• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

I'm trying to figure out how to dress for park days. I know I will be chilly in the mornings and evenings and will want long pants. I might want shorts in the afternoons though. What are your plans? Also, do you plan on taking cast-off sweats for the race morning?
It looks to be balmy for me... I will not need sweats pre race if it is in high 50s. For parks Monday and tuesday, I plan to wear shorts and tee, a lightweight sweatshirt that I can take off and tie around my waist.

The Expo has me slightly nervous. For those who have done this thing before, it notes in the guide that there's TWO official merch areas... one by bibs and the other in the expo hall area.

Which do you recommend? Where will the long line take me? (Disneyland's expos are so much easier??)

Yes, there are two, the one by bibs is smaller and has the usual selection. The other one is bigger and I remember seeing things in there that were not in the bib area. I usually hit both.

I'm trying to decide about throwaways. I always bring them for a race but I'm not planning to check a bag and since I'm running 3 races that would be a lot of extra clothes to bring. I have a mylar blanket from my last race and will get a new one after each race but I'm not sure that will be warm enough.

I wouldn't count on getting a Mylar wrap after each race. If it's warm-ish, like it was at marathon weekend this year, you probably won't get one after the 5k or the 10k. I'd buy some cheap sweats or a blanket at Goodwill and bring that instead.

The Expo has me slightly nervous. For those who have done this thing before, it notes in the guide that there's TWO official merch areas... one by bibs and the other in the expo hall area.

If merchandise is important, go to the big merchandise area first. Once you've done that, THEN go to the other and get your bibs. Then get your included shirts.

For anyone wondering about Altras & me...oh WOW. Lovely. Finally was able to jog a bit in them, and it went well.

Because the universe has to keep throwing things at me....The last week has been misery after I did something weird to ribs/spine. I'm not broken, since I have times of no pain (like 40 minutes of my hour long yoga class). DH tells me it's not like a kidney infection, which he has had. So I think I've just done something funky, and as usual (with me) I have to be gentle with myself and wait it out (along with chiro and perhaps acupuncture if I can get in). But because of that, a plumbing problem the water utility here in town has discovered (we have a leak between house and meter), and my son's dance convention this weekend, I haven't had a chance to really try the Altras. But today I did. And weirdly my rib hurt less than when I was walking. Bizarre.

I was freaking out (more than a little bit) this last week, thinking I was going to have to stay home (especially b/c of the flight), and really actually starting to think that through and working out how to tell my cousin. But now maybe I think I can handle it. One step at a time, maybe, is how I should take it. And the first step is the flight.

16832326_1798439700181984_6330727336142088393_n.jpg

Having a little (BIG) freak out... a big snowstorm is predicted for my travel day (Friday). I usually try to always stay calm and not overreact, but this is making me really nervous. :guilty:

I'm 95% packed! One more day at work, a play to attend tonight, then an early alarm for my flight to Orlando tomorrow!!!

Anyone know where I can buy the individually wrapped moist towlettes like restaurants give out? I've gone to Dick's Sporting Goods and Walgreens.

Having a little (BIG) freak out... a big snowstorm is predicted for my travel day (Friday). I usually try to always stay calm and not overreact, but this is making me really nervous. :guilty:
Oh no!! I agree with @JulieODC, maybe look into trying to shift your flight if possible! I remember a few people did that before Marathon Weekend in January.
Anyone know where I can buy the individually wrapped moist towlettes like restaurants give out? I've gone to Dick's Sporting Goods and Walgreens.
Something like these? I would think Target would have them? https://www.amazon.com/Purell-9022-...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=Q9GABQ47724BKMR8HNK1&th=1
Even though there's really nothing for me to buy I'm still getting impatient to see this stuff (this is my cheapest expo of the year lol). When they post that means we're that much closer to the weekend starting!!
Totally agree with this! I won't buy much but like you said, it means we're that much closer...I'm more anxious to see the race shirts! :hyper:

This is my first disney race and my 5th half marathon. In training I've PR'd my previous halfs and I would like to do that this weekend, however every blog I read is very negative about getting a PR on this course. Other people I have talked to have said the same thing. I'm in corral C, I have done very large races before and I will be there for 3 days prior with my kids in the parks so I don't have as much of a need to stop for pictures. I know that you pay for the experience but I also wanted to race this race...is it really impossible to PR?

This is my first disney race and my 5th half marathon. In training I've PR'd my previous halfs and I would like to do that this weekend, however every blog I read is very negative about getting a PR on this course. Other people I have talked to have said the same thing. I'm in corral C, I have done very large races before and I will be there for 3 days prior with my kids in the parks so I don't have as much of a need to stop for pictures. I know that you pay for the experience but I also wanted to race this race...is it really impossible to PR?
No, especially since you'll be starting in Corral C - you're starting early enough that you'll be out in front of most of the other participants.

Bottlenecks happen on the course due to photo stops and areas where the course gets narrow and people slow down to "take it all in," take pictures, etc. The "worst offenders" (in my opinion) are World Drive as you approach the Contemporary (1 lane of traffic to run in), Main Street in Magic Kingdom, running back out through the castle, and right when you leave Magic Kingdom (again, 1 lane of traffic). But again, since you're in Corral C, I don't think you'll experience this much unless you stop for pictures, bathroom, etc. :confused3

Only thing I'm interested in for merchandise is a visor and maybe a car magnet. I preordered the jacket. Not holding my breath on the visor. Apparently princesses only wear hats LOL!!!!

Do the shoe ornaments sell out quickly? That is really all I want, but we won't get there until Thursday afternoon...

No, especially since you'll be starting in Corral C - you're starting early enough that you'll be out in front of most of the other participants.

Bottlenecks happen on the course due to photo stops and areas where the course gets narrow and people slow down to "take it all in," take pictures, etc. The "worst offenders" (in my opinion) are World Drive as you approach the Contemporary (1 lane of traffic to run in), Main Street in Magic Kingdom, running back out through the castle, and right when you leave Magic Kingdom (again, 1 lane of traffic). But again, since you're in Corral C, I don't think you'll experience this much unless you stop for pictures, bathroom, etc. :confused3

Thank you so much for your response! I know that it will be congested, I fully expect that. I am from the Detroit area and have ran the Detroit international half a few times where you run over a bridge in one lane and people stop for pictures over the bridge and you are weaving between people. I completely understand those who do want to take it all in, and I am SO excited for the experience and plan to take some selfies and pictures as I run, but I just can't find any blogs that say " YOU CAN PR" everyone says you can't. LOL :)

Do the shoe ornaments sell out quickly? That is really all I want, but we won't get there until Thursday afternoon...
This seems to be the hot item of the year. If the expo is out make sure you check the merchandise tent at the finish line after the half. Some showed up in there after the Star Wars half even though the expo had sold out on the first day. I'm assuming they're the pre order ones that weren't picked up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter