2016 Free Dining Watch

So, now that Disney has the modified QS Free Dining for the summer, how do we think this might impact possible Fall/Winter Free Dining and promotions?

I am wondering if they may possibly use a new tiering discount going forward.
For instance, use the new, modified QS for value resorts, regular QS for moderate resorts and DDP for deluxe resorts.
OR maybe just the new modified QS combined with some other discount. Similiar to S/P/D

I am at least thinking/hoping that there will be more of a discount than what is currently being offered over the summer since it is usually a much deeper discount in the fall/winter, or summer stays don't even get discounted at all.

Just wondering what you all thought...

I am hoping it won't impact it at all. Some were saying that due to the Olympics this summer their client base this year has dropped in the value resorts. This was offered to compensate for those groups.

Generally summer doesn't get or need discounts so just the offer is more than we are accustomed to not less.

I am hoping that is the case but all we can do is wait and see.

So, now that Disney has the modified QS Free Dining for the summer, how do we think this might impact possible Fall/Winter Free Dining and promotions?

For instance, use the new, modified QS for value resorts, regular QS for moderate resorts and DDP for deluxe resorts.
OR maybe just the new modified QS combined with some other discount. Similiar to S/P/D

I am at least thinking/hoping that there will be more of a discount than what is currently being offered over the summer since it is usually a much deeper discount in the fall/winter, or summer stays don't even get discounted at all.

I'm hoping NOT AT ALL!! I've only done free dining once in 2014. Would like to do it again this November and really don't want to see it gone already. I guess if what you say happens will we have to stay moderate (which we did last time but I was contemplating Value and pay upgrade to DDP) and upgrade to regular DDP. It saved us so much money on our last trip. In fact it was the only thing that made staying on site feasible.

I am hoping it won't impact it at all. Some were saying that due to the Olympics this summer their client base this year has dropped in the value resorts. This was offered to compensate for those groups.

Generally summer doesn't get or need discounts so just the offer is more than we are accustomed to not less.

I am hoping that is the case but all we can do is wait and see.

That is what I figure as well. I wouldn't think they would offer anything during the summer if they were pulling in the numbers they wanted. And with so many closures at HS and EP, I would think they would need some discount to pull more in before next year or so when Star Wars and Avatar open.

AND, There is now a discount offer going out for July only. Stay at moderate, get FREE quick serv meal + 20%! Here's hoping THAT's the deal they go with, if not FD!

I personally don't consider this discount/promotion a modification of Free QS Dining. Like others have said, it's being offered during a time that free dining of any type is not usually offered. This is our 7th trip in June over the last 14 years. This is the first time there has been any variation of "free" dining available to the general public (at least in the years we traveled). We did have free QS dining once, but that was through a PIN/UOC and not a general public offering. I think the Summer Meal plan is simply a slightly better deal than a room discount (at a Value resort during the summer) for some families. Perhaps Disney is trying to entice larger families to stay on property either in 2 rooms at a Value or in a suite at AoA rather than renting a house off property. This discount definitely benefits a family of 4 or more Disney adults more than a room discount would at a Value resort.

Another interesting thing is how early this discount was released. We've always had to wait until March/April for a general public discount for travel during late June. *Maybe* they really are having trouble filling the Value resorts this summer and they offered this discount to get an earlier jump on room reservations that wouldn't normally be made until late March when the discounts typically come out.

It will be interesting to see what happens when/if Free Dining comes out for the typical fall dates.

I hope you are right!
I guess I could see them changing it up though. The last few years free dining have been chaos as far as ADR's for TS meals. Maybe they are trying to find a way to give the same equivalent discount without the madness that free dining created.
We will have to wait and see, but it is fun to speculate. I just hope we don't have to wait for discount until end of August/September like in 2013!

Do you think they'll still give a couple days head start to Disney Visa holders?

They didn't for the Summer Meal promotion. It seems to be hit or miss over the last 2 years as to whether there is a head start for Disney Visa holders.

They didn't for the Summer Meal promotion. It seems to be hit or miss over the last 2 years as to whether there is a head start for Disney Visa holders.
...wow, that's really surprising....:eek:

Question from a newbie about free dining.. I am booked for September 10th-19th and i am hoping for FD. My question is is my rate i have already booked locked and then free dining added to that? Or will my rate be increased if free dining is added? I'm not sure if i got a room discount or not. My TA can't really tell me anything as she said it changes every year but i am trying to figure out what i should expect. Thanks!

Question from a newbie about free dining.. I am booked for September 10th-19th and i am hoping for FD. My question is is my rate i have already booked locked and then free dining added to that? Or will my rate be increased if free dining is added? I'm not sure if i got a room discount or not. My TA can't really tell me anything as she said it changes every year but i am trying to figure out what i should expect. Thanks!
Any discount you currently have will be void if you add the free dining discount. Only one discount is allowed per reservation. Also, if you booked a room at a standard rate prior to the rate increase, your reservation will also be subject to the new rates.

Any discount you currently have will be void if you add the free dining discount. Only one discount is allowed per reservation. Also, if you booked a room at a standard rate prior to the rate increase, your reservation will also be subject to the new rates.
....AND dates available....

Oh rats. I got an employee-price room from a family member so no free dining for me.

Just ask your travel agent if your current reservation is at rack rate for the room? She should know if she got you a discount.

Last edited:

I don't think the fall is a "slow" time anymore. Last year, people were reporting how crowded the fall period was. I don't think Disney needs to discount the fall as much as they used to.

I don't think the fall is a "slow" time anymore. Last year, people were reporting how crowded the fall period was. I don't think Disney needs to discount the fall as much as they used to.
....I think, between the F&WF and MNSSHP, the parks are getting fuller during the Fall...

....I think, between the F&WF and MNSSHP, the parks are getting fuller during the Fall...
Yes, I really wish they hadn't kept those extra days of F&W that the added last year.
And my sister did get an email for an additional discount for the summer. Up to 30% off room PLUS free park hopper!!! Seems very unusual, and that is an even more crowded time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter