• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

I ended up in corral F, pretty pleased with that since I did not submit a time. There's really only one well known 10k in my city each year and it had already come and gone by time I decided to sign up for this race. See everyone there!:)

I am in F as well. I am very happy about that since I also did not submit a time. I also just bought the race retreat and the jacket now that they have a rendering of it online. I liked it, might regret it later but at least I have one thing to remember this fun event.

I keep going back and fourth... is the Race Retreat worth it? I don't ever eat before a race but I eat like crazy after. I just noticed that there is a tent before and after the half - but cheer squad can also use the tent after. Is it worth the cost if I'm running solo and want to eat after and meet lots of characters?

It is 100% worth it to me!

My daughter, sister, her friend, and I are all in F. My daughter and my costumes are being put together. When mine is finished I will post a pic. We will be very easy to find out on the course. :lmao:

I've been MIA from the boards for a while! My annoying injury kept flaring up and I wasn't really able to start training in earnest until about a month ago. It's been such a frustrating recovery. But I got an 8 mile long run in on Monday!! 9 miles next week, 11 the week after that, then tapering.

My BFF and I got exactly the corrals we expected! I'm in D and she's in E, so I'll bump back one to start with her. I'm so freaking proud of her! Last year she didn't get a POT and barely trained for the half, and she really struggled. This year she's taking it really seriously. She got her POT goal on the first try, and has been keeping up with my long runs. We've discovered that doing Galloway makes a HUGE difference for her, and I don't hate taking a little stress off my poor injured leg. So our goal for the half is to do 1:1 as long as we can, and maybe dial back to 1:2 if either of us starts to get super fatigued.

ETA: Also, I had originally planned to do the 5K in addition to the challenge, but last week decided to just cut my losses and skip it. I honestly hate the medal, and given how tough my recovery/training has been it just doesn't seem worth the risk to add those extra miles even if I just walked it. Maybe next year!

I've only ever done one other RunDisney race, and I can't recall (and I'm not even sure how best to ask the question)...

How much time is in between each corral start? I know they release us in waves, so if the Elite folks leave at 5:30, when can we reasonably expect A, B, C, etc. to start? I'm in Corral F for the Half, and just trying to get a good idea on timing. Thanks in advance!

I've only ever done one other RunDisney race, and I can't recall (and I'm not even sure how best to ask the question)...

How much time is in between each corral start? I know they release us in waves, so if the Elite folks leave at 5:30, when can we reasonably expect A, B, C, etc. to start? I'm in Corral F for the Half, and just trying to get a good idea on timing. Thanks in advance!

Last year we were in the second-to-last mini-wave (so near the end of H) and we started at 6:38am. If we say the last wave of H was released at 6:40am, that's a little less than 9 minutes between corrals. I think each corral was in 3 or 4 mini-waves, so say 2-3 minutes between each of those?

ETA: I think 6:40 sounds about right for the final mini-wave, because I just looked up one of the balloon ladies who would have obviously been in the back of that group and she started at about 6:42am.

Are you saying I still have to be there Thursday to get the 10K bib or I can get that on Friday since the 10K is Saturday? Thanks![/QUOTE]

The day before your first race, so for you, Friday.

I'm surprised that our bib numbers are so far apart and that they would put a minor away from the parent.

She could run it alone, so they don’t keep minors with parents.

I was more thinking the time waiting before the race starts would be awkward for her.

She could be at the very back of her corral and you could be at the very front of yours and hang out that way.

I keep going back and fourth... is the Race Retreat worth it? I don't ever eat before a race but I eat like crazy after. I just noticed that there is a tent before and after the half - but cheer squad can also use the tent after. Is it worth the cost if I'm running solo and want to eat after and meet lots of characters?

If you like scrambled eggs, some sort of meat, and little chocolate croissants if I recall correctly, and you like eating ASAP, it can be valuable. Also if you’re fast enough to have ample time in there post-run.

Beforehand you get a smaller bag check, which is nice.

It's so crazy to me the number of runners in corral F, and the percentage of the field that is in F-H.

A few years ago they had way more corrals, with the middle 3 being huge. Then they compressed it all so you get the same number that would have been in those three corrals into one giant group, and now they do the mini waves.

runDisney called me in response to my special needs email to WDW for our upcoming trip. They don't have entertainment confirmed/finalised for the race yet, which is surprising. They were really helpful in other ways, and I feel much more comfortable running this race series based on what they told me as far as what to expect and where along the course. They even asked if there was potential to be one of the top 3 finishers, because they have a ceremony for those people - I laughed because the winners likely run the half in the 1:20s, which is definitely not going to be me. Still, it's nice that they asked, because you never know, and I appreciate them not discounting me as a possible winner because I have a disability (albeit invisible).

If anyone else has special needs and/or sensory issues, I highly recommend calling runDisney to request more information.

I have a question if anyone has suggestions. My parents are driving up from Sarasota to watch me and are staying at the hotel with me. My mom is totally not a morning person and I told them to just meet me at the finish line. I just read buses stop from host resorts to Epcot at 5 am. Based on my times I figure I will finish around 8:30-9 maybe even later depending on character stops, should I tell them to drive to Epcot or do you think they could just hop on a normal park bus right at 8 and still make it?

Edited: Found my bib number for the 5k. I am 52589. Does this mean I’m in the back? (I want to be in the back bc I’m slow!)

Last edited:
A little peaved with my corral placement...I’m running with 3 other gals, we all registered without a proof of time but with an estimate of 2:45 but the other 3 were placed in F and I’m in H. I know they are allowed to move back but that seems unfair to them since we all know there’s probably a 20-30 min difference between those two options. Has anyone had success with getting their bib changed this late?

I’m in E, DH is in C. This is what we expected but I was hoping to squeak into D. My POT is 1:08.36 for @DopeyBadger’s tracking. I knew I needed to break 1:08 so it’s fine! It’s getting so close!

We landed in C as expected. Not bad for my first real race but one day I want to get in B! And solely because I hear the crowds are worse the further back you are. Hoping c isn’t too bad!

Still deals from travel agencies for this weekend. I just saw one that is a buy one get one deal available until 2/8/19.

What TA? Can you say?

A little peaved with my corral placement...I’m running with 3 other gals, we all registered without a proof of time but with an estimate of 2:45 but the other 3 were placed in F and I’m in H. I know they are allowed to move back but that seems unfair to them since we all know there’s probably a 20-30 min difference between those two options. Has anyone had success with getting their bib changed this late?

Are you doing the challenge and they are doing only the half? That would be a reason if so.

We landed in C as expected. Not bad for my first real race but one day I want to get in B! And solely because I hear the crowds are worse the further back you are. Hoping c isn’t too bad!

It won’t be bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter