2017 DDP changes

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
I am considering using the DDP's for our March 2017 trip but want to make sure that what would make sense for our family is allowed. We have 3 studios booked for 8 adults and 1 child. I am considering booking the child and one adult in one studio with the DXDDP, 4 adults in one studio with the QSDP and another studio with 2 adults, no DDP. Can I share the child's TS credits amongst the family , including those not on the DDP at all? Can we use the child's TS credits that come with her DXDP for the other adults? I would also be buying 6 adult CS meals at a time with the credits from the room with 4 adults listed and want to make sure this is OK also. I guess what I am asking is it ok to share credits with people not on a plan, buy more CS meals than guests in room and pay for adults at TS with kid's credits?:crazy:

The thing to keep in mind is that someone in the room with the DxDDP will have to be the one paying, you can't just shove the credits at another room. Ditto the QSDP - someone in that room must pay for those meals.

All reports say everything you want to do is allowed. You MAY come across a restaurant that won't let you use the kid's credit for an adult meal (that is still written in the brochure), but you may not. Of course, Via Napoli would not be a good dining choice as they will not let you do what you want, but I can't think of any others that consistently say no.

However, you do take the chance that what is okay today may not be tomorrow. Mar 2017 is a long way away, so I'd be keeping an eye out here for any changes in practice.

Don't forget, 2017 QS meals only come with entree and drink; you lose the dessert component. But you do get one extra snack per night.

That's a lot to process. Here's the Cliff's Notes...

DDP, DxDDP, and QSDP are a pool of credits. You can feed however many people you want to feed with them at any given meal, as long as there are available credits in the "pool"..even people who aren't on the dining plan. The catch is that a person who is booked in the room with the dining plan you're planning on using has to be there to pay with their magic band.

As far as paying for adult TS meals with child credits....I wouldn't bank on it. I think some have reported here that child credits on the DxDDP are the same as adult credits at TS restaurants, but that seems to be Disboards legend. Nowhere in Disney literature does it state that you can use child credits as adult credits at TS restaurants on the DxDDP. As a matter of fact, it flatly states on the DxCDP brochure from Disney that "Guests age 3-9 must order from a children's menu where available"...which may or may not tie in to an adult trying to use a child dining credit. It's a nice thought of trying to beat the system, but I don't think it works. Some places may allow it...lots of others may not.

DDP, DxDDP, and QSDP are a pool of credits. You can feed however many people you want to feed with them at any given meal, as long as there are available credits in the "pool"..even people who aren't on the dining plan. The catch is that a person who is booked in the room with the dining plan you're planning on using has to be there to pay with their magic band.

As far as paying for adult TS meals with child credits....I wouldn't bank on it. I think some have reported here that child credits on the DxDDP are the same as adult credits at TS restaurants, but that seems to be Disboards legend. Nowhere in Disney literature does it state that you can use child credits as adult credits at TS restaurants on the DxDDP. As a matter of fact, it flatly states on the DxCDP brochure from Disney that "Guests age 3-9 must order from a children's menu where available"...which may or may not tie in to an adult trying to use a child dining credit. It's a nice thought of trying to beat the system, but I don't think it works. Some places may allow it...lots of others may not.
I think that comes from when people get their receipt, much like with QS credits, their credits are always just listed as credits and not separated out between child and adult like they are with the regular DDP. I think that has been confirmed and is not legend. The thing that is more restaurant and wait-staff dependent is whether a child sitting at the table and using the DxDDP will be allowed to order off an adult menu. That is different than having say 36 TS credits and using them all on adult meals for adults sitting at the table and paying OOP for kids to eat kids meals. I don't think the PoS system has any way of telling if the credits are adult credits or kid credits. they are just all credits. The wait staff does not know what the makeup of your room with the DxDDP is - for all they know it is all adults. They are not even TS or QS. just credits. This may be why it's that way on DxDDP and not regular now that I think of it.

Thanks, but I thought I was pretty clear that I'm not trying to "beat the system" and want to be reasonably sure that my plans are allowed. I know things can and do change constantly with DDP but I'm looking for advice as to what is currently allowed.

Thanks, but I thought I was pretty clear that I'm not trying to "beat the system" and want to be reasonably sure that my plans are allowed. I know things can and do change constantly with DDP but I'm looking for advice as to what is currently allowed.

You can call it whatever you want, but buying a child's DXDDP with the intention to feed adults with it at TS restaurants is pretty much the definition of trying to beat the system.

I think that comes from when people get their receipt, much like with QS credits, their credits are always just listed as credits and not separated out between child and adult like they are with the regular DDP. I think that has been confirmed and is not legend. The thing that is more restaurant and wait-staff dependent is whether a child sitting at the table and using the DxDDP will be allowed to order off an adult menu. That is different than having say 36 TS credits and using them all on adult meals for adults sitting at the table and paying OOP for kids to eat kids meals. I don't think the PoS system has any way of telling if the credits are adult credits or kid credits. they are just all credits. The wait staff does not know what the makeup of your room with the DxDDP is - for all they know it is all adults. They are not even TS or QS. just credits. This may be why it's that way on DxDDP and not regular now that I think of it.
Very helpful, thank you.Strange that the credits aren't differentiated on DxDDP. It has been several years since we've used the QS plan but IIRC they weren't with that plan either.

I am considering using the DDP's for our March 2017 trip but want to make sure that what would make sense for our family is allowed. We have 3 studios booked for 8 adults and 1 child. I am considering booking the child and one adult in one studio with the DXDDP, 4 adults in one studio with the QSDP and another studio with 2 adults, no DDP. Can I share the child's TS credits amongst the family , including those not on the DDP at all? Can we use the child's TS credits that come with her DXDP for the other adults? I would also be buying 6 adult CS meals at a time with the credits from the room with 4 adults listed and want to make sure this is OK also. I guess what I am asking is it ok to share credits with people not on a plan, buy more CS meals than guests in room and pay for adults at TS with kid's credits?:crazy:
We traveled with four family groups this June. Two of the rooms had the DDP and two of the rooms were not on any plan. We didn't have any trouble when sharing the TS credits. The tricky part came when we traveled separately and used the CS and snack credits when we weren't all together. The person who is not on the dining plan needs to have a Magic Band that belongs to someone who is on the dining plan in order to use a snack credit or cs credit. This situation came up most often at breakfast or when using a snack credit. That is when we were most likely to be traveling separately.

We have 3 studios booked for 8 adults and 1 child. I am considering booking the child and one adult in one studio with the DXDDP, 4 adults in one studio with the QSDP and another studio with 2 adults, no DDP.

That's only seven adults

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter