2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

For those that modified dates rather than making reservations when FD dropped, how did it work for you? Would you make advanced reservations and modify or make new reservations?

For me, I had a panic when I needed to change my kids age in their profile to match their age when traveling (you would think Disney would update it automatically) mid transaction. Was able to get my rooms, but would rather not go through that again.

I've just been browsing the Disney website to see what is available for our dates still, we're going 9/21-9/25, and it seems like the Family Suites at ASMu and at AoA are still available, all 3 themes for AoA, along with some bookings at CSR, Sports, and CBR. I was looking as if there were 4 adults going. Even though we had already gotten FD for our trip yesterday, there still seem to be a little bit of variety for choices of rooms.

I do wonder if they had opened up some of the Finding Nemo Suites at AoA, or unless some people dropped (like us in the end) and they decided to put them back into the promotion. Our TA booked us in the general Family Suites since there didn't seem to be any availability for the Finding Nemo ones, which was our original choice. But my mom said that we were only going with that theme since I suggested it, so now instead of e-mailing our TA asking to change back to Finding Nemo, I think we'll just stick with the surprise

I was hoping for later dates, but was able to book FD for 11/25-12/01. We have never been there at the holidays - are my dates too early for the Christmas festivities? We'd like to see the candlelight processional and maybe MVMCP....and anything else you guys suggest. :santa: I may keep trying to find later dates if mine are too early.
thanks, everyone!
We were at Disney last year, Nov 25 to Dec 1st and it was a wonderful time to be there. The Candlelight Processional is going on and all the storytellers are in place in the World Showcase. Some of the resorts, like Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club and Yacht Club have beautiful Christmas decorations. It is well worth a trip to those resorts to see them. :)

I was hoping for later dates, but was able to book FD for 11/25-12/01. We have never been there at the holidays - are my dates too early for the Christmas festivities? We'd like to see the candlelight processional and maybe MVMCP....and anything else you guys suggest. :santa: I may keep trying to find later dates if mine are too early.
thanks, everyone!

Definitely not too early for Christmas festivities. We went November 12-20 last year and attended our first MVMCP. So fun! Candlelight processional should be going during your dates also.

Our Plan A didn't happen either (BC), but I'm excited for our Plan B (AKL). We upgraded to DxDP and have all ADR's made. Still need to tweak a bit and look up snack credits to get our best usage. I'm not going to lie, I'm still checking daily to see if BC opens up. It's wide open for our dates in August at full price, so there seems to be a lot of inventory. I don't know, though....we're pretty excited about AKL so we just might keep it. Only thing is we'll need to bring an air mattress for AKL because of their lack of daybeds there. We just stayed there last year, so we already know we love it! Just not the beds/no daybed and also not wild about only buses, but may use the new minnie van service at times!

thanks, everyone!

Keep your dates - they are not too early for Christmas festivities! We had similar dates last year and LOVED it. For me, the CP was a highlight. We did the CP package and ate at Chefs de France and it was our best meal of our trip. MVMCP was also very fun and festive. We'd do both again in a heartbeat. We might go again this year during that time frame because I don't think I can stay away!!

There seems to be a lot more availability for the november/december dates today than there was yesterday... still not what I need though!

For those that modified dates rather than making reservations when FD dropped, how did it work for you? Would you make advanced reservations and modify or make new reservations?

For me, I had a panic when I needed to change my kids age in their profile to match their age when traveling (you would think Disney would update it automatically) mid transaction. Was able to get my rooms, but would rather not go through that again.
I made advanced reservations and would do it the same way again. I also priced out different scenarios for the different rumors that were going around for what the package was going to be. Different number of days number of tickets with and without hopper also with and without dining plan added so I knew just what the price would be and how much I would be saving. I logged on about 505 and was done by 514

Hmm... It looks like my park ticket in the package booked with Disney is $5 higher than when purchasing the tickets separately with Disney. For example, $2,029 for 6 day park hopper for 3 Disney adults & 1 child in the package, vs. $2,024 for the same thing if purchased separately. No big deal but I'm just curious if that happens to everyone too and if so, why?

thanks, everyone!
Nope. You're good. We are going Nov. 22 - Dec.1 (although still trying to get our final couple of days tacked on to the FD portion of our split stay). We have MVMCP tickets already in hand for Sunday, Nov. 25, and they will run the processional during your time, too.

Wondering what you decided to do bc we had a similar situation last year for FD. We’d stayed at both of those resorts many times—really enjoying CSR as a mod, but really loving AKL best. Bc we’re a family of 4 “Disney adults,” when I calculated the cost of upgrading to regular DDP at CSR vs. it being included at AKL—bc we definitely wanted that—it was only about $200 more in all. For us, that number made it worth it. The slightly larger room, balcony(with animals in a partial savanna room!), proximity to restaurants we love & would visit anyway, lovely pool, short ride to AK & Pandora, & overall atmosphere of the resort were all major factors in our ultimate choice. We didn’t regret it once! As a matter of fact, we were reminded again just how much we love it & will be returning again this year in November. Whatever you choose, you’ll be at Disney & that’s what counts!
Wondering what you decided to do bc we had a similar situation last year for FD. We’d stayed at both of those resorts many times—really enjoying CSR as a mod, but really loving AKL best. Bc we’re a family of 4 “Disney adults,” when I calculated the cost of upgrading to regular DDP at CSR vs. it being included at AKL—bc we definitely wanted that—it was only about $200 more in all. For us, that number made it worth it. The slightly larger room, balcony(with animals in a partial savanna room!), proximity to restaurants we love & would visit anyway, lovely pool, short ride to AK & Pandora, & overall atmosphere of the resort were all major factors in our ultimate choice. We didn’t regret it once! As a matter of fact, we were reminded again just how much we love it & will be returning again this year in November. Whatever you choose, you’ll be at Disney & that’s what counts!

We decided on AKL! A standard room became available so it was a little less than originally quoted. I'm excited! We were already headed over there three times for restaurant reservations.

I remember this too and it I believe our package was under $2K for a family of 4! I was pregnant with my now 10 year old when we last did this so it would have been 2007.
We stayed in Dec 2007 with the free dining plan for 3 adults around Christmas for 5 nights at POFQ when it was included with 6 day PH for around $1500...gone are the days:sad2:

The latest version for 4 nights at Pop in value season for September is $2200 and it's only QS. No appetizers, no dessert and no tip included o_O

Last edited:
After I booked my free dining reservation yesterday, I got on the phone with my family members who were also going during the same period (family reunion) as they had already booked their rooms before the discount dropped and told them to modify their reservations. They had NO IDEA that offers like free dining existed. After a bit of reservation resort shuffling around, a few hours of phone calls, EVERYONE going on this trip will get free dining! My relatives were really grateful for my advice, as many of them were on an extreme budget and getting free dining shaved thousands of dollars in costs off their upcoming trip.

We can hardly wait until we can stuff ourselves at the Satu'li Canteen.

I think FD with a value if a family is OK with Quick service dining is an OK deal but to be honest, the prices for FD at a moderate and to upgrade to regular DDP or booking at rack rate for a deluxe is really not that great of a deal. We have been going to Disney for the last 12 straight years and we went during FD years ago when it was a great value (yes, I know the economy has changed and Disney has become fully aware of that, yes they are in it for the $$$, they are a big business). I just can't believe how "expensive" free dining has become. It is nothing like it used to be. We still go but don't do FD anymore. I went online yesterday to see how much a deluxe was for my family of 5 for 7 nights and it was over $7K. I couldn't believe it. Maybe that isn't a lot for a family of 5 for a week vacation but that is without flights, which would be an extra $1500. I guess with the economy going good, people are spending a lot more on vacation. Hope everyone enjoys their vacations, good value or not.

Was planning to go Sept this year but decided to go in Nov were going 24-30 at All Star Sports preferred room got free dining upgrade to dining plus. Can't wait to see all the Christmas decor we have been twice before in Nov but always before Thanksgiving so never got to see all the decorations.

We booked before Feb 11th.
That was probably part of the increase. We booked prior to the price increase with canadian discount tickets and it worked out to be approximately $700 more for CSR with free dining (originally booked at POR, no dining) we are a family of 4 whonwoulw definitely spend more than that on food in 10 days so paying the extra was worth it for us.

We have a suite booked at All Star Movies for our family of 5 at the end of August with FD. I was really hoping to score two rooms at POP but that seems highly improbable at this point. I called and spoke with a cast member today who stated there was not a single room available at POP for our dates. I mentioned that I would keep checking back in hopes people changed their mind and holds came available. She told me she had spoke with someone yesterday who booked five FD promos to decide which one they wanted.

Instead of aging her down, why not age her up to 10 and get adult credits for her dining plan. The difference would just be the price between a child ticket and an adult ticket. Then you have lots of extra credits to do some signature meals or do two TS on a couple days by paying OOP for her a la carte meals or just letting her share yours. Disney has no problem with you aging up, but if aging down were discovered, it could go badly.

Thank you for the idea! I would have never thought of that. Do you know how much is the price difference between a child's ticket & an adult?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter