• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

She replied to me that it will be 0:30/0:30s intervals.

At Surf City they were doing 5 minutes running, 1 minute walking.... not sure how i feel about 30/30 intervals, but if the great Galloway recommends it, then I'm game. I need ANYTHING to get me from a 2:52 to a 2:34 by the end of the year. Why not start now and go for a 2:44:59.

At Surf City they were doing 5 minutes running, 1 minute walking.... not sure how i feel about 30/30 intervals, but if the great Galloway recommends it, then I'm game. I need ANYTHING to get me from a 2:52 to a 2:34 by the end of the year. Why not start now and go for a 2:44:59.

I tried 30:30 for the first time at SW 10k. It was annoying but ultimately was very good. Did it for the half as well and it's how I lived through it lol.

Though I was coming from a 1 minute interval so it wasn't too drastic.

I also wear a flipbelt. Love it! Good idea about the babywipe too! I'm so excited I can barely sleep! I'm running as Minnie. My only strategy is to finish but I'm terrified of seeing the balloon ladies. I want pics but don't wanna get swept!

I tried 30:30 for the first time at SW 10k. It was annoying but ultimately was very good. Did it for the half as well and it's how I lived through it lol.

Though I was coming from a 1 minute interval so it wasn't too drastic.

I tend to run starting at the beginning until I can't run anymore. I usually burn out by mile 11 so I'm hoping this allows me to finish strong. What's the harm in trying right? You having a success story with it makes me feel better.

Galloway qualified for and ran Boston with 30/30. I'm actually doing 15/15 right now. My PR is 2:59 with 30/30 and that is with a long bathroom line and a lot of photos. I could have done at least a 2:45, if not better. Really, once you get used to it, it's not a big deal.

I tend to run starting at the beginning until I can't run anymore. I usually burn out by mile 11 so I'm hoping this allows me to finish strong. What's the harm in trying right? You having a success story with it makes me feel better.

I know that works for a lot of people, but I run intervals from minute one and I don't burn out.

I strongly recommend thinking about not starting like that. Following intervals from the beginning is mentally hard and even physically difficult with crowding, but if you do it you likely won't burn out at 11.

For me it gives me the oomph to run longer if I truly need to, like during real crowding later when it would be unsafe, not just annoying, to slow. Or at the finish.

I strongly recommend thinking about not starting like that. Following intervals from the beginning is mentally hard and even physically difficult with crowding, but if you do it you likely won't burn out at 11.

For me it gives me the oomph to run longer if I truly need to, like during real crowding later when it would be unsafe, not just annoying, to slow. Or at the finish.

Yup. Sometimes I'll skip an interval, to get around someone, but not much more than that.

I also strongly, strongly recommend the short interval approach, unless you are a premier athlete. Last month, I ran my first full marathon at Disney. While leaving the Expo, I just happened to walk past a talk being given by Jeff Galloway. He was pitching 30s/30s or 30s/15s or whatever short interval is appropriate for you. He explained that your energy lasts longer, you are less susceptible to injury, and your time improves. Based on his talk, I changed my race plan--I could not quite go for 30s/30s at that point, because it seemed such a radical change from what I was used to--but I did drastically shorten my interval to 1m/1m. I saw quite a number of people following 30s/30s during the race. My only goal was to finish, since it was my first marathon. Here is the result--(1) I never tired the whole way, I promise; (2) my Fitbit heartbeat record of the race showed an average heart rate of 140 bpm, nice and low; (3) I got 6:14 time, decent for me (now 50-something) and included about 15 minutes standing time for my friend to use the restroom in Animal Kingdom; (4) I ran Mile 26 (because it was the last mile) without walking intervals; (5) my calf muscles were sore at the end, but I was back at the gym doing step aerobics on Tuesday; and (6) most importantly, I had absolutely the most fun I have ever had in a race,because I did not overstress my body.

So, I am a Galloway convert. Normally, I would have run the first 3 miles or so without stopping and then transitioned to 4m:1m for next Sunday's half marathon--I have done probably 6 Half Marathons that way in the last 3 years, normally finishing in around 2:30. I now plan to run 1:40m and walk 20s from the very start. (Maybe I will shorten the interval even more next race.) Discipline is the key--even though I could easily run several miles at the start without a stop, I believe Galloway when he says that the overall race performance would deteriorate and body stress and chance of injury would increase. You have to maintain the discipline not to run for uninterrupted long intervals at the start of the race.

I was just looking at the map of the Expo and it looks like they moved the 5K shirt pick up to the field house with the GSC shirt pick up. That makes me happy. I hate fighting the crowd at the J center near the official merch.

I agree with @40-Something Kid, I set W&D half as my goal while visiting WDW marathon weekend 2016. I had NEVER ran before...ever! I ran 3 days a week and followed JG mileage. I didn't follow intervals but trained at a good 9:40-9:50 pace and ran my first half six weeks before W&D. It was hilly and I had some IT band issues prior to but finished 2:36 (my goal was 2:30) and I was pleased. I was very worried for W&D, but just went to have fun and finish what I started. I was in corral E and started strong but passed the 2:15 Pacers and was like "pump the brakes" if these people are going to finish at my all time goal I'm sticking with them! I couldn't believe I finished 2:16:09 (I was a bit fatigued the last mile but I didn't take my second gu when I planned...darn it). No pain! Felt great! I'm a believer!! Needless to say, I've been training run-walk, 3min/1 min. I'm not sure if it counts as a PR but I ran 13.1 on my treadmill feb9 2:15:30. Sorry so long winded but I just wanted to share my story! I plan to train this way for my first marathon next year!

I have no doubt you'll get there! I shaved 20 mins off my time!

You are going to do GREAT! You'll be amazed! I hope to run into you but if I don't, I can't wait to hear how you did"

Ps: I just figured out the multi quote thing! Lol

OH NO!!!! My mom is currently having an emergency appendectomy!

I'm definitely still going, but this will either become a solo trip :sad: or will be a much slower-paced one. We had so much planned!

You are going to do GREAT! You'll be amazed! I hope to run into you but if I don't, I can't wait to hear how you did"

Ps: I just figured out the multi quote thing! Lol

Let me send you a PM and we can coordinate a meet up. :)

I'm definitely still going, but this will either become a solo trip :sad: or will be a much slower-paced one. We had so much planned!

Dislike - I am so sorry to hear this. Whatever you decide, I hope all goes well. :(

I am wondering if anyone has run a full race with the pacers to know how they handle things like bathroom breaks? Do people just catch up? I would like to run with the 2h30m group but can't really picture how that would work.

I am wondering if anyone has run a full race with the pacers to know how they handle things like bathroom breaks? Do people just catch up? I would like to run with the 2h30m group but can't really picture how that would work.
I ran the entire W&D half with pacers. I just kept with the pack and never stopped for bathroom break. We walked through water breaks.

I ran a marathon with a pacer. I walked through the water stops but he didn't, so I just ran faster after I walked to catch up again. It was fine. It would probably be harder to catch up after a bathroom stop. I don't usually make bathroom breaks during a race but I have to stop drinking anything 2+ hours before race start in order to do that.

This is my first rundisney event. I had a question about expo and pick up. I know runners have to pick up their own bib and you can't pick up someone else's. Does that apply to Chear Squad as well, or would I be able to pick up my parents chear squad? TYIA

I also strongly, strongly recommend the short interval approach, unless you are a premier athlete. Last month, I ran my first full marathon at Disney. While leaving the Expo, I just happened to walk past a talk being given by Jeff Galloway. He was pitching 30s/30s or 30s/15s or whatever short interval is appropriate for you. He explained that your energy lasts longer, you are less susceptible to injury, and your time improves. Based on his talk, I changed my race plan--I could not quite go for 30s/30s at that point, because it seemed such a radical change from what I was used to--but I did drastically shorten my interval to 1m/1m. I saw quite a number of people following 30s/30s during the race. My only goal was to finish, since it was my first marathon. Here is the result--(1) I never tired the whole way, I promise; (2) my Fitbit heartbeat record of the race showed an average heart rate of 140 bpm, nice and low; (3) I got 6:14 time, decent for me (now 50-something) and included about 15 minutes standing time for my friend to use the restroom in Animal Kingdom; (4) I ran Mile 26 (because it was the last mile) without walking intervals; (5) my calf muscles were sore at the end, but I was back at the gym doing step aerobics on Tuesday; and (6) most importantly, I had absolutely the most fun I have ever had in a race,because I did not overstress my body.

So, I am a Galloway convert. Normally, I would have run the first 3 miles or so without stopping and then transitioned to 4m:1m for next Sunday's half marathon--I have done probably 6 Half Marathons that way in the last 3 years, normally finishing in around 2:30. I now plan to run 1:40m and walk 20s from the very start. (Maybe I will shorten the interval even more next race.) Discipline is the key--even though I could easily run several miles at the start without a stop, I believe Galloway when he says that the overall race performance would deteriorate and body stress and chance of injury would increase. You have to maintain the discipline not to run for uninterrupted long intervals at the start of the race.

I agree with @40-Something Kid, I set W&D half as my goal while visiting WDW marathon weekend 2016. I had NEVER ran before...ever! I ran 3 days a week and followed JG mileage. I didn't follow intervals but trained at a good 9:40-9:50 pace and ran my first half six weeks before W&D. It was hilly and I had some IT band issues prior to but finished 2:36 (my goal was 2:30) and I was pleased. I was very worried for W&D, but just went to have fun and finish what I started. I was in corral E and started strong but passed the 2:15 Pacers and was like "pump the brakes" if these people are going to finish at my all time goal I'm sticking with them! I couldn't believe I finished 2:16:09 (I was a bit fatigued the last mile but I didn't take my second gu when I planned...darn it). No pain! Felt great! I'm a believer!! Needless to say, I've been training run-walk, 3min/1 min. I'm not sure if it counts as a PR but I ran 13.1 on my treadmill feb9 2:15:30. Sorry so long winded but I just wanted to share my story! I plan to train this way for my first marathon next year!

This makes me really happy. It works so well for me, I'm glad to see others finding this method as well.

I'm so sorry. Praying for her recovery.

Woke up this morning with a stuffy nose and a sore throat. Taking Zicam and pushing the water hoping that helps. I leave Tuesday hopefully without this cold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter