• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2016 Destash - The more things you own, the more they own you

11 years later and finally we are finally changing out the ugly gold dining room light that our builder put in. The new one looks SO much nicer! Now what to do with the old one.
Drop it off at a Habitat For Humanity resale shop. You will get a credit for your taxes.

Small steps this weekend. Went through DH's clothes last night and made a small dent, just a quick pass through. We will tackle them again soon but everything fit back in his wardrobe so that's a plus.
I'm also almost caught up on laundry. so tired of clothes!!!!

Today I will finish up laundry, hit 2 boxes in the craft room, and maybe a box in the basement.

I've got a bit more added to the pile to give away. I dropped a box while cleaning the storage unit and out popped a handful of books that DS is no longer attached to. Out of the 10 or so I asked him about he kept 1. The others in the box were all given to him by his grandma so I kept those.

I also added 5 purses and 2 pair of shoes of mine. One pair looks like I never wore them. Slow but steady!!!!!!

I've been working on my walk-in closet. I donated two bags of items to the thrift store yesterday, and I'm confident I'll be able to donate another bag or two. Yay!

11 years later and finally we are finally changing out the ugly gold dining room light that our builder put in. The new one looks SO much nicer! Now what to do with the old one.

OMG the previous owner put all that brass/gold stuff in our house. I've been slowly replacing it over the years.
We took ours to the Habitat resale shop. I'd say if you are ever headed in that direction, put it somewhere until you head that way. Or check and see if you have a local church that has a rummage sale. Our church has a rummage sale every summer, I volunteer there so I store all my stuff until they are ready to take it.

This weekend I went through my dresser and got a full bag of clothes for donation and I threw out a bunch of old underwear I had in my drawer that looked terrible. I have no idea why I was hanging on to that. Now everything is neatly folded and I feel like there is enough room for everything instead of just shoving and hoping the drawers close. Next I need to tackle a big cabinet I have that's full of toiletry items and old makeup. I hope I can get it all organized and get rid of stuff that's expired. And if I have a ton of those little shampoos I'll either try to use them up or donate them like a PP mentioned.

Today is my day off. I love to try recipes off the internet and have been printing them off for years. They exist in assorted piles in my cookbook cabinet in no particular order. Today and went through each and every one. I made "cookbooks" with various themes using my three hole punch and several 3-ring binders. The binders I salvaged included a detailed WDW trip planning one from 2014 I hadn't bothered to clean out yet. Now, I have three binders with a different theme, all indexed in alphabetical order. Fortunately, when we try these recipes, we only kept the ones we liked or it would be crazy.

I also set up my 2016 accordian file for bills and statements. I have been doing this for 20 years. Each year has it's own 24 pocket file. I make my own labels using my Dymo label maker. The label maker by the way had been missing for a year because it was buried under the random piles of internet recipes.

I have recently been following The KonMari Method (/konmarimethod/) on facebook for the past few weeks. It is based on Marie Kondo's book.

I'm a teacher, and today was our first snow da.y. I always try to do at least 1 project on snow days so that I don't feel like a complete sloth.

Today I cleaned out and organized the lazy Susan cabinet in the kitchen and then tackled the boys' room. I cleaned out and organized their toy baskets, dresser, and closet.

I tackled more drawers today. I have an entire trash bag of weird coffee mugs and odds and ends that were my husbands stuff before we were married. I am going to put it with the garage sale stuff and see if he really needs them. Every single one is missing its lid. Plus we have 15ish disney mugs with lids to use instead. The disney mugs fit in our car cup holders so much better.

I also organized the bread baking drawer. I was able to put several extra things in the garage sale pile.

Now I am off to glue butterfly headbands. Each one is 7 pieces and I have about 60 to do :yay:

I finally got the Christmas totes and trees put in storage!!! DS helped me carry the heavy items down the looooong hallway to our storage locker. Lots of room in my apartment now!!!!

My mother is moving so I gave her the soft sided luggage set to put her clothes into for the move. DS also got rid of an entire bin of old toys and such at her place so I'm hoping I can get him to do the same here! He won't let go of anything yet and it's just taking up space in his closet completely untouched! I probably wouldn't mind if I knew I was only moving one more time but I might have a few more moves before I purchase something (although I'm desperately trying to fix my finances to purchase later this year!)

I did bring one item into the house that isn't clothing related and that is a painting for my walls! We did the painting with a twist which is where you go and take a painting class but you're allowed to drink wine and laugh with your friends. Mine actually turned out pretty good so I want to at least save it if I don't hang it up here in my apartment.

I've got piles everywhere though of stuff to get rid of. The person I keep trying to give it to won't text me back so I'm just going to donate it I think. My mom's neighbor's church takes clothing donations and does a clothing shop once a month so I will probably just donate to them.

Last weekend I got rid of another two large gift size bags of clothes to donate and a bag of toys. I also got rid of a bag large bag of trash and a broken printer.

I have a 1 large gallon size Ziploc bags of legos and 2 of littlest pets. I'm not sure what to sell those for and a large stack of old pokemon cards. I've heard some card can be worth money but how do I find out? Hopefully this weekend I can get rid of a few more things. My spare room is looking good, not so cluttered :dogdance:

Last weekend I got rid of another two large gift size bags of clothes to donate and a bag of toys. I also got rid of a bag large bag of trash and a broken printer.

I have a 1 large gallon size Ziploc bags of legos and 2 of littlest pets. I'm not sure what to sell those for and a large stack of old pokemon cards. I've heard some card can be worth money but how do I find out? Hopefully this weekend I can get rid of a few more things. My spare room is looking good, not so cluttered :dogdance:

Legos sell for LOTS, so do NOT undersell yourself! If you have full kits with instructions they could be worth MORE now than what you paid for them. And don't even think about selling mini-figures without checking their value! ESPECIALLY if you have any Star Wars now! Look around on Ebay and Craigslist for pricing before you sell them. If I had any spare cash right now I might ask you what you have! But alas, my Lego boy is needing college tuition more than he needs Legos right now! On 0n our local FB yard sale groups the Legos get sold without hours, if not minutes, so be prepared! ...................P

Another snow day today. Tackled the linen closet. I didn't have too much to get rid of because I went thru it last winter. Threw away a few things and organized the rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter