2016 stocking stuffer ideas thread

I want to get some candy/snacks from other countries and split them between stockings. The candy section of the Japan store in Epcot is the highlight of Epcot. Does anyone have suggestions on a good place to get some? As far as I know, we have no international food stores in our area.
I've gotten some from Amazon.

I want to get some candy/snacks from other countries and split them between stockings. The candy section of the Japan store in Epcot is the highlight of Epcot. Does anyone have suggestions on a good place to get some? As far as I know, we have no international food stores in our area.

Are you looking specifically for Japanese candy/snacks? If so, Skoshbox is a monthly sunscription that delivers Japanese treats. I think its like $12 a month, but you can cancel after one month of delivery. We did that for my dd's stocking last year.

Most areas of some size have an Asian market, check the phone book or Yelp - you might just not know where they are. Many are small groceries that wouldn't necessarily stand out to you as such. I'd try to find one that targets the Japanese population if you can, but if not, try any Asian market - they will usually carry stuff from a variety of countries.

Amazon and the subscription boxes will end up costing you a lot more than getting it locally at a market.

There's a sale at the Disney Store so I picked up personalized wallets for each of the younger kids (12.95) and Vera Bradley Bloom ID case and lanyard for older DD. The VB stuff wasn't on sale but I always try to get in what I need under the free shipping. Christmas themed stuff is 25% off right now if anyone is looking.

You should see if there is a World Market store around you or their online store. I've only ever bought from their actual store, ramune and pocky.

Stocking stuffers are a challenge now I'm filling for 3 adult males, DS18, DH and my Dad. I do have a little start:

DS -- earphones
DH -- Giant Tic Tac containers, these also take up a lot of room in the stocking :)
Dad -- Salted cashews in a fancy glass jar, coffee candy from Trader Joe's

They don't like chocolate, so that means a lot of little candy things are out. We tend to give gift cards as presents, so I'm looking for lots of ideas!

Maria :upsidedow

Hi Maria,,,,I'm in the same boat
I have lots of males to buy for (all adults)

so far I have:
sports socks
razors
shaving cream
pocket mini flashlights
barbecue lighter
duct tape--they always find a use for this,,it's a family joke that every time something breaks their dad will try to fix it with Duct tape.
travel size advil,mouth wash,toothpaste,dental floss,toothbrush
soap on a rope
Tic tacs
body wash
nail clippers
beard balm
lypsyl lip balm
AA and AAA batteries
poly to go--polysporin
new wallets--bit of cash tucked inside
texting gloves (hole in the thumb and pointer finger and textured grip).
slippers
mini bottle liquor
new hot beverage thermos
Play-Doh canisters with a bit of money
Bag of Ricola cough drops
canister of chewing gum.
Magic Bag (microwave heating bag)
Hand warmers
stainless steel flask

A few years ago I bought them all mini nerf guns and you'd have thought I was the BEST mom in the world....lord they drove me nuts shooting those things for almost a year.
One son is a computer analyst,,another a computer programmer and the third teaches at risk kids so tech stuff is out as they pretty much have all that kind of stuff.
I will be adding 7 or 8 gift cards in with the stocking stuff. I am looking for cute ways to wrap up the gift cards.

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Do you have a World Market near you? They have a whole section with foods from a bunch of countries. I plan to make a run there myself, for items from Scotland (DS19 went over the summer) and Italy (girls trip shaping up for next summer). I know they have stuff from Japan, I remember seeing Hello Kitty candies. While the store is fun, generally, it's not cheap. Also, I feel that South American is under-represented--this is important, DD21 is currently in Ecuador, and has also visited Peru, so I was looking specifically for items from those places. That might not matter to you, though. You can sometimes find World Market coupons in magazines.

If that doesn't work for you, you could try online (from World Market or elsewhere). You could also google your zipcode and see what pops up--I accidently found that a toy store near me has Bertie Bott's Beans. I never would have thought to stop in there (but now I will!)

Also, when Trader Joe's comes out with their Christmas stuff, they have some international things. Again, worth a look if you have one nearby.

Most areas of some size have an Asian market, check the phone book or Yelp - you might just not know where they are. Many are small groceries that wouldn't necessarily stand out to you as such. I'd try to find one that targets the Japanese population if you can, but if not, try any Asian market - they will usually carry stuff from a variety of countries.

Amazon and the subscription boxes will end up costing you a lot more than getting it locally at a market.

This is a good idea, too. I'm doing something similar with the South American stuff I just mentioned. There's a Mexican Market in a strip mall a couple miles from home--I haven't been in there, because I don't speak Spanish, but DD21 is bilingual. I've been waiting for her to come home, so I don't make a total fool of myself going in there!

A couple of years ago I decided to do the stockings differently from our normal routine and it has worked out well, for at least my family.

As we are all adults with the exception of DGS (23 Months at Christmas and his stocking is huge) So my parents, DD, SIL and DGS and DH and I. So I have everyone bring a stocking stuffer for everyone else around a 5 dollars give or take, and wrapped ...no peeking.... I started putting Christmas ornaments on the out side of the stockings, this year I went the snowman route, one style for each family, in the past I have done Disney...of course, first name initials, pirates, Elf's... I put all the fav candy and some basic's. It's fun to see all the little stuff and have some surprises in the stockings as well.

Everyone will be getting a couple of gift cards, for Fast food, Starbucks, and Duncan donuts.
Toothbrushes, and travel size toothpaste
Razors, travel shaving cream
Everyone will get some movie that they said they wanted.
DD - travel clothing bag for the dirty clothes, hair stuff, mickey nail polish, Disney Gift card
DGS - Travel clothing bag for the dirty clothes, Disney gift card, small toys for the car & tub, books, coloring books and crayons, sidewalk chalk
SIL - batteries for all the gadgets, a key chain flashlight, and a Disney gift card, some gamers GC
DH - floating key chain, waterproof phone holder, koozies, and some other stuff for the boat, and strap for his rifle.
Mom - I found her a ring holder, from a artist shop up in the mountain. A scarf, and some crazy cat socks which is a joke between us.. she will love them. Elvis calendar
Dad - Home Depot GC, key chain flashlight, and small flash light for the car.

We are taking DD, DSIL, DGS to Disney in January to celebrate DGS 2nd birthday and 1st trip, so they will get some more travel size stuff. I keep my eyes out for little stuff all year so its not such a big hit all at once. Most of this I have but not finished yet...

Happy shopping and pixie dust for deal finding...pixiedust:

Hi Maria,,,,I'm in the same boat
I have lots of males to buy for (all adults)

so far I have:
sports socks
razors
shaving cream
pocket mini flashlights
barbecue lighter
duct tape--they always find a use for this,,it's a family joke that every time something breaks their dad will try to fix it with Duct tape.
travel size advil,mouth wash,toothpaste,dental floss,toothbrush
soap on a rope
Tic tacs
body wash
nail clippers
beard balm
lypsyl lip balm
AA and AAA batteries
poly to go--polysporin
new wallets--bit of cash tucked inside
texting gloves (hole in the thumb and pointer finger and textured grip).
slippers
mini bottle liquor
new hot beverage thermos
Play-Doh canisters with a bit of money
Bag of Ricola cough drops
canister of chewing gum.
Magic Bag (microwave heating bag)
Hand warmers
stainless steel flask

A few years ago I bought them all mini nerf guns and you'd have thought I was the BEST mom in the world....lord they drove me nuts shooting those things for almost a year.
One son is a computer analyst,,another a computer programmer and the third teaches at risk kids so tech stuff is out as they pretty much have all that kind of stuff.
I will be adding 7 or 8 gift cards in with the stocking stuff. I am looking for cute ways to wrap up the gift cards.

Hugs Mel

What a fabulous list -- lots of things I should absolutely include! I will also get my dad a measuring tape. He seems to need them and not be able to find them all the time. The duct tape is also a fantastic idea :D

sports socks
pocket mini flashlights
AA and AAA batteries

Batteries! Love that idea! Works for kids, adults, everyone...
For the flashlight, another twist is a headlamp style
Rain ponchos
Wallet Ninja -- saw it from someone at work and it looks like a good gadget

I've toyed with doing an "as seen on TV" theme one year -- Chia Pet, Sham Wow, Dryer Balls, you get the idea, but I don't think I planned far enough ahead this year to find them all at acceptable prices

I love when my MIL puts socks in the stockings. She always gets ones nicer and more fun than the basic white and black I get myself.

There's a Mexican Market in a strip mall a couple miles from home--I haven't been in there, because I don't speak Spanish, but DD21 is bilingual. I've been waiting for her to come home, so I don't make a total fool of myself going in there!

I say just march yourself in there without your DD :) I've become comfortable with looking like a fool at Asian markets - I just head in there with Google Translate and wander until I find what I need! And my trips down the completely wrong isles often end up in my finding something really cool. The staff there are usually more than happy to help you out too - they are very happy that you want to learn a bit about their culture! I sometimes get a few stares, but in a curious way, not a mean way - more often than not if I stand there for any length of time looking confused, some nice grandmother-type will come up and offer to help me figure things out LOL

Last edited:
DH - floating key chain, waterproof phone holder, koozies, and some other stuff for the boat, and strap for his rifle.

Thanks for that idea!

I got dh a stainless travel mug (like Yeti) that I forgot about, I will stick that in his stocking too.

We do stockings differently than most. We draw names at Thanksgiving and then each person fills a stocking for the name they drew. We have a $15 limit, so the challenge is to get as much stuff as you can for $15. It's pretty fun to see what people come up with.

Cost Plus World Market, World Market stores inside Bed Bath and Beyonds, and even the "ethnic" aisle near the ramen or Kosher foods at your nearest chain grocery (depending on where I've lived I have found things like Pocky and wasabi KitKats at Meijer, Kroger, Jewel-Osco, and Publix).

I say just march yourself in there without your DD :) I've become comfortable with looking like a fool at Asian markets - I just head in there with Google Translate and wander until I find what I need! And my trips down the completely wrong isles often end up in my finding something really cool. The staff there are usually more than happy to help you out too - they are very happy that you want to learn a bit about their culture! I sometimes get a few stares, but in a curious way, not a mean way - more often than not if I stand there for any length of time looking confused, some nice grandmother-type will come up and offer to help me figure things out LOL
I understand what you're saying, but I'll still probably wait for DD21 to come home (she arrives 12/22 from Ecuador). Not only do I speak zero Spanish, but I don't even know what to look for. Also, the store says if has "Mexican and Central American Items"--at least, that's how I translate the signs (I don't want to attempt to write the Spanish, I might offend someone with my ignorance). I'm not sure if they have South American stuff as well. So, I'll wait a couple months. Also, while it might not work out for me this year, if they turn out to be a good source, I can use them for treats for DD in the future.

OTOH, I found out today that a local chocolate shop has single-source chocolate from Peru and the Dominican Republic. The only problem is, I have to walk past the displays of truffles, caramels, and homemade fudge to get to them. Sigh!

I completely agree with this... just go on in there, when we lived in Atlanta I shopped at the Korean grocery stores all the time. Everyone was so nice, friendly and very helpful. I think that they had best produce around, and some different produce you don't see at most grocery stores. It was all bulk pricing and so we tried a lot of different items. DH enjoys Kirin and Sapporo (beer) and I could get it easily and at a good price. Lots and lots of interesting stuff. More than likely someone will speak a some English... Embrace this as a challenge to your self...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter