• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

I had my Thursday night running club tonight and stocked up on Gus for PHM! I can't go next Thursday - so last one before the race. Felt so far away when this session started last fall!

I use a flipbelt and love it! I also wear sparkle skirts sometimes that have a zipper
Pocket and leg pockets. Both will fit my
iPhone 6+ too.

Does anyone know about what time they will start charging for parking? I'm trying to figure out if I want DH to come when I'll be close to finishing the 10k & half. But if they'll be charging parking by then then I'd rather he not waste the money since we aren't doing parks.

:grouphug::hug: just think.... soon you'll be in Disney. It'll be a nice break. I'm sorry this is all happening to you all at once.

This is where I am. I really need this trip.

Ouch!

I still vaguely remember the day that started my knee nonsense though I didn't fully realize it at the time. In a challenging yoga class, going into a simple lunge, not focused (it was "just" a lunge) and the forward leg got wobbly and went side to side. I think it was then that something happened to my knee. And I'm still dealing with it.

Things can change in a millisecond. You have my empathy.

So true! I bent over to look at a magazine in the grocery store once. My back was never really the same.

My race plan is: 1. Finish 2. Have fun 3. Take lots of photos! Beyond that, we are doing the same run/walk intervals we have been training with. Usually 30/30 with some longer runs and longer walks based on how we feel.

I have been dealing with sciatic pain for the last several weeks. I've been going to the chiropractor but it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm not sure what to do.

Same here. I'm doing the 5K and 10K. For the 5K, I'm walking and taking pictures. I did it last year (out of necessity) and had a blast. For the 10K, I'll run with very short intervals, not worry about time at all, and probably take selfies, but not stand in photo lines.

I was looking at pictures from previous races and I couple a question for those that have done this before. Do you run with a belt or something to carry your stuff and/or water? It seems so many people don't from the pics! I get maybe not having your own water since there are water stations, maybe people with strong stomachs don't need to bring their own fuel and just use whatever is at the race, but I always have my phone, gels, little thing of electrolyte salts besides my water and car key. How do people run a half marathon with what seems like nothing? :confused:

I am still trying to find the holy grail of something to carry stuff in. I love my Flipbelt for shorter distances, but I haven't tried it for a long distance yet. I like to carry a lot of stuff. I probably carry too much, but it's kind of like a security blanket. It calms me.

While I'm thinking about it, does anyone know when fuel they will probably have? I know it is Clif. They had the blocks at my first race, and I honestly can't remember my second!

Almost certainly clif shot gel.

And if you're slower like I am, it might be out by the time you get there. Like it was when I went by the last January half I did. But I don't care as I don't use that and I carry my own fuel!

I am still trying to find the holy grail of something to carry stuff in. I love my Flipbelt for shorter distances, but I haven't tried it for a long distance yet. I like to carry a lot of stuff. I probably carry too much, but it's kind of like a security blanket. It calms me.

I carry too much sometimes. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it LOL!!!

I wear a spibelt to carry by clip blocks/sport beans, inhaler, phone, and chapstick. The other item I must have when I run is a baby washcloth. My nose always runs when I do, especially if it is cold, and the washcloth doesn't fall apart like tissues do. The cheapie baby washcloths are thin, small, and perfect. It is kind of gross, but better than dealing with snot the whole time!

While I'm thinking about it, does anyone know when fuel they will probably have? I know it is Clif. They had the blocks at my first race, and I honestly can't remember my second!

Baby washcloth! Brilliant-- I will try it this weekend. I have the same problem. And for my long runs, I have been loaded down with a half dozen kleenexes or more. Without a jacket I wasn't sure how I would do that.

My race plan:
10k- walk, take picture, enjoy, run with strangers if they need support but mainly just relish in the event. Hopefully get more comfortable with the whole rD thing for the next day (this is my first).
Half- I am starting in F. I plan to do 2min/1min intervals as much as is possible with crowds, etc. My training runs have ended up about 12min miles with that interval. I am bringing my own Gu because I need it every 3 miles. I am not sure yet on water because I dehydrate easily and am not used to FL weather but I will probably NOT carry water. I will stop for photos if there is one I want. I plan to wait at the gospel choir (if I can) for my brother in P to catch up and we will finish together.

Also, are there garbage cans frequently along the course? I don't really want to carry my sticky used GU packs for miles, but I will if I have to.

Also, are there garbage cans frequently along the course? I don't really want to carry my sticky used GU packs for miles, but I will if I have to.

In the corrals and parks, at all water stations and first aide stations. You also see trash along the course as some just throw in on the ground... not cool in my opinion. Guess you could throw away in porta potty.

Baby washcloth! Brilliant-- I will try it this weekend. I have the same problem. And for my long runs, I have been loaded down with a half dozen kleenexes or more. Without a jacket I wasn't sure how I would do that.

My race plan:
10k- walk, take picture, enjoy, run with strangers if they need support but mainly just relish in the event. Hopefully get more comfortable with the whole rD thing for the next day (this is my first).
Half- I am starting in F. I plan to do 2min/1min intervals as much as is possible with crowds, etc. My training runs have ended up about 12min miles with that interval. I am bringing my own Gu because I need it every 3 miles. I am not sure yet on water because I dehydrate easily and am not used to FL weather but I will probably NOT carry water. I will stop for photos if there is one I want. I plan to wait at the gospel choir (if I can) for my brother in P to catch up and we will finish together.

Sounds like we have a very similar race place - corral F here too :)

I don't really have a plan, but I'm not looking to PR on any of these races. I'll work on that during a non-Disney race. I just want to take time and get some photos. I turn 40yo tomorrow and never imagined myself running a half marathon at this age. I'm just celebrating being happy and healthy the entire race weekend!

Happy Birthday! :cake:
I finished my first half marathon (Princess) the week before my 46th Birthday. Never imagined I would run (walk) half marathons either! Have done 3 more since - all at Disney!

I love reading all of your goals. :)

@run.minnie.miles and I are in corral H. Anyone else? I'd love to pace you!

I'm in H too! Considering starting with the pace group, but that may depend on the intervals.

Pacer info from a FB group-
Kimberly Oehrlein will be pacing the 2:45 group (12:35/mile), starting at the front of H.

My goals for race weekend -

I've been struggling with my knee, so real goal is to finish. I can probably get through a lot of the half before I have issues.

5k - Most or all the Character stops!!! I did all but one the last time I did a 5k.
10k - Most of the charachter stops! (will depend on who it is, how long is the line and if I already have a photo with them)
Also for both just take some photos in world showcase - love that part of the course!
Half - Same as 10k, will stop for some photos. Probably not going to stop until MK unless its a really unusual character meet, but I'll take time and enjoy the MK. Hoping to stay ahead of pace (even with stops) for the first half in case my knee bothers me later on.

I need to sort out all my costumes & pack. I have 2 set, but need to try with accessories (Belle in blue, and purple for Rapunzel theme) but undecided on a 3rd - I have a lot of ideas though, which is part of the problem!

I leave in 6 days, so getting really excited!!! And I have a 3 day weekend, so next week is a 2 day workweek. So hard to focus on anything non-Disney or non-running.

Pacer info from a FB group-
Kimberly Oehrlein will be pacing the 2:45 group (12:35/mile), starting at the front of H.

I, too, will be starting at the front of H and will find her at the Pace booth to find out what intervals she's running. Please share any information you find out. I'll get there early and look for the awesome runner holding the sign.

Edit: I'll be the runner dressed as Elsa-inspired. You can't miss me :)

Happy Birthday @Bree !!! I hope you are celebrating big today!

I won't be spending a lot of time at the expo, so would also be interested what intervals she'll be running. I don't think it's a good idea for me to change on race day if it's different than mine..

My lungs are taking their dear sweet time clearing up so I have a question. I have read that in the past there has only been one sweep spot for the 10k at around the halfway point, was this still the case last year and in recent 10ks? The reason I ask is I'd really like to get a picture with vacation Genie if he is out but I don't want to get swept doing it. Ideally my lungs will be all better and my pace will be good enough that I don't have to worry but I'd like to be prepared.

That's a good question. I've never run a race like this before, so I'm uncertain exactly how the sweeping works. I know to beware of the dreaded balloon ladies and all that, but is there a point at which one can feel safe and know they won't be swept?

So, I am sure I sound like a crazy person, but I am at a loss on what to do. I have been lurking on these boards as I am signed up for the 5k and 10k. Unfirtunately my two running buddies may be dropping out of the trip, leaving me with a hotel room I would rather not pay for. It's room only, so I could cancel, but I see no cheaper availability at this point. Anybody know of either someone looking for an on site room willing to split a room at yacht club, or someone with a cheaper stay looking to save on hotel costs?

27 y.o. Female, would prefer a female roomie. Easy going and out of the room into the parks most all day. Looking Thurs - at least Mon, but possibly through Wed.

Could also use someone around a 12 min estimate for the 10k (same corral as me) to french braid or just braid hair to go with my village belle outfit.

Does anyone know about what time they will start charging for parking? I'm trying to figure out if I want DH to come when I'll be close to finishing the 10k & half. But if they'll be charging parking by then then I'd rather he not waste the money since we aren't doing parks.

I think I read that they start charging at 7.

I carry too much sometimes. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it LOL!!!

Exactly! That's also why I overpack and why I always carry a huge purse.

Right? Genius! I am constantly having a runny nose when I run.

The disney springs deals looked awesome. Just realized we didn't dedicate any time to there. Nooo. Now I have to make plans to head over!!

I, too, will be starting at the front of H and will find her at the Pace booth to find out what intervals she's running. Please share any information you find out. I'll get there early and look for the awesome runner holding the sign.

Edit: I'll be the runner dressed as Elsa-inspired. You can't miss me :)

I won't be spending a lot of time at the expo, so would also be interested what intervals she'll be running. I don't think it's a good idea for me to change on race day if it's different than mine..

She replied to me that it will be 0:30/0:30s intervals.

I'm still figuring out my 3rd outfit, and which I'm wearing for the half. If I see you @courtneybeth I will say Hi.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter