carry over so I have 4 weeks plus 2 days to use up this year and don’t know if I can go anywhere! And after being without a job for 6 months out of 2020, I don’t want to take time off to stay at home again!
When our company changed vacation policies like that, they just paid us for any vacation carryover that was on the books and we started new with the current allotment. Any chance of something like that happening?

@shoney Do you have a favorite Cancun resort with great beach that you recommend?
My husband and I love Live Aqua. It’s on the smaller side, quiet, great food and service. They also have cabanas on the beach with daily foot massages that are just perfect for relaxing. It’s a low key resort.

We'd had plans for WDW's 50th on the books since last June. It was also our 30th and since we'd been at WDW just before the shut down it seemed like a great way to celebrate getting back to normal.

But with the announcement that they were delaying Ratatouille till October 1st and reading between the lines which probably means that neither Guardians Galaxy cosmic rewind or Tron will open by the 50th we asked ourselves why we were going. Crowds will be insane, prices will be high and masks will be worn. So we bailed.

As excited as we were for Disney, we were even more excited to just change our destination to Hawaii. Nine days between Kona & Maui - can't wait.

We will go camping as much as possible. And we have 5 nights reserved in August on Mackinac Island. And we have a Celebrity Silhouette cruise booked for January. If the cruise is cancelled we will just move it to the next January.

We finally got our summer plans settled, and Alaska it is. A couple of weeks of exploring in a campervan followed by a "cruise" to some of the Inside Passage towns on the Alaska Marine Highway.
That sounds wonderful!

My favorite place to stay in Traverse City is the Tamarack Lodge.
We will go camping as much as possible. And we have 5 nights reserved in August on Mackinac Island. And we have a Celebrity Silhouette cruise booked for January. If the cruise is cancelled we will just move it to the next January.

we cancelled Italy in 2020 but with European destinations still a no go we are considering Michigan for summer. We’ve never been and the cooler weather is enticing. Mackinac Island has been on my list for years.

We’re thinking that we’d like to fly into a larger city(not sure which one) and do a bit of road tripping with a few days on Mackinac at some point.

As you can see, this is far from a fleshed out idea but I’d love suggestions from Michiganders or anyone who has visited the state.

we cancelled Italy in 2020 but with European destinations still a no go we are considering Michigan for summer. We’ve never been and the cooler weather is enticing. Mackinac Island has been on my list for years.

We’re thinking that we’d like to fly into a larger city(not sure which one) and do a bit of road tripping with a few days on Mackinac at some point.

As you can see, this is far from a fleshed out idea but I’d love suggestions from Michiganders or anyone who has visited the state.
I would suggest spending at least one night on Mackinac Island, it’s wonderful when the last ferries leave. we started out spending 2 nights, then 3, 4, and this year will be 5. We love the Lilac Tree hotel downtown. We stay in a top floor balcony room, with the Main Street and water view. We spent the whole month of January there in a condo. Winter was quite a different experience.

If you can, cross the Mackinaw Bridge and go to Tahquamenon Falls. So beautiful. The upper peninsula is full of waterfalls, and lighthouses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter