2015 FREE DINING THREAD _ All Questions HERE!!

I'm unfamiliar with the pin numbers I see mentioned in some messages. Could someone please explain? This is my first time trying for the DP and it was an epic fail!

The only advice I have for people is to keep trying. This morning there was nothing and by the evening I saved money and got free dining!

our TA booked us CSR 11/14-11/21 in a standard but we wanted it to be a little cheaper, so @ 6:30 central time my dh got online and booked pop - 11/13-11/20, standard, upgrade to TS, 5 day PH tixs - $2532, pop is our favorite value!!!

I'm unfamiliar with the pin numbers I see mentioned in some messages. Could someone please explain? This is my first time trying for the DP and it was an epic fail!
Unique Offer Codes (formerly called Personal Identification Numbers) are offers sent to randomly selected households by mail or email (or both). They are only good for the person/household they are sent to, and are sent by Disney Destinations. The offer(s) are usually similar to public offers, but typically are not as restrictive. There may be more dates and/or more resorts included in the UOC than there are in the public offer.

Ok, that makes sense. It did seem like more problems were occurring for people later in the morning, that's good you had great success early morning! It must have just been the site couldn't handle much of anything during good chunks of the day.

Early bird catches the worm?! :rolleyes: No but seriously, I'm super grateful it went so easily-- I know it could have been a frustrating mess just as randomly as it was for others. I have a feeling that once things settle down, there's going to be cancellations (especially those with double or triple bookings), and some additional FD rooms will be available as the days go on.

So after staying up till almost 1 hoping FD would drop, then waking up at 4:30 and having no luck booking online (kept getting error at checkout) and finally getting through on the phone (had to be a record, booked by 7:25) to get a studio at Old Key West 10/29 to 11/10 I just used the modify button to change it to a standard room at POR with DDP at full price. Saving almost $800 and getting the resort I really wanted. I know if I was able to get a Mod with FD those savings would be much greater but that wasn't an option, sooo COME ON UOC OR RO!!!!!!!

So I missed all of this. I waited until 12:30am. Got up at 5:30 and it was there. Because Im exhausted, can someone tell me what time it went live? Ive been on the phone with Disney (mostly on hold) literally all day. The TA website was practically useless and it was 3 hour on hold to get to talk to someone with a live system. I had to change my own ressie from Poly as it wasnt available. I switched from Poly to GF. Then thought about it some more and decided to add days and go with Beach Club. Then I read the resorts thread and saw someone with dates similar to mine scoring the Poly..so I called again and tweaked my dates by 2 days and was able to get the Poly back..BUT...I lost some dining I had with my original ressie, including BOG :( Oh well..its just a meal :) I have about 20 others to look forward to :)

Ack, I just can't leave things alone! Even at this hour, CSR standard rooms are still available for my dates, for about $100 more than my existing Pop preferred reservation. I know next to nothing about CSR though, because it was already sold out during the original dates I wanted to go, before I found out about FD December dates and adjusted my travel plans. So I never researched it. I would really prefer queen beds at a mod, but the theming at Pop seems cute. I'm looking at December, so I don't know if there will be much pool time, with 6 and 8 year old girls.

Which would you choose: Pop preferred or CSR standard for $100 more? Assuming it's still available, lol.

I had a hard time deciding what the best strategy for our family would be. We knew we were going, but weren't sure if we would book with the Dolphin, ASMu, POP, or POR if FD wasn't offered. I think that our indecision mixed with the sudden push yesterday that free dining could go out to the GP early, actually ended up working in our favor. I ended up booking it online this morning at 2:00-ish PST. My subconsciousness woke me up saying, "check for free dining!" I did and there it was! I had my laptop and iPad ready to go to book our 4 different rooms. I was glad I woke up early, because I was so slow adding in everyone's information. I don't know how successful I would have been booking online later in the morning.

I think waiting and booking when the offer came out paid off for us because it was so easy. However, we were booking for December so we still had some time. I don't know how long I could have held out if we were going earlier so I can understand why some had already booked their trips.

I can't say thank you enough to everyone for their encouragement, tips, and hints! I got lucky mainly because of your help! I hope that things will open up for those of you who have encountered challenges today. Hang in there! I had almost given up hope of getting FD for Christmas because of some of the rumors and what I heard from others, but found out that some dreams still can come true! :thanks:

Unique Offer Codes (formerly called Personal Identification Numbers) are offers sent to randomly selected households by mail or email (or both). They are only good for the person/household they are sent to, and are sent by Disney Destinations. The offer(s) are usually similar to public offers, but typically are not as restrictive. There may be more dates and/or more resorts included in the UOC than there are in the public offer.

Thank you!

Yes, I actually manged to do that! I even linked both reservations. However, I'm wondering if the dining plan is even worth it. There are 3 adults going and 3 children (Ages 3,5, and 9) I just did the math and the dining plan comes to $1,437 for us. I just don't see us eating that much food!

That was the plan. We did ADR for CRT and a bunch of character meals. However, the more I think about it im not sure that was a smart idea. Taking my kids out to a restaurant is pure torture! Lol they act like wild animals, especially my 3 yo son. So maybe we should ditch our ADR and stick with mostly quick service. I really don't know what to do! I want to give them an awesome experience with the character meals but I'm honestly not sure my son will sit long enough for anyone to enjoy it.

We went last year with our 2 boys ages 5 and 3 and our girl at 16 months. We had the regular dining plan and booked many character meal buffets. I kept all my receipts and added them up and Even with those buffets we didn't get our full money's worth. Plus, we found the character buffets to be a bit crazy for us. All 3 kids needed help getting food and we had to make sure to do it in between the characters. So we said for next time we would avoid the character buffets. Later I found that with an RO discount at a deluxe and paying for a few T'S meals out of pocket would be better and cheaper. Plus, we wouldn't be up against a schedule all the time. This year we will be a family of 5 plus another baby coming in June. I did the math for us to stay at POR with FD and it came out very cheap for us so we are getting the dining plan again. Haha! The only character meals we have booked are Akershus and Ohana for breakfast but we only did those because they are served family style. No running to the buffet! We do have one buffet booked and that's Biergarten mainly at the request of my husband. ;) I almost booked Tucker House but then remembered our rule about no character buffets! We also booked Hoop Dee Doo and are kind of glad it takes 2 credits. One less reservation we have to deal with! The quick service locations at the parks will be crowded so it is best to eat early, lunch at 11. My last advice is to bring activities for them during dinner so the adults can talk. New coloring books, look and find books, etc. We forgot this last year and a family next to us at Ohana did this and it seemed to work well for them! Hope that helps some, feel free to PM with questions!

Ack, I just can't leave things alone! Even at this hour, CSR standard rooms are still available for my dates, for about $100 more than my existing Pop preferred reservation. I know next to nothing about CSR though, because it was already sold out during the original dates I wanted to go, before I found out about FD December dates and adjusted my travel plans. So I never researched it. I would really prefer queen beds at a mod, but the theming at Pop seems cute. I'm looking at December, so I don't know if there will be much pool time, with 6 and 8 year old girls.

Which would you choose: Pop preferred or CSR standard for $100 more? Assuming it's still available, lol.
I would choose CSR. 100 more? Were you upgrading from QS to DDP at POP?

So I missed all of this. I waited until 12:30am. Got up at 5:30 and it was there. Because Im exhausted, can someone tell me what time it went live? Ive been on the phone with Disney (mostly on hold) literally all day. The TA website was practically useless and it was 3 hour on hold to get to talk to someone with a live system. I had to change my own ressie from Poly as it wasnt available. I switched from Poly to GF. Then thought about it some more and decided to add days and go with Beach Club. Then I read the resorts thread and saw someone with dates similar to mine scoring the Poly..so I called again and tweaked my dates by 2 days and was able to get the Poly back..BUT...I lost some dining I had with my original ressie, including BOG :( Oh well..its just a meal :) I have about 20 others to look forward to :)
I'm not exactly sure I was able to book at about 5 am.

It will be a big issue for people who have chosen water parks add on during free dining. Usually only 1 of 2 water parks will be open late fall into winter. Particularly as the weather gets colder into late October and into November and lord help us into December. I am 45 yrs old & I am SO over tight polyester bathing suit gotchies up my something. . . what ever on high speed water slides. But think positive . . . there is a lazy river somewhere. Maybe with my sweatshirt or hoodie on! This would be different if I was bringing kids with me. No matter the weather, my guess is that a young niece would drag me to one of the water parks even if ice was forming on nether regions. I would suggest that those who chose this mandatory must pay option over park hopper . . . that they really put some time & thought into weather channel & similar forecasts for their fall trip. Will this realistically work for you & your family?? Are you going to get the freezies just to get your monies worth? Good luck! And I mean this in the best and most positive way possible. Look into it thoroughly. I went with park hopper. And I don't know if I will get my money's worth out of this or not. But I can try. With my clothes on! I just can't do the Mr. Freezy water parks at this time of year. :)
OMG samsteele, you just made my night. This was laugh out loud funny! Thanks for the chuckle. :rotfl2:

I started calling at 7:30 am and wasn't able to get through until 12 pm. After being on the phone with a cm for over an hour I was able to secure a royal room at Port Orleans Riverside. I really just wanted a standard at any moderate but despite being somewhat flexible with my dates it wasn't possible to get a standard room at a moderate with free dining. Is it even possible to get a standard with free dining this year? I have in the past. I'm not happy paying for a fancy room AND the park hopper (which we won't use with little kids) but love free dining!

I was able to modify 5 reservations at POP for September 18-27 in a standard room. Like many of you I stayed up till 12:30am to see if it was a go then went to bed and woke up at 4:30ET to go to the bathroom and checked my IPad and saw it was available. I immediately modified 3 reservations but had to call my son to get his info and did his two rooms at around 5:30. Those last two took a little longer....site was beginning to lag. This site was down but when I finally got on the disboards around 7 was surprised to see how much trouble people were having. Feeling extremely lucky to have gotten all 5 rooms modified! Thanks to everyone for the heads up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter